Strange problem with my computer: need help !!

Hi !

I have a Athlon 1.2G, 256Mg Ram on Windows ME.  I used a compressed
gas duster to clean all internal parts of my computer (fans,
motherboard, cd-rom, etc..).  Since that event, I've got problem to
boot on my computer.  When the computer is cold, it boot and freeze 10
sec. after.  The monitor's shut down, the disk drive light get always
on but the drive don't work, everything on the keyboard or on the
mouse is "close"...  and I can't reset from the front switch (I must
close the power supply).  I must do that "game" up to 8 times before
it runs correctly.

When the computer past all the step of the opening, i can reload it
without difficulty.  It is like an old car that must get heat before
getting started...  Everything seems to be "ok" (?) until I play a
game that use a lot of computer ressource and he do the same thing
like the first opening of the day...

I was thinking that the power supply was the cause of the problem but
I try another power supply and the problem still remains...

Can someone help me please ????  I don't know what to do with that !!

Thanks !!
0
estjean
1/8/2004 6:36:44 PM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

estjean@videotron.ca (Etienne) wrote in message news:<4cbe2406.0401081036.5742bcdb@posting.google.com>...
> Hi !
>
> I have a Athlon 1.2G, 256Mg Ram on Windows ME.  I used a compressed
> gas duster to clean all internal parts of my computer (fans,
> motherboard, cd-rom, etc..).  Since that event, I've got problem to
> boot on my computer.

This is not a god idea, as compressed air puts a lot of pressure on
whatever its directed at. Hence there will be failures at times when
doing this.

Regards, NT
0
bigcat
1/9/2004 6:55:56 PM
There are a couple of things that might be causing this. Try removing
and replacing the cables on your hard drive. And also make sure the
cooling fan on the CPU is properly plugged in and spinning when the
system is powered up.

If neither of these work, you might go to my website at
http://basichardware.50megs.com and click on the downloads link. There
is a diagnostics program there called Tuff-Test Lite that you can run
from a floppy disk. Run the full systems diagnostics at least three
times and see if anything fails. One problem you'll run into with the
light version is that it only tests a limited amount of RAM and only
runs full diagnostics on small hard drives. But it should be able to
detect a chipset issue if you have one.

estjean@videotron.ca (Etienne) wrote in message news:<4cbe2406.0401081036.5742bcdb@posting.google.com>...
> Hi !
>
> I have a Athlon 1.2G, 256Mg Ram on Windows ME.  I used a compressed
> gas duster to clean all internal parts of my computer (fans,
> motherboard, cd-rom, etc..).  Since that event, I've got problem to
> boot on my computer.  When the computer is cold, it boot and freeze 10
> sec. after.  The monitor's shut down, the disk drive light get always
> on but the drive don't work, everything on the keyboard or on the
> mouse is "close"...  and I can't reset from the front switch (I must
> close the power supply).  I must do that "game" up to 8 times before
> it runs correctly.
>
> When the computer past all the step of the opening, i can reload it
> without difficulty.  It is like an old car that must get heat before
> getting started...  Everything seems to be "ok" (?) until I play a
> game that use a lot of computer ressource and he do the same thing
> like the first opening of the day...
>
> I was thinking that the power supply was the cause of the problem but
> I try another power supply and the problem still remains...
>
> Can someone help me please ????  I don't know what to do with that !!
>
> Thanks !!
0
mgcl10
1/10/2004 3:48:11 PM
Hi. If you have already checked and verified that your CPU fan is
still working properly and is properly attached to the CPU/heatsink,
then you MIGHT have a defective CPU. I also would recommend NOT using
the compressed gas things anymore. you may have already have damaged
your hardware, but i do not know for sure.

-Mike

mgcl10@yahoo.com (Michael Graves) wrote in message news:<527c74f5.0401100748.5ca36aec@posting.google.com>...
> There are a couple of things that might be causing this. Try removing
> and replacing the cables on your hard drive. And also make sure the
> cooling fan on the CPU is properly plugged in and spinning when the
> system is powered up.
>
> If neither of these work, you might go to my website at
> http://basichardware.50megs.com and click on the downloads link. There
> is a diagnostics program there called Tuff-Test Lite that you can run
> from a floppy disk. Run the full systems diagnostics at least three
> times and see if anything fails. One problem you'll run into with the
> light version is that it only tests a limited amount of RAM and only
> runs full diagnostics on small hard drives. But it should be able to
> detect a chipset issue if you have one.
>

> estjean@videotron.ca (Etienne) wrote in message news:<4cbe2406.0401081036.5742bcdb@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi !
> >
> > I have a Athlon 1.2G, 256Mg Ram on Windows ME.  I used a compressed
> > gas duster to clean all internal parts of my computer (fans,
> > motherboard, cd-rom, etc..).  Since that event, I've got problem to
> > boot on my computer.  When the computer is cold, it boot and freeze 10
> > sec. after.  The monitor's shut down, the disk drive light get always
> > on but the drive don't work, everything on the keyboard or on the
> > mouse is "close"...  and I can't reset from the front switch (I must
> > close the power supply).  I must do that "game" up to 8 times before
> > it runs correctly.
> >
> > When the computer past all the step of the opening, i can reload it
> > without difficulty.  It is like an old car that must get heat before
> > getting started...  Everything seems to be "ok" (?) until I play a
> > game that use a lot of computer ressource and he do the same thing
> > like the first opening of the day...
> >
> > I was thinking that the power supply was the cause of the problem but
> > I try another power supply and the problem still remains...
> >
> > Can someone help me please ????  I don't know what to do with that !!
> >
> > Thanks !!
0
computerdude14
1/12/2004 1:39:05 AM
Try another power supply.
0
sw01122001
1/12/2004 4:00:24 AM
bigcat@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in message news:<a7076635.0401091055.29f96748@posting.google.com>...
> estjean@videotron.ca (Etienne) wrote in message news:<4cbe2406.0401081036.5742bcdb@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi !
> >
> > I have a Athlon 1.2G, 256Mg Ram on Windows ME.  I used a compressed
> > gas duster to clean all internal parts of my computer (fans,
> > motherboard, cd-rom, etc..).  Since that event, I've got problem to
> > boot on my computer.
>
> This is not a god idea, as compressed air puts a lot of pressure on
> whatever its directed at. Hence there will be failures at times when
> doing this.
>

> Regards, NT

removal, where vaccuuming can cause static electricity. I would check
every conceivable item projecting from the mobo to insure that nothing
has become separated or broken, such as  a jumoer pin,, or
.....anything! Use your manual for the correct position of pins.

Mike
0
axipolti