Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive

I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me
after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from
these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these
2 disks as some sort of temporary storage.

In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks,
you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow
you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the
data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what
this is called and therefore don't know where to buy one.

Any ideas ?

comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

J wrote:

> I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me
> after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from
> these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these
> 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage.
>
> In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks,
> you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow
> you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the
> data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what
> this is called and therefore don't know where to buy one.
>
> Any ideas ?

Never mind ... got it now. It is called:

storage enclosure, or
ATA-to-USB disk enclosure, or
usb disk enclosure