'Better' alternatives to X10 ?

Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe

I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
(interference) so what are the alternatives ??

Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
difference !

I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
the fuse board ??

Dave....

0
Dave
12/29/2003 9:18:50 AM
comp.home.automation 5337 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

pretty tough to get much worse ;-)

0
John
12/29/2003 2:26:23 PM
"Dave" <myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??
>
>X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe
>
>I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
>it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
>(interference) so what are the alternatives ??
>
>Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
>difference !
>
>I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
>the fuse board ??

We are X-10 controlled in the UK, and I use many X-10 devices that I
personally have modified.  Reliability is OK, and many mods are easy to
do.  See my Redoak site.
--
JohnPerry@redoak.co.ukNOSPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk      www.eze-buy.co.uk

Cheers,
  Peter

"Dave" wrote in message ...
>Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??
>
>X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe
>
>I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
>it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
>(interference) so what are the alternatives ??
>
>Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
>difference !
>
>I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
>the fuse board ??
>

>Dave....

0
Peter
12/31/2003 9:13:15 PM
In article <bsorhu$defhn$1@ID-87770.news.uni-berlin.de>,
 "Dave" <myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

This might have a promising future:

http://www.zigbee.org/

I'd be worried about the cost and reliability though.

I have quite a bit of X-10 stuff in my house and I swore I won't spend
another dime on expanding it, although I may replace existing modules
when they fail. It's just too flaky.

....Tom

--
Use the contact address listed on my web site to reply via email. Thanks.
http://TWSheppard.com/
<myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

In Europe, especially Germany, there is EIB. EIB is a good, solid and
expensive solution used widely in larger buildings. It is wire-based,
but powerline and wireless extentions are available.

I't main drawback is the aim at the high end and the lack of entry
solutions and hobbyists appeal.

My sister just rebuilt their home (Germany) and got EIB installed by the
electrician to control lighting. This was not outrageously expensive,
otherwise they would not have used it. I don't have any details yet,
unfortunately.

Markus
--
  Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
  Bas du Ross´┐Ż 14b             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678

[News] [Rival] Vista Ditching in Progress, Might Windows ME be Better Than Vista?
True Confessions of OS Switchers ,----[ Quote ] | LAPTOP interviews three former Vista users who moved on to Macs. And one Mac | guy who gave up the Apple for Vista `---- http://laptopmag.com/Features/True-Confessions-of-OS-Switchers.htm?Page=2 Should I move from ME to Vista?? ME is better?? http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2264194&SiteID=17 ...

[News] Linux Installation on Tablet PC is a Snap, Better Than Windows
Running Ubuntu Linux on Acer Tablet PCs Part III ,----[ Quote ] | Installing Ubuntu was a snap. Since I had chosen to completely get rid of | Windows altogether, instead of dual booting, I backed up all my sensitive | data, music, Word documents, photos, etc., to my external NTFS hard drive. | | [...] | | In the end, it was completely worth the time and effort put into | getting all the tablet and computer features offered under Ubuntu. | The stability of Linux and its memory management ability alone | convinced me to switch. Of course, there are hundreds of other | benefits. Since this ...

how to randomize List::Util::shuffle() better?
I want to pick three things at random from a list, so: use List::Util 'shuffle'; ... sub pick { my @items = shuffle(@_); return join(",", @items[0,1,2]); } but every time I call this (repeatedly within the same run) with the same input list, I get the same three items back out. Is there any way to randomize shuffle more? Nomen Nescio (nobody@dizum.com) wrote on MMMMCDXIX September MCMXCIII in <URL:news:d7b178281da2b949ba2fff6baecbde80@dizum.com>: ... I want to pick three things at random from a list, so: ... ... use List::Util 'shuffle'; ... ...

Alternate SAS Method / Efficiency Help Requested
Hi. I'm seeking advice on an alternative way to solve my problem. Let me describe the problem: First my two datasets: ANCHOR GROUPS (AG) - 100 obs & 500 variables NEW PERSONS (NP) - 5,000 obs & 500 variables (these are the same variables as in dataset AG) I have my anchor groups and need to figure out which group each of the 5000 people from NP are most similar to. Unfortunately data reduction techniques with the variables is not an option currently. To do this I've been doing the following ... Iteratively going through NP and merging 1 observation's...

iMic alternative recommendation needed
Guys, I hate to bug you again - i just figured out what camera to use, now i realised that i'll be needing an USB mic for my mini mac (it does not have a mic in jack) - anyway i am trying to figure out what will work but all options (i.e. iMic) are very expensive (like $40 for adapter only). I wanted to see if someone can take a look at this ebay thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-Audio-Microphone-Adapter-Virtual-5-1-Sound-card_W0QQitemZ6883326033QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and let me know if it will work with mac. best, Vasa In article <1148258900.045703.179600@i40g2...

Why Leopard is Better Than Vista
Curse and discuss. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHK8Irb3P5E&feature=related In article <T-Bone-978C2D.00303730062010@news.giganews.com>, Chance Furlong <T-Bone@megakatcity.com> wrote: > Curse and discuss. > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHK8Irb3P5E&feature=related You're a little late to the party with this, aren't you? :-) -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD....

need better wireless antenna
I live about 2 -3 blocks from city provided wireless access point. I can pick it up on my laptop but the signal is just short of being able to get on to the net. Is there no easy attachable, maybe USB type antennas that would give me better reception? USB type, no, but yes, there are external antennas. You need to get one that matches your wireless card (the issue is the connector, different brands use different connectors). If it's a laptop with internal WiFi, you may need to use a PC card or a USB external device (one which has an accessible antenna connector). By using a very d...

An alternative register access..?
Hi Guys, I am looking for an alternative means of register access in a microcontroller. Currently my get() function looks like this.. ------------------------ implementation in comm.c ------------------------ /*A simple get() function*/ unsigned char port0_get_char(void) { unsigned char input_c; // Poll the SSR RDRF bit until it is ready while ( !(Serial_Port0_Status_Register.BIT.RDRF)) { ; } input_c = Serial_Port0_Receive_Data_Reg; // Clear the SSR RDRF bit Serial_Port0_Status_Register.BIT.RDRF = SET_BIT_LOW; return input_c; } ...............................

Is there a better way...
....to do this? \usepackage{mathrsfs} \newcommand{\nat}{\mathbb N} \begin{eqnarray*} f:&\nat\to\nat \hspace{30pt}g:&\nat\to\nat\\ &x\mapsto x^2 \hspace{40pt}&x\mapsto 3x\\ \end{eqnarray*} In few words i want to have something like this f: N->N x->3x so that "x" is under the first N and "3x" is under the second N... I used "eqnarray"... is there a better (more appropriate) way to do this? Thank you, Luca -- Linux registered user #291568 (http://counter.li.org/) Electronic Frontier Foundation Member (http://www.eff.org/) Mandrake...

Which is the better way to parse this file?
Hi, I'm interested in parsing a file containing this "structure": """dataset { int catalog_number; sequence { string experimenter; int32 time; structure { float64 latitude; float64 longitude; } location; sequence { float depth; float temperature; } xbt; } casts; } data;""" I want to obtain a dictionary like this: >>> pprint.pprint(data) {'casts': {'experimenter': None, 'location': {'latitude': None, 'longitude&#...

Latex or Pdflatex.. which is better ?
I started using pdflatex after using number of years with latex. I am aware that latex need .eps file and pdflatex need .pdf files. 1) Can all that latex can do also be done with pdflatex? Which gives a better quality? 2) Is there any difference in quaity with .eps and .pdf image files when working with latex or pdflatex? I am still confused after reading many postings (I have no problem in creating .eps or .pdf images). Thanks. -Marsup Am 18.07.2010 05:45, schrieb marsup: > I started using pdflatex after using number of years with latex. > > I am aware that...

Re: Learning to program better and in a more organized way #49
>>While normalized data can work very well for saving space, not having the= data in the way that I need to run >>my analysis (which is wide) causes pr= oblems, because when one wants to quickly run analysis using another >>vari= able or set of variables in my list, I don't want to at that point transfor= m the data. =20 =20 If you were a data wherehouse manager then you would know that storage is t= he one of the lowest concerns as storage space is dirt cheap these days. A= ll the other goodies like being able to properly update, profile, maintain = , etc.... your dat...

Re: PROC SQL with alternate keys #4
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:16:28 -0500, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET> wrote: >Paul, > >Can you get what you want by using: > >where A.key = (b.key1 or b.key2) > >HTH, >Art >--------- >On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:45:34 -0800, Paul <paulvonhippel@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > >>I'm trying to join a small table A to a large table B where A.key can >>join B.key1 or (rarely) B.key2. Including key2 in the join slows the >>query substantially. That is. >> >>(1) select * from A inner join B where A.key=B.key1 >> is pretty ...

that is better ?
Hello i will buy an alphaserver, a gs80 or a es47. both with 4 cpu, but i think that es47 use marvel processor. Is this option better that and gs80) thanks in advance Cesar I understand the gs80 is 8-CPU capable whereas the es47 is only 4-CPU capable so there are immediately questions of scalability if that interests you. "cesar" <adfadf@adfaf.com> wrote in message news:c8lbrv$k8k$1@nsnmpen3-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net... > Hello > i will buy an alphaserver, a gs80 or a es47. both with 4 cpu, but i think > that es47 use marvel processor. Is this o...

heresy: BF1942 is better singleplayer and LAN
I think BF1942 is more fun in singleplayer and coop on a LAN. I play on the internet sometimes, but on the whole I find the LAN and singleplayer games better. Maybe because they take so much of the "human" element out. You know, all the base campers, all the airplane whores, etc. Another thing is the bots play the game much like the developers probably intended to play it. They attack in groups and tend to stay together and use some basic teamwork. It's too bad the selection of commands you can use is pretty limited, but it's often better playing with bots than anonym...

refresh rate misery after fglrx/alternatively, which modeline do I use?
I'm not too optimistic about anyone answering this because they wouldn't even look at the question on ubuntuforums and someone on this group asked the same question 2 weeks ago without an answer, but I'm going to give it a shot. Alright, after I finally got the fglrx drivers working I now have hardware acceleration, which is nice. But even though everything seemed graphically more responsive, I started getting that little pit of nausea in my stomach, and my eyes felt like they weren't getting enough light, feelings I had long ago found were the signs of a bad refresh ...

Re: SCons build tool as an alternative to makefiles
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:49:01 +0000, young wrote: "Patrick Dubois" <prdub...@gmail.com> writes: > Just to come back on the subject of Scons for a minute... Any input on > that tool? Or does anyone have another suggestion for a make > alternative? > > In a very-belated follow up: I've been using SCons for building projects in Xilinx ISE (12.2), and I find it to be pretty suitable. Tasks like extracting build options and dependencies from project files are quite manageable, at least with the newer XML-based .xise files. I've uploaded an example SConstruc...

Intel: Smaller Is Better
"Intel: Smaller Is Better" http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06012725.htm?logvisit=y&source=estmarhln001999&npu=y ...

PCI-based SATA
Hello all - I need to replace a hard drive in my 2004-vintage PowerMac g4/MDD. Rather than replace it with another IDE drive, I was considering buying a SATA/PCI card along with a SATA drive, but have some questions: Will a PCI-based SATA card (Mac-compatible, of course) be completely "transparent"? That is to say, bootable and "completely accessible" as are the IDE drives on their respective buses? Can it be "seen" and acted upon by all the Mac "utility apps"? Will there be any _noticeable_ increase in drive speeds, access times, etc.? I'...

Re: Learning to program better and in a more organized way #41
Jerry: Just a hunch based on my experience working with analysts and statisticians in universities, the Pentagon, the Federal Reserve Board, NIH, CDC, the Census Bureau, the IRS, Westat, and a few other organizations. Not really a survey, I'd say closer to a census. ;> No doubt that most automated procedures for statistical analysis require wide data sets... That fact reflects more, I'd say, a mind set of analysts and statisticians than a technical constraint. Wide flat files look like displays of matrices. So it makes sense to store data in that data structure. Or does it? Data s...

Your getline is better than mine
I have done an implementation of the file reading routine. The "man page" is at http://home.tiac.net/~cri/2007/gflspec.html. It contains links to a directory containing two source files called getfline.c and getfline.h. The directory URL is http://home.tiac.net/~cri_a/source_code/getfline/. The code has been run through a test suite, but the suite was not so extensive that I will guarantee that it is ironclad. Corrections and suggestions are always welcome. The routine does not check for an attempt to read the same file at the same time from two different places. Presumably thi...

Tibco, Adobe Offer Open-source AJAX Alternatives
http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/282934/388984/8257/0/ -- -- http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html ...

Thank goodness for PL/I (better than C, better than Fortran, better than Pascal)
I transcribed a program from Pascal to PL/I. The author claimed that only an array required long integers; all scalar variables were ordinary (short) integers. Fortunately, as always, I enabled subscriptrange, size, and fixedoverflow, for a fixed-point overflow occurred part-way in the results (derived iteratively). That allowed me to ascertain quickly which variable was involved. ...

X10 Controller Question
I've been sent here from alt.home.repair<g> Is it possible for an X10 "control box" to show (say, with an LED maybe) whether a remote device is on/off or has been sent the on/off signal? I would like to control my water heater re-circulating pump (or garage drive-way lights) - devices I cannot normally see from inside the house. I'm sure someone will just say "switch it on/off - then you will know" - but the notification on the re-circulating pump is useful to know whether it has been on or off, because it takes a few minutes for the water to get to the sho...

Which do you like better?
Suppose as part of some macrology I need a function (to be executed at macroexpansion time) that takes a symbol and returns a function that converts a value to the "type" named by the symbol. "Type" is in quotes because it's not necessarily a Lisp type--just a symbol. The mapping will be defined via a macro define-type-conversion. Here are two ways to implement that macro. Anyone have any strong feelings and/or arguments that one is better than the other? (defmacro define-type-conversion (name (value) &body body) `(eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel ...