'Better' alternatives to X10 ?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe

I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
(interference) so what are the alternatives ??

Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
difference !

I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
the fuse board ??

Dave....

0
Reply Dave 12/29/2003 9:18:50 AM

See related articles to this posting

> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

pretty tough to get much worse ;-)

0
Reply John 12/29/2003 2:26:23 PM

"Dave" <myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??
>
>X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe
>
>I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
>it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
>(interference) so what are the alternatives ??
>
>Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
>difference !
>
>I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
>the fuse board ??

We are X-10 controlled in the UK, and I use many X-10 devices that I
personally have modified.  Reliability is OK, and many mods are easy to
do.  See my Redoak site.
--
JohnPerry@redoak.co.ukNOSPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk      www.eze-buy.co.uk

Vantage (www.vantagecontrols.com) has a hardwired solution that they sell in
Europe. I don't think it'll be cheaper than X10 (but it will be more
reliable!)

Cheers,
  Peter

"Dave" wrote in message ...
>Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??
>
>X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe
>
>I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on
>it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10
>(interference) so what are the alternatives ??
>
>Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any
>difference !
>
>I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in
>the fuse board ??
>

>Dave....

0
Reply Peter 12/31/2003 9:13:15 PM

In article <bsorhu$defhn$1@ID-87770.news.uni-berlin.de>,
 "Dave" <myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

This might have a promising future:

http://www.zigbee.org/

I'd be worried about the cost and reliability though.

I have quite a bit of X-10 stuff in my house and I swore I won't spend
another dime on expanding it, although I may replace existing modules
when they fail. It's just too flaky.

....Tom

--
Use the contact address listed on my web site to reply via email. Thanks.
http://TWSheppard.com/

In article <bsorhu$defhn$1@ID-87770.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Dave"
<myozone@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ??

In Europe, especially Germany, there is EIB. EIB is a good, solid and
expensive solution used widely in larger buildings. It is wire-based,
but powerline and wireless extentions are available.

I't main drawback is the aim at the high end and the lack of entry
solutions and hobbyists appeal.

My sister just rebuilt their home (Germany) and got EIB installed by the
electrician to control lighting. This was not outrageously expensive,
otherwise they would not have used it. I don't have any details yet,
unfortunately.

Markus
--
  Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
  Bas du Ross´┐Ż 14b             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

'Better' alternatives to X10 ?
Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ?? X10 modules are VERY expensive here in Europe I'm hopefully building a new house and would like to do some automation on it lighting,powerpoints,shutters BUT I'm not over impressed with X10 (interference) so what are the alternatives ?? Oh yes this is in France with proper a 3 phase supply if makes any difference ! I guess I'm think along the lines of a Ocelot RS485 network and relays in the fuse board ?? Dave.... > Is there a better alternative to X10 on a new build house ?? pretty tough to get much worse ;-...

X10 Alternatives
I am assisting my family in building a new home. We would like to automate a number of things (Thermostat, Security, small number of lights, etc). I have been poking around a bit on the web and there seems to be some limitations and issues with X10, although it seems to be the dominant standard. In our case we can add what ever dedicated wiring is necessary for some other the other standards with little additional cost during the construction phase. What would be the optimum solution ??? Brad Jones wrote: > I am assisting my family in building a new home. We would like to > automate a...

Insteon and other X10 alternatives?
I had an X10 set-up in a condo that I just moved out of. I'm now in a house, and was thinking of doing an Insteon set-up. To my surprise, when I search for the term "Insteon" in this group, there are no hits! I'm curious how well Insteon works in the real world, and if there are other alternatives I should be considering that go beyond X10. Thanks! There have been many comments regarding the Insteon system here. Need a better search engine or algorithm or source?? I am in the same boat as you...looking for a new control and better system. The X10 is so unreliable I have...

x10 XRay alternative
I recently bought a couple of wide angle x10 cams which work pretty well. I am having a devil of a time getting the free XRay software to work well with Windows XP despite using their latest drivers and tech support help (frequent freezes, doesn't like to dial my ISP to email me pictures, etc.). Is there another software program out there that interfaces with the x10 cameras better - specifically for emailing captured images? Thanks. Shawn, I've noticed that no one has responded to you as yet so, I thought I'd offer this to you. I wrote a program that is actually a MultiView...

Is there an RF alternative to X10
I'm getting fed up the lag between operating a switch and lights coming on with my X10 setup. Guests often turn ligths back off because they haven't come on straight away. That makes my HA system appear to be completely crap. Is there an RF alternative available? One where lamp and appliance modiles (or their equivalent) can be controlled directly from the remote, rather than via the powerline? A system that could use my existing X10 rf remotes would be even better. Failing that, does anyone know of a module, kit or schematic available that would allow me to make my own RF reciev...

Are There Better Alternatives for %GOTO ?
Dear SAS users, I am having some difficulty with using %GOTO. It seems that %GOTO is best when you want to exit the macro. However, I needed something that would jump to another part of macro, not exiting it. For example, %macro test(n); %if &n=1 %then %goto location1 ; %if &n=2 %then %goto location2 ; %location1: SAS code... (datasteps, procedures, etc..) %location2: SAS code... (datasteps, procedures, etc..) %mend test; %test(1); The problem with this code is that both sets of SAS code under %location1 and %location2 will be r...

Better Alternative to Pegasus
Here's my needs: * Single user, multiple addresses * Ability to send bulk emails / newsletters. ..... actually, in short, what I'm looking for is an alternative to Outlook Express, but with more features, but which is more newbie-friendly than Pegasus. This is some pretty non-intuitive software right here. thanks for any advice. regards, Mark I'm sure pegasus would suit my needs if I had the time to get to grips with it. But I don't. There are too many words that I've never encountered before and don't have time to learn about. thanks again...

Is there a better alternative to this loop idiom?
I have a loop which has multiple termination conditions and should return different values depending on which of the conditions was the cause of the loop termination. Here is an example (I hope it's clear): (do (...init...) ((or term1 term2 ...) (cond (term1 ...) (term2 ...) .... So, first I test to see if any of the termination conditions is true, then use a cond to choose the return value accordingly. This bugs me because the term[n] forms can be compound forms and significantly complex. This means that there is duplication of code - the code fo...

Any better alternative for MS Graph
Hello Offices Ms Graph isn't good to draw complex diagrams and I can't format it in the way I need to do. Does anyone knows a better programm that can work together with access to draw diagrams??? Thank you Sincerely Marane If you have MS Access 2002, take a look at PivotCharts. Denny G. "marane moll" <marane@gmx.li> wrote in message news:bkapg7$1l9$06$1@news.t-online.com... > Hello > > Offices Ms Graph isn't good to draw complex diagrams and I can't format it > in the way I need to do. > Does anyone knows a better programm that can work t...

Are There Better Alternatives for %GOTO ? #2
Dear SAS users, I am having some difficulty with using %GOTO. It seems that %GOTO is best when you want to exit the macro. However, I needed something that would jump to another part of macro, not exiting it. For example, %macro test(n); %if &n=1 %then %goto location1 ; %if &n=2 %then %goto location2 ; %location1: SAS code... (datasteps, procedures, etc..) %location2: SAS code... (datasteps, procedures, etc..) %mend test; %test(1); The problem with this code is that both sets of SAS code under %location1 and %location2 will be r...

better alternative to repeatindex.sty?
I have two issues with my indexes: 1) Sometimes a column begins with a subentry. 2) Subscripts/descenders from one entry are too close to the superscripts/ascenders in the entry below it. An answer to 1) is repeatindex.sty, but I couldn't get it going on my system (LyX 1.5.3 on Linux and Mac). Another answer (since my index is short and covers twenty letters) is to increase the stretchabilities of the vertical space between letters (and to increase penalty for "bad" breaks), but that appears hard. Mostly, my question is, is there an update for repeatindex, or an e...

a better alternative to collapse data?
Hi, I have a data set "dsin" look like below, /**********/ data dsin; length idindex 3 code $3; input idindex code $; datalines; 1 256 1 287 1 985 2 660 2 966 3 811 3 809 3 178 3 271 4 352 4 210 ; run; To collapse the data above by "idindex" to the desired layout below: idindex cd_1 cd_2 cd_3 cd_4 1 256 287 985 2 660 966 3 811 809 178 271 4 352 210 I have the code below to do so /****/ proc sort data=dsin; by idindex; run; data dsout (drop=cdcnt code); /*because for each distinctive value of...

Better alternative to Backup Buddy?

X10 not working, asking for help with an alternative...
I currently have eight appliance modules (AM466) controlling various devices in a very small space. The modules are turned on/off via self- written software on a 24/7 Windows XP PC, using a Firecracker transmitter and an RCA base module (HC50RX) transciever. The base module is on a different circuit from the appliance modules. All of the appliance modules are on the same circuit. For the first two month or so, things worked reliably, but now some of the appliance modules refuse to turn on in the morning. If the device is unplugged from the module, then plugged in, the devi...

Alternative and probable better way to printf
Hello friends, I am writing some string to a gstring using printf as: g_string_append_printf (ustring, "@%s{%s,\n",string1, string0); if( strlen(string2)!=0 ||string2!=NULL) g_string_append_printf (ustring,"\tAuthor=\"%s\",\n", string2); if( strlen(string3)!=0 ||string3!=NULL) g_string_append_printf (ustring,"\tYear=\"%s\",\n", string3); if( strlen(string4)!=0 ||string4!=NULL) g_string_append_printf (ustring, "\tTitle=\"%s\",\n", string4); GLib's are probably not exactly imp...

Surface Pro revisited
As you might remember, I bought and liked a Surface Pro but returned it for various reasons. 1. Not very good on the lap 2. Short battery life (about 5 hours best case) 3. Bulky and a bit heavy as a tablet But I did say that it was a great ultrabook to use from flat space to flat space. After returning mine and standing in a fairly short line of others returning either Surface Pros, RTs or Surface 2s, I looked to see if they had any alternative in stock. No luck. So I ordered an Asus T1000-TA convertible w/64Gb SSD. Here's what I think of it! For the price o...

[revisited] Re: a better alternative to collapse data?
Paul, If I want to use the "DO UNTIL (EOF);" loop (shown below) to wrap around your loop of "do _i_ = 1 by 1 until (last.idindex) ;" (see your code below) , how can I EASILY reset the values in the PDV to be missing at the top of each iteration, especially when the data set has A LOT of variables? The DO loop I'm tempted (due to the potential efficiency improvement it can make) to use is here /****************/ DO UNTIL (EOF); SET DSIN (END=EOF); ....... OUTPUT; END; /****************/ So your code with my revision (shown in capit...

A better alternative to try catch block? Pretty Please?
Is there a more concise way to do something like the the desired code below? The gripe is with the try-catch syntax. It takes *way* too many lines of code to evaluate a conditional expression when zero or more parts of the conditional expression may trigger an error. In this case, the trigger is a call to a non-defined (null) object. In other words, how can you do a more simple 'try' statement that simply spits out true or false, depending on whether the 'tried' code threw an error or not? Defining a function don't seem to work because you can't pass the 'try&...

Table with 230 Fields....what's a better alternative?
I'm making a database to record training that employees have recieved. For each training excercise, they recieve a mark between 1 and 3. Initially, when there weren't so many training elements, I had put the employee first name, last name, section, First Aid, Forklift operation... and so on in one table. However, I now have a list of 227 Training elements that need to be completed (each recieving a mark between 1 and 3). When I tried to put them all in one table, it said there were too many fields. Then I split them up into two tables and tried to join them with a query based on firs...

But there are "better" cheaper alternatives in PC space
I finally found the shittiest keyboard I've seen in my career (and that includes the mainframe terminal monster keyboards) the winner is: SVEN Basic 301. A certifiable most horrendous piece of shit of all times. Unsurprisingly made in china (december 2011) "AD" wrote in message news:1fac5012-0b5f-4932-8db8-9847d097c9e3@hq4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... >I finally found the shittiest keyboard I've seen in my career (and >that includes the mainframe terminal >monster keyboards) >the winner is: SVEN Basic 301. A certifiable most horrendous pie...

Re: [revisited] Re: a better alternative to collapse data?
jerry I don't see your problem you only have data coming from the source. These columns/variables would be the subject of a natural retain anyway. It is only variables that you conditionally assign a value that create an issue. Since these are already in your code, you know about them, so just put their names in a list for call missing(); like >data dsout (keep = idindex cd:) ; > DO UNTIL (EOF); > do _i_ = 1 by 1 until (last.idindex) ; > /**sample data set "dsin" is given at bottom*/ > set dsin END=EOF; > by idindex ; > ...

[News] Open Source Alternatives to Proprietary Offers Get Better
Look out VirtualPC and VMWare... VirtualBox is in the house ,----[ Quote ] | VMWare: You need to provide your desktop virtualization product for free, and | I'm not talking about some BS "Player" for free, I mean a full-fledged | VirtualBox or VirtualPC contending piece of software. With options like | VirtualBox and VirtualPC available for free, you are starting to lose some | serious clients, including myself. `---- http://www.nerdyhearn.com/blog.php?id=45 Dimdim: A good, free, open source Webex competitor (invites!) ,----[ Quote ] | One big benefit of this product ...

Re: [revisited] Re: a better alternative to collapse data? #2
I don't think you will see much speed improvement by coding your own EOF loop but you should test it. I think the only vars that need to be initialised to missing are CD1-CD4 see if this works, I did not test it. data dsout (keep = idindex cd:) ; array cd $ 3 cd1 - cd4 ; *<============= Moved; DO UNTIL (EOF); call missing(of cd1-cd4); *<========= Look here; do _i_ = 1 by 1 until (last.idindex) ; /**sample data set "dsin" is given at bottom*/ set dsin END=EOF; by idindex ; cd = code ; end; OUTPUT; END; run ; ...

Any better alternative anti-spam GPL'ed program?
Hi, I found that Spamassassin is rejecting all email with rar, zip attachement. I don't know what other alternative I can choose from. Thanks Sam On 2004-12-12, sam scribbled these curious markings: > I found that Spamassassin is rejecting all email with rar, zip attachement. Then you've misconfigured it. RTFM. It works fine for me. By the way, WTF is "Boardband"? Best Regards, Christopher Nehren -- I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated". -- Ken Thomp...

New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives
New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Some Alternatives By WALTER S. MOSSBERG PalmOne's Treo smart phone has been the best combination of phone, PDA and e-mail device on the market. It had a few key flaws, though, so the company has now released a new, improved model, the Treo 650, to be sold by Sprint starting next month. But the rest of the industry is catching on to the idea of making a phone that, like the Treo, actually has a full keyboard for banging out e-mails. So the competition will be tougher for the new Treo than it was for its predecessor. Over t...