Active home pro stopped working

Hi,
   Well, the x10 tech support phone automated system doesn't work. The
customer support phone automated system doesn't work. I couldn't even get a
sales person. Wow.
   This group has been great. Wonder why I even bothered with the company.
Please help.
    It appears that my Active Home Pro has stopped working.
    The only thing I can think of is I had to turn on and off many circuit
breakers looking of a light fixture I was repairing.
    I opened the program and I get a warning saying that the interface isn't
connected and I see a tiny icon in the lower left task bar saying hardware
not connected.
    I plugged it in and checked the usb plug as suggested and no change.
    I removed the batteries and put them back in and no change.
   I see the icons for my devices and I hear them click on and off when I do
it with the mouse, but lights do not respond.
    Any suggestions?
                          Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/5/2007 5:32:19 PM
comp.home.automation 5341 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

IIRC, in one of the drop down menus you can specify which house code to
monitor. Be sure the one you want is checked.

 Tim Dolan wrote:
> Hi,
>   Well, the x10 tech support phone automated system doesn't work. The
> customer support phone automated system doesn't work. I couldn't even
> get a sales person. Wow.
>   This group has been great. Wonder why I even bothered with the
> company. Please help.
>    It appears that my Active Home Pro has stopped working.
>    The only thing I can think of is I had to turn on and off many
> circuit breakers looking of a light fixture I was repairing.
>    I opened the program and I get a warning saying that the interface
> isn't connected and I see a tiny icon in the lower left task bar
> saying hardware not connected.
>    I plugged it in and checked the usb plug as suggested and no
>    change. I removed the batteries and put them back in and no change.
>   I see the icons for my devices and I hear them click on and off
> when I do it with the mouse, but lights do not respond.
>    Any suggestions?
>                          Tim fm CT

0
BruceR
3/5/2007 8:16:02 PM
"BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message
> IIRC, in one of the drop down menus you can specify which house code to
> monitor. Be sure the one you want is checked.
>
> Tim Dolan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   Well, the x10 tech support phone automated system doesn't work. The
>> customer support phone automated system doesn't work. I couldn't even
>> get a sales person. Wow.
>>   This group has been great. Wonder why I even bothered with the
>> company. Please help.
>>    It appears that my Active Home Pro has stopped working.
>>    The only thing I can think of is I had to turn on and off many
>> circuit breakers looking of a light fixture I was repairing.
>>    I opened the program and I get a warning saying that the interface
>> isn't connected and I see a tiny icon in the lower left task bar
>> saying hardware not connected.
>>    I plugged it in and checked the usb plug as suggested and no
>>    change. I removed the batteries and put them back in and no change.
>>   I see the icons for my devices and I hear them click on and off
>> when I do it with the mouse, but lights do not respond.
>>    Any suggestions?
>>                          Tim fm CT

When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and then I
get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far as I
can get.
               Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/7/2007 5:47:31 PM
"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message

> "BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> IIRC, in one of the drop down menus you can specify which house code to
>> monitor. Be sure the one you want is checked.
>>
>> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>   Well, the x10 tech support phone automated system doesn't work. The
>>> customer support phone automated system doesn't work. I couldn't even
>>> get a sales person. Wow.
>>>   This group has been great. Wonder why I even bothered with the
>>> company. Please help.
>>>    It appears that my Active Home Pro has stopped working.
>>>    The only thing I can think of is I had to turn on and off many
>>> circuit breakers looking of a light fixture I was repairing.
>>>    I opened the program and I get a warning saying that the interface
>>> isn't connected and I see a tiny icon in the lower left task bar
>>> saying hardware not connected.
>>>    I plugged it in and checked the usb plug as suggested and no
>>>    change. I removed the batteries and put them back in and no change.
>>>   I see the icons for my devices and I hear them click on and off
>>> when I do it with the mouse, but lights do not respond.
>>>    Any suggestions?
>>>                          Tim fm CT
>>
> When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and then
> I get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far as
> I can get.
>               Tim fm CT
In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.

0
John
3/7/2007 6:13:01 PM
"John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote:

>"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> IIRC, in one of the drop down menus you can specify which house code to
>>> monitor. Be sure the one you want is checked.

>> When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and then
>> I get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far as
>> I can get.
>>               Tim fm CT
>In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
>AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
>into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.

I think both you and Bruce are thinking of ActiveHome and the CM11A. The OP
is asking about ActiveHomePRO and the CM15A. While I haven't followed it
closely I do not recall any lockup complaints about the CM15A.

For the OP, you probably will have much better luck if you ask your
questions in the X-10 forums on the X-10 web site. There are many CM15A/AHP
users there. I suspect you have an issue with the USB connection under XP.

     http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php#2

http://davehouston.net
roZetta-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
0
nobody
3/7/2007 6:27:47 PM
"John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote in message

> "Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> IIRC, in one of the drop down menus you can specify which house code to
>>> monitor. Be sure the one you want is checked.

>> When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and then
>> I get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far as
>> I can get.
>>               Tim fm CT
> In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
> AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
> into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.

Hi John,
              I think I did but I'll check and do it again. Thanks
                          Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/7/2007 9:36:10 PM
"Dave Houston" <nobody@whocares.com> wrote in message
> "John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and
>>> then
>>> I get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far
>>> as
>>> I can get.
>>>               Tim fm CT
>>In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
>>AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
>>into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.
>>

> I think both you and Bruce are thinking of ActiveHome and the CM11A. The
> OP
> is asking about ActiveHomePRO and the CM15A. While I haven't followed it
> closely I do not recall any lockup complaints about the CM15A.
>
> For the OP, you probably will have much better luck if you ask your
> questions in the X-10 forums on the X-10 web site. There are many
> CM15A/AHP
> users there. I suspect you have an issue with the USB connection under XP.
>
>     http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php#2
>
> http://davehouston.net
> roZetta-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Dave,
                    I'll do it.
                                 Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/7/2007 9:47:55 PM

> "Dave Houston" <nobody@whocares.com> wrote in message
>> "John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message

>>>In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
>>>AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
>>>into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.
>>>

>> I think both you and Bruce are thinking of ActiveHome and the CM11A. The
>> OP
>> is asking about ActiveHomePRO and the CM15A. While I haven't followed it
>> closely I do not recall any lockup complaints about the CM15A.
>>
>> For the OP, you probably will have much better luck if you ask your
>> questions in the X-10 forums on the X-10 web site. There are many
>> CM15A/AHP
>> users there. I suspect you have an issue with the USB connection under
>> XP.
>>
>>     http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php#2
>>
>> http://davehouston.net
>> roZetta-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Thanks Dave,
>                    I'll do it.
>                                 Tim fm CT
I did it. Still no go.
                           Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/8/2007 12:41:47 AM
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:27:47 +0000, Dave Houston wrote:

> "John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "BruceR" <razrbruce@NOgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> When the program opens I get the indication that it's registered and then
>>> I get the screen that says the interface is not connected. That as far as
>>> I can get.
>>>               Tim fm CT
>>In addition to removing the batteries did you disconnect it from the
>>AC power while the batteries were removed?  They are known to get
>>into a lock-up condition and that is the only way to fix it.
>>

> I think both you and Bruce are thinking of ActiveHome and the CM11A. The OP
> is asking about ActiveHomePRO and the CM15A. While I haven't followed it
> closely I do not recall any lockup complaints about the CM15A.

It's not the same lockup as we've seen with the CM11A but generally
a failure to communicate, as the OP is experiencing, or other odd
behavior.  One user on the forum you mention below has published
a hardware hack to install a reset button, which as I recall
involved more than just opening the battery leads.

> For the OP, you probably will have much better luck if you ask your
> questions in the X-10 forums on the X-10 web site. There are many CM15A/AHP
> users there. I suspect you have an issue with the USB connection under XP.
>
>      http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php#2

Good advice. The AHP software driver can get mucked up and some
temporary files may need to be deleted to straighten it out.
(At least that fixed it for me on one occasion.) My unit has
been sitting on the shelf for quite some time now and I
unfortunately don't remember what is required.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

0
Charles
3/9/2007 8:57:03 PM
"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@snet.net> wrote in message

I decided to go back to the beginning of this thread to see if there were
any clues we missed.

>     It appears that my Active Home Pro has stopped working.
>     The only thing I can think of is I had to turn on and off many circuit
> breakers looking of a light fixture I was repairing.

Can you tell us more about what you were doing when you were repairing this
light fixture.  What was wrong with it?  What kind of bulb is in it?

>     I opened the program and I get a warning saying that the interface
isn't
> connected and I see a tiny icon in the lower left task bar saying hardware
> not connected.
>     I plugged it in and checked the usb plug as suggested and no change.

There used to be a test program called USBVIEW.EXE that could be found at
www.usb.org but I don't see it there anymore.  Perhaps you could find it or
a similar program to test your USB port.

>     I removed the batteries and put them back in and no change.
>    I see the icons for my devices and I hear them click on and off when I
do
> it with the mouse, but lights do not respond.

Are you sure the CM15A is defective or is it possible those lights are
compact fluorescents or are located near a UPS or some other signal sucker?
If some appliance modules are being controlled by the CM15A successfully but
light modules are not, I would suspect some signal problem rather than an
issue with the CM15A.   I am curious.  How can the appliance modules work
via mouseclick in Activehome if the USB bridge is non-functional?  It seems
to me you can either communicate with it or you can't.  What you're
describing is something in the middle.

Do you have an X-10 signal meter like the ESM-1?

--
Bobby G.

0
Robert
3/9/2007 11:58:47 PM
"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote:

>I am curious.  How can the appliance modules work
>via mouseclick in Activehome if the USB bridge is non-functional?  It seems
>to me you can either communicate with it or you can't.  What you're
>describing is something in the middle.

I think what he's describing are the sound effects in the AHP software.

http://davehouston.net
roZetta-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
0
nobody
3/10/2007 12:57:08 AM
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote:
>
> >I am curious.  How can the appliance modules work
> >via mouseclick in Activehome if the USB bridge is non-functional?  It
seems
> >to me you can either communicate with it or you can't.  What you're
> >describing is something in the middle.
>
> I think what he's describing are the sound effects in the AHP software.

My bad.  I guess it was when he wrote: "when I do it with the mouse" that my
mind got clouded with disturbing images so I missed the obvious.  (-:  I
don't think I've ever run Activehome on a PC that had sound, either!

No doubt they added those highly useful sound effects to cover the sound of
the real relays clacking.  Good programming to keep the sounds alive even
though the signals aren't reaching their intended targets.

Still, I suspect there's a clue in this occurring after he played circuit
panel roulette and switched off multiple circuits.  A PC with a dead CMOS
battery could recycle to a default state that knocked out a
specially-configured USB port but that's *highly* unlikely.

I'd do a file sort on the C: drive to see what's been "fingered" in the last
few weeks that might be USB related.  Then I'd look in Device Mangler to see
that all was OK.  Then I might plug a USB mouse into the port in question to
see if it worked.  Then I might unload/reload Activehome.  If that didn't
solve it, I'd Ghost the current state to DVD-R and restore from a known-good
image backup.

--
Bobby G.

0
Robert
3/10/2007 2:19:44 AM
"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote in message
> "Dave Houston" <nobody@whocares.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote:
>>
>> >I am curious.  How can the appliance modules work
>> >via mouseclick in Activehome if the USB bridge is non-functional?  It
> seems
>> >to me you can either communicate with it or you can't.  What you're
>> >describing is something in the middle.
>>
>> I think what he's describing are the sound effects in the AHP software.
>
> My bad.  I guess it was when he wrote: "when I do it with the mouse" that
> my
> mind got clouded with disturbing images so I missed the obvious.  (-:  I
> don't think I've ever run Activehome on a PC that had sound, either!
>
> No doubt they added those highly useful sound effects to cover the sound
> of
> the real relays clacking.  Good programming to keep the sounds alive even
> though the signals aren't reaching their intended targets.
>
> Still, I suspect there's a clue in this occurring after he played circuit
> panel roulette and switched off multiple circuits.  A PC with a dead CMOS
> battery could recycle to a default state that knocked out a
> specially-configured USB port but that's *highly* unlikely.
>
> I'd do a file sort on the C: drive to see what's been "fingered" in the
> last
> few weeks that might be USB related.  Then I'd look in Device Mangler to
> see
> that all was OK.  Then I might plug a USB mouse into the port in question
> see if it worked.  Then I might unload/reload Activehome.  If that didn't
> solve it, I'd Ghost the current state to DVD-R and restore from a
> known-good
> image backup.
>
> --
> Bobby G.
Hi Folks,
               I'm back to this ng. It was recommended to go to the x10
group which I did. However, after registering and reading the "Read this
first" stuff. I still could not determine where to start.
I sent my symptoms to a person that had written tips. Mike, I think it was.
I'm still where I was. Here's the situation.
All my x10 lights etc work via the hand held controllers and the plug in
controllers.
When I open the AHP it says I'm registered, and I see my units on the
screen. Then I get a screen that says "the active home pro usb interface
isn't connected to your computer...........
It is connected. I've checked that, I've removed the batteries and unplugged
it and still the same.
I can move the switches and hear them click on the screen but they do not
operate any units.
X10 is no help at all.
Please help me if you can.
                    Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/12/2007 11:20:56 PM
(I'm sorry if this was already suggested)
Have you tried uninstalling the cm15a stuff, rebooting, reinstall?  I've
seen stuff get wacked out, driver wise, under windows.

Maybe as a first step try a different USB port on the PC.  Windows
should see this as "new HW" and install the driver.

Check under control panel/system/hw to see if the driver is running...

Tim Dolan wrote:

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote in message
>> "Dave Houston" <nobody@whocares.com> wrote in message

>> seems
>>>
>>> I think what he's describing are the sound effects in the AHP software.
>>
>> My bad.  I guess it was when he wrote: "when I do it with the mouse"
>> that my
>> mind got clouded with disturbing images so I missed the obvious.  (-:  I
>> don't think I've ever run Activehome on a PC that had sound, either!
>>
>> No doubt they added those highly useful sound effects to cover the
>> sound of
>> the real relays clacking.  Good programming to keep the sounds alive even
>> though the signals aren't reaching their intended targets.
>>
>> Still, I suspect there's a clue in this occurring after he played circuit
>> panel roulette and switched off multiple circuits.  A PC with a dead CMOS
>> battery could recycle to a default state that knocked out a
>> specially-configured USB port but that's *highly* unlikely.
>>
>> I'd do a file sort on the C: drive to see what's been "fingered" in
>> the last
>> few weeks that might be USB related.  Then I'd look in Device Mangler
>> to see
>> that all was OK.  Then I might plug a USB mouse into the port in
>> question to
>> see if it worked.  Then I might unload/reload Activehome.  If that didn't
>> solve it, I'd Ghost the current state to DVD-R and restore from a
>> known-good
>> image backup.
>>
>> --
>> Bobby G.
> Hi Folks,
>               I'm back to this ng. It was recommended to go to the x10
> group which I did. However, after registering and reading the "Read this
> first" stuff. I still could not determine where to start.
> I sent my symptoms to a person that had written tips. Mike, I think it was.
> I'm still where I was. Here's the situation.
> All my x10 lights etc work via the hand held controllers and the plug in
> controllers.
> When I open the AHP it says I'm registered, and I see my units on the
> screen. Then I get a screen that says "the active home pro usb interface
> isn't connected to your computer...........
> It is connected. I've checked that, I've removed the batteries and
> unplugged it and still the same.
> I can move the switches and hear them click on the screen but they do
> not operate any units.
> X10 is no help at all.
> Please help me if you can.
>                    Tim fm CT
0
AZ
3/13/2007 2:08:04 AM
"AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Hi Folks,
>>               I'm back to this ng. It was recommended to go to the x10
>> group which I did. However, after registering and reading the "Read this
>> first" stuff. I still could not determine where to start.
>> I sent my symptoms to a person that had written tips. Mike, I think it
>> was.
>> I'm still where I was. Here's the situation.
>> All my x10 lights etc work via the hand held controllers and the plug in
>> controllers.
>> When I open the AHP it says I'm registered, and I see my units on the
>> screen. Then I get a screen that says "the active home pro usb interface
>> isn't connected to your computer...........
>> It is connected. I've checked that, I've removed the batteries and
>> unplugged it and still the same.
>> I can move the switches and hear them click on the screen but they do not

OK,
      Thanks. I checked the control panel, hardware etc.
but I realized that I didn't know what I was looking for. What am I looking
for?
Also,  I think my AHP is a download, so I don't want to delete it. I'll look
more thoroughly for the Cd.
                 Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/15/2007 12:33:41 PM
It really depends on the version of windows (checking device drivers).

On XP, click start settings->control panel, then "system".  Then click
on the "hardware" tab.  Then "device manager".  Look at the stuff under
"Universal Serial Bus controllers" to start.

(That's what I see...  First time I've had my cm15a connected to windows
in over a year....  It's been on a linux box for a long time!)

First thing to try, is just plugging the cm15a to a different USB port
on your PC.

Tim Dolan wrote:

> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
>> (I'm sorry if this was already suggested)
>> Have you tried uninstalling the cm15a stuff, rebooting, reinstall?
>> I've seen stuff get wacked out, driver wise, under windows.
>>
>> Maybe as a first step try a different USB port on the PC.  Windows
>> should see this as "new HW" and install the driver.
>>
>> Check under control panel/system/hw to see if the driver is running...
>>

>> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>>
>>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@YAH00.COM> wrote in message

>>> Hi Folks,
>>>               I'm back to this ng. It was recommended to go to the
>>> x10 group which I did. However, after registering and reading the
>>> "Read this first" stuff. I still could not determine where to start.
>>> I sent my symptoms to a person that had written tips. Mike, I think
>>> it was.
>>> I'm still where I was. Here's the situation.
>>> All my x10 lights etc work via the hand held controllers and the plug
>>> in controllers.
>>> When I open the AHP it says I'm registered, and I see my units on the
>>> screen. Then I get a screen that says "the active home pro usb
>>> interface isn't connected to your computer...........
>>> It is connected. I've checked that, I've removed the batteries and
>>> unplugged it and still the same.
>>> I can move the switches and hear them click on the screen but they do
>>> not operate any units.
>>> X10 is no help at all.
>>> Please help me if you can.
>>>                    Tim fm CT
>
> OK,
>      Thanks. I checked the control panel, hardware etc.
> but I realized that I didn't know what I was looking for. What am I
> looking for?
> Also,  I think my AHP is a download, so I don't want to delete it. I'll
> look more thoroughly for the Cd.
>                 Tim fm CT

0
AZ
3/16/2007 2:53:47 AM
> It really depends on the version of windows (checking device drivers).
>
> On XP, click start settings->control panel, then "system".  Then click on
> the "hardware" tab.  Then "device manager".  Look at the stuff under
> "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to start.
>
> (That's what I see...  First time I've had my cm15a connected to windows
> in over a year....  It's been on a linux box for a long time!)
>
> First thing to try, is just plugging the cm15a to a different USB port on
> your PC.
>
> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>
>> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
>>> (I'm sorry if this was already suggested)
>>> Have you tried uninstalling the cm15a stuff, rebooting, reinstall?  I've
>>> seen stuff get wacked out, driver wise, under windows.
>>>
>>> Maybe as a first step try a different USB port on the PC.  Windows
>>> should see this as "new HW" and install the driver.
>>>
>>> Check under control panel/system/hw to see if the driver is running...

>> OK,
>>      Thanks. I checked the control panel, hardware etc.
>> but I realized that I didn't know what I was looking for. What am I
>> looking for?
>> Also,  I think my AHP is a download, so I don't want to delete it. I'll
>> look more thoroughly for the Cd.
>>                 Tim fm CT

Woody,
              I don't have another port with that kind of plug..???
                      Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/16/2007 10:09:38 PM
You only have one usb port?  That is very odd!

Head to bestbuy or comp usa and get a usb hub. (~$20).  Plug in the hub,
then the cm15a into the hub.  You'll get "new HW" for the hub, and "new
hw" for the cm15a.

What version of windows are you running, as this might not work on pre
win2k.

Tim Dolan wrote:

> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
>> It really depends on the version of windows (checking device drivers).
>>
>> On XP, click start settings->control panel, then "system".  Then click
>> on the "hardware" tab.  Then "device manager".  Look at the stuff
>> under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to start.
>>
>> (That's what I see...  First time I've had my cm15a connected to
>> windows in over a year....  It's been on a linux box for a long time!)
>>
>> First thing to try, is just plugging the cm15a to a different USB port
>> on your PC.
>>
>> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>>
>>> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message

>>> OK,
>>>      Thanks. I checked the control panel, hardware etc.
>>> but I realized that I didn't know what I was looking for. What am I
>>> looking for?
>>> Also,  I think my AHP is a download, so I don't want to delete it.
>>> I'll look more thoroughly for the Cd.
>>>                 Tim fm CT
>>>
> Woody,
>              I don't have another port with that kind of plug..???
>                      Tim fm CT
0
AZ
3/17/2007 3:58:45 AM
> You only have one usb port?  That is very odd!
>
> Head to bestbuy or comp usa and get a usb hub. (~$20).  Plug in the hub,
> then the cm15a into the hub.  You'll get "new HW" for the hub, and "new
> hw" for the cm15a.
>
> What version of windows are you running, as this might not work on pre
> win2k.
>
> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>
>> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
>>> It really depends on the version of windows (checking device drivers).
>>>
>>> On XP, click start settings->control panel, then "system".  Then click
>>> on the "hardware" tab.  Then "device manager".  Look at the stuff under
>>> "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to start.
>>>
>>> (That's what I see...  First time I've had my cm15a connected to windows
>>> in over a year....  It's been on a linux box for a long time!)
>>>
>>> First thing to try, is just plugging the cm15a to a different USB port
>>> on your PC.

>> Woody,
>>              I don't have another port with that kind of plug..???
>>                      Tim fm CT

Hi Woody,
                Well, wait to you hear this. I think all is ok now. I'll
know for sure when one of the timed events takes place. anyway.....
 Earlier,I was having troubles with the AHP , long story short, it was
suggested to move the USB unit away from the computer, and I did.
        Time went by and a new problem developed. That's when I started this
thread.
 Long story short again, I forgot I had moved the unit and I found the old
Active Home (not the pro) unit on the floor which was still plugged in to
the computer so I've been doing al the nonsense with the old unit in the
wrong port.
   I noticed the new AHP unit upstairs in an outlet and BINGO ! The "what a
dumb ass, I am light went on.
    See ya,
               Tim fm CT

0
Tim
3/21/2007 6:10:39 PM
Tim Dolan wrote:

> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
>> You only have one usb port?  That is very odd!
>>
>> Head to bestbuy or comp usa and get a usb hub. (~$20).  Plug in the
>> hub, then the cm15a into the hub.  You'll get "new HW" for the hub,
>> and "new hw" for the cm15a.
>>
>> What version of windows are you running, as this might not work on pre
>> win2k.
>>
>> Tim Dolan wrote:
>>>
>>> "AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message

>>> Woody,
>>>              I don't have another port with that kind of plug..???
>>>                      Tim fm CT
>
> Hi Woody,
>                Well, wait to you hear this. I think all is ok now. I'll
> know for sure when one of the timed events takes place. anyway.....
> Earlier,I was having troubles with the AHP , long story short, it was
> suggested to move the USB unit away from the computer, and I did.
>        Time went by and a new problem developed. That's when I started
> this thread.
> Long story short again, I forgot I had moved the unit and I found the
> old Active Home (not the pro) unit on the floor which was still plugged
> in to the computer so I've been doing al the nonsense with the old unit
> in the wrong port.
>   I noticed the new AHP unit upstairs in an outlet and BINGO ! The "what
> a dumb ass, I am light went on.
>    See ya,
>               Tim fm CT

Memory is the second thing to go, so they say! :)

Hope it works out for you.

The cm15a has worked really well for me - but I use it in a "non normal"
way.  It's a "dumb" x10 device connected to a linux server (it's got no
events loaded).  I also turned off the RF...

-w
0
AZ