Inexpensive electronic water meter

I am looking for a whole house water usage meter that can be tied into
a home automation system.

Looking for a positive displacement type device that will be accurate at
both low and high water flow.  Maybe one the closes a contact every
0.5 or 0.1 gallon that goes through the meter.  I would like to be able
to generate an alarm if even a small amount of water usage is detected
for a long time such as when a faucet or toilet is left on or leaking.
I would also like to keep a running monthly total of  water usage.
Converting the pulses into rates and totals does not need to be a feature
of the meter, this will be done in custom PC software.

0
JimF
10/23/2003 8:06:56 PM
comp.home.automation 5346 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:06:56 GMT, "JimF" <JimF@2atl.hamptontilley.com>
wrote in message  <AxWlb.10944$e01.22205@attbi_s02>:

>I am looking for a whole house water usage meter that can be tied into
>a home automation system.
>
>Looking for a positive displacement type device that will be accurate at
>both low and high water flow.  Maybe one the closes a contact every
>0.5 or 0.1 gallon that goes through the meter.  I would like to be able
>to generate an alarm if even a small amount of water usage is detected
>for a long time such as when a faucet or toilet is left on or leaking.
>I would also like to keep a running monthly total of  water usage.
>Converting the pulses into rates and totals does not need to be a feature
>of the meter, this will be done in custom PC software.

You can buy a good 3/4"NPT water meter for less than US$50 from, eg,  eBay

This one has a "trickle leak indicator" :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2567388037&category=1267

Glue a small piece of magnet to the sweep dial for 10-gallon pulse and on
to the "trickle indicator" to detect leaks.

Detect the change in magnet position with a Hall affect detector glued to
the top of the dial. They can be obtained from many sources for less than a
dollar  eg
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=UGN-3030T&type=store

Last I knew, Ed Cheung had a write-up of something similar at his web site:
http://www.edcheung.com

Or buy a meter with built-in contact closure, eg:
http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html

HTH ... Marc
MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com
www.ECOntrol.org
0
MFHult
10/23/2003 9:18:10 PM
Thanks Marc, for the good links!

<MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com> wrote in message news:fghgpvc0aahaf2g6lhj4umfmrkklv74hcm@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:06:56 GMT, "JimF" <JimF@2atl.hamptontilley.com>
> wrote in message  <AxWlb.10944$e01.22205@attbi_s02>:
>
> >I am looking for a whole house water usage meter that can be tied into
> >a home automation system.
> >
> >Looking for a positive displacement type device that will be accurate at
> >both low and high water flow.  Maybe one the closes a contact every
> >0.5 or 0.1 gallon that goes through the meter.  I would like to be able
> >to generate an alarm if even a small amount of water usage is detected
> >for a long time such as when a faucet or toilet is left on or leaking.
> >I would also like to keep a running monthly total of  water usage.
> >Converting the pulses into rates and totals does not need to be a feature
> >of the meter, this will be done in custom PC software.
> >

> You can buy a good 3/4"NPT water meter for less than US$50 from, eg,  eBay
>
> This one has a "trickle leak indicator" :
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2567388037&category=1267
>
> Glue a small piece of magnet to the sweep dial for 10-gallon pulse and on
> to the "trickle indicator" to detect leaks.
>
> Detect the change in magnet position with a Hall affect detector glued to
> the top of the dial. They can be obtained from many sources for less than a
> dollar  eg
> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=UGN-3030T&type=store
>

> Last I knew, Ed Cheung had a write-up of something similar at his web site:
> http://www.edcheung.com
>
> Or buy a meter with built-in contact closure, eg:
> http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html
>
> HTH ... Marc
> MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com
> www.ECOntrol.org

0
JimF
--------------070705030109040703040405

FYI, the URL for my municipal water meter monitor is:
http://www.edcheung.com/automa/water.htm

It is possible with my setup to measure water usage of the home with a
resolution of one
tablespoon (currently set up with a resolution of two tablespoons = 0.01
gallon resolution).

MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:06:56 GMT, "JimF" <JimF@2atl.hamptontilley.com>
>wrote in message  <AxWlb.10944$e01.22205@attbi_s02>:
>

>>I am looking for a whole house water usage meter that can be tied into
>>a home automation system.
>>
>>Looking for a positive displacement type device that will be accurate at
>>both low and high water flow.  Maybe one the closes a contact every
>>0.5 or 0.1 gallon that goes through the meter.  I would like to be able
>>to generate an alarm if even a small amount of water usage is detected
>>for a long time such as when a faucet or toilet is left on or leaking.
>>I would also like to keep a running monthly total of  water usage.
>>Converting the pulses into rates and totals does not need to be a feature
>>of the meter, this will be done in custom PC software.
>>

>You can buy a good 3/4"NPT water meter for less than US$50 from, eg,  eBay
>
>This one has a "trickle leak indicator" :
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2567388037&category=1267
>
>Glue a small piece of magnet to the sweep dial for 10-gallon pulse and on
>to the "trickle indicator" to detect leaks.
>
>Detect the change in magnet position with a Hall affect detector glued to
>the top of the dial. They can be obtained from many sources for less than a
>dollar  eg
>http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=UGN-3030T&type=store
>

>Last I knew, Ed Cheung had a write-up of something similar at his web site:
>http://www.edcheung.com
>
>Or buy a meter with built-in contact closure, eg:
>http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html
>
>HTH ... Marc
>MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com
>www.ECOntrol.org

--------------070705030109040703040405

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
FYI, the URL for my municipal water meter monitor is:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.edcheung.com/automa/water.htm">http://www.edcheung.com/automa/water.htm</a><br>
It is possible with my setup to measure water usage of the home with a
resolution of one<br>
tablespoon (currently set up with a resolution of two tablespoons =
0.01 gallon resolution).<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com">MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com</a> wrote:<br>
 cite="midfghgpvc0aahaf2g6lhj4umfmrkklv74hcm@4ax.com">
  <pre wrap="">On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:06:56 GMT, "JimF" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:JimF@2atl.hamptontilley.com">&lt;JimF@2atl.hamptontilley.com&gt;</a>
wrote in message  &lt;AxWlb.10944$e01.22205@attbi_s02&gt;:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I am looking for a whole house water usage meter that can be tied into

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2567388037&category=1267">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2567388037&amp;category=1267</a>

Glue a small piece of magnet to the sweep dial for 10-gallon pulse and on
to the "trickle indicator" to detect leaks.

Detect the change in magnet position with a Hall affect detector glued to
the top of the dial. They can be obtained from many sources for less than a
dollar  eg
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=UGN-3030T&type=store">http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&amp;item=UGN-3030T&amp;type=store</a>

Last I knew, Ed Cheung had a write-up of something similar at his web site:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.edcheung.com">http://www.edcheung.com</a>

Or buy a meter with built-in contact closure, eg:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html">http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html</a>

HTH ... Marc
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com">MFHult@nothydrologistnot.com</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.ECOntrol.org">www.ECOntrol.org</a>