Radio Shack Modulators vs. Channel Plus Modulators???

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
$24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
Radio Shack ones?

By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
DVD player.

Thanks!
-Peter
0
Reply pet 9/29/2003 3:31:12 PM

See related articles to this posting

Think about this for a minute...

About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
really matters...

"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter

0
Reply Frank 9/30/2003 3:00:06 AM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
"dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:

>Think about this for a minute...
>
>About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
>dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
>I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
>number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
>Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
>A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
>Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
>cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
>Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
>over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
>purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
>really matters...

Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.
0
Reply shb 9/30/2003 2:26:37 PM

Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.

Jim

>I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
>model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
>see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
>$24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
>Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
>similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
>times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
>Radio Shack ones?
>
>By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
>DVD player.
>
>Thanks!
>-Peter
0
Reply Jim 9/30/2003 3:02:58 PM

I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm

Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter

0
Reply SGibbons 9/30/2003 10:17:58 PM

My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent return
policy...

Sorry...

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
> "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
>
> >Think about this for a minute...
> >
> >About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
> >dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...
(should
> >I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
> >number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months
later,
> >Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security
"widget"...
> >A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...
Now...
> >Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what
their
> >cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
> >Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
> >over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
> >purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all
that
> >really matters...
>
> Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.

0
Reply Frank 9/30/2003 10:26:05 PM

Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
have will already take care of this automatically.

So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..

Thanks!
-Peter

"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message news:<CWgeb.5068$Hd6.2960476@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
>
> Jim
0
Reply pet 10/1/2003 1:40:06 AM

modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The former
are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
from your house).

"SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
> http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
>

> Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > Radio Shack ones?
> >
> > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > DVD player.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Peter

0
Reply steve 10/1/2003 6:23:59 AM

Yeah, there's the convenience of local purchase and easy
return-ability with the RS stuff. I don't have the benefit of doing a
scientific side-by-side comparison, so I'm relying on advise from
people here. As best I can tell, the RS model I'm looking at does the
same thing as the Channel Plus models I've looked at.

I'm more than willing to pay extra for something if I know it will
perform better. Reliability is important too, but less so. I figure
that a Radio Shack modulator can break and be replaced three times for
the cost of one Channel Plus modulator. I'm not trying to be negative
about Channel Plus. I don't know enough about what to look for and so
I'm here to see if the Channel Plus is worth the money or if it's only
marginally better and half the cost is in the name.

-Peter

"Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message news:<1qneb.52815$TM4.6814@pd7tw2no>...
> My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent return
> policy...
>
> Sorry...
>

> "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
> > "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
> >
> > >Think about this for a minute...
> > >
> > >About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
> > >dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...
>  (should
> > >I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
> > >number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months
>  later,
> > >Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security
>  "widget"...
> > >A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...
>  Now...
> > >Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what
>  their
> > >cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
> > >Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
> > >over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
> > >purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all
>  that
> > >really matters...
> >
> > Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> > way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> > feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> > stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> > Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.
0
Reply pet 10/1/2003 2:56:37 PM

Yes, I agree.
The next bigger price step in modulators is the addition of stereo.
I've used old VCR's (that won't record but still tune) as cheap-o
modulators, instead of throwing them out.

"steve childress" <stevech@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
> channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The
former
> are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
> from your house).
>
> "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
> > http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
> >

> > Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > > Radio Shack ones?
> > >
> > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > > DVD player.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Peter

0
Reply SGibbons 10/2/2003 12:15:46 AM

Peter, try the Netmedia modulators. I use three of the Triple-Play units
that have three inputs each. I purchased them from Worthington for arouund
$125.00 each.  They work flawlwssly for me.

> Yeah, there's the convenience of local purchase and easy
> return-ability with the RS stuff. I don't have the benefit of doing a
> scientific side-by-side comparison, so I'm relying on advise from
> people here. As best I can tell, the RS model I'm looking at does the
> same thing as the Channel Plus models I've looked at.
>
> I'm more than willing to pay extra for something if I know it will
> perform better. Reliability is important too, but less so. I figure
> that a Radio Shack modulator can break and be replaced three times for
> the cost of one Channel Plus modulator. I'm not trying to be negative
> about Channel Plus. I don't know enough about what to look for and so
> I'm here to see if the Channel Plus is worth the money or if it's only
> marginally better and half the cost is in the name.
>
> -Peter
>

> "Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message
> > My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent
return
> > policy...
> >
> > Sorry...
> >

> > "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message

> >  (should
> >  later,
> >  "widget"...
> >  Now...
> >  their
> >  that
> > >
> > > Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> > > way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> > > feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> > > stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> > > Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.

0
Reply horus 10/2/2003 1:26:35 AM

This individual is posting using my email address.  I personally have never
dealt with "Worthington" and don't endorse any one dealer or distributor.

From: " ." <horus@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.home.automation
Subject: Re: Radio Shack Modulators vs. Channel Plus Modulators???
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:26:35 GMT

0
Reply Frank 10/2/2003 4:51:55 AM

pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message news:<83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>...
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter

Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
just fine for me.

I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.

I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.
0
Reply Chuck_Bannerfield 10/2/2003 2:01:40 PM

Actually, the next step up are the new commercial Drake SAW filter
modulators.  You can get them for $79.95 and they don't seem to need
bandpass filters.  They are PLL and available for any channel -
VHF/UHF/CATV.   I'd guess that Pico will follow suit.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:15:46 GMT, "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net>
wrote (with possible editing):

>Yes, I agree.
>The next bigger price step in modulators is the addition of stereo.
>I've used old VCR's (that won't record but still tune) as cheap-o
>modulators, instead of throwing them out.
>

>"steve childress" <stevech@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
>> channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The
>former
>> are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
>> from your house).
>>
>> "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
>> > http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
>> >

>> > Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message

0
Reply L 10/2/2003 3:27:35 PM

In article <3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net>,
Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
>"dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
>
>>Think about this for a minute...
>>
>>About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
>>dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
>>I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
>>number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
>>Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
>>A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
>>Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
>>cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
>>Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
>>over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
>>purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
>>really matters...
>
>Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
>way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
>feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
>stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
>Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.

I have one of these that I have used to modulate a DVD player onto hotel TV
sets.

It works very well, and the limiting factor on video quality appears to
be the NTSC TV, not the modulator.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org	Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org		LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!
0
Reply karl 10/2/2003 8:26:13 PM

Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two inputs,
but produces mono audio out.

In article <83e4305d.0309301740.60218058@posting.google.com>,
Peter <pet@gtemail.net> wrote:
>Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
>connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
>effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
>modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
>if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
>would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
>have will already take care of this automatically.
>
>So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
>just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
>the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..
>
>Thanks!
>-Peter
>

>"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message
>> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
>> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
>>
>> Jim

0
Reply karl 10/2/2003 8:30:01 PM

Good point, Karl...

"Karl Denninger" <karl@FS.Denninger.Net> wrote in message
> Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two
inputs,
> but produces mono audio out.
>
> --
> --
> Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights
Activist
> http://www.denninger.net Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
> http://childrens-justice.org Working for family and children's rights
> http://diversunion.org LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!
>
> In article <83e4305d.0309301740.60218058@posting.google.com>,
> Peter <pet@gtemail.net> wrote:
> >Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
> >connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
> >effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
> >modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
> >if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
> >would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
> >have will already take care of this automatically.
> >
> >So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
> >just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
> >the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..
> >
> >Thanks!
> >-Peter
> >

> >"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message
> >> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to
display
> >> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
> >>
> >> Jim

0
Reply Frank 10/3/2003 2:47:19 AM

Yes, the Radio Shack modulators (15-1243) do not say anything about
stereo out, so I assume it's stereo in and mono out. However, the
Channel Plus 5500 series at $250/2-channel don't do stereo out either.
They require a $100+ converter.

It's moot for security cameras, but is an important feature for DVD or
VCR sources.

-Peter

"Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message news:<Xq5fb.7457$pl3.3140@pd7tw3no>...
> Good point, Karl...
>

> "Karl Denninger" <karl@FS.Denninger.Net> wrote in message
> > Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two
>  inputs,
> > but produces mono audio out.
0
Reply pet 10/3/2003 4:34:02 PM

> Yes, the Radio Shack modulators (15-1243) do not say anything about
> stereo out, so I assume it's stereo in and mono out.

I "assumed" the same thing...  The Radio Shack guy I asked didn't seem to
know much either...  but then they can't be expert at everything...  :-)

> However, the
> Channel Plus 5500 series at $250/2-channel don't do stereo out either.
> They require a $100+ converter.

Channel Plus has a couple of modulators that have stereo capability "out of
the box"  Check out the 5645 at
http://www.multiplextechnology.com/channelplus/products/rf/5600.html.  They
also happen to mention the converter as well...

> It's moot for security cameras, but is an important feature for DVD or
> VCR sources.

I can't imagine watching a movie in "mono" anymore...  Even the "oldies" are
getting digitally "remastered"...  :-)

0
Reply Frank 10/3/2003 7:28:27 PM

I currently use one of these also. Correct, it's not stereo. I mod the DVD
changer in the lving rm to play them in mstr bdrm, bath, and kids. I find
that no where else does the "high fidelity" matter. In all of these cases,
the sound is barely turned up enough to hear. The pic quality is awesome. I
use ch 124. you'll have to hunt for a good channel.

I also have 3 cameras hooked to one of these from parts express
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15791570&St=5576&St2=36
347774&St3=82670927&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=4369&DID=7

I use 117,119,121 on these. Our cable company has other stuff running lower
(digital, rr, etc.) , and these seem to be about all I could get WITHOUT any
filters.

"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter

0
Reply Taz 10/5/2003 2:24:00 AM

Am I missing something Chuck?

I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH all
your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on at
the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to switch
to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and then
switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.

Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it into
a glorified A/B switch?

btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external filters
to ensure the selected output channel is clean?

John

"Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
> pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
> > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > Radio Shack ones?
> >
> > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > DVD player.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Peter
>
> Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> just fine for me.
>
> I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
>
> I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.

0
Reply John 10/7/2003 6:51:07 PM

The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one that
travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that you
can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
have to switch it as needed.

"John" <The_Pragmatist_removethis@msn.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Am I missing something Chuck?
>
> I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH all
> your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on
at
> the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to switch
> to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and then
> switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.
>
> Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it
into
> a glorified A/B switch?
>
> btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external filters
> to ensure the selected output channel is clean?
>
> John
>
> "Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
> > pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
> > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > > Radio Shack ones?
> > >
> > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > > DVD player.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Peter
> >
> > Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> > one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> > with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> > just fine for me.
> >
> > I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> > house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> > cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
> >
> > I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> > to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> > the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> > modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.

0
Reply Chuck 10/8/2003 3:15:10 AM

Ok - I see the problem now.  Apparently the RS modulator you have is not the
same one being discussed in this thread...

The one mentioned will modulate to UHF 15-69 channels or cable 60-94 100-125

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15%2D1243

John

"Chuck" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one
that
> travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that
you
> can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
> gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
> modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
> and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
> giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
> have to switch it as needed.
>
> "John" <The_Pragmatist_removethis@msn.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Am I missing something Chuck?
> >
> > I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH
all
> > your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on
> at
> > the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to
switch
> > to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and
then
> > switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.
> >
> > Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it
> into
> > a glorified A/B switch?
> >
> > btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external
filters
> > to ensure the selected output channel is clean?
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
> > > pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
for

> > > Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> > > one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> > > with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> > > just fine for me.
> > >
> > > I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> > > house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> > > cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
> > >
> > > I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> > > to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> > > the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> > > modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.

0
Reply John 10/8/2003 12:03:32 PM

The Radio Shack model 15-1243 works on UHF channels 14 to 69 and
CATV/HRC/IRC channels 65 to 94 and 100 to 125.

-Peter

"Chuck" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<2jLgb.32302$xB4.2351@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one that
> travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that you
> can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
> gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
> modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
> and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
> giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
> have to switch it as needed.
0
Reply pet 10/8/2003 1:23:49 PM
comp.home.automation 5321 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

modules, modules, modules
Is it just me or do most Perl modules (Cpan) exist outside of perl standard distribution? The phrase "try this module" casually uttered here. Am I mistaken, so many beta this and beta that listings. If I put out a module on CPAN is it a guarantee of fittness for any user of it? There is so much crap and garbage out there on CPAN it makes my head spin (Telnet being one). I've given up on anything but in the official distribution. Can anyone tell me why I've done that, or am I just imagining things? robic0 <> wrote: > Is it just me or do most Perl modules (Cpan) ex...

Re: Disconnection module,Connection module,LSA plus disconnection module
Supply disconnection module,Krone module,LSA Plus Disconnection module We are a proffesional manufacturer in China mainly produc disconnection module,Connection module,Disconnection Switch module,LS earth bar,LSA disconnection module,Krone module,LSA Plus Disconnectio module,please see more details at the link: http://www.pans-telecom.com http://cheerwe.en.ecplaza.net http://ebaby88888.googlepages.com [image: http://pans-telecom.com/member/279728_modules.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://pans-telecom.com/member/317995_yapro2.jpg] We are a manufacturer specialized in producing telecommunicatio network acc...

Module nesting and module vs. instance methods
Having made the commitment to ruby, I am now finding myself building bigger frameworks and ruby's limited namespace rules with modules are potentially showing some issues that I want to either prepare for or avoid. Or perhaps it is not entirely clear to me what's the proper Ruby way of doing it. Basically I am building some libraries and I am trying to be careful about name pollution. I have a bunch of functions that, currently, have no particular class location. Currently, I am placing them in modules. As I have a bunch of them that are somewhat unrelated, I have been creating modu...

external modules:mrproper vs Module.symvers
I've just built a stock 2.6.21.1 kernel for my Mandriva 2007.1 Spring. I did have some issues compiling in external modules manually, and also with existing dkms configured modules. The dkms stuff calls 'make mrproper' which deletes version.h and Module.symvers. I got everything back with a full recompile. Since found that 'make prepare scripts' will get back most stuff except Module.sysmvers I've since found some external modules will not compile if make mrproper has not been run, but this blows away Module.symvers, which will also stop compilation. Als...

Module inside Module. Conflict between inner Module local variable with outer module parameter
This Mathematica 6.0.1 I just found out that I can't declare a local variable inside a Module to be the same name as an input parameter for the outer module. foo[i_] := Module[{}, boo[] := Module[{i = 1}, Print[i]; ]; boo[]; ] It seems an inner Module is being treated on the same level as the outer module as far are variable scope is concerned. When I call foo[5] for example, the local variable 'i' for boo[] was set to 5, when it was supposed to be LOCAL to boo[] ! It looks like local variable...

include module in module
Hi, I have a situation like this: module M .... end class C1 include M ... end class C2 include M ... end Now I want to add methods to C1 and C2 and whatever other class includes M. My first approach was: module S .... end module M include S end But this doesn't work (meaning whatever methods I have in S are undefined for instances of C1, C2). So, how can I do that? Thanks, Ittay -- -- Ittay Dror <ittay.dror@gmail.com> Ittay Dror wrote: > Hi, > > > I have a situation like this: > > module M > > ...

Universal logic modules vs NAND-like modules
Hi everyone, Is there a proper name to distinguish NAND-like universal modules from ordinary ones, that is, the ones formed by a function F, plus NOT, plus ONE, and ZERO? Thanks, Candida --- Candida Ferreira, Ph.D. Chief Scientist, Gepsoft http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/author.asp GEP: Mathematical Modeling by an Artificial Intelligence http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/Books/index.asp Modeling Software http://www.gepsoft.com/gepsoft/ Get APS 3.0 Std free with the book! Question doesn't make sense to me. Try again or pick up a logi...

Channel Plus Modulator Problem?
I have had a Channel Plus Modulator for about a year and a half. I think it's the 3025. It modulates 2 devices. It worked fine when I bought it, then I started getting bad reception on one modulated channel. I looked into it and was told that my cable provider probably changed the stream and to get a filter (also Channel Plus), which I did. It worked great for about a year. Then yesterday, I had the same problem. I originally modulated my digital cable box on channel 80, and DirectTV/DVD/Playstation 2 through a selector switch on Channel 82. Yesterday Channel 82 became fuzzy. I t...

modules including other modules
Hello, It appears that including module A inside another module B can cause problems for classes that have already included A. What seems to happen is that a class can only see the methods from module B if that class include module A before module A includes module B. For example, module A def a puts "a" end end module B def b puts "b" end end class C include B def c puts "c" end end module B include A def b2 puts "b2" end end C.new.c C.new.b C.new.b2 C.new.a produces tolsen@neurofunk:~/svn/limeade$...

Synthesis Quesiton (single module vs. multiple modules)
Hi, I have a question regarding synthesizing a verilog project. Let's say we have 5 modules in a project and want to synthesize them. My question is that if there's any difference between "placing all 5 modules in a single .v file" and "having five .v files so each file consists of one module". Is there any difference between the two methods? (such as number of modules created, P & R or timing) Thanks! If you are using ungroup -all in ur script. then it doesnt make a difference. logic optmisations will not cross module boundary unless u...

Using Module on Module
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////= //// //Logical Unit module UnidadeLogica(a, b, s, f); input [0:3] a,b; input [0:1] s; output [0:3] f; assign f =3D Logica(a,b,s); function[0:3] Logica; input [0:3] a,b; input [0:1] s; case(s) 2'b00 : begin//AND Logica =3D a & b; end 2'b01 : begin//OR Logica =3D a | b; end 2'b10 : begin//XOR Logica =3D a ^ b; end 2'b11 : begin//XNOR Logica =3D ~(a ^ b); end default: begin Logica =3D 4...

A module to write a module
In an attempt to save a few seconds of typing I am trying to generate a module that will provide a template for a new module. Thus by typing the input ModuleTemplate[myName] I will generate the following ClearAll[myName]; myName::usage = "myName..."; myName[] := Module[{}, Print["myName, at stage 1:"]; Print["myName, at stage 2:"]; Print["myName, at stage 3:"]; ] The above should be in an Input cell ready to be edited into the module I need. It even has Print statements ready to tell me what it has managed to do before inevi...

pySpeex Module, pyFFmpeg Module, pyVidCapModule and pyVid_Utilities module
http://www.jjanecek.ca.tf or http://207.34.118.42/~john/index.html contains a new python wrapper for speex, libavcodec part of ffmpeg is wrapped pyVidCapModule a python wrapper of a Direct Show video capture library pyvid_utils a module that allows you to draw directly on a pyqt QImage _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca ...

Regular Expression
Hi All, I'm having a tough time converting the following regex.compile patterns into the new re.compile format. There is also a differences in the regsub.sub() vs. re.sub() Could anyone lend a hand? import regsub import regex import re # << need conversion to this module ..... """Convert perl style format symbology to printf tokens. Take a string and substitute computed printf tokens for perl style format symbology. For example: ###.## yields %6.2f ######## yields %8d <<<<< yields %-5s &qu...

Channel Plus 3025 Modulator Issue
I have been using one of these for about 3 years. The first year and a half it worked fine. I was modulating A on Channel 80, and B on Channel 82. Suddenly 82 became unwatchable. I assumed this was due to a change in my cable stream. I wound up buying another unit only to experience the exact same results. I returned it, and started modulating on only channel 80 and adding a multi switch into the equation, which allowed me to switch between multiple sources. Yesterday I started playing around again. It seemed that I could modulate the B modulator to 80, but the A, no matter where I set...

Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules
Original:China Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules Mini-Com TX6 Plus Jack Module TP Series,Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com ST Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com SC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com FC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Surface Mount Boxes,Fibe...

[...]

Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module
Hi, 1. Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module are used in Presentation State. Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no presentation state)? If not, How can I represent text value on a Image (Curves and regular Overlays are not good for text values)? 2. Which tag is used for "inverse" operation? Thanks, Erez. erez bibi wrote: > Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer > module are used in Presentation State. > Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no prese...

Re: Re: Module inside Module. Conflict between inner Module local variable
Jean-Marc, I just wanted to say what a very precise description of how Mathematica works as a programming language. It was quite illuminating. Is there any thought in your mind about writing a book or long tutorial? Regards, Cliff Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet@gmail.com> wrote: Nasser Abbasi wrote: > This Mathematica 6.0.1 > > I just found out that I can't declare a local variable inside a Module > to be the same name as an input parameter for the outer module. > > foo[i_] := Module[{}, > > boo[] := Module[{i = 1}, ...

Why 'import module' will not import module.py but the directory module?
If I have both the directory 'module' and the file 'module.py' in a directory in $PYTHONPATH, python will import 'module' rather than 'module.py'. I'm wondering what is the design rationale of setting higher priorities to directories. Is there a way to reverse the priority? ...

Hi, Sorry if this is newbie question. I am a bit confused about loading module in another module. Let's say I have a script that look like this. ## script.pl use strict; use Module1; use Module2; my $m1 = Module1::->new(); print $m1->func1(); my $m2 = Module2::->new(); ## Module2 is also using Module1 print $m2->func2(); ## Module2.pm use strict; use Module1; .... The problem is I "use Module1" 2 times, in script.pl and in Module2. I just wonder is it the right way to do it? Will it takes double memory (because Module1 is used twice)? Is it better if I only "...

changing a module into class module
Hi Gurus I have a module with a bunch of functions that tell me everything about a table (e.g. the number of children, whether it exists, the table description, etc..., data-entry quality, etc...) It would make sense to actually change this module into a class module, because then, when I program, I can use the "autocomplete" function. However, if I do so, then the functions would not work in queries and on controls on forms, etc.... What would you suggest would be the best solution to a. being able to use the autocomplete and other joys of classes b. being able to use the i...