Radio Shack Modulators vs. Channel Plus Modulators???

I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
$24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
Radio Shack ones?

By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
DVD player.

Thanks!
-Peter
0
pet
9/29/2003 3:31:12 PM
comp.home.automation 5335 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

23 Replies
480 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56
Think about this for a minute...

About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
really matters...


"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter


0
Frank
9/30/2003 3:00:06 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
"dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:

>Think about this for a minute...
>
>About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
>dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
>I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
>number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
>Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
>A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
>Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
>cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
>Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
>over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
>purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
>really matters...

Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.
0
shb
9/30/2003 2:26:37 PM
Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.

Jim

>I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
>model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
>see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
>$24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
>Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
>similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
>times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
>Radio Shack ones?
>
>By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
>DVD player.
>
>Thanks!
>-Peter
0
Jim
9/30/2003 3:02:58 PM
I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm



Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter


0
SGibbons
9/30/2003 10:17:58 PM
My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent return
policy...

Sorry...


"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net...
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
> "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
>
> >Think about this for a minute...
> >
> >About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
> >dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...
(should
> >I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
> >number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months
later,
> >Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security
"widget"...
> >A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...
Now...
> >Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what
their
> >cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
> >Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
> >over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
> >purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all
that
> >really matters...
>
> Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.


0
Frank
9/30/2003 10:26:05 PM
Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
have will already take care of this automatically.

So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..

Thanks!
-Peter



"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message news:<CWgeb.5068$Hd6.2960476@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
> 
> Jim
0
pet
10/1/2003 1:40:06 AM
modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The former
are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
from your house).

"SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:qineb.470658$Oz4.281635@rwcrnsc54...
> I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
> http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
>
>
>
> Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
> > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > Radio Shack ones?
> >
> > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > DVD player.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Peter
>
>


0
steve
10/1/2003 6:23:59 AM
Yeah, there's the convenience of local purchase and easy
return-ability with the RS stuff. I don't have the benefit of doing a
scientific side-by-side comparison, so I'm relying on advise from
people here. As best I can tell, the RS model I'm looking at does the
same thing as the Channel Plus models I've looked at.

I'm more than willing to pay extra for something if I know it will
perform better. Reliability is important too, but less so. I figure
that a Radio Shack modulator can break and be replaced three times for
the cost of one Channel Plus modulator. I'm not trying to be negative
about Channel Plus. I don't know enough about what to look for and so
I'm here to see if the Channel Plus is worth the money or if it's only
marginally better and half the cost is in the name.

-Peter


"Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message news:<1qneb.52815$TM4.6814@pd7tw2no>...
> My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent return
> policy...
> 
> Sorry...
> 
> 
> "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> news:3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net...
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
> > "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
> >
> > >Think about this for a minute...
> > >
> > >About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
> > >dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...
>  (should
> > >I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
> > >number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months
>  later,
> > >Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security
>  "widget"...
> > >A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...
>  Now...
> > >Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what
>  their
> > >cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
> > >Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
> > >over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
> > >purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all
>  that
> > >really matters...
> >
> > Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> > way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> > feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> > stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> > Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.
0
pet
10/1/2003 2:56:37 PM
Yes, I agree.
The next bigger price step in modulators is the addition of stereo.
I've used old VCR's (that won't record but still tune) as cheap-o
modulators, instead of throwing them out.


"steve childress" <stevech@san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:3queb.35028$5z.23348@twister.socal.rr.com...
> modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
> channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The
former
> are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
> from your house).
>
> "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:qineb.470658$Oz4.281635@rwcrnsc54...
> > I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
> > http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
> >
> >
> >
> > Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> > news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
> > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > > Radio Shack ones?
> > >
> > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > > DVD player.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Peter
> >
> >
>
>


0
SGibbons
10/2/2003 12:15:46 AM
Peter, try the Netmedia modulators. I use three of the Triple-Play units
that have three inputs each. I purchased them from Worthington for arouund
$125.00 each.  They work flawlwssly for me.


"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
news:83e4305d.0310010656.294798c4@posting.google.com...
> Yeah, there's the convenience of local purchase and easy
> return-ability with the RS stuff. I don't have the benefit of doing a
> scientific side-by-side comparison, so I'm relying on advise from
> people here. As best I can tell, the RS model I'm looking at does the
> same thing as the Channel Plus models I've looked at.
>
> I'm more than willing to pay extra for something if I know it will
> perform better. Reliability is important too, but less so. I figure
> that a Radio Shack modulator can break and be replaced three times for
> the cost of one Channel Plus modulator. I'm not trying to be negative
> about Channel Plus. I don't know enough about what to look for and so
> I'm here to see if the Channel Plus is worth the money or if it's only
> marginally better and half the cost is in the name.
>
> -Peter
>
>
> "Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message
news:<1qneb.52815$TM4.6814@pd7tw2no>...
> > My bad...  I should have mentioned Radio Shack does have an excellent
return
> > policy...
> >
> > Sorry...
> >
> >
> > "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> > news:3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net...
> > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
> > > "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Think about this for a minute...
> > > >
> > > >About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell
alarm
> > > >dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...
> >  (should
> > > >I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as
did a
> > > >number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months
> >  later,
> > > >Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security
> >  "widget"...
> > > >A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...
> >  Now...
> > > >Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what
> >  their
> > > >cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from
it??
> > > >Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that
are
> > > >over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick
which to
> > > >purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all
> >  that
> > > >really matters...
> > >
> > > Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
> > > way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
> > > feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
> > > stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
> > > Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.


0
horus
10/2/2003 1:26:35 AM
This individual is posting using my email address.  I personally have never
dealt with "Worthington" and don't endorse any one dealer or distributor.


" ." <horus@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:f9Leb.649376$YN5.498348@sccrnsc01...
> Peter, try the Netmedia modulators. I use three of the Triple-Play units
> that have three inputs each. I purchased them from Worthington for arouund
> $125.00 each.  They work flawlwssly for me.

Path:
pd7tw1no!pd7cy2so!shaw.ca!pd2nf1so.cg.shawcable.net!residential.shaw.ca!news
-out1.nntp.be!propagator2-sterling!news-in-sterling.nuthinbutnews.com!cyclon
e1.gnilink.net!wn14feed!wn13feed!worldnet.att.net!204.127.198.203!attbi_feed
3!attbi_feed4!attbi.com!sccrnsc01.POSTED!not-for-mail
Reply-To: " ." <horus@shaw.ca>
From: " ." <horus@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.home.automation
References: <83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>
<Wk6eb.36052$O85.16688@pd7tw1no> <3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net>
<1qneb.52815$TM4.6814@pd7tw2no>
<83e4305d.0310010656.294798c4@posting.google.com>
Subject: Re: Radio Shack Modulators vs. Channel Plus Modulators???
Lines: 71
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
Message-ID: <f9Leb.649376$YN5.498348@sccrnsc01>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.203.63.244
X-Complaints-To: abuse@comcast.net
X-Trace: sccrnsc01 1065057995 12.203.63.244 (Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:26:35 GMT)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:26:35 GMT
Organization: Comcast Online
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:26:35 GMT
Xref: pd7hu0no comp.home.automation:30125337
X-Received-Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:26:36 MDT (pd7tw1no)



0
Frank
10/2/2003 4:51:55 AM
pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message news:<83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>...
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
> 
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
> 
> Thanks!
> -Peter

Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
just fine for me.

I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.

I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.
0
Chuck_Bannerfield
10/2/2003 2:01:40 PM
Actually, the next step up are the new commercial Drake SAW filter
modulators.  You can get them for $79.95 and they don't seem to need
bandpass filters.  They are PLL and available for any channel -
VHF/UHF/CATV.   I'd guess that Pico will follow suit.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com



On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:15:46 GMT, "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net>
wrote (with possible editing):

>Yes, I agree.
>The next bigger price step in modulators is the addition of stereo.
>I've used old VCR's (that won't record but still tune) as cheap-o
>modulators, instead of throwing them out.
>
>
>"steve childress" <stevech@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:3queb.35028$5z.23348@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> modulators - isn't the big price step whether you need one at UHF/Cable
>> channel frequencies versus the cheap-o ones for VHF channel 3/4? The
>former
>> are mixed into the cable throughout the house (with an AMP to block egress
>> from your house).
>>
>> "SGibbons" <rsgibbons@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:qineb.470658$Oz4.281635@rwcrnsc54...
>> > I've had good experience with this inexpensive 3 channel one...
>> > http://www.starkelectronic.com/akrfdm3.htm
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
>> > news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
>> > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
>> > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
>> > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
>> > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
>> > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
>> > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
>> > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
>> > > Radio Shack ones?
>> > >
>> > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
>> > > DVD player.
>> > >
>> > > Thanks!
>> > > -Peter
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>

0
L
10/2/2003 3:27:35 PM
In article <3f7990d1.1510524078@news.comporium.net>,
Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:06 GMT, "Frank Olson" <(remove the
>"dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote:
>
>>Think about this for a minute...
>>
>>About fifteen years ago, some guy was going around trying to sell alarm
>>dealers a $3.00 motion sensor...  That's right...  Three dollars...  (should
>>I mention this was *Canadian* dollars?).  I turned him down flat as did a
>>number of other companies I knew at the time...  About three months later,
>>Radio Shack was suddenly advertising their latest DIY security "widget"...
>>A motion detector that cost $99.00 CDN.  It was the same detector...  Now...
>>Radio Shack is selling a modulator for $24.99...  Care to guess what their
>>cost might be??  What kind of service are you going to expect from it??
>>Resolution?  Life??  I've got Channel Plus modulators out there that are
>>over five years old with zero problems or callbacks...  You pick which to
>>purchase...  As long as you're "happy" with your decision, that's all that
>>really matters...
>
>Now that sounds like "sweet lemon" rationalization, ie. "I paid
>way too much for my Channel Plus, and you should too so I won't
>feel alone".  Radio Shack has a decnent return policy and local
>stores from which to purchase and return if necessary. The Radio
>Shack unit may also be cheaper/better than a 5 year old design.

I have one of these that I have used to modulate a DVD player onto hotel TV
sets.

It works very well, and the limiting factor on video quality appears to
be the NTSC TV, not the modulator.

--
-- 
Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org	Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org		LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!
0
karl
10/2/2003 8:26:13 PM
Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two inputs,
but produces mono audio out.

--
-- 
Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org	Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org		LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!

In article <83e4305d.0309301740.60218058@posting.google.com>,
Peter <pet@gtemail.net> wrote:
>Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
>connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
>effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
>modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
>if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
>would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
>have will already take care of this automatically.
>
>So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
>just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
>the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..
>
>Thanks!
>-Peter
>
>
>
>"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message
>news:<CWgeb.5068$Hd6.2960476@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
>> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to display
>> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
>> 
>> Jim


0
karl
10/2/2003 8:30:01 PM
Good point, Karl...


"Karl Denninger" <karl@FS.Denninger.Net> wrote in message
news:bli1s9$fvk$1@pita.alt.net...
> Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two
inputs,
> but produces mono audio out.
>
> --
> -- 
> Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights
Activist
> http://www.denninger.net Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
> http://childrens-justice.org Working for family and children's rights
> http://diversunion.org LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!
>
> In article <83e4305d.0309301740.60218058@posting.google.com>,
> Peter <pet@gtemail.net> wrote:
> >Not sure what you're referring to by "...one or the other." I can
> >connect multiple one-channel modulators to a splitter/combiner and
> >effectively get the same functionality as if I had one multi-channel
> >modulator. The purpose of the included A/B switch with the RS model is
> >if I wanted to switch between cable TV and the modulated source. I
> >would not use this because the Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier I
> >have will already take care of this automatically.
> >
> >So yes, the RS model would give the functionality I'm looking for. I'm
> >just looking for feedback on whether it's good quality comapared to
> >the much more expensive Channel Plus and similar others..
> >
> >Thanks!
> >-Peter
> >
> >
> >
> >"Jim" <jim@nosuchaddress.com> wrote in message
> >news:<CWgeb.5068$Hd6.2960476@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> >> Is the RS model really what you need? It looks like you would have to
display
> >> one or the other and it even includes an A-B switch.
> >>
> >> Jim
>
>


0
Frank
10/3/2003 2:47:19 AM
Yes, the Radio Shack modulators (15-1243) do not say anything about
stereo out, so I assume it's stereo in and mono out. However, the
Channel Plus 5500 series at $250/2-channel don't do stereo out either.
They require a $100+ converter.

It's moot for security cameras, but is an important feature for DVD or
VCR sources.

-Peter



"Frank Olson" <(remove the "dot") horus@shawdot.ca> wrote in message news:<Xq5fb.7457$pl3.3140@pd7tw3no>...
> Good point, Karl...
> 
> 
> "Karl Denninger" <karl@FS.Denninger.Net> wrote in message
> news:bli1s9$fvk$1@pita.alt.net...
> > Be aware that the RS modulator does not do stereo audio.  It has two
>  inputs,
> > but produces mono audio out.
0
pet
10/3/2003 4:34:02 PM
"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
news:83e4305d.0310030834.7fac69f0@posting.google.com...
> Yes, the Radio Shack modulators (15-1243) do not say anything about
> stereo out, so I assume it's stereo in and mono out.

I "assumed" the same thing...  The Radio Shack guy I asked didn't seem to
know much either...  but then they can't be expert at everything...  :-)

> However, the
> Channel Plus 5500 series at $250/2-channel don't do stereo out either.
> They require a $100+ converter.

Channel Plus has a couple of modulators that have stereo capability "out of
the box"  Check out the 5645 at
http://www.multiplextechnology.com/channelplus/products/rf/5600.html.  They
also happen to mention the converter as well...
>
> It's moot for security cameras, but is an important feature for DVD or
> VCR sources.


I can't imagine watching a movie in "mono" anymore...  Even the "oldies" are
getting digitally "remastered"...  :-)


0
Frank
10/3/2003 7:28:27 PM
I currently use one of these also. Correct, it's not stereo. I mod the DVD
changer in the lving rm to play them in mstr bdrm, bath, and kids. I find
that no where else does the "high fidelity" matter. In all of these cases,
the sound is barely turned up enough to hear. The pic quality is awesome. I
use ch 124. you'll have to hunt for a good channel.

I also have 3 cameras hooked to one of these from parts express
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15791570&St=5576&St2=36
347774&St3=82670927&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=4369&DID=7

I use 117,119,121 on these. Our cable company has other stuff running lower
(digital, rr, etc.) , and these seem to be about all I could get WITHOUT any
filters.



"Peter" <pet@gtemail.net> wrote in message
news:83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com...
> I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> Radio Shack ones?
>
> By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks!
> -Peter


0
Taz
10/5/2003 2:24:00 AM
Am I missing something Chuck?

I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH all
your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on at
the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to switch
to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and then
switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.

Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it into
a glorified A/B switch?

btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external filters
to ensure the selected output channel is clean?

John

"Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
news:34b32396.0310020601.608cdf8a@posting.google.com...
> pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
news:<83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>...
> > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > Radio Shack ones?
> >
> > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > DVD player.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Peter
>
> Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> just fine for me.
>
> I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
>
> I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.


0
John
10/7/2003 6:51:07 PM
The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one that
travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that you
can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
have to switch it as needed.

"John" <The_Pragmatist_removethis@msn.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:FNecnTYP4qqAlh6iU-KYhA@powergate.ca...
> Am I missing something Chuck?
>
> I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH all
> your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on
at
> the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to switch
> to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and then
> switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.
>
> Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it
into
> a glorified A/B switch?
>
> btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external filters
> to ensure the selected output channel is clean?
>
> John
>
> "Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:34b32396.0310020601.608cdf8a@posting.google.com...
> > pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
> news:<83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>...
> > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a multi-channel
> > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice. I
> > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243) for
> > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators like
> > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of the
> > > Radio Shack ones?
> > >
> > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > > DVD player.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Peter
> >
> > Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> > one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> > with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> > just fine for me.
> >
> > I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> > house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> > cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
> >
> > I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> > to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> > the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> > modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.
>
>


0
Chuck
10/8/2003 3:15:10 AM
Ok - I see the problem now.  Apparently the RS modulator you have is not the
same one being discussed in this thread...

The one mentioned will modulate to UHF 15-69 channels or cable 60-94 100-125

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15%2D1243

John

"Chuck" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
news:2jLgb.32302$xB4.2351@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one
that
> travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that
you
> can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
> gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
> modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
> and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
> giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
> have to switch it as needed.
>
> "John" <The_Pragmatist_removethis@msn.nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:FNecnTYP4qqAlh6iU-KYhA@powergate.ca...
> > Am I missing something Chuck?
> >
> > I thought the whole idea of the modulator is so that you can have BOTH
all
> > your normal CATV channels AND your own inputs (e.g. Security Cameras) on
> at
> > the same time?  This allows any TV connected after the modulator to
switch
> > to the "security camera channel" to see what the camera is seeing and
then
> > switch back to the normal programming on the CATV channels.
> >
> > Doesn't turning the modulator Off with an appliance module just turn it
> into
> > a glorified A/B switch?
> >
> > btw - does this modulator do any filtering or do you need external
filters
> > to ensure the selected output channel is clean?
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Chuck" <Chuck_Bannerfield@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:34b32396.0310020601.608cdf8a@posting.google.com...
> > > pet@gtemail.net (Peter) wrote in message
> > news:<83e4305d.0309290731.7793fa02@posting.google.com>...
> > > > I'm in the market for RF modulators. I'd prefer to get a
multi-channel
> > > > model (2- or 4-), but multiple one-channel modulators will suffice.
I
> > > > see that Radio Shack sells a one-channel modulator (model 15-1243)
for
> > > > $24.99. Seems like a good deal since other one-channel modulators
like
> > > > Channel Plus sell for about $100. What do the Channel Plus (or other
> > > > similar-priced) modulators have that justifies their costing four
> > > > times as much? Are they worth it? Or, should I just get a bunch of
the
> > > > Radio Shack ones?
> > > >
> > > > By the way... I'll be using these to modulate security cameras and a
> > > > DVD player.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks!
> > > > -Peter
> > >
> > > Well, since no one has answered your question yet... I have been using
> > > one of the Radio Shack modulators for a year and have been very happy
> > > with it. It doesn't have any whiz bang features to it, but it works
> > > just fine for me.
> > >
> > > I have mine hooked up as follows: The source cable comes into the
> > > house and feeds directly into the modulator. From the modulator the
> > > cable splits out around the house via a basic cable amplifier.
> > >
> > > I have the modulator pluged into an x-10 appliance module. When I want
> > > to view the modulated signal on any tv in the house, I simple turn on
> > > the x-10 module from my remote. When I turn off the x-10 module, the
> > > modulator simply passes the original cable signal through.
> >
> >
>
>


0
John
10/8/2003 12:03:32 PM
The Radio Shack model 15-1243 works on UHF channels 14 to 69 and
CATV/HRC/IRC channels 65 to 94 and 100 to 125.

-Peter


"Chuck" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<2jLgb.32302$xB4.2351@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> The primary function of a modulator is to take a composite signal (one that
> travels on an RCA type cable) and put it onto a specific channel so that you
> can tune it in on your television. The Radio Shack achieves this, but only
> gives you the option of putting the signal on channel 3 or 4. The RS
> modulator completely filters out channels 3 and 4 (and weakens channels 2
> and 5), but otherwise passes other channels clearly. If you don't mind
> giving up channels 2-5, you could leave it on all the time. otherwise you
> have to switch it as needed.
0
pet
10/8/2003 1:23:49 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

[MacOS] Multiple versions of a module
How to manage a module with several versions on MacOS X ? All modules are installed in : "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pa ckages/" This is the default path for Mac. But for some modules i need several version (stable 1.8.1 and test 1.9.0 for example : for pygame here). I've installed the stable one from source and i go into a "pygame-1.8.0release-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg" directory. Nice. I just install the 1.9 (for test) and it go into "pygame" directory So now i got 2 versions of pygame in the site-packages dir...

Vector vs List
What are the differences between a vector and a list? Why would one use a vector instead of a list? Or vice versa? Thanks, Steve Em s=E1bado, 14 de abril de 2012 13h24min31s UTC-3, Steve Graham escreveu: > What are the differences between a vector and a list? Why would one use= =20 > a vector instead of a list? Or vice versa? a vector is an indexed sequence of elements where the cost of accessing any= one element is equal. OTOH, to access the nth element of a list you have = to go through all the (n-1) previous elements. Use lists when you need plain sequential processing and...

local module-docs server on Linux?
Hello, I had used python on windows and one of the features i liked best was that you could start a module-docs server and then use firefox to access it. This would show module-docs for all modules you had installed(including any 3rd party installs) . How do i do this on linux? regards Soumen On May 4, 10:30=A0pm, Soumen banerjee <soume...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I had used python on windows and one of the features i liked best was > that you could start a module-docs server and then use firefox to > access it. pydoc -p <port number> ...

Problem with FM Modulation
Hi, I am facing problem with fm modulation and demodulation. i want to design a fm modulation with the following specs: fm = modulating freq = 30Hz fc = carrier freq = 10kHz dev = frequency deviation = 480Hz The problem is that for the carrier freq more than 1kHz, is not getting modulated properly which can be confirmed at demodulation. Plz find below the code: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- fc=1e3; Fs=10*fc; t=(0:Fs)'/Fs; L=1000; fm=30; ph=0; dev=480; NFFT=2^nextpow2(L); f=Fs*linspace(0,1,NFFT); ...

Re: CMake module for Mathematica #2
Hi Patrick, The module should be capable of finding your Mathematica installation on volume D on your Windows machine, so this appears to be a bug. Please provide me with a debug log of the find_package invocation. You can enable debugging for FindMathematica by adding the line set (Mathematica_DEBUG On) before loading the module with find_package. Please create an issue at Find Mathematica's GitHub site: https://github.com/sakra/FindMathematica/issues Regards, Sascha On 06.12.2010, at 15:43, Patrick Scheibe wrote: > Hi Sascha, > > thank you very very much....

DBWorks vs. PDMWorks Enterprise
I am looking at several PDM systems. One of the most important things I am interested in is the ability for the system to have some ECN functionality. I would need the system to also be able to either have he ability to work sort of like an ERP system, I want the ability for all people involved in the development team (not just engineering) such as purchasing and material planning to be included in sign-offs on engineering changes. I would also like to have the system be able to work like an ERP system but without the cost of the big boys like SAP or Oracle. Does DBWorks have the ability to ...

Target audience for 49G+ vs 48Gii
The 49G+ and 48Gii seem to have some similarities, but must be different in some aspects. What are the primary differences, and what would make one choose one over the other? maxx@easynews.com wrote in message news:<0tkapvkfqbal6q7d7ro9qgjmc19ji9ruhp@4ax.com>... > The 49G+ and 48Gii seem to have some similarities, but must be different in some > aspects. What are the primary differences, and what would make one choose one > over the other? http://www.hpcalc.org/images/graphcalccomp.pdf sums up graphing calculator comparisons nicely. Differences that I found worth noting are t...

Understanding radio buttons
Question here, I am using the win32 programming book by Pezold and his explantion of radio buttons is confusing. I am starting a game with a menu that has three choices which will control my game. So far I have: #include <windows.h> extern bool email; extern bool gload; BOOL CALLBACK startProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp){ int choice = 2;//IDC_NEW; const int IDC_NEW = 2; const int IDC_EMAIL = 3; const int IDC_LOAD = 4; HWND menu; switch(msg){ case WM_INITDIALOG: CheckRadioButton(hwnd, 2,3, choice); menu = GetDlgIte...

ATSC modulators
I used to post here on, but have not visited in a while. Pardon me if this is a frequent topic. I searched, but could not find any references. My cable TV operator (Verizon FIOS) is going all digital. This means that I will need to switch to the digital TV tuner set top boxes. In order to still see the in-house TV sources (camers, DVD players, PCs, etc), I would need a digital (ATSC) modulator. Does something like this exist? I checked on ChannelPlus' website, and found only tuners for NTSC. Note that I am not referring to digital NTSC modulators, but modulators for digital TV. Ed...

US-TX-Austin Telecom Engineer, EE, radio or cell phone; longterm contract (45353732413)
US-TX-Austin Telecom Engineer, EE, radio or cell phone; longterm contract (45353732413) ========================================================================================= Position: Telcom engineer Reference: RLH00003 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract Skills: BS in EE or equivalent Radio or cell Phone indutsry Texas License Excellent verbal comm skills Excellent organization skills EDACS Radio System and 1/0 TDM networks a plus Computer skills -- Windows, Word, ...

Open Source Software vs. Free Software?
http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11266 This article makes a (vain) attempt at trying to explain the differences between Open Source Software and Free Software. The only difference I see is that Free Software is more pragmatic and takes the view that the proprietary world is always trying to kill off the FOSS movement, hence its strict guidelines such as the GPLv3. Open Source seems more laissez faire where all sorts of mixes of commercial and open source can co-exist. I personally support Stallman's Maoist ways since he's right about the fact that companies like Microsoft and ...

console GPUs: ATI Xenos vs Nvidia RSX
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/06/10/richard_huddy_ati/1.html Interview: ATI and the Xbox 360 Posted 10.06.2005 by Wil Harris In the first of a new series of interviews with industry luminaries, we're talking to ATI evangelist, Richard Huddy. Richard is responsible for talking to Developers about ATI's technology, and helping them to create technology that runs great on ATI hardware. Richard has previously lent his incredible graphics expertise to 3Dlabs and to NVIDIA. Most recently, he has been involved with the development and promotion of the graphics sub-system in the ...

new CPAN modules on Wed Jul 23 2008
The following modules have recently been added to or updated in the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN). You can install them using the instructions in the 'perlmodinstall' page included with your Perl distribution. Apache2-Controller-0.101.101 http://search.cpan.org/~markle/Apache2-Controller-0.101.101/ framework for Apache2 handler apps ---- Apache2-Controller-0.101.110 http://search.cpan.org/~markle/Apache2-Controller-0.101.110/ framework for Apache2 handler apps ---- Apache2-Controller-0.101.111 http://search.cpan.org/~markle/Apache2-Controller-0.101.111/ framework for Ap...

Re: Your Radio Is Calling
In TELECOM Digest V23 #277 TELECOM Digest Editor noted in reponse to an article I had contributed: [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Eric's comments about the first transistorized pocket radios reminds me of the one I had while in high school, 1956 or so. They only had AM signals of course, and you had to put this plug in your ear which looked like a hearing aid. People who did not know me, and some who did, would see me walking around with that plug in my ear, and say "Oh how unfortunate that at your young age you have to use a hearing aid. Are you mostly deaf or just a ...

Module Eval Syntax
>> class MyModule; end => nil >> MyModule.class_variables => [] >> MyModule.module_eval do ?> @@test = true >> end => true >> @@test => true >> MyModule.module_eval "@@weird = true" => true >> @@weird NameError: uninitialized class variable @@weird in Object from (irb):8 >> MyModule.class_variables => ["@@weird", "@@test"] >> Object.class_variables => ["@@test"] What in the world is going on here? Why does the block syntax eval differently than the string ...

radio fm and web radio
I'm searching for forum and website speaking about radio FM and net radio in every country like www.radioactu.com in france Can you help me and give me URL please ? http://www.radiofmx.com searching for night club & Dj to stream live from all country all the world ...

OSS on the Radio this Morning
Perhaps the biggest radio station around here is called Capital FM. It's based in London, England. Anyway, this morning, while I was listening online, one of the DJs was complaining about receiving lots of virus and spam mails in her inbox. So I dropped her an e-mail advising her to try Mozilla Thunderbird, with its in-built, pre-trained Bayesian filters. Of course, I didn't use those exact technial terms in the message. Soon after I sent it, she read it out on air :) Tom B. wrote: : Perhaps the biggest radio station around here is called Capital FM. : It's based in London...

amateur radio
Does anyone have information on using the HP48 Gx for amateur radio. I looked the FAQ, but there are some dead URL's. I also looked at HPCalc, but I did not see anything on point. I would also like any information on cables (I have the PC cable to connect my HP48 to my PC). Thanks Mike Boersma mike boersma wrote: > Does anyone have information on using the HP48 Gx for amateur radio. I > looked the FAQ, but there are some dead URL's. I also looked at HPCalc, > but I did not see anything on point. I would also like any information > on cables (I have the PC cable to con...

ANNOUNCE: new module: Mail::SendVarious
Newly release on cpan... NAME Mail::SendVarious - send mail via STMP and sendmail SYNOPSIS use Mail::SendVarious; sendmail( from => 'user@host', From => 'First Last', to => 'user@host, user@host', cc => 'user@host, user@host', xheader => 'Some header stuff', body => 'Some body stuff here' ); sendmail( envelope_to => 'user@host, user@host', message => 'Comp...

I always met the question of Fibre Channel Loop restarting, why is it?
Hi, I'm using one SUN Ultra 60 to drag one SUN A5200 disk array, and I hold 4 hitachi 73G FC H.D to do one 0+1, but I met the question of FC Loop stochastic down and then up several times. That's not the all, sometimes I met writing retryable error and the most awful, the mirror get error and I have to repair it. I don't know where is the question, maybe it's FC card? H.D or the FC module? Who can help me? I'm so tired to it and terrified to met the question. I'm afraid to lose the data. Thanks for your help! Have a good day! Best Regards, Harryzhu Le Mon, 1...

what's better? (MSI vs. Abit mobo, KT600 chipsets)
trying to decide on a cheap purchase.. ive been happy w/ both abit and msi in the past, but am out of the loop. the choices: MSI - KT6V Abit - KV7 ... both of these use the Via KT600 chipset. both have the usual crap: usb2, lan, sound (unimportant), etc. use: my gaming and digital photo rig. i have an AMD XP 2400+. overclocking is not a concern as i dont. ive read that the abit is good for a cheapie. and the msi? thanks! matt ...

Re: BART Cop Orders Radio Turned Off to Protect Trains #21
fOn 25 Sep 2004 19:39:25 -0700 in comp.dcom.telecom, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com (Lisa Hancock) wrote: > Never heard that. But I've heard to turn off cell phones while > refueling the car, and I wonder if that's really necessary. According to MythBusters, it's not; but opening the car door (e.g. to get at a ringing cell phone) has caused incidents, either from static electricity or the lighting circuit (haven't seen a definitive cause). Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis Calgary, Alberta, Canada Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]...

loading a module at boot and /etc/modules.conf
Hello, I want that a module will be loaded at boot. I assume that I had to add an entry in /etc/modules.conf the module name is (for example) : cryptoapi (after boot, insmod cryptoapi works with no problems.) I had mad 3 tries of addint he following entries to /etc/modules.conf: install cryptoapi alias crypt cryptoapi cryptoapi after each of these tries, the cryptoapi module was not loaded in memory as lsmod showed what is the way ? regards, John Hello john (<qwejohn@hotmail.com>) wrote: > I want that a module will be loaded at boot. > I assume that I had to...

Flightstick Pro vs F16 Combatstick
As MichaelCHProd pointed me to the CH Shop link for the Gameport products, I noticed the F-16 Combatstick, and Fighterstick cost was lower than the Flightstick Pro. I have owned a few Flightstick Pros, and find that they are one of the few joysticks I can use (I have a form of MD that has limited the use of my hands). Together with a CH Throttle, I use this system to play all games that support joysticks. The Flightstick Pro doesn't seem to be a high end type controller, but it's priced a little more than I would expect a simple joystick with a hat, and throttle (such as its...

Re: Char() vs substr() (was Re: How to
Perhaps it's more efficient? -Joe On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Ya Huang <ya.huang@amylin.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > Can anyone comments on why SAS introduced the new function char()? > What is the advantage of char(a,1)? Isn't it the same as > substr(a,1,1)? > > Thanks > > Ya > ...