lynx 'browser' can't do "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"

lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via dump > fileID.

But [my current version] doesn't render the 'style' of:
      "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"

What is this new "xml" crap ?
Will it likely take over the older *.html ?

Thanks for any info,

== Chris Glur.

0
news
2/27/2007 5:12:09 PM
comp.infosystems.browsers.misc 292 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

news@absamail.co.za wrote in news:1172596265.663611@vasbyt.isdsl.net:

> lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via
> dump > fileID.
>
> But [my current version] doesn't render the 'style' of:
>       "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"
>
> What is this new "xml" crap ?
> Will it likely take over the older *.html ?
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> == Chris Glur.

The xml snippet is part of CSS, which lynx does not process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Css

You might also appreciate the comments in
http://betabug.ch/blogs/ch-athens/101

If you're writing your own UTF-8 pages, try this instead.  Lynx likes it
better:
<META CONTENT="text/html;charset=UTF-8" HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type">

Tools like wget, curl and snarf can quickly grab unmodified html, but they
do not render it into plain-text like lynx.
0
Mark
2/27/2007 11:57:44 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2007, Mark Blain wrote:

> If you're writing your own UTF-8 pages, try this instead.  Lynx likes it
> better:
> <META CONTENT="text/html;charset=UTF-8" HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type">

Lynx, like any browser, "likes" to find the encoding (charset) in
the HTTP header. *Everything* called <meta http-equiv> is only
a poor ersatz, a cheapo surrogate, a plastic imitation from China.

Example with "charset=utf-8" in the HTTP header:
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell