Finding library call information (GNAT-Linux)

We are chasing some problems... that are rather interesting...

The environment - is a Simulation...

  containing a Robot arm, etc...

  We are on a multi-processor system (2 Pentium IIIs)

  Now, when a particular version of the arm was delivered - constraint
errors - typically having to do with double precision floating point
started occuring... (very intermittently)... and when they occur... they
occur in *flurries*...

  The personnel *instrumented* the code - and the results are very squirelly...

  Constaint Errors being returned for zero (a valid value) - other
times... constraint errors on a number (0 <- zero and by this I mean
0.0)... multiplied by another number - returning some really interesting
values...

  The suspicion is that a driver might be stomping on a register -
however, that doesn't seem all that reasonable...

  Then, we created a little Double Precision test - and ran this as a
seperate process - runs for forever... or seemingly so... with no
problems...

  Then, we ran this little DP process while the Real-Time simulation was
active... and low & behold... intermittent errors (constraint problems)...

  Trying to delve deeper - I was given the assembly source for the program
- and am trying to instrument at a *somewhat lower* level (smile)... than
we can do from ADA code...

  Getting the assembly listing - there are several *calls*... that appear
to be ada/system libraries.  The *system* is not Linux system - as the
text strings are not found going through Linux source repository *free
text* searches (or identifier searches)...  So, perhaps they are *Ada
System* interfaces...

  I am wondering where to find information about the calls and the results
I should expect... (what the heck they are doing)...

specifically the following calls are of interests...
     system__arith_64__multiply_with_ovflo_check
     _gnat_stack_check
     system__secondary_stack__ss_allocate

and several others...

  I'm wondering - where I can find the *source* or documentation on this
*called* routines...  So, I'll be able to completely understand the flow
within the assembly code...

Thank You for Any assistance!,
Carl R. Franklin

--
                                        Just me,
                                        Carl R. Franklin

It is really difficult to answer questions like this which do not
identify the hardware platform, OS version, and compiler
version, but since we're talking about _some_ version of gnat,
we can determine the following:

The names with double underscores represent the link names of
Ada subprograms as indicated by the many examples in the
Gnat User Guide.  The gnat source code for the subprograms
in question documents in code and in comments what the
subprograms do.

For the name with only single underscores, a grep of the files
in the adainclude directory reveals that it is the link name of
a gnat subprogram exported so it can be called from C code.
Here, again, what the subprogram does is documented in the
source code.

Hope this helps

> We are chasing some problems... that are rather interesting...
>
> The environment - is a Simulation...
>
>   containing a Robot arm, etc...
>
>   We are on a multi-processor system (2 Pentium IIIs)
>
>   Now, when a particular version of the arm was delivered - constraint
> errors - typically having to do with double precision floating point
> started occuring... (very intermittently)... and when they occur... they
> occur in *flurries*...
>
>   The personnel *instrumented* the code - and the results are very
squirelly...

>   Constaint Errors being returned for zero (a valid value) - other
> times... constraint errors on a number (0 <- zero and by this I mean
> 0.0)... multiplied by another number - returning some really interesting
> values...
>
>   The suspicion is that a driver might be stomping on a register -
> however, that doesn't seem all that reasonable...
>
>   Then, we created a little Double Precision test - and ran this as a
> seperate process - runs for forever... or seemingly so... with no
> problems...
>
>   Then, we ran this little DP process while the Real-Time simulation was
> active... and low & behold... intermittent errors (constraint problems)...
>
>   Trying to delve deeper - I was given the assembly source for the program
> - and am trying to instrument at a *somewhat lower* level (smile)... than
> we can do from ADA code...
>
>   Getting the assembly listing - there are several *calls*... that appear
> to be ada/system libraries.  The *system* is not Linux system - as the
> text strings are not found going through Linux source repository *free
> text* searches (or identifier searches)...  So, perhaps they are *Ada
> System* interfaces...
>
>   I am wondering where to find information about the calls and the results
> I should expect... (what the heck they are doing)...
>
> specifically the following calls are of interests...
>      system__arith_64__multiply_with_ovflo_check
>      _gnat_stack_check
>      system__secondary_stack__ss_allocate
>
> and several others...
>
>   I'm wondering - where I can find the *source* or documentation on this
> *called* routines...  So, I'll be able to completely understand the flow
> within the assembly code...
>
> Thank You for Any assistance!,
> Carl R. Franklin
>
> --
>                                         Just me,
>                                         Carl R. Franklin

A gentleman wrote - and told me where to find the source of the run-time
includes... Thanks very much to him! :)

Carl...

--
                                        Just me,
                                        Carl R. Franklin
Carl Franklin <CarlR-junk@houston.rr.com> wrote:

:  Now, when a particular version of the arm was delivered - constraint
: errors - typically having to do with double precision floating point

As a guess, there used to be issues with mixed sources code on Intel
compatibles, where GNAT is using the available fpt precision bits (80)
while some libraries have been compiled to use double precision (64).
(There is a subprogram somewhere in GNAT's library to set the fpt unit,
I can't at the moment remember the name.)

just my 2c,
Georg

0
sb463ba2 (614)

Calling Ada from C (linux/gnat 4.3.2)
I am trying to port a program originally written on VxWork to Linux. The main program is written in C and spawns new threads and in the new threads calls are made to Ada procedures. In the original program, written with GreenHills AdaMulti, it appears that there was a call being made that I am assuming was initializing the Ada Runtime's task stack/control block (rts_init_task()) - however this is just a guess. In the version of the program I am migrating, I was seeing things that made me believe that the Ada thread's did not have their stacks setup properly, so I added the -fstack-check flag to the build. Now, the C program creates the new thread, which calls the ada procedure - and the moment the thread has an opportunity to run - the application exits with 'raised STORAGE_ERROR : stack overflow detected' I cannot get gdb to provide me a backtrace, since the program exits. If I try to break on the ada procedure name, I get a break, but trying to 'step' or 'next' keeps me in the main thread until a 'sleep' call lets the other thread run - at which point it raises the exception. I am assuming that the ada runtime is initializing and the STORAGE_ERROR is raised before it gets to execute any of the code in my Ada procedure. I have been trying to search to find what the proper way would be to call an Ada procedure from a C pthread, but have had zero luck. I also have been unable to determine what the equivalent of the 'rts_init_ta...

Linux complaints: easy to find. Linux praise: hard to find
Why is it so easy to find huge collections of Linux complaints (virtually every forum of every distro), but you can't find big collections of Linux positive reviews? I can go to www.newegg.com right now and find 1000+ positive reviews (~70% of total) of Windows Vista. What it tells me is hardly anyone uses Linux, and those that do use it have lots of problems. Wait... haven't I said that before? On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:27:24 -0500, DFS wrote: > Why is it so easy to find huge collections of Linux complaints > (virtually every forum of every distro), but you can't fi...

Where to Find Linux API Information?
I'll be using gcc under Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Where do I find information about the low-level calls to the operating system from compiled 'C'? For example, if I want to cause a process to sleep, or look at the permissions of a file ... where is this written down? Thanks, Dave. "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> writes: > I'll be using gcc under Red Hat Enterprise Linux. > > Where do I find information about the low-level calls to the operating > system from compiled 'C'? Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which...

How to find out what libraries a binary calls?
Hi guys. The same binary on two different machines produces two different results. One machine is an x86_64 and another is an i586. My previous tests with the same CPUs and binaries produced identical results. The only difference is that now my x86_64 had an upgrade from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0, and in the process I installed a few different libraries. Some were done through YaST, some were just copied over from a 32-bit machine to /usr/lib (when I couldn't find the appropriate library on the SuSE CD) For now, I'm guessing it is a library problem but I can't remember what library I...

Calling Ada Library from C++
Hello, I am trying to make a static Ada library that is callable from Visual C ++. I have created a my_library.a file by using a GNAT project file similar to the following: project My_Lib is for Source_Dirs use ("src1", "src2"); for Object_Dir use "obj"; for Library_Name use "my_library"; for Library_Dir use "lib"; for Library_Kind use "static"; end My_lib; I am not familiar with adding libraries to Visual C++. It appears the convention is a ".lib" file vice a ".a". Am I on the right track with this? Can I simply rename my ".a" file, or use it as is? How do I link it into the C++ application? Any help provided on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you. I cannot help you myself, but take a loot at this wikibook article, it might be useful: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Platform/Windows/Visual_C%2B%2= B_-_GNAT_interface On 23 feb, 17:14, markp <markwor...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to make a static Ada library that is callable from Visual C > ++. I have created a my_library.a file by using a GNAT project file > similar to the following: > > project My_Lib is > =A0 =A0for Source_Dirs use ("src1", "src2"); > =A0 =A0for Object_Dir use "obj"; > =A0 =A0for Library_Name use "my_library"; > =A0 =A0for Library_Dir use "lib"; > =A0 =A0for Library_K...

[Simulink, S-functions] Calling Lapack++ library from a library called by a S-function
Hello fellow Simulink users, I am developing some C++ S-functions which call an external C++ library for physical computations. Library exports match the principal methods used by the runtime environment : (excerpt from the library header file :) __declspec( dllexport ) static MyPhisicalBlock* create( void ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void set_parameters( double* foo, double* bar ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void outputs( const double* const in1, double* out1, double* out2r ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void derivatives( c...

(Old) Tape Library ... where to find more information?
Hi, recently I was able to buy an old Tape Library for myself at home. I wasn't able to test it (and I was expecting problems ;) but I wanted to test it. It has the lable "transtec 7500" in the front of the machine, it has one DLT-Drive in it and it can store up to 9 DL-Tapes in it. But when I try to start it, the DLT-Drive itself seems to have problems. At least it sounds like it tries to "open" itself but isn't able to. Now my question: - does anyone here knows that box and knows where I can find more documentation? - I have a standalone DLT-Dr...

Ada Library, called, returns and continues ?
so I have been going around in circles(as usual)with a problem. I would lik= e to use Ada as a library from a single threaded GUI application. I don't want the GUI to block and I want the freedom to use Ada's threading= model without too many restrictions. I keep changing my mind but today I looking into the Fox Toolkit. I am thin= king about writing a single threaded C++ or Ruby application and then calli= ng Ada from it. I was thinking about using UNIX sockets or dbus and have the two live separ= ate lives, just communicating as needed but I am wondering if I am missing = something simple. If I write and compile an Ada library into my GUI app, is= it possible to call an Ada function, have it return quickly but then have = Ada code continue to execute using threading? Honestly I have not used Ada's threading yet but could the GUI call an entr= y, perhaps after an initialization call to start the threads? Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> writes: > Honestly I have not used Ada's threading yet but could the GUI call an > entry, perhaps after an initialization call to start the threads? Yes. On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:21:16 -0800 (PST), Patrick wrote: > I don't want the GUI to block and I want the freedom to use Ada's > threading model without too many restrictions. This is understandable > I keep changing my mind but today I looking into the Fox Toolkit. I am > thinking about writi...

Ada (GNAT) and GNU Scientific Library
Any hint on how an Ada programmer (using linux) can use GNU Scientific Library ? reinert Reinert Korsnes writes: > Any hint on how an Ada programmer (using linux) can use GNU > Scientific Library ? There is currently no Ada binding, and you are welcome to create one. You could start with a thin binding to the few subprograms you need, publish it on Sourceforge, Savannah, Tigris or Belios, and invite other people to join in. PS. This topic was discussed on November 1st on this newsgroup; please search the archives if you want to know who else is interested :) PPS. Adrian Wrigley might be willing to publish his few thin bindings under the GPL, as a starting point? -- Ludovic Brenta. Ludovic Brenta wrote: > Reinert Korsnes writes: > > Any hint on how an Ada programmer (using linux) can use GNU > > Scientific Library ? > > There is currently no Ada binding, and you are welcome to create one. > You could start with a thin binding to the few subprograms you need, > publish it on Sourceforge, Savannah, Tigris or Belios, and invite > other people to join in. > > PS. This topic was discussed on November 1st on this newsgroup; please > search the archives if you want to know who else is interested :) > > PPS. Adrian Wrigley might be willing to publish his few thin bindings > under the GPL, as a starting point? > > -- > Ludovic Brenta. I would think that it would be more useful to translate the library to Ada as a ...

No tasking with GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux?!?
I was told that the GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux does NOT support tasking!! Is this true?!? Could it be? Any plans to include it? Any work arounds? Thanks all. *-> That Guy Downstairs <-* wrote: > I was told that the GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux does NOT support tasking!! > > Is this true?!? Probably. It is not currently listed as a supported platform at: http://www.gnat.com/gnatpro_summary.php And it certainly appeared true about a year ago http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg01189.html > > Could it be? Yes > Any plans to include it? Might be worth a posting/question at gcc.gnu.org GCC mailing lists since developers are more likely to hang out there. > Any work arounds? MacOS X? Or contact AdaCore to see if they will build one for you. This patch (for an older version of GCC) looks promising because it is small http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2003/09/msg00251.html I was told its part of gcc 4.0 but not earlier versions. i havent tried it yet. i have patches to build tasking with 3.4.3 if you want for yellow dog that i got from a guy at boeing. he said i could pass them on so if you want them send me an email and i will send them back. jim In article <-pCdna0OH7X_ieXfRVn-qQ@comcast.com>, Jeff C <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote: > *-> That Guy Downstairs <-* wrote: > > I was told that the GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux does NOT support tasking!! ...

Calling library functions in Linux kernel code
Hi, I have a few queries about calling library functions in Linux Kernel(module) code. What are the disadvantages of using printf instead of printk in kernel code ? I have also heard that it is unwise to use standard library functions in the kernel but was unable to understand why. Can someone please explain the reason for the same ? Thanks Linny Linny <linvin333@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a few queries about calling library functions in Linux > Kernel(module) code. > What are the disadvantages of using printf instead of printk in kernel > code ? The disadvantage is rather simple: you can't use libraries in the kernel or in modules code. The kernel isn't a normal program that would get loaded at some time, including libraries, instead it's what get used in the end to load other programs and libraries. Moreover, you really don't want to have potentially buggy or even malicious code from libraries getting loaded into the kernel indiscriminately - even a small bug might bring the whole system down instead of just one of hundreds of programs running at the same time! > I have also heard that it is unwise to use standard library functions > in the kernel but was unable to understand why. Again, the simple reason is that the standard library isn't available at all in the kernel. All you've got is what's in the kernel. You simply have to make do with the functions the kernel supplies, e.g. with printk() instead of printf()....

System call and library call
This is one of the interview question this morning, hope someone can help out with this. Thanks. What is the different between System call and library call? leoman730 wrote: > This is one of the interview question this morning, hope someone can > help out with this. Thanks. > What is the different between System call and library call? > Here's another question. What's your C++ *language* question? As to your first, try Google or Wikipedia. On May 3, 3:32 pm, leoman730 <leoman...@gmail.com> wrote: > What is the different between System call and library call?...

Unix system call to find network information
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a system call or a library routine to fetch the network parameters (like, host name, domain name, IP address of the DNS server, protocol like DHCP if enabled or not) to which the machine is connected. I know the windows equivalent, which is GetNetworkParams. But so far, not been able to find out the UNIX equivalent. Please help me. Thanks in advance ! ! ! Rahul <sam_cit@yahoo.co.in> wrote: > Hi Everyone, > I'm looking for a system call or a library routine to fetch the > network parameters (like, host name, domain name, IP address of ...

ada without ada libraries?
Hi Everyone I just got my compiler set up the way I want it and I am ready for my first ada project. I have spent sometime with lua. Lua's library support is terrible but lots of people love the language. Many people just build a rough skeleton application in C and call it from lua. Lua handles all the type checking and much of the logic in this arrangement and C is mostly just library code. Would this same approach seem logical for ada? -Patrick On 02/07/2012 04:14 PM, Patrick wrote: > Hi Everyone > > I just got my compiler set up the way I want it and I am ready for my > first ada project. > > I have spent sometime with lua. Lua's library support is terrible but > lots of people love the language. Many people just build a rough > skeleton application in C and call it from lua. > > Lua handles all the type checking and much of the logic in this > arrangement and C is mostly just library code. > > Would this same approach seem logical for ada? -Patrick This might make sense, if you're claiming that Ada's "library support is terrible"; else, why would you make this comparison? It sounds like you want to use Ada, but not use the Ada libraries. If you instead want to use Ada with a library for which you don't have an Ada interface, you can build (or look for) a binding to that library. This is done in Ada, not in another language. See the Ada packages Interfaces.*. Typically, you don't need...

calling library func with stream fails under linux
On Mandriva Linux I created a shared object (.so) lib with following code; #include &lt;sstream&gt;extern "C" int test(const char* c){ &nbsp; std::stringstream s(c);&nbsp; &nbsp; int i;&nbsp; s &gt;&gt; i;&nbsp; return i;} No when I try to call test from LabVIEW using a 'Call Library Function Node', I get an error (see attached error_message.jpg) trying to configure it.I get the same error when I open the vi (see attached test_vi.jpg).When I build the same code into a dll under Windows the same test_vi runs perfectly.In other occasions where we used (string)streams more embedded in the library we were able tostart up the vi but problems occurred when running it.It seems that using 'Call Library Function Node' with libraries with C++ streams in it, is not possible with Linux LabVIEW.Any thoughts? error_message.jpg: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/248708/1/error_message.jpg test_vi.jpg: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/248708/2/test_vi.jpg ...

[GNAT] Importing a C/C++ library from within Ada?
Hi, I was wondering, is there an efficient way to import a C/C++ library withing Ada on Linux platform using GNAT. I simply like to be able to access the functions/methods from Ada. Thanks in advance, -Conrad The GNAT manual should describe the CPP interface package and associated pragmas to support imported C++ code. My advice is to RTFM (Read The Fantastic Manual). <conradwt@runbox.com> wrote in message news:1114026742.256627.5450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I was wondering, is there an efficient way to import a C/C++ > library withing Ada on Linux platform using GNAT. I simply like to be > able to access the functions/methods from Ada. > > Thanks in advance, > > -Conrad > Today 01:11:23 am On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:52 am, conradwt@runbox.com wrote: > Hi, I was wondering, is there an efficient way to import a C/C++ > library withing Ada on Linux platform using GNAT. =A0I simply like to be > able to access the functions/methods from Ada. > =A0 =A0 I'm in the middle of building an Ada module for SWIG, which will ge= nerate=20 Ada bindings to C/C++ librarys. =A0 =A0 The module is still in the early stages, but can produce bindings=20 (currently rather ugly ones) for very simple C and C++ libraries.=20 =A0 =A0 After I work through a majority of the SWIG test suite, and clean u= p the=20 code, the module should go into the SWIG cvs, and be available for general= =20 use. =A0 =A0 The initial release will prov...

How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
Hello, my question is asked on the subject line. Thank you, Christopher Lusardi Chris Lusardi wrote: > Hello, my question is asked on the subject line. Have you tried adapower.com and adaworld.com? -- Jeff Carter "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Blazing Saddles 89 "Chris Lusardi" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message news:1153937625.891281.39820@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hello, my question is asked on the subject line. > > Thank you, > Christopher Lusard...

Re: No tasking with GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux?!?
It is correct that tasking with GNAT is supported starting with gcc-4.0. = In fact, I have done it. It works beautifully. AV >>> jim hopper <hopperj@macconnect.com> 05/04/05 5:29 PM >>> I was told its part of gcc 4.0 but not earlier versions. i havent tried it yet. i have patches to build tasking with 3.4.3 if you want for yellow dog that i got from a guy at boeing. he said i could pass them on so if you want them send me an email and i will send them back. jim In article <-pCdna0OH7X_ieXfRVn-qQ@comcast.com>, Jeff C <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote: > *-> That Guy Downstairs <-* wrote: > > I was told that the GNAT Ada on Yellow Dog Linux does NOT support = tasking!! ...

System calls
Hi, I would like to now your opinion about the two options in the subject. Let's suppose that the problem is a network-aware application on the POSIX system. Ada doesn't know about network per RM, so we have to look around for libraries. One option is to use the GNAT library that has some package for sockets. Another is to write thin wrappers that bind directly to relevant system calls (socket, connect, read, write, close, bind, listen, accept, select - that's it for the basic stuff). 1. The advantage of using GNAT library is portability across various systems that are targeted by GNAT. (I assume that the GNAT library is available outside of POSIX - if not, please correct me.) 2. The advantage of writing custom thin wrappers is portability across various compilers that target POSIX platforms. The first is not really important for me, I will probably use only POSIX systems. The seconds is not important neither, I will probably use only GNAT. In other words - the focus for evaluation should go elsewhere. Performance? Maintainability? Some other factors? Thank you for your feedback. -- Maciej Sobczak http://www.msobczak.com/ Maciej Sobczak writes: > Let's suppose that the problem is a network-aware application on the > POSIX system. Ada doesn't know about network per RM, so we have to > look around for libraries. > One option is to use the GNAT library that has some package for > sockets. > Another is to write thin wrappers that bi...

gnat : "ada.calendar.formatting" is not a predefined library
Hi, When I try to compile aws, I get the following message: mscm@routeur:~/gnat/aws/AWS-gpl-2.3.0$ make build Building libz.a (Zlib library) gnatmake: objects up to date. gnatmake: objects up to date. gcc-4.2 -c -gnat05 -gnatwcfijkmruv -gnaty3abcefhiklmnoprstx -Wall -O2 -gnatn -I- -gnatA /var/local/mscm/gnat/aws/AWS-gpl-2.3.0/src/aws-services-dispatchers-timer.adb aws-services-dispatchers-timer.ads:31:06: "ADA.CALENDAR.FORMATTING" is not a predefined library unit aws-services-dispatchers-timer.ads:31:06: "AWS.SERVICES.DISPATCHERS.TIMER (body)" depends on "AWS.SERVICES.DISPATCHERS.TIMER (spec)" aws-services-dispatchers-timer.ads:31:06: "AWS.SERVICES.DISPATCHERS.TIMER (spec)" depends on "ADA.CALENDAR.FORMATTING (spec)" gnatmake: "/var/local/mscm/gnat/aws/AWS-gpl-2.3.0/src/aws-services-dispatchers-timer.adb" compilation error make[1]: *** [build] Error 4 make: *** [src_build] Error 2 I try the following sample test: with Ada.Calendar.Formatting; procedure test is begin Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line("test"); end test; And get at compile time: mscm@routeur:~/gnat/aws$ gcc -gnat05 -c test.adb test.adb:1:06: "ada.calendar.formatting" is not a predefined library unit I'm under ubuntu, and it looks like something is missing in gnat, how to fix it? I'm using : mscm@routeur:~/gnat/aws$ gnat GNAT 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu6) Copyright 1996-2006, Free Software Foundation, Inc. Than...

Calling Linux C library and F2003's C interoperability
Hello, I am trying to figure out if the F2003's C interoperability can help me to call Linux's system library call without resorting to write all sorts of C wrappers for Fortran. Specifically, I want a simple & portable way to create directories from a Fortran program. On Unix / Linux, there is of course a library function that can be called from C: "man 2 mkdir": #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> int mkdir(const char *pathname, mode_t mode); The question is, can I call this from Fortran with the the 2003 C interoperability f...

Newbie question
Hi all, Excuse this extreme newbie question but I can't seem to find what system call you would use to determine if the the end of a file, previously opened with open(), has been reached. I would have assumed logically that it would be eof() or leof() but there are no calls by these names, feof() requires a FILE * type and will not work on a file descriptor returned by open. Is there a way to do this. Regards, Chris ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,0...

Help with getting GNAT Ada running on 64-bit Gentoo Linux
Are there any pointers out there that provide any help with this process? I've seen 64-bit GNAT rpms for SuSe, but that doesn't seem to have much help for soeone using Gentoo. Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers. --Larry Larry Elmore writes: > Are there any pointers out there that provide any help with this > process? I've seen 64-bit GNAT rpms for SuSe, but that doesn't seem > to have much help for soeone using Gentoo. > > Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers. > > --Larry This depends on what 64-bit platform you are targetting. I think your best bet is to look at GCC 3.4.1; the GNAT in there supports several 64-bit platforms. -- Ludovic Brenta. Ludovic Brenta wrote: > Larry Elmore writes: > >>Are there any pointers out there that provide any help with this >>process? I've seen 64-bit GNAT rpms for SuSe, but that doesn't seem >>to have much help for soeone using Gentoo. >> >>Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers. >> >>--Larry > > > This depends on what 64-bit platform you are targetting. I think your > best bet is to look at GCC 3.4.1; the GNAT in there supports several > 64-bit platforms. Oops, sorry -- amd64. I posted this a couple of weeks ago on the Gentoo amd64 forum, but no responses. The stumbling block for me is that you need a working Ada compiler to compile Ada support in gcc, but I can't get 32-bit GNAT working on...

call procedure in Linux-Ada-module from "normal" program
Hi Debian sarge kernel 2.4.27, gcc-3.3 I've been tinkering with modules by using Ada. The module compiles, and I manage to do insmod on it. The symbols appears in ksyms; like "some_call_me". Now I wish to call "some_call_me" from the test program (3) - is that possible? I compile it with "gnatmake test_somemodule.adb" It fails during linking : gnatbind -x test_somemodule.ali gnatlink test_somemodule.ali ../test_somemodule.o(.text+0x1f): In function `_ada_test_somemodule': : undefined reference to `some_call_me' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status gnatlink: cannot call /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 gnatmake: *** link failed. How do I make the linker link with the kernel symbol? Frank ----------- 1 (slightly edited in this post) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- with Interfaces.C; package SomeModule is -- Module Variables type Aliased_String is array (Positive range <>) of aliased Character; pragma Convention (C, Aliased_String); Kernel_Version: constant Aliased_String:="2.4.27-2-386" & Character'Val(0); pragma Export (C, Kernel_Version, "kernel_version"); Mod_Use_Count: Integer; Pragma Export (C, Mod_Use_Count, "mod_use_count_"); -- Kernel Calls procedure Printk( s : string ); pragma import( C, printk, "printk" ); -- Our Module Functions function Init_Module return Interfac...

Web resources about - Finding library call information (GNAT-Linux) - comp.lang.ada

Information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information (shortened as info or info. ) is that which informs, i.e. an answer to a question, as well as that from which knowledge and data ...

InformationWeek – Latest Information Technology (IT) news & IT articles - Technology news - IT magazine ...
InformationWeek provides latest Information technology (IT) news online & articles and publishes latest tech news & IT magazine for Indian IT ...

Tiahleigh Palmer’s mother Cindy appeals for information about her daughter’s murder
THE mother of murdered schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer has made a desperate public appeal for information about her daughter’s death and expressed ...

Family of Raymond and Jennie Kehlet plead for information into couple’s death and disappearance - PerthNow ...
... family of former prospectors Raymond and Jennie Kehlet — one found dead in a mine shaft, the other missing — are pleading for anyone with information ...

Steven Avery case: New information questions if bones found were Teresa Halbach’s
The bone fragments discovered on Steven Avery's property were never definitely proven to be Teresa Halbach's.

The European Commission wants more information on Apple's tax affairs in Ireland
The European Commission has asked tax authorities in Ireland for additional information on Apple's tax affairs in the country, according to The ...

IDG Contributor Network: Information security and the art of business enablement
During my career, I have always straddled the fence between the technology side and the business side in the companies I have worked for. This ...

Your Prescription Information Isn’t Really Private
Who sees your prescription information? No, there are more people involved than just the pharmacists and technicians at your local drugstore ...