Ncurses and Ada

Hello,
 I started learn ada recently and mess with ncurses.
 I know this is somewhat unrelated but maybe someone can help me here.
 I build ncurses with Ada support,
 Ada examples(rain and so on) has been built fine.
 But i don't know how should i build mine programs that uses ncurses.
 For example: I copy rain.adb from examples dir to some other dir,
 How can i build it? What options of gnatmake should i pick to build it?
0
Eilie (8)
3/9/2012 2:40:00 PM
comp.lang.ada 8010 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

14 Replies
187 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53
On Friday, March 9, 2012 3:40:00 PM UTC+1, Eilie wrote:
> Hello,
>  I started learn ada recently and mess with ncurses.
>  I know this is somewhat unrelated but maybe someone can help me here.
>  I build ncurses with Ada support,
>  Ada examples(rain and so on) has been built fine.
>  But i don't know how should i build mine programs that uses ncurses.
>  For example: I copy rain.adb from examples dir to some other dir,
>  How can i build it? What options of gnatmake should i pick to build it?

Is ncurses related with curses? (I guess so) Ah, memories... I used curses =
_many_ years ago, when I was a student and I thought that the name was quit=
e appropriate... :-/  Especially when the usual segmentation fault left you=
r VT100 monitor [yes, I am that old!] in an unusable state, forcing you to =
logout and login  again...

Seriously, since I never used ncurses, I cannot be of much help, but I can =
give you some general advice.  Does the example dir has some project file (=
*.gpr)?  If it has, I would start from that, taking an existing project fil=
e and modifying to my needs.

Hope this "bootstraps" you.

Riccardo
0
framefritti (102)
3/9/2012 2:56:16 PM
On 2012-03-09, mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 9, 2012 3:40:00 PM UTC+1, Eilie wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I started learn ada recently and mess with ncurses.
>>  I know this is somewhat unrelated but maybe someone can help me here.
>>  I build ncurses with Ada support,
>>  Ada examples(rain and so on) has been built fine.
>>  But i don't know how should i build mine programs that uses ncurses.
>>  For example: I copy rain.adb from examples dir to some other dir,
>>  How can i build it? What options of gnatmake should i pick to build it?
>
> Is ncurses related with curses? (I guess so) Ah, memories... I used curses _many_ years ago, when I was a student and I thought that the name was quite appropriate...
>:-/  Especially when the usual segmentation fault left your VT100 monitor [yes, I am that old!] in an unusable state, forcing you to logout and login  again...
>
> Seriously, since I never used ncurses, I cannot be of much help, but I can give you some general advice.  Does the example dir has some project file (*.gpr)?  If it has, I would start from that, taking an existing project file and modifying to my needs.
>
> Hope this "bootstraps" you.
>
> Riccardo

I'm tryng to make some simple CLI game.
I think that study GtkAda for this purpose would be overhead.
But if there is some more stable/usable lib for that purpose(CLI tools/games)
i will be happy to hear about it.
0
Eilie (8)
3/9/2012 4:59:46 PM
On Friday, March 9, 2012 10:59:46 AM UTC-6, Eilie wrote:
> 
> I'm tryng to make some simple CLI game.
> I think that study GtkAda for this purpose would be overhead.
> But if there is some more stable/usable lib for that purpose(CLI tools/games)
> i will be happy to hear about it.

Inspired by Kroz?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroz_series
0
3/9/2012 5:13:01 PM
On Friday, March 9, 2012 5:59:46 PM UTC+1, Eilie wrote:
> On 2012-03-09, mockturtle <...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, March 9, 2012 3:40:00 PM UTC+1, Eilie wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>  I started learn ada recently and mess with ncurses.
> >>  I know this is somewhat unrelated but maybe someone can help me here.
> >>  I build ncurses with Ada support,
> >>  Ada examples(rain and so on) has been built fine.
> >>  But i don't know how should i build mine programs that uses ncurses.
> >>  For example: I copy rain.adb from examples dir to some other dir,
> >>  How can i build it? What options of gnatmake should i pick to build i=
t?
> >
> > Is ncurses related with curses? (I guess so) Ah, memories... I used cur=
ses _many_ years ago, when I was a student and I thought that the name was =
quite appropriate...
> >:-/  Especially when the usual segmentation fault left your VT100 monito=
r [yes, I am that old!] in an unusable state, forcing you to logout and log=
in  again...
> >
> > Seriously, since I never used ncurses, I cannot be of much help, but I =
can give you some general advice.  Does the example dir has some project fi=
le (*.gpr)?  If it has, I would start from that, taking an existing project=
 file and modifying to my needs.
> >
> > Hope this "bootstraps" you.
> >
> > Riccardo
>=20
> I'm tryng to make some simple CLI game.
> I think that study GtkAda for this purpose would be overhead.
> But if there is some more stable/usable lib for that purpose(CLI tools/ga=
mes)
> i will be happy to hear about it.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding (with written exchange it may happens): =
I was not criticizing your choice, it just made me wonder (and smile) since=
 it recalled to my memory my experience with "curses." =20
(BTW, I am smiling while I write this ;-)

Riccardo
0
framefritti (102)
3/9/2012 5:35:42 PM
On 2012-03-09, Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 9, 2012 10:59:46 AM UTC-6, Eilie wrote:
>>
>> I'm tryng to make some simple CLI game.
>> I think that study GtkAda for this purpose would be overhead.
>> But if there is some more stable/usable lib for that purpose(CLI tools/games)
>> i will be happy to hear about it.
>
> Inspired by Kroz?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroz_series

Not really.
I'm just begginer it's too hard for me write rougelikes in Ada.
I need to start with a small steps.
Maybe some Sokoban or Sudoku with ncurses(i'm know these to games can be
easely implemented without ncurses but i want to study Ada ncurses too).
0
Eilie (8)
3/9/2012 5:44:09 PM
Eilie writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Hello,
>  I started learn ada recently and mess with ncurses.
>  I know this is somewhat unrelated but maybe someone can help me here.
>  I build ncurses with Ada support,
>  Ada examples(rain and so on) has been built fine.
>  But i don't know how should i build mine programs that uses ncurses.
>  For example: I copy rain.adb from examples dir to some other dir,
>  How can i build it? What options of gnatmake should i pick to build it?

I don't know what platform you develop on but Debian is your friend :)
and Nicolas Boulenguez made sure it is as easy as possible for you to
use ncurses in your programs:

aptitude install libncursesada2-dev

then look in the file /usr/share/ada/adainclude/ncursesada.gpr.

-- 
Ludovic Brenta.
0
ludovic (1598)
3/9/2012 5:57:03 PM
On 2012-03-09, Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>
> I don't know what platform you develop on but Debian is your friend :)
> and Nicolas Boulenguez made sure it is as easy as possible for you to
> use ncurses in your programs:
>
> aptitude install libncursesada2-dev
>
> then look in the file /usr/share/ada/adainclude/ncursesada.gpr.
>

I'm on Arch Linux and i have /usr/share/ada/adainclude but i don't have
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/ncursesada.gpr in it.

I already find out wich options should i use to compile my code with
ncurses. Anyway thank you for your attention.
0
Eilie (8)
3/9/2012 6:28:39 PM
Am Freitag, 9. M=E4rz 2012 19:28:39 UTC+1 schrieb Eilie:
> I'm on Arch Linux and i have /usr/share/ada/adainclude but i don't have
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/ncursesada.gpr in it.
>=20
> I already find out wich options should i use to compile my code with
> ncurses. Anyway thank you for your attention.

I created a few Ada related PKGBUILDs for the AUR and will have a look at n=
cursesada.

BTW, where did you get /usr/share/ada/adainclude from? Normally, the Ada li=
brary packages should install to /usr/include/<foo> and /usr/lib/<foo> and =
their project files to /usr/lib/gnat.

You can identify the package owning a file by using pacman -Qo
0
julian71 (28)
3/12/2012 8:18:50 AM
Julian Leyh <julian@vgai.de> writes:

> BTW, where did you get /usr/share/ada/adainclude from? Normally, the
> Ada library packages should install to /usr/include/<foo> and
> /usr/lib/<foo> and their project files to /usr/lib/gnat.

FSF GCC and GNAT GPL both use $prefix/lib/gnat to find GPR files, with
the rest of the layout as you say.

The /usr/share/ada/adainclude is Debian's layout. I don't know why it's
different (probably Ludovic needed a scheme before AdaCore had settled
on theirs) and I haven't so far worked out install scripts that will
work in either situation.
0
simon8285 (1465)
3/12/2012 8:42:19 AM
On 2012-03-12, Julian Leyh <julian@vgai.de> wrote:
> I created a few Ada related PKGBUILDs for the AUR and will have a look at ncursesada.
>
> BTW, where did you get /usr/share/ada/adainclude from? Normally, the Ada library packages should install to /usr/include/<foo> and /usr/lib/<foo> and their project files to /usr/lib/gnat.
>
> You can identify the package owning a file by using pacman -Qo

/usr/share/ada/adainclude/terminal_interface-curses.adb is owned by
ncurses 5.9-3

I just build ncurses from ABS with ada support.
0
Eilie (8)
3/12/2012 9:04:03 AM
Simon Wright wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Julian Leyh writes:
>> BTW, where did you get /usr/share/ada/adainclude from? Normally, the
>> Ada library packages should install to /usr/include/<foo> and
>> /usr/lib/<foo> and their project files to /usr/lib/gnat.
> 
> FSF GCC and GNAT GPL both use $prefix/lib/gnat to find GPR files, with
> the rest of the layout as you say.
> 
> The /usr/share/ada/adainclude is Debian's layout. I don't know why it's
> different (probably Ludovic needed a scheme before AdaCore had settled
> on theirs)

Correct. I didn't invent this path myself though; Florian Weimer did,
when he made the very first proposal for a standard ("GNU Ada
Environment Specification") back in 2001 or so.  IIRC, that
specification applied to the early .rpm packages for GNAT 3.13p
produced by the Ada for Linux Team.  So, it is possible that
/usr/share/ada/adainclude still exists in distributions other than
Debian.

> and I haven't so far worked out install scripts that will
> work in either situation.

Sorry about that :/ but as I've said many times, packaging is
difficult; if you want to concentrate on writing your software,
your best bet is to leave packaging to specialists of each target
platform while making their job as easy as possible.

-- 
Ludovic Brenta.
0
ludovic (1598)
3/12/2012 10:20:23 AM
On 12.03.12 11:20, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Simon Wright wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Julian Leyh writes:
>>> BTW, where did you get /usr/share/ada/adainclude from? Normally, the
>>> Ada library packages should install to /usr/include/<foo> and
>>> /usr/lib/<foo> and their project files to /usr/lib/gnat.
>>
>> FSF GCC and GNAT GPL both use $prefix/lib/gnat to find GPR files, with
>> the rest of the layout as you say.
>>
>> The /usr/share/ada/adainclude is Debian's layout. I don't know why it's
>> different (probably Ludovic needed a scheme before AdaCore had settled
>> on theirs)
> 
> Correct. I didn't invent this path myself though; Florian Weimer did,
> when he made the very first proposal for a standard ("GNU Ada
> Environment Specification") back in 2001 or so. 

According to $(man hier), an Ada compiler's spec files
would not normally be counted among UNIX System Resources,
specifically not in /usr/include, and since /usr/share seems to be
the place for architecture independent files, the current paths seem
o.K. to me.

0
3/12/2012 1:20:55 PM
Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:

> According to $(man hier), an Ada compiler's spec files would not
> normally be counted among UNIX System Resources, specifically not in
> /usr/include, and since /usr/share seems to be the place for
> architecture independent files, the current paths seem o.K. to me.

I don't have a Linux box immediately to hand, but Apple seem to think
it's OK to include Tcl & Python (neither of which is mentioned in `man
hier`, any more than Ada is) in /usr/include.
0
simon8285 (1465)
3/12/2012 2:33:19 PM
On 12.03.12 15:33, Simon Wright wrote:
> Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:
> 
>> According to $(man hier), an Ada compiler's spec files would not
>> normally be counted among UNIX System Resources, specifically not in
>> /usr/include, and since /usr/share seems to be the place for
>> architecture independent files, the current paths seem o.K. to me.
> 
> I don't have a Linux box immediately to hand, but Apple seem to think
> it's OK to include Tcl & Python (neither of which is mentioned in `man
> hier`, any more than Ada is) in /usr/include.

The header files seem to be mostly for interfacing to the language
(or library). Objective-C has its "objc" subdirectory, too. So do PHP
and some "system components".

Still, the bulk of what (I think) would correspond to the Ada RTS,
or AWS or Ada libraries in general lives in
/System/Library/Frameworks/{Tcl,Python}.framework/Versions,
alongside Cocoa, Ruby, IOKit, LDAP, ...

I'd nevertheless hope to find, in an "ada" subdirectory of /usr/include,
Ada related header files for cross language programming.
For example,if GNAT is a system compiler, one might then write

#include <ada/lifecycle.h>

and then the C compiler knows about functions (ultimately) named

  void adainit (void);
  void adafinal (void);

Thus, if other compilers have a comparable mechanism, the ARG could bless
names of functions controlling it, and programs that call Ada parts
from C parts would be made portable by including the system header.

Once Apple considers Ada part of the system, they will have done it
for us ;-)
0
3/12/2012 4:23:40 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

ada and database
hello, i'm new to ada. i want to connect to a database(SageST) with a certain ODBC. could someone please send me a sample code of how to do it. thanks, mati. On 28 Nov 2004 05:28:27 -0800, matias wrote: > i'm new to ada. Are you new to ODBC? > i want to connect to a database(SageST) with a certain ODBC. could > someone please send me a sample code of how to do it. > thanks, http://gnade.sourceforge.net (GNADE project) This has ODBC bindings (thin). Provided you know ODBC, GNADE's ODBC is very straightforward to use. -- Regards, Dmitry A. Kazakov http://www.dmit...

ncurses compilation problem
Hi, I can not compile ncurses (5.5) on 11.23, PA-RISC: ../configure .... (a lot of) /usr/lib/dld.sl: Invalid version for shared library: /usr/local/lib/libiconv.sl /usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error ../config.status[1125]: 5451 Abort(coredump) creating headers.sh ** Configuration summary for NCURSES 5.5 20051010: extended funcs: yes xterm terminfo: xterm-new bin directory: /usr/local/bin lib directory: /usr/local/lib include directory: /usr/local/include/ncurses man directory: /usr/local/man terminfo directory: /usr/local/share/terminfo ** Include-directory is...

Libraries written in Ada
Hi, I'm thinking about developing a library implementing a document model and file format, and it seems Ada is a good choice of language for that. I wonder, however, whether Ada's runtime environment doesn't count as a con there. The problem is not that it has to be initialized when using the library from another language, e.g. C. Many libraries need some initialization. But suppose I use two libs written in Ada in the same C program - will there be problems with the runtime environment? I don't think there should, just asking for your experience to be sure. (I also considere...

ADA course providers in SURREY, UK
Hello Everybody, Can anyone provide me with some information on ADA course providers in the SURREY region of the UK. I need to take a short course in Introduction (Beginners guide) to programming in ADA. I need to learn to program in ADA 83 and ADA95 so a course that incorporates both would be nice but not essential. The company is paying so I am not too worried about the cost (but would like it to be reasonable to stop managers moaning). Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks Naveed On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 07:55:38 +0100, corlioni1976 wrote: > Hello Everybody, > > Can a...

ncurses
Is there any way to eliminate a terminals emulation of a green cursor? that is, I wish to control how the terminals cursor looks like. For example, using putty over ssh, I have a stinking green cursor that signifies where input is waiting. When someone runs my curses application I don't want this green highlight effect for the cursor position. How can I control this stinking thing? j0mbolar <j0mbolar@engineer.com> wrote: > Is there any way to eliminate a terminals emulation of > a green cursor? that is, I wish to control how the terminals > cursor looks like. For example,...

Converting from XYZ to Ada : an helper here ?
Hello, I and many others believe the best porting tool to Ada (when relevant an= d = worthy) is the human-being and its unique ability for understanding (or = = non-understanding sometimes). That said to avoid confusion, if this may = = help, a language whose purpose is the transformation from one language t= o = another: TXL. This does not transform a model into a feel-in-the-gaps = target language, it is language to language. Home page: http://www.txl.ca/nabouttxl.html Interestingly, Praxis is cited as part of its users. -- = Si les chats miaulent et font a...

Another ncurses question
Looking at the man pages and curses.h, it seems that there are only 8 colours available: #define COLOR_BLACK 0 #define COLOR_RED 1 #define COLOR_GREEN 2 #define COLOR_YELLOW 3 #define COLOR_BLUE 4 #define COLOR_MAGENTA 5 #define COLOR_CYAN 6 #define COLOR_WHITE 7 Is there any way to display any other colours? -- Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk On 2005-11-09, Simon Elliott <Simon> wrote: > Looking at the man pages and curses.h, it seems that there are only 8 > colours available: > > #define COLOR_BLACK 0 > #define COLOR_RED 1 > #define COLOR_GREEN 2 > #de...

Ada Advocacy.
Hi everyone, In the goal to boost the Ada programming language, along with the making of my website, I'm looking for either documents, or links to comparisons between ada and other languages, description of Ada features that set it apart from other languages, basically any kind of PR there is out there about Ada. If you can just give me URL to places that have this info so I can do a research and create my own ada advocacy based on the results of my research. Thanks in advance :-) -- St�phane Richard Senior Software and Technology Supervisor http://www.totalweb-inc.com For all your h...

ncurses problems
Hi every one I am writing a program, that will create a window, with a subwindow inside of it. The layout will hopefully look something like this --------------------------------- | | | | | | | Window 1 | | | | | | | --------------------------------- | | | Sub Window | --------------------------------- I am using the follwing code... int main (void) { WINDOW *win1, *win2, *win3; int lines, cols; initscr(); if(has_colors()) start_color(); getmaxyx(stdscr, lines, cols); win1 = newwin(lines, cols, 0, 0); win2 = subwin(win1, 1, cols, lines -2, 0 ); box(win2, ...

Wikibooks Programming:Ada:Installing
<ver�ffentlicht & per Mail versendet> Hello, I added the Platforms I know of: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Installing Anybody more? Especially Debian is missing! With Regards Martin -- mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net http://www.ada.krischik.com Martin Krischik wrote: > I added the Platforms I know of: > > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Installing > > Anybody more? Especially Debian is missing! Not any more. :-) But it would be popular if somebody would add MacOS X to the list. Jacob (who finally got his iBook today) -...

Ncurses
I have started testing ncurses using example programs from http://www.die.net/doc/linux/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/index.html. Ncurses works well and I expect to start using it a lot. The examples ,when run, indicate that not all attributes work on the default OpenBSD console. Mouse functions don't work at the moment but I remember reading about a setting required to make the mouse work in console mode. Dave Feustel -- http://www.iceagenow.com - Proof that Global Warming is a SCAM http://republicBroadcasting.org - REAL News The Mass Media won't cover dave &l...

ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.5
http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm The current version provides implementations of smart pointers, sets, maps, stacks, tables, string editing, unbounded arrays, expression analyzers, lock-free data structures, synchronization primitives (events, race condition free pulse events, arrays of events, reentrant mutexes, deadlock-free arrays of mutexes), pseudo-random non-repeating numbers, symmetric encoding and decoding, IEEE 754 representations support; strings editing and tables management. Changes to the previous version: Minor bug fixes in example test_ada_parser.adb fixed and ...

Web browser in Ada
There are discussions from time to time, since very long, about writing a Web browser in Ada. The main idea would have a safe browser. Actually today's issues about security in Web browsers remarkably seem of the same kind as ten years ago, just a bit more frequent and acute. Did someone give a try ? I guess the following libraries would be considered: - AWS, for the HTTP requests - GtKAda, for a portable GUI - the least possible bindings and the most possible Ada code for decoding images and other contents _________________________________________________________ Gautier's...

The Ada Way programming contest now accepts submissions #2
Ada-Europe's first Annual Student Programming Contest "The Ada Way" is now accepting submissions. Last September, Ada-Europe[1] kicked off its annual student programming contest "The Ada Way"[2]. The challenge for the 2010-2011 competition was to build a software simulator of a football match. The submission of entries has now been opened: they will be accepted through May 15th. The submission shall be made as a single compressed archive of all items listed at the contest web site. Dropbox[3] is used to handle the submission process online. Details are available o...

[ANN] ncurses-ruby-0.9.1
A pure bugfix release of ncurses-ruby is available from http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=273 ncurses-ruby is a ruby-binding for the ncurses library. http://ncurses-ruby.berlios.de/ Changes in this version: - Bugfix in *in*str functions (reported by Hiroshi Sainohira) - Fix linking error on Mac OS X and some other platforms (reported by Andreas Schwarz) Tobias ...

Ada documentation tools.
Hello! I'm looking for a tool that can extract nicely formatted documentation from Ada sources + comments. I'm looking for something that is similar in nature to Doxygen or Javadoc. It should be free and it should work on Windows. I'm aware of AdaDoc, AdaBrowse, and the documentation generator available in GPS. I'm wondering if there are any others I should be looking at or if people have any feelings about which of these various choices is "best." Thanks, Peter Hm, I'm perhaps going to stir up a hornets' nest. I really cannot understand why anyone would l...

ncurses on gnome-terminal
It seems that ncurses occasionally displays bad data on my terminal. The following test program should display a single fixed digit at each location of stdscr, but the data actually displayed is randomly wrong. I'm using gnome-terminal 2.7.3, and libncurses 5.4. These came with CentOS 4.4 I looked for related bugs in both projects without success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Harold ------------- snip ------------------ #include <ncurses.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main (void) { initscr (); // initialize curses ...

Windows Service (ADA)
Hi all, I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before. I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago). I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links. Any pointers in the right direct...

ncurses
Hi, Were can I find the ruby ncurses documentation. Cheers Paul ...

Ada and (SIGTERM?)
Consider program with infinite loop, it simply acts as a server. How to kill it gracefully with housekeeping (finalization etc)? On Aug 5, 12:58=A0pm, Tomek Walkuski <tomek.walku...@gmail.com> wrote: > Consider program with infinite loop, it simply acts as a server. > > How to kill it gracefully with housekeeping (finalization etc)? I suppose "gracefully" precludes pulling the computer's plug out of the wall? If I understand, by the subject line, that this program is running on some Unix-like system and you'd like the program to respond to a signal and term...

ncurses
Does anyone have experience with ncurses development ? I would like to just open a simple window with it for now. The functions look like casts to me. I maybe confucing something. Bill ...

Press Release
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FINAL Call for Participation *** UPDATED Program Summary *** 12th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe 2007 25 - 29 June 2007, Geneva, Switzerland http://www.ada-europe.org/conference2007.html *** Final Program available on conference web site. *** *** Check out the tutorial program! *** *** Printed proceedings available. *** ...

Filenames in Ada
Hello I was just starting to write a little demo program for Ada.Directories. Aim was the generation of m3u files for music collection. Allways nice to have a demo which actually does something. However, filenames in music collections contain all sort of funny characters (especially the my wife's music - allmost entirely in Cyrillic) - no big deal for modern file systems. But a big deal for Ada as it seams. Not only are all filenames in Ada.Directories of type String - actually all filenames anywhere are just String. How does one deal with modern (utf-8) filenames in Ada? Is there a c...

ncurses newgroup
To which newsgroup should I post Ncurses related questions go ? On goolge I see Ncurses questions everywhere: comp.terminals comp.unix.programmer comp.os.linux.development.apps etc.. My own judgement would place Ncurses in comp.terminals, but there is only little activity. Thus maybe comp.unix.prog is better ? What is the right place to place Ncurses talk ? -- Simon Strandgaard Simon Strandgaard <0bz63fz3m1qt3001@sneakemail.com> wrote: > To which newsgroup should I post Ncurses related questions go ? > On goolge I see Ncurses questions everywhere: > comp.terminals ...

Problem with output using Ada.Text_IO.Put
I am starting to learn ADA and I have installed Adacore gnat 2014. I am using the source codes from M.B. Feldman and E.B. Koffman, Ada 95 Problem Solving and Program Design, 3rd edition. In this respect, there appears to be a problem with Ada.Text_IO.Put and Ada.Integer_Text_IO.Get. The issue is that the text output only appears after the Ada.Integer_Text_IO.Get (Item => Nickels); Please see extract from program: BEGIN -- Coin_Collection -- prompt user for number of nickels and pennies Ada.Text_IO.Put (Item => "How many nickels do you have? "); Ada.Integ...