Re: "out" and "in out"

"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think).

So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined.

In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is undefined upon entering the procedure modify, so when you only write component 2, upon return, only component 2 has been written. Under slight variations, the result of your code might be <garbage character>U<garbage character>.

Another thing: Don't rely upon s1'First = 1. Component 2 might not exist. You could call modify like so:

X: String (25..30);
modify (X);

Now s1(2) inevitably will raise Constraint_Error.
Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist
WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200

0
AdaMagica (30)
7/26/2004 10:54:04 AM
comp.lang.ada 8774 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

"Christoph Karl Walter Grein" <AdaMagica@web.de> wrote:

> In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you
get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is
undefined upon entering the procedure modify, so when you only write
component 2, upon return, only component 2 has been written. Under slight
variations, the result of your code might be <garbage character>U<garbage
character>.

> Another thing: Don't rely upon s1'First = 1. Component 2 might not exist.

While you can't rely on the initial _value_ of the parameter, you _can_ rely
on getting accurate information about it from its attributes.

As Christoph notes, while s1'First may not be 1, s1'First will correctly
reflect the argument's index's first value, similarly for s1'Last and
s1'Length--in this case, 3. And so on for other relevant attributes.

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com

0
mcNOSPAM (258)

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. > > Raj There is a difference I believe that xxxx->yyyy is used if xxxx is a pointer to an object/class and xxxx.yyyyy if xxxx is the object/classs > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. IMHO it's simply convenience. Bye, Marco raj wrote: > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both > operators. The second form involves more typing and requires more effort to read. -- Russell Hanneken eunaarxra@cbobk.pbz Use ROT13 to decode my email address. In message <WOhCc.15115$Wr.8451@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Russell Hanneken <me@privacy.net> writes >raj wrote: >> >> You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

["a", "b", "c", "d"] to "a, b, c, d"?
I want to process each element of an array, but the last element should be handled special. Here is an example: def p_ary(ary) str = "" ary.each do |elem| str << elem << ", " end str.chomp!(", ") str end so p_ary(["a", "f", "x", "test"]) produces "a, f, x, test". The code works, but isn't there an easier and more general way for this behaviour? martinus On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:23:22 -0700, Martin wrote: > I want to process each element of an array, but the last ele...

RE: Codig style: " or """
Try PEP 8, Guido's Style Guide: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html Good luck with your boss! *gina* -----Original Message----- From: Sara Khalatbari [mailto:sarapythonlist@yahoo.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:13 AM To: Python List Subject: Codig style: " or """ Hi! Suppose you're writing a module & writing the definition of each function in that module in " or """. for example: a) "This function does this & that" or: b) """This function does blah blah blah""" What are the di...

Re: "NullPointerException" from "initialize()"
Hi Boldoo, I see no apparent reason why you would get a NullPointerException. Perhaps the cause of the exception is further down the stack trace? Do you have a complete test case? It is a little odd that you are sending data during initialize() though. Can you use the regular Ptolemy Parameter facility? Ptolemy II 6.0.2 includes Publish and Subscribe actors which might help you here. _Christopher -------- Hi hackers, I'm trying to make an (composite) actor that contains a variable "nextEventNode". This variable must get its initial...

"re" vs "sre"?
I learned about Python regular expressions from the Web documentation <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html>. This describes a module named "re". Then I saw some code written by a colleague, and he was using a module named "sre". I checked my Python 2.4.3 installation, and sure enough, I have a module named "sre" as well as "re". Curious, I fired up an interactive Python session, and looked to see what the docstrings were for these modules. And for the "re" module, the help says: re - Minimal "re" compatibility wrapper. See...

Re: Is "space" and "missing" same?
For character variables, yes. -----Original Message----- From: Yogesh Kudale [mailto:yogesh.a.kudale@GMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 1:02 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Is "space" and "missing" same? Hello everyone, This is bothering me. I always thought that if you have a space (" ") in a character variable, it does not mean its missing. But I tried the following code and it gave a different result. This is what I did. data a; a =" a"; run; proc freq data=a; tables a; run; /*This showed me one variable in the dataset as expected*/ data b; set a; b=substr(a,1,2); run; /*here i am picking the first two chars which are spaces*/ proc freq data = b; tables b; run; This freq shows me missing value for the b variable. Does that mean SAS treats space and missing as the same? Thanks! Yogesh ------------------------------------------------------------ This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately. Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu...

Re: The "A" word (was RE: Any comments (The "A" Word ...)...)
"Chuck Stevens" <charles.stevens@unisys.com> wrote in message news:... > "LX-i" <lxi0007@netscape.net> wrote in message >> Did you read the Kathleen Parker article I linked? "Sometimes an >> accident is just an accident." > > Not at the time; looked for it, couldn't track it down via a Google search > of your messages with the keyword "Parker". Believe I found it: "Million dollar fetus". My take on this is based on Step 9: "Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to...

Definition of "shall", "should", "must", etc.
Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms like "shall" and "should" and "must"? I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. Your thoughts... "C. J. Clegg" <reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> wrote in message news:jbsbh19g228ne84213f8kh0uvccj5ie6sg@4ax.com... > > Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms > like "shall" and "should" and "must"? > > I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / > "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. > When in doubt, place an explicit statement that serves to indicate the interpretation that will be used (make certain it is not inconsistent with the customers rules and regulations) > Your thoughts... C. J. Clegg wrote: > Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms > like "shall" and "should" and "must"? > > I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / > "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. > > Your thoughts... oh ...the beauty of google and having worked in telecomms where this knowledge is an (unfortunate) must (no pun intended) http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section...

if("0X0"=="000"){echo "boo";}
Hi ;) Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. fabrice. Fabrice R=E9gnier wrote: > Hi ;) > > Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you > believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. > > fabrice. That's because they are equal! PHP interprets the string "0X0" as zero in Hexidecimal and that is equal to 0. What are you trying to accomplish? Ken Fabrice R?gnier <regnier.fab@free.fr> wrote: > Everything is in the title. the pr...

Web resources about - Re: "out" and "in out" - comp.lang.ada