DPMI application stack

Of the four stacks maintained during a DPMI session, the `application
stack' is advertised as the one the client is on upon entering Protected
Mode. Is this the same stack the client was on just prior to the mode-
switch? If not (i.e., the host switches the client to the application
stack once Pmode begins), does this necessitate the client saving its
real-mode SS:SP for re-entry to real mode?

0
Scott
1/20/2006 5:11:35 PM
comp.lang.asm.x86 5033 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 1/20/2006 12:11 PM, Scott J. McCaughrin wrote:
> Of the four stacks maintained during a DPMI session, the `application
> stack' is advertised as the one the client is on upon entering Protected
> Mode. Is this the same stack the client was on just prior to the mode-
> switch? If not (i.e., the host switches the client to the application
> stack once Pmode begins), does this necessitate the client saving its
> real-mode SS:SP for re-entry to real mode?

The stack upon entry to PM is the same as the one the client was on previously.

See the DPMI 1.0 spec, March 12, 1991, p. 22 "Client Initialization".  Upon
entry to PM, SS is a selector with base of the real mode SS and a 64KB limit.

Bob Smith -- bsmith@sudleydeplacespam.com
a.k.a.	     bsmith@dequalitasspam.com

To reply to me directly, delete "despam".

0
Bob