Intel Thermal sensor

Hello folks, it's me again.
I need to gain acces to any thermal sensor that my CPU can provide to
me. Now:
1. I'm a veeery veeery beginner programmer;
2. I've got only some fair knowledge on how CPU's system registers
works.
3. My English is bad and full of mistakes.

Somewhere I've read that an Intel's CPU can have one, two, or maybe
more thermal sensor: what I need is to learn how to query the CPU for
retrieve any information about thermal state of her.
All of this because I'll like to monitor CPU's temperature.
Let me summarize:
1. Supposing that we have an Intel-like CPU that support CPUID
instruction,
2. Supposing that we have one thermal sensor shipped in the PC,
3. Supposing that I know only a few ASM's instructions:
How can I retrieve infos about CPU's temperature having only a bunch
of Intel's manuals and an old Pentium3-based computer?
Saludos amigos!

0
Ne_Propheta
6/17/2008 9:09:27 AM
comp.lang.asm.x86 4917 articles. 11 followers. Post Follow

Ne_Propheta told us:

> I need to gain acces to any thermal sensor that my CPU can provide to
> me. Now:
> 1. I'm a veeery veeery beginner programmer;
> 2. I've got only some fair knowledge on how CPU's system registers
> works.
> 3. My English is bad and full of mistakes.

I think this NG have more natitive non-US-english speaking
folks than any US-court may ever have counted.

I'm guilty on that one for sure :)
 my native language is Viennese {aka: Meidlinger Fat 'L' speach}
(anyway an indo-german-dialect is totally far away from German)

> Somewhere I've read that an Intel's CPU can have one, two, or maybe
> more thermal sensor: what I need is to learn how to query the CPU for
> retrieve any information about thermal state of her.
> All of this because I'll like to monitor CPU's temperature.

It's not the CPU which sensors the evironment temperature,
a CPU can only tell that "it's hot in here" and so reduce the
chipset's congfiguration main clock rate for a certain time period.

If this wont help within time then a CPU would either shutdown
or switch itself into a low power idle/sleep mode.

<quote>
> Let me summarize:
> 1. Supposing that we have an Intel-like CPU that support CPUID
> instruction,
> 2. Supposing that we have one thermal sensor shipped in the PC,
> 3. Supposing that I know only a few ASM's instructions:
</>

The CPU will give a fart on your attempt to override thermal limits
even it may slow down if you don't 'clean up the fans' regularely.
I do this every three month, and for sure not just in case ...

<quote>
As long you assumtions fit reality, the above may work...
</>
> How can I retrieve infos about CPU's temperature having only a bunch
> of Intel's manuals and an old Pentium3-based computer?
> Saludos amigos!

In return: my kind and respectful Salutes to all Friends of Logic :)

Not all CPU-BIOS-functions may show the current environment temperature.
Most BIOS just let us die as stupid as we came  ... :)
Older BIOS/CPUs may not even aware of the environment temerature...

In rare (CPU+HW-dependant) environments we can get this info,
but it depends on the ability (if at all friendly and open)
on the BIOS to even see what's going on behind our neck.

__
wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
6/17/2008 9:30:22 PM
So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
results?
Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
for fun? :)
Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
'morning,
Ne_Prpht

0
Ne_Propheta
6/19/2008 8:39:22 AM
I think the CPU heat sensor is on the CPU sub-board under the CPU;
there's something there that sticks up at an angle to be "springy" and
touch the chip. If that is what it is and this this fires then the
local clocking circuitry which is is that area might very well will
bring the clock speed down.
I strongly doubt there a control from the CPU, but there might be an
input signal line that the cpu checks as part of th diagnostic (all
guessing).

0
Terence
6/19/2008 10:58:29 AM
In article <9688f369-2135-4a7f-9112-dc3660827782
@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, spamtrap@crayne.org says...
> So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
> issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
> results?
> Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
> for fun? :)
> Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
> 'morning,
> Ne_Prpht

The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
some relevant information.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Jerry
6/19/2008 6:32:39 PM
On Jun 19, 8:32�pm, Jerry Coffin  <spamt...@crayne.org> wrote:
> In article <9688f369-2135-4a7f-9112-dc3660827782
> @t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, spamt...@crayne.org says...
>
> > So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
> > issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
> > results?
> > Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
> > for fun? :)
> > Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
> > 'morning,
> > Ne_Prpht
>
> The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
> bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
> some relevant information.
>
> --
> � � Later,
> � � Jerry.
>
> The universe is a figment of its own imagination.

Ok, I'll try.
Thanks!

0
Ne_Propheta
6/20/2008 1:24:20 PM
On 19 Jun., 20:32, Jerry Coffin  <spamt...@crayne.org> wrote:
> The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
> bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
> some relevant information.

But how many different Winbond-Monitoring IC exist?

For my Epox 8k3A+(KT333) i use the W83783S Data Sheet(w83783s.pdf).

Dirk

0
Dirk

INTEL
Intel=AE 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel=AE 82845G/ 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) new update visit: http://intel124.blogspot.com ...

OT: Intel quad core X64 benchmarked
With the dual core Montecito finally about to appear, it seems that quad-core X64 Intel samples are out and about. There's a benchmark at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1527913 if you haven't yet seen it. -- Alan Greig Alan Greig wrote: > > With the dual core Montecito finally about to appear, it seems that > quad-core X64 Intel samples are out and about. There's a benchmark at > http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1527913 if you > haven't yet seen it. This will certaintly give the 8086 at the very least an image of b...

T3-400MHz Intel XScale
Hi Guys, I know that Palm o/s is considerable faster than a pocket pc, given the same processor speed. Does that also apply to the T3 with the 400MHz Intel XScale? Would it be faster than say, an Ipaq with the 400MHz Intel XScale? Thanks, I am trying to make a decision. GP GP <spamtrap@sympatico.ca> wrote: > Hi Guys, > I know that Palm o/s is considerable faster than a pocket pc, given > the same processor speed. Does that also apply to the T3 with the > 400MHz Intel XScale? Would it be faster than say, an Ipaq with the > 400MHz Intel XScale? Thanks, ...

Are there any intel-powered HP calculators?

Rather, E. D., "Fifteen Programmers, 400 Computers, 36,000 Sensors, and FORTH,"
[RAT85] Rather, E. D., "Fifteen Programmers, 400 Computers, 36,000 Sensors, and FORTH," Proceedings of the 1985 Rochester Forth Conference, published in The Journal of Forth Application and Research 3:2 (1985), pp. 47-73 Does anyone have a copy of this essay? It sounds very interesting. Thanks Mark. ...

Assembly Evolution Part 1: Accessing Memory and the strange case of the Intel 4004
http://blog.julien-oster.de/2011/10/assembly-evolution-part-1-accessing.html Quoting from the URL above: While it has become far less relevant for non-system developers to write assembly than it was a few decades ago, by now CPUs have nevertheless made it much more comfortable to do so. Today we are used to a lot of things: fancy indirect addressing modes with scale, a galore of general purpose registers instead of an accumulator and maybe one or two crippled index registers, condition codes for nearly every instruction (on ARM)... But also the basics the...

Intel Inside no more
The new phrase is "Leap Ahead". Inside Intel http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_02/b3966001.htm Eric Kim is proposing getting rid of the Pentium name, and getting rid of the "Intel Inside" tagline, replaced with the "Leap Ahead". > The reason? Kim's plan, cooked up with new CEO Paul S. Otellini, was a sharp departure from the company Grove had built. Essentially, they were proposing to blow up Intel's brand, the fifth-best-known in the world. As Otellini looked on from a front table, Kim declared that Intel must "clear out the cob...

Intel and Microsoft --- how best friends became frenemies

Intel prepares to kill off the Pentium 4
Intel prepares to kill off the Pentium 4 http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37335 Neil Rieck Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/cool_openvms.html Neil Rieck wrote: > Intel prepares to kill off the Pentium 4 > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37335 That is like GM saying , while introducing the 2007 models, that the 2006 models will no longer be available. Intel recently introduced a new generation of 8086s wich is quite competitive with AMD's offerings, so it is no surprise that the older models w...

Intel redesigns Laptop as Portable fashion accessory
reghardware.co.uk Reports that Intel redesigns Laptop as Portable fashion accessory. Read Full Details http://laptop4you.blogspot.com/2007/04/intel-redesigns-laptop-as-portable.html "kaash" <kashifraza.tbm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1176983184.563526.19100@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > reghardware.co.uk Reports that Intel redesigns Laptop as Portable > fashion accessory. > Read Full Details > http://laptop4you.blogspot.com/2007/04/intel-redesigns-laptop-as-portable.html Interesting, but where does the lipstick and all the other female paraphernalia g...

What motherboards are based on Intel 915 and Intel 945 chipsets
Which current motherboards are based on Intel 915 and Intel 945 chipsets? I am not that familiar with Intel series boards - what do these ones have over the the more recent 8xx series chipsets? The board must have at least 5 PCI slots as I will be needing 4 of them straight away for building a DVR system using bt878 based adapters. The 915 and 945 are the boards recommended by the vendor of the adapters, however I am looking for something moderately priced and I am hoping that boards of this type are not too expensive. I'd also like to know what type of CPU chips go with ...

Re: apple on intel
Christopher Browne kindly responded to my provocation thus: [AS] > > It seems Apple is planning to switch from PPC to Intel > > > > http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,67767,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3 > > http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1477 > > > > So that should simplify the problem of getting poplog running on a Mac > > in all its glory including full graphics. > [CB] > Why would you imagine that this would change the ease/difficulty of > running poplog on a Mac? > > Darwin/IA-32 won't be materially different from Da...

Intel
Remember me? I am yo soy Intel I am yo soy Intel Intel Este mensage es para recordarme. Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel I...

MEX out of memory (using Intel Fortran)
Hi, I have created a MEX file using Intel Fortran. It did compile without errors. Unfortunately, I am not able to run it, I get Matlab error message : ??? Error using ==> tmcpap Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options. I have checked different possibilities and cannot figure out a reason for the error. I would appreciate any hints. Here is my mexFunction: subroutine mexFunction(nlhs, plhs, nrhs, prhs) integer*8 plhs(*), prhs(*) integer*8 mxGetPr, mxCreateDoubleMatrix C %%%% input pointers integer*8 r_pr,rat_pr,wavlen_pr,mrr_pr,mri_pr integer*8 np_pr,asp_pr,var_pr,thetai...

Intel
What effect will Apple's move to Intel chips have on current Mac models? Do all current Mac users own dinosaurs without a future? In article <waderameyxiii-6136F5.22361509062005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, The World Wide Wade <waderameyxiii@comcast.remove13.net> wrote: > What effect will Apple's move to Intel chips have on current Mac > models? Do all current Mac users own dinosaurs without a future? I doubt it. -- "No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have pulled down the stars to our will." - Ezra Pound, poet and ...

intel computer
intel computer intel soft ware for details http://natureexpirs.blogspot.com/ http://friendfinder.com/go/g1022414 http://amigos.com/go/g1022414 ...

intel fortran error message
I was compiling using intel fortran 8.0 for linux with the "-check all" option. After running my code, I got a runtime error: forrtl: info: Fortran error message number is 408. I could not find in the user guide what kind of error it is. Anybody here knows what is error number 408 ? Thank you in advance. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:47:05 +0100, flubie <fluberman72@wanadoo.nl> wrote: >I was compiling using intel fortran 8.0 for linux with the "-check all" >option. >After running my code, I got a runtime error: > >forrtl: info: Fortran error message n...

off-topic: help finding intel cpu
Hi All, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I never really keep up with hardware that well, I'm more a software tinkerer. Currently I've got CPU envy, seem all the cool people out there are able to experiment with hardware virtualization whilst I'm stuck in the dark ages with emulation. So I'm looking for some help sourcing a replacement CPU. So at the moment I've got a Gigabyte 945PL-S3P motherboard, the CPU slot is Socket 775, but I've not been able to find any P4 CPU's on the normal sites in the UK. Would anyone know what I can get to replace my current P4 3.4GH wit...

Which is better: Intel 852GM or Intel GMA 900
I want to buy a laptop. I'm todn between two models. One comes with a DVD writer and one comes with a read only. The only difference (as far as I can see) is the graphics card. One has a Intel 852GM and the other has a Intel GMA 900. Erm... I've tried reading up on both... but am lost. : ( Both seem to be good. The laptops I'm considering are: http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/TOSAT178 and http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/TOSAT159 Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. OM If you intend to play any reasonably serious games then neither card is a good choice. Conver...

Intel D850GB bios #2
I have a computer that I just put a new hard drive into with fresh install of Win XP home. It's an Intel board and the start up always paused after the messages that it's detected a keyboard and mouse and usb. Then it pauses and just says press F1 to continue. Pressing F1 makes it continue to start up normally. I have reset the Bios values to defaults and tried to change several of them, with not effect at all. If I unplug the keyboard it sometimes skips the F1 pause. Any ideas on how I could make it just start up without me pressing F1? Jeff ...

About Intel Celeron, Intel Centrino, Intel Pentium Mobile and Intel Pentium
Hello! I'm from spain, so sorry about my english. I'm going to buy a desktop computer (I din't know if it is said DESKTOP o MOBILE COMPUTER). I don't what kind of Intel I should buy. The new powerful Intel Centrino has only 1'4 Ghz whereas the Pentium 4 has 3'06 Ghz. What kind of pentium do you recommend me to buy? I will use the desktop for Photoshop. Looking forward to yous answer! Thank's and what is the differences betwen those Intel? Celeron, Pentium IV, Pentium III Mobile, Centrino "Chusqui22" <chusqui22BORRAESTO@iespana.es> esc...

Intel stop supporting Intel CPUs on Intel boards
Just in case someone else might fall into this trap.. Even though Intel are no longer making desktop boards, if you have one of their existing LGA 1150 / Series 8 boards and are (reasonably) expecting that it will work with any Intel socket 1150 CPU.. Intel have decided to not include microcode updates for any newer Haswell processors launched since April 2014 in their future BIOS updates for their boards, even though the processor and chipsets are compatible. "http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034790.htm?wapkw=desktop+board+haswell+refresh" So you m...

Nexus sensor Intake-3 ? where is this located
Anyone knows where sensor "Intake-3" is located on a Nexus 5010 sh environment temperature Temperature ----------------------------------------------------------------- Module Sensor MajorThresh MinorThres CurTemp Status (Celsius) (Celsius) (Celsius) ----------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Outlet-1 60 50 31 ok 1 Outlet-2 60 50 31 ok 1 Intake-1 60 50 21 ok...

Looking for good source of information on Intel internal floating-point representations.
I am looking for a good reference which will allow me to understand the issues involved with the precision of Intel floating-point calculations. The main focus is the fact that Intel uses an internal representation with more bits than the value will have when stored. The questions I want to be able to answer via the reference include: 1. How/when does the representation change when I load a value from memory into an x87 register, do a calculation on it, move it to another register, store it back to memory. 2. The same as (1), but using the xmm (SSE) registers to do computations w...

[News] AMD-Intel Antitrust Rebuttal; Intel to Enter GPU Market?
Court allows Intel to subpoena ATI ,----[ Quote ] | The court presiding over the AMD antitrust case against Intel has given | it permission to subpoena ATI. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33718 (Comment: Intel was said to pull the same dirty practices as Microsoft, at least in Germany. OEM's were secretly discouraged from stocking AMD.) Also today: Watch out NVIDIA, AMD. Here comes Intel. ,----[ Quote ] | If Intel has their way, it seems as though they will be making a return | to the world of Computer Graphics. Did AMD predict this and consequently | make an ...