Intel Thermal sensor

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello folks, it's me again.
I need to gain acces to any thermal sensor that my CPU can provide to
me. Now:
1. I'm a veeery veeery beginner programmer;
2. I've got only some fair knowledge on how CPU's system registers
works.
3. My English is bad and full of mistakes.

Somewhere I've read that an Intel's CPU can have one, two, or maybe
more thermal sensor: what I need is to learn how to query the CPU for
retrieve any information about thermal state of her.
All of this because I'll like to monitor CPU's temperature.
Let me summarize:
1. Supposing that we have an Intel-like CPU that support CPUID
instruction,
2. Supposing that we have one thermal sensor shipped in the PC,
3. Supposing that I know only a few ASM's instructions:
How can I retrieve infos about CPU's temperature having only a bunch
of Intel's manuals and an old Pentium3-based computer?
Saludos amigos!

0
Reply Ne_Propheta 6/17/2008 9:09:27 AM

See related articles to this posting

Ne_Propheta told us:

> I need to gain acces to any thermal sensor that my CPU can provide to
> me. Now:
> 1. I'm a veeery veeery beginner programmer;
> 2. I've got only some fair knowledge on how CPU's system registers
> works.
> 3. My English is bad and full of mistakes.

I think this NG have more natitive non-US-english speaking
folks than any US-court may ever have counted.

I'm guilty on that one for sure :)
 my native language is Viennese {aka: Meidlinger Fat 'L' speach}
(anyway an indo-german-dialect is totally far away from German)

> Somewhere I've read that an Intel's CPU can have one, two, or maybe
> more thermal sensor: what I need is to learn how to query the CPU for
> retrieve any information about thermal state of her.
> All of this because I'll like to monitor CPU's temperature.

It's not the CPU which sensors the evironment temperature,
a CPU can only tell that "it's hot in here" and so reduce the
chipset's congfiguration main clock rate for a certain time period.

If this wont help within time then a CPU would either shutdown
or switch itself into a low power idle/sleep mode.

<quote>
> Let me summarize:
> 1. Supposing that we have an Intel-like CPU that support CPUID
> instruction,
> 2. Supposing that we have one thermal sensor shipped in the PC,
> 3. Supposing that I know only a few ASM's instructions:
</>

The CPU will give a fart on your attempt to override thermal limits
even it may slow down if you don't 'clean up the fans' regularely.
I do this every three month, and for sure not just in case ...

<quote>
As long you assumtions fit reality, the above may work...
</>
> How can I retrieve infos about CPU's temperature having only a bunch
> of Intel's manuals and an old Pentium3-based computer?
> Saludos amigos!

In return: my kind and respectful Salutes to all Friends of Logic :)

Not all CPU-BIOS-functions may show the current environment temperature.
Most BIOS just let us die as stupid as we came  ... :)
Older BIOS/CPUs may not even aware of the environment temerature...

In rare (CPU+HW-dependant) environments we can get this info,
but it depends on the ability (if at all friendly and open)
on the BIOS to even see what's going on behind our neck.

__
wolfgang

0
Reply Wolfgang 6/17/2008 9:30:22 PM

So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
results?
Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
for fun? :)
Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
'morning,
Ne_Prpht

0
Reply Ne_Propheta 6/19/2008 8:39:22 AM

I think the CPU heat sensor is on the CPU sub-board under the CPU;
there's something there that sticks up at an angle to be "springy" and
touch the chip. If that is what it is and this this fires then the
local clocking circuitry which is is that area might very well will
bring the clock speed down.
I strongly doubt there a control from the CPU, but there might be an
input signal line that the cpu checks as part of th diagnostic (all
guessing).

0
Reply Terence 6/19/2008 10:58:29 AM

In article <9688f369-2135-4a7f-9112-dc3660827782
@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, spamtrap@crayne.org says...
> So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
> issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
> results?
> Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
> for fun? :)
> Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
> 'morning,
> Ne_Prpht

The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
some relevant information.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Reply Jerry 6/19/2008 6:32:39 PM

On Jun 19, 8:32�pm, Jerry Coffin  <spamt...@crayne.org> wrote:
> In article <9688f369-2135-4a7f-9112-dc3660827782
> @t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, spamt...@crayne.org says...
>
> > So we have to gain access to something like BIOS service directory,
> > issuing a specifically designed interrupt to him and watch the
> > results?
> > Can't we access some CPU registers scrambling the whole system just
> > for fun? :)
> > Jokes apart, thermal informations are keeped somewhere into the RAM?
> > 'morning,
> > Ne_Prpht
>
> The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
> bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
> some relevant information.
>
> --
> � � Later,
> � � Jerry.
>
> The universe is a figment of its own imagination.

Ok, I'll try.
Thanks!

0
Reply Ne_Propheta 6/20/2008 1:24:20 PM

On 19 Jun., 20:32, Jerry Coffin  <spamt...@crayne.org> wrote:
> The thermal sensors are normally accessed through the system management
> bus (SMBus), not as CPU registers. Searching for SMBus might get you
> some relevant information.

But how many different Winbond-Monitoring IC exist?

For my Epox 8k3A+(KT333) i use the W83783S Data Sheet(w83783s.pdf).

Dirk

0
Reply Dirk 6/23/2008 6:29:58 AM
comp.lang.asm.x86 4865 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Devantech Thermal Sensor
Does anybody know what the part number of the thermal sensor component used in the Devantech TPA81 sensor is? I want to integrate a sensor of that type into a new robot but I don't really like the form factor or i2c interface of the TPA81. thanks, -chris ...

P4 thermal sensors problem
Hello, I am not certain if I have a problem with thermal sensors on CPU which is P4 HT on 3GHz (Northwood) on motherboard (which is Abit IC7). Sometimes, regardless of where I read temperature data from (BIOS, software in Windows or Linux), temperature is 0 degrees. And curious, when I remove the heatsink and put it together, turn machine on and temperature is measured 50 degrees again (which was always normal operating temperature when CPU is not heavily loaded). Next time when I switch machine on temperature is indicated 0 degrees again ! What is the problem ? Thanks, Tomislav To...

thermal sensor on video card
I see bits and pieces on google about ATI having a thermal sensor on some of its graphics cards - anyone familiar with that? Know how to read it? I had some trouble with an ATI X600 where the heat sink wasnt sitting as flat on the gpu as it should have been causing the card's gpu to overheat after awhile. I'd like to write a little monitor daemon to let me track it for awhile (I think i've fixed it...) Thanks Eric ...

Intel thermal density up again with 65nm shrink
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=21798100 Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in news:0MydnWety8pYYM_eRVn- oA@rogers.com: > http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=21798100 Tom's power measurements are for full system power, not just CPU - so implying that the 17% decrease in system power means thermal density has increased is misleading at best. I think it's more interesting to look at the increase in power between idle and full load. For Cedar Mill this is 55W, and for Prescott 86W. So that's about a 36% decrease in active power for a 3...

Configuring hardware sensors on an Intel D865PERL motherboard
I'm running a custom (ck7 + evms patch) 2.6.14.4 kernel under Ubuntu Breezy. I want the sensors-applet to indicate what temperature my CPU is running at, since it's prone to overheating (I think). How can I get that information? Do I have to enable some kind of module? I'm willing to recompile the kernel, if I must. Thanks. C Chris Rose wrote: > I'm running a custom (ck7 + evms patch) 2.6.14.4 kernel under Ubuntu > Breezy. I want the sensors-applet to indicate what temperature my CPU > is running at, since it's prone to overheating (I think). How can...

How long does a thermal paste/grease last for Intel P3 CPUs?
Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)). I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at nigh...

Anyone have "El Cheapo thermal sensor" schematics+code?
I was wanting to look back at Mark Johnson's old SPARCstation audio port solution for a cheap thermal sensor and i can only find his posting to the Sun-Manager's list from 1993 (http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1993/1566.html). That message generates a corrupted UU-coded file ("invalid character 0xa on line N"). (i've tried various ways of retrieving (netscape, lynx-dump, cut/paste) to ensure it's not netscape corrupting it) I've tried "fixing" it by added trailing spaces to the short lines, but the resultant TAR archive is corrupted then, even thou...

Max detection distance of a human body using thermal imaging sensor???
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C3E5F1.CE026B90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I was wondering if anyone knows what that maximum distance is that you = can detect a human body using thermal imaging technology. I know the = pixel count makes a big difference. Those steady cams on police = helicopters seem pretty good at long range. --=20 Shawn ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C3E5F1.CE026B90 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Enc...

Intel's 65nm Cedar Mill processor to have 65W thermal envelope
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050314A7040.html Judd wrote: > http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050314A7040.html So Cedar Mill is the codename for the Prescott at 65nm? They said that the power consumption of the dual-core Presler, which I assume is a dual-core Cedar Mill will be 130W. That works out perfectly because that would mean two cores are exactly twice the power of one core (65W x 2 = 130W). So they probably won't be trying to run the dual-cores slower than the single-cores. It seems as if they still haven't got a real dual-core yet, it's just two processor...

Do Boxed Intel CPUs come with heat sink compound/thermal grease, etc?
It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink compound/thermal grease as well. Perce "Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message news:ldea3s$j62$1@dont-email.me... > It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and > mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink > compound/thermal grease as well. > > Perce Yes, boxed Intel CPUs packaged with fan/heatsinks have thermal g...

About Intel Celeron, Intel Centrino, Intel Pentium Mobile and Intel Pentium
Hello! I'm from spain, so sorry about my english. I'm going to buy a desktop computer (I din't know if it is said DESKTOP o MOBILE COMPUTER). I don't what kind of Intel I should buy. The new powerful Intel Centrino has only 1'4 Ghz whereas the Pentium 4 has 3'06 Ghz. What kind of pentium do you recommend me to buy? I will use the desktop for Photoshop. Looking forward to yous answer! Thank's and what is the differences betwen those Intel? Celeron, Pentium IV, Pentium III Mobile, Centrino "Chusqui22" <chusqui22BORRAESTO@iespana.es> esc...

Intel stop supporting Intel CPUs on Intel boards
Just in case someone else might fall into this trap.. Even though Intel are no longer making desktop boards, if you have one of their existing LGA 1150 / Series 8 boards and are (reasonably) expecting that it will work with any Intel socket 1150 CPU.. Intel have decided to not include microcode updates for any newer Haswell processors launched since April 2014 in their future BIOS updates for their boards, even though the processor and chipsets are compatible. "http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034790.htm?wapkw=desktop+board+haswell+refresh" So you m...

MacMini Intel or MacBookPro Intel ?
Is there a definitive reason to prefer one or the other ? Thanks, -JG In article <wissme-C60873.08530920062006@nnrp12-2.proxad.net>, Jean Guillaume Pyraksos <wissme@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a definitive reason to prefer one or the other ? > Thanks, Mini's much cheaper but less portable if you don't know there's going to be a keyboard, mouse and display at the destination. More portable if you _do_ know you'll have those. Mini also can't be used in-transit. MacBook _Pro_ (as you mentioned) has a better graphics subsystem than the Mini (or...

INTEL
Intel=AE 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel=AE 82845G/ 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) new update visit: http://intel124.blogspot.com On 04/29/2009 06:13 AM, clicknearn5 sent: > Intel� 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel� 82845G/ > 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) > > new update visit: > > http://intel124.blogspot.com SPAM plonk -- 1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t] ...

INTEL
Intel=AE 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel=AE 82845G/ 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) new update visit: http://intel124.blogspot.com ...

Intel
What effect will Apple's move to Intel chips have on current Mac models? Do all current Mac users own dinosaurs without a future? In article <waderameyxiii-6136F5.22361509062005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, The World Wide Wade <waderameyxiii@comcast.remove13.net> wrote: > What effect will Apple's move to Intel chips have on current Mac > models? Do all current Mac users own dinosaurs without a future? I doubt it. -- "No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have pulled down the stars to our will." - Ezra Pound, poet and ...

Intel
Anyone know when Mac with Intel chips inside will be hitting the shops? And how soon the G4 and G5 will be dumped? And does this mean MS apps will be able to be ported on to Macs? Louis http://dassen.co.uk dassen wrote: > Anyone know when Mac with Intel chips inside will be hitting the shops? > And how soon the G4 and G5 will be dumped? And does this mean MS apps > will be able to be ported on to Macs? > > Louis > http://dassen.co.uk Where have you been? The iMac, Mini, and MacBook Pro all have been released and are for sale with Intel chips. The transition should be fin...

Intel
Remember me? I am yo soy Intel I am yo soy Intel Intel Este mensage es para recordarme. Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel I...

INTEL
Intel=AE 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel=AE 82845G/ 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) new update visit: http://intel124.blogspot.com ...

iNtel
Intel wanted Apple so badly they will change the spelling. You heard it here first. In article <0vh8a15bl6e9hk3n7j2jaacevhetiervgm@4ax.com>, Tom Elam <tom_elam@earthlink.net> wrote: > Intel wanted Apple so badly they will change the spelling. > > You heard it here first. A slow day in troll land. My condolences. -- Sandman[.net] On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:59:22 +0200, Sandman wrote: > In article <0vh8a15bl6e9hk3n7j2jaacevhetiervgm@4ax.com>, > Tom Elam <tom_elam@earthlink.net> wrote: > >> Intel wanted Apple so badly they will change the ...

intel
i just saw on the news that mac`s are now going to have intel chips. no more ppc. does anyone know if amiga will go that way? thank you greg "greg" <gtmode@cyberback.com> wrote in message news:1118051626.943638@news.cyberback.com... > i just saw on the news that mac`s are now going to have intel chips. no more > ppc. does anyone know if amiga will go that way? > thank you greg Amiga is as dead as a doornail. Clockmeister <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote: > > "greg" <gtmode@cyberback.com> wrote in message > news:111...

INTEL
Intel=AE 845G/845GL/845GV Chipset Specification Update: Intel=AE 82845G/ 82845GL/845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) new update visit: http://intel124.blogspot.com ...

Low cost sensors (gas sensors)?
Bit stuck trying to find some low/lower cost gas sensors especially C02. By lower cost for gas sensors I mean sub US$200 if possible. For an existing application we are using the sensata/klixon (exTI) 4GS series but in small quantities are just way to expensive and to large. A C02 sensor with 5 - 12% accuracy would be fine. Need to measure 0 - 2000ppm , 0 - 5000ppm and 0 - 10000ppm. The 4GS when calibrated are 3.75% accurate below 1500ppm. They can do 0 -2000 or 0 -5000. Part of the problem is the low quantity we are using (under 100 of each type per year) and some distributors(quite a l...

measuring the one sensor above and one sensor below
Hi &nbsp; Cn somebody help me in measuring&nbsp;one sensor above and one sensor below and if thy are almost equal must stop. I tried doing so, but i dont knw whr it is going wrong. I hv attached the program with this query. &nbsp; In a large cryogenic storage system,&nbsp; we need to find the level of cryogenic fluids. For ths we a immersed PCB consisting of multiplexers and sensors into the storage system. We need to find the level by passing current to the PCB &amp; measuring voltage at each sensor. We can conform the liquid level by measuring one sensor above and one se...