breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
0
gazelle
8/1/2015 1:22:44 AM
comp.lang.awk 3450 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2015-08-01 3:22, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> Is there someplace online that I can get the source for the programs listed
> in EAP?

You could have a look at:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gawk.git/tree/awklib/eg

Hermann

0
Hermann
8/1/2015 1:01:01 AM
On 01.08.2015 03:22, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> Is there someplace online that I can get the source for the programs listed
> in EAP?
>
> Or do I have to try to OCR them?

The book is available online[*], so I don't think you need OCR. Or is
there missing anything? (Have a look into chapters 10 and 11.)

Or, to extract all (pre-formatted code and data) at once instead of
copy/pasting them individually, extract it from the html source; e.g.

  awk '/<pre/,/<\/pre/{print /<\/?pre/?"":$0}' gawk.html

Janis

[*] https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.html
0
Janis
8/1/2015 6:24:59 AM
In article <mphonr$tfp$1@news.m-online.net>,
Janis Papanagnou  <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 01.08.2015 03:22, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> Is there someplace online that I can get the source for the programs listed
>> in EAP?
>>
>> Or do I have to try to OCR them?
>
>The book is available online[*], so I don't think you need OCR. Or is
>there missing anything? (Have a look into chapters 10 and 11.)
>
>Or, to extract all (pre-formatted code and data) at once instead of
>copy/pasting them individually, extract it from the html source; e.g.
>
>  awk '/<pre/,/<\/pre/{print /<\/?pre/?"":$0}' gawk.html
>

>Janis
>
>[*] https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.html

Thanks for the pointer.  I think I'll be able to dig what I need out of
this.

Still, it would be nice if there was a simple source-code-only download
(Zipped, presumably) for the listings in the book.  I think there is, I
just don't have any idea where it would be...

--
BigBusiness types (aka,
    Republicans/Conservatives/Independents/Liberatarians/whatevers)

0
gazelle
8/1/2015 2:50:35 PM
In article <mpipho$i85$1@news.albasani.net>,
Hermann Peifer  <peifer@gmx.eu> wrote:
>On 2015-08-01 3:22, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> Is there someplace online that I can get the source for the programs listed
>> in EAP?
>>

>You could have a look at:
>http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gawk.git/tree/awklib/eg

Yes, amazingly enough, that seems to be it.

Funny, because I assumed that that collection would be the samples from the
GAWK distribution, not the ones from the book, but, in fact, those two
things turn out to be one and the same.

So, the bottom line is that if you have the unpacked GAWK distribution on
your system (i.e., if you've ever built GAWK from source), then you already
have the programs from the book.  Yey!

--
"If our country is going broke, let it be from
feeding the poor and caring for the elderly.

    --Living Blue in a Red State--

0
gazelle
8/2/2015 3:44:12 PM
El 02/08/2015 a las 17:44, Kenny McCormack escribi�:
> In article <mpipho$i85$1@news.albasani.net>,
> Hermann Peifer  <peifer@gmx.eu> wrote:
>> On 2015-08-01 3:22, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>> Is there someplace online that I can get the source for the programs listed
>>> in EAP?
>>
>> You could have a look at:
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gawk.git/tree/awklib/eg
>
> Yes, amazingly enough, that seems to be it.
>
> Funny, because I assumed that that collection would be the samples from the
> GAWK distribution, not the ones from the book, but, in fact, those two
> things turn out to be one and the same.
>
> So, the bottom line is that if you have the unpacked GAWK distribution on
> your system (i.e., if you've ever built GAWK from source), then you already
> have the programs from the book.  Yey!

The fact is that the gawk build process automagically extracts the code
fragments from the gawk.texi file and creates de awklib/eg directory.

0
Manuel

How to let output from one awk program as input to another awk program?
Dear All, I am wondering how to make output from one awk program as input data to feed another awk program. For example, I have a.awk, b.awk. awk -f a.awk mydata.dat will output to the standard out. I hope to use these generated data as input data to feed b.awk. I hate to save the result from "awk -f a.awk mydata.dat" as a temporary tile "temp.dat" and then awk -f b.awk temp.dat Many thanks. Tom wrote: > I am wondering how to make output from one awk program as input data to > feed another awk program. For example, I have a.awk, b.awk. > > awk -f...

awk: pass a variable to an awk program
Maybe I am asking a stupid question about passing variables to awk programs. I'm trying to retrieve a particular line of a file. The awk program normally is read from a file using the -f option. awk -v name="a particular name" '{ FS=":" } /$name/ { printf("%s %s\n", $1, $2) } ' namefile.txt returns nothing awk -v name="a particular name" '{ FS=":" } /'$name'/ { printf("%s %s\n", $1, $2) } ' namefile.txt returns all lines Howto return a dsingle line containing "a particular name", wh...

M code into programming C code or MATLAB programming code
hallo firends, Can any body help me write this below code into MATLAB object oriented or C code form please? M=50; % total number of periods. (choose for 1s duration) f0 = 50; % fundamental AC frequency T0 = 1/f0; %fundamental AC period T = M*T0; %Time for M periods (integer M) N=30; % sample points per period. dt = T0/N; % Sample at N points per period (integer N > 20) t = dt*[1:M*N-1]; % Sampling time array A0=120/2; % amplitude of AC signal. Divide by 2 or maybe sqrt (2) ? AC=A0*sin(f0*t*2*pi); % create AC signal. DC0=50; % DC amplitude DC=DC0*ones(1,length...

ebay item: Effective Awk Programming
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211546038 ...

"Effective awk programming"
The O'Reilly version of "Effective awk programming" came out in 2001. The version on the GNU website (http://www.gnu.org/manual/gawk) is copyrighted 2004, 2006. So I'm wondering are there important differences between the online version and the printed version ? Does anyone have any idea whether a more recent printed version is planned ? ...

new open source program: awke
Hello netlanders, we from awke.org have developed some extensions for any POSIX compatible awk. The program awke contains: 1. highlighting with different colors, 2. a non recursive quicksort, 3. a fast gawk/gensub replacement, 4. time functions additional to the functionality of the used POSIX compatible awk. As basic awk you can use e.g. mawk, nawk, gawk, etc. It should work on any POSIX compatible OS like Linux, free BSD-variants, Mac OS X, etc. It's still in an experimental state and we need urgently testers and user input. We want to extend awke still further. The ...

Program or be Programmed !
I just started to read Douglas Rushkoff's book "Program or be Programmed" a= nd found some lines which should tell us that it is an important task of us= to educate young people in programming: "Computers and networks finally offer us the ability to write. And we do wr= ite with them on our websites, blogs, and social networks. But the underlyi= ng capability of the computer era is actually programming -- which almost n= one of us knows how to do . We simply use the programs that have been made = for us, and enter our text in the appropriate box on the screen. We t...

Program or be Programmed
http://www.rushkoff.com/program-or-be-programmed/ The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: it's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? ?Choose the former,? writes Rushkoff, ?and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make.? ...

affiliate program program wedding program weight loss program graphic program
Gambling has unfortunately become an acceptable practise in Muslim Society due to its wide scale promotion by the media. A large number of good Muslims are also caught in the web, not realising that they are gambling and that the earnings from the gambling are haraam. The following is a translation of a scholarly article by the late Mufti Muhammad Shafi rahmatullahi alaihe which is being published to make Muslims aware of the different forms of transactions and other items which are classified in Shar'iah as gambling. http://www.geocities.com/avril_lavigne_lot/SpecificPrograms.htm aff...

New site to (Re)Store Your Source Codes and/or programs of vb or other program language!
Check www.virtual-basic.tk, the new site to store your files and where you can show it to others. And 4 FREE! CHECK IT OUT NOW ...

Program files can't be mixed used with program text for awk?
Hi All, It seems that program files can't be used togather with progam text for AWK. Is that true? Have a look at my test: $cat 1.awk function lc(s) { return tolower(s) } $gawk -f 1.awk -- '{print lc($0)}' my.txt Nothing is printed to the screen though my.text is not empty. ------- Best Regards, PRC Aug 27, 2008 PRC wrote: > Hi All, > > It seems that program files can't be used togather with progam text > for AWK. Is that true? Yes. Have a look at the man synopsis... gawk [ POSIX or GNU style options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... gawk [ POSIX or G...

awk version and "The AWK Programming Language" by Aho/Kernighan/Weinberger ca. 1988
What would have been the awk version available at the time "The AWK Programming Language" by Aho/Kernighan/Weinberger [*] was last published in 1988? (the gnu ftp archive appears to stop around 1993). -Bryan [*] ISBN-10: 0-201-07981-X, ISBN-13: 978-0201079814, QA76.73.A95A35 On 03.03.2012 16:54, bryanlepore@gmail.com wrote: > What would have been the awk version available at the time "The AWK > Programming Language" by Aho/Kernighan/Weinberger [*] was last published in > 1988? (the gnu ftp archive appears to stop around 1993). Here's some data that I had col...

new awk code (project management tools, functional programming)
For all updates to awk.info, subscribe to http://tinyurl.com/rss4awk .. To contribute to awk.info, see http://awk.info/?contribute . Recent updates: http://awk.info/?Project - a new section on project management tools. - e.g. module management tools like "runawk" and" awkwords" http://awk.info/?doc/tools/runawk.html - Aleksey Cheusov's "runawk" module manager http://awk.info/?tools/awkwords - a simple system for generating self-documenting code: - Inspired by Perl's "POD" system, but much, much simpler. http://awk.info/?Funky - a new secti...

Effective Awk Programming available for purchase from O'Reilly
I talked with my editor at O'Reilly, and he got the web site fixed; they do indeed have copies for sale of "Effective Awk Programming" 3rd edition. So if anyone wishes to buy the book from them, it's available. I hope to eventually do an update, once there are enough new features in the development version (and they're documented!) to make doing so worthwhile. Thanks to everyone who likes the book and who points new people towards it. I appreciate it. Arnold -- Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com P.O. Box 354 Home Phone: +972 8 979-0381 Nof Ayalon ...

Web resources about - Source code for the programs in Effective Awk Programming - comp.lang.awk

Mercury (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11.07.2 (August 3, 2012 ; 2 months ago ( 2012-08-03 ) ) Mercury is a functional logic programming language geared towards real-world applications. ...

The sheer volume and quality of Netflix’s original programming is unprecedented
... on its laurels, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in an earnings press release that Netflix plans to launch at least 600 hours of original programming ...

Learn any of these 16 programming languages and you'll always have a job
... world," venture capitalist Marc Andreessen famously declared. Someone has to write that software. Why not you? There are thousands of programming ...

Microsoft offers developers free tools for its R programming language software
Microsoft is giving developers and students a free crack at its new server software for the R programming language. [ Want to learn R? Download ...

Pay what you want to learn programming for web, Apple Watch, iOS 9 and more
The world of programming is wide and wild, bristling with enough different languages, platforms and workflows to leave anyone dizzy. These 10 ...

CBS, Sky Enter Major Pan-European Deal For Showtime Programming
Sky Atlantic is to become the exclusive home to Showtime programming in major European markets under a new long-term licensing agreement between ...

Donald Trump gets his own blustery programming language
Have you ever wondered what code would look like if it were dictated by a presidential candidate's grandiose statements rather than such radical ...

Verizon's CFO: Custom TV will 'refresh' to comply with programming contracts
Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said his company will make changes to its FiOS Custom TV product, which granularly controls which programming networks ...

The CW Doesn't Care About Live Views Because The CW Doesn't Have Major Stake In Its Programming
CW president Mark Pedowitz says he doesn't care about live viewership... but it's not for the reasons you think.

New Donald Trump programming language seeks to make programming great again
A team of software engineers at Rice University has introduced a new programming language called TrumpScript. Based on Python, the new language ...