TAWK 5.0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Dear,

I have been using TAWK frequently, it is an absolutely great compiler
which allowed me to create powerful and efficient programs within a
limited amount of time. I am working with version 4.1a (in DOS), but I
never had the opportunity to work with version 5, as Thompson stopped
selling it. I created a program which in itself works fine in 4.1a, but
it needs a lot of memory and processing power. I applied compressing
techniques to minimize the amount of memory needed. I wondered whether
there is a big difference in memory management and speed between
version 4 and 5. If so, I would like to know how I could get my hands
on version 5. As an alternative, I could port the program to Java,
which may make the program faster than TAWK, but that would need a lot
of time and I would like to continue easily updating my program, which
is one of those great features of TAWK.
Any suggestions ?

Kind regards,
Tom Vanallemeersch

0
Reply tallem (1) 12/24/2005 3:24:35 PM

See related articles to this posting

<tallem@pi.be> wrote in message
> there is a big difference in memory management and speed between
> version 4 and 5

Yes. The DOS version of TAWK 4 was built with a 16-bit DOS extender, 5 with
a 32-bit DOS extender.

A program like this (which does nothing useful but test for limits):

BEGIN {

    local i
    local test

    for ( i = 1; i < 1000000; i++ ) {
        test[ "NDX1" ] = ".T."
        test[ "NDX2" ] = ".F."
        if ( !(i/1000) )
                print i
    }
}

fails with an internal TAWK error in V4 somewhere between i=32000 and
i=33000 (perhaps 32768? - I didn't check in more detail). I don't know how
high V5 is willing to go with this test program, as I got bored waiting for
a failure.

Which doesn't mean the limit of a V4 array is 32000+. Using a different
allocation scheme a test program similar to the one above ran until a
"memory full" error. Not sure why it said that, as I expected paging to
occur (and maybe it did, to the small RAM drive the test was running out
of).

I can't tell you how to acquire a copy of V5, though.

Anton Treuenfels

0
Reply Anton 12/28/2005 2:48:26 AM

Does anyone have a copy of TAWK 5.0?

Can you buy a copy somewhere?

Allan
"Anton Treuenfels" <atreuenfels@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> [...]

>         test[ "NDX2" ] = ".F."
>         if ( !(i/1000) )
>                 print i
>     }
> }
>
> fails with an internal TAWK error in V4 somewhere between i=32000 and
> i=33000 (perhaps 32768? - I didn't check in more detail). I don't know how
> high V5 is willing to go with this test program, as I got bored waiting
for
> a failure.
>
> Which doesn't mean the limit of a V4 array is 32000+. Using a different
> allocation scheme a test program similar to the one above ran until a
> "memory full" error. Not sure why it said that, as I expected paging to
> occur (and maybe it did, to the small RAM drive the test was running out
> of).
>
> I can't tell you how to acquire a copy of V5, though.

Tom and Anton
Tawk V5c for Windows uses the disk for really large arrays, hence the limit
appears to be more of patience then hard wired size limits.  Big arrays
causes drive thrashing and things really slow down.  I modified Anton's
program to show how writing to an array slows down as over 5 million
elements
are stored...
I would love to have other Tawk users to chat but sharing or selling the
software appears to be a problem.  I just visited the Thompson Automation
Web page which mentions that Tawk is no longer sold but it appears to me
that they still are protecting their commercial rights for this software.
It would be nice if Thompson Automation could make a clear descision on this
issue ...

Regards
Rex

BEGIN {

    local i
    local test
    starting_time = time()
    for ( i = 1; i < 100000000; i++ ) {
        test[ i ] = "time in seconds " time()-starting_time
        if ( !(i%100000) ) {print "test["i"]="test[i] }
    }
}
c:\u\awk>awkw -f test.awk
test[100000]=time in seconds 1
test[200000]=time in seconds 2
test[300000]=time in seconds 3
test[400000]=time in seconds 4
test[500000]=time in seconds 5
test[600000]=time in seconds 6
test[5100000]=time in seconds 421
test[5200000]=time in seconds 436
test[5300000]=time in seconds 449
test[5400000]=time in seconds 463
test[5500000]=time in seconds 479
test[5600000]=time in seconds 488
test[5700000]=time in seconds 541
test[5800000]=time in seconds 597
awk: program aborted by SIGINT signal
c:\u\awk>

0
Reply trexx 1/9/2006 4:04:43 PM

In article <9pGdnZRlJL6uFF_eRVn-qQ@comcast.com>, trexx <foo@foo.com> wrote:
>I would love to have other Tawk users to chat but sharing or selling the
>software appears to be a problem.  I just visited the Thompson Automation
>Web page which mentions that Tawk is no longer sold but it appears to me
>that they still are protecting their commercial rights for this software.
>It would be nice if Thompson Automation could make a clear descision on this
>issue ...

As most ppl  on this ng know,  I use TAWK daily (under  both Windows and
Unix) and I am always glad to discuss it here.

You  are right  that the  status  of the  software  is in  limbo at  the
moment.  Selling an  existing copy is probably legal and  you might even
find a copy at  a flea market or similar, but,  of course, making copies
is not.   The first step to  rectifying this situation would  be to find
Mr. Thompson and get him to discuss it.  He has posted to this ng in the
(distant) past, but as far as anyone  can tell at the moment, he is lost
somewhere in the wilds of Thailand.

0
Reply gazelle 1/9/2006 4:11:31 PM

"Kenny McCormack" <gazelle@yin.interaccess.com> wrote in message
> In article <9pGdnZRlJL6uFF_eRVn-qQ@comcast.com>, trexx <foo@foo.com>
wrote:
> >I would love to have other Tawk users to chat but sharing or selling the
> >software appears to be a problem.  I just visited the Thompson Automation
> >Web page which mentions that Tawk is no longer sold but it appears to me
> >that they still are protecting their commercial rights for this software.
> >It would be nice if Thompson Automation could make a clear descision on
this
> >issue ...
>
> As most ppl  on this ng know,  I use TAWK daily (under  both Windows and
> Unix) and I am always glad to discuss it here.
>
> You  are right  that the  status  of the  software  is in  limbo at  the
> moment.  Selling an  existing copy is probably legal and  you might even
> find a copy at  a flea market or similar, but,  of course, making copies
> is not.   The first step to  rectifying this situation would  be to find
> Mr. Thompson and get him to discuss it.  He has posted to this ng in the
> (distant) past, but as far as anyone  can tell at the moment, he is lost
> somewhere in the wilds of Thailand.

Yep...I saw some really neat travel pics of Thailand on his web page awhile
back.  It appears that he's moved on to live in the real world.  A lesson
for us all!
Regards
Rex

0
Reply trexx 1/9/2006 8:18:44 PM

"trexx" <foo@foo.com> wrote in message

> "Anton Treuenfels" <atreuenfels@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > BEGIN {
> >
> >     local i
> >     local test
> >
> >     for ( i = 1; i < 1000000; i++ ) {
> >         test[ "NDX1" ] = ".T."
> >         test[ "NDX2" ] = ".F."
> >         if ( !(i/1000) )
> >                 print i
> >     }
> > }

hmm, ya know, looking at this again makes me think I should have put it like
this:

BEGIN {

    local i
     local test

     for ( i = 1; i < 1000000; i++ ) {
         test[ i ][ "NDX1" ] = ".T."
         test[ i ][ "NDX2" ] = ".F."
         if ( !(i/1000) )
                 print i
     }
}

Forces creation of a somewhat larger array, methinks!

The original point still holds. What I was testing for specifically here was
making all the array elements point to the same constant literal strings,
and this fails relatively quickly in TAWK V4.

But because elements of TAWK arrays can be other arrays, it is possible to
allocate like this:

local function makeone() {

    local temp

    temp[ "NDX1" ] = ".T."
    temp[ "NDX2" ] = ".F."

    return( temp )
}

BEGIN {

    local i
    local test

    for ( i = 1; i <= 10^7; i++ ) {
        test[ i ] = makeone()
        if ( !(i/10000) )
            print i
    }
}

This runs until "memory full" in TAWK V4. And I suspect either version runs
as long as anyone cares to watch in V5.

> BEGIN {
>
>     local i
>     local test
>     starting_time = time()
>     for ( i = 1; i < 100000000; i++ ) {
>         test[ i ] = "time in seconds " time()-starting_time
>         if ( !(i%100000) ) {print "test["i"]="test[i] }
>     }
> }
> c:\u\awk>awkw -f test.awk
> test[100000]=time in seconds 1
> test[200000]=time in seconds 2
> test[300000]=time in seconds 3
> test[400000]=time in seconds 4
> test[500000]=time in seconds 5
> test[600000]=time in seconds 6
> test[5100000]=time in seconds 421
> test[5200000]=time in seconds 436
> test[5300000]=time in seconds 449
> test[5400000]=time in seconds 463
> test[5500000]=time in seconds 479
> test[5600000]=time in seconds 488
> test[5700000]=time in seconds 541
> test[5800000]=time in seconds 597
> awk: program aborted by SIGINT signal
> c:\u\awk>

Yes :)

> I would love to have other Tawk users to chat

Fine with me. It'd be nice to ask questions about things that aren't in the
manuals.

F'rinstance:

local function ret_array(this) {

    this[ "ANY_OLD_INDEX" ] = ".T."
}

local function ret_string(this) {

    this = ".T."
}

BEGIN {

    local temp1, temp2

    ret_array( temp1 )
    ret_str( temp2 )
}

Now, "ret_array()" works but "ret_str()" doesn't. Since there is no
initialization of "temp1" or "temp2", I assume they have type
"unintialized". So why am I allowed to implicitly change the type of "temp1"
to "array" within a called function but not that of "temp2" to "string"?

In practice I use functions similar to "ret_array()" quite a bit, returning
actual results in the passed variable and a success or failure boolean value
as the function return value, which I can directly test in a conditional
expression.
Sometimes I'd like to do something similar with a scalar variable, but
because I can't I have to use special values assigned to the returned scalar
to indicate failure (or use a global error variable, I suppose).

Just asking :)

Anton Treuenfels

0
Reply Anton 1/10/2006 2:35:41 AM

In article <14Fwf.7416$M%4.7270@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Anton Treuenfels <atreuenfels@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Now, "ret_array()" works but "ret_str()" doesn't. Since there is no
>initialization of "temp1" or "temp2", I assume they have type
>"unintialized". So why am I allowed to implicitly change the type of "temp1"
>to "array" within a called function but not that of "temp2" to "string"?
>
>In practice I use functions similar to "ret_array()" quite a bit, returning
>actual results in the passed variable and a success or failure boolean value
>as the function return value, which I can directly test in a conditional
>expression.
>Sometimes I'd like to do something similar with a scalar variable, but
>because I can't I have to use special values assigned to the returned scalar
>to indicate failure (or use a global error variable, I suppose).

Are you familiar with "ref" parameters?

0
Reply gazelle 1/10/2006 3:23:10 AM

Dear,

I sent an email to Pat Thompson a while ago through his website
address, and he actually answered me a week ago. He even provided me
with a copy of version 5. He seems to be back from Thailand (by the
way, if you have the opportunity to visit this country, go ahead, it's
a fascinating mix of great culture, food and nature !) I am very happy
to use version 5 now instead of 4, as it doubles the speed at which my
program runs !

Regards,
Tom

Kenny McCormack schreef:

> In article <14Fwf.7416$M%4.7270@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> Anton Treuenfels <atreuenfels@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Now, "ret_array()" works but "ret_str()" doesn't. Since there is no
> >initialization of "temp1" or "temp2", I assume they have type
> >"unintialized". So why am I allowed to implicitly change the type of "temp1"
> >to "array" within a called function but not that of "temp2" to "string"?
> >
> >In practice I use functions similar to "ret_array()" quite a bit, returning
> >actual results in the passed variable and a success or failure boolean value
> >as the function return value, which I can directly test in a conditional
> >expression.
> >Sometimes I'd like to do something similar with a scalar variable, but
> >because I can't I have to use special values assigned to the returned scalar
> >to indicate failure (or use a global error variable, I suppose).
>
> Are you familiar with "ref" parameters?

0
Reply tallem 1/13/2006 10:20:43 PM

In article <1137190843.798851.88840@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <tallem@pi.be> wrote:
>Dear,
>
>I sent an email to Pat Thompson a while ago through his website
>address, and he actually answered me a week ago. He even provided me
>with a copy of version 5. He seems to be back from Thailand (by the
>way, if you have the opportunity to visit this country, go ahead, it's
>a fascinating mix of great culture, food and nature !) I am very happy
>to use version 5 now instead of 4, as it doubles the speed at which my
>program runs !
>
>Regards,
>Tom

Great news!!!  We may get a Linux verison yet.

0
Reply gazelle 1/14/2006 2:40:40 AM
comp.lang.awk 3205 articles. 6 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

looking for TAWK 5.0 manual
Does anyone have a copy of the TAWK 5.0 manual that they would be willing to part with? In article <1189115336.880696.279340@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, <adamss@ascinet.com> wrote: >Does anyone have a copy of the TAWK 5.0 manual that they would be >willing to part with? I have a couple, but don't want to part with them. Maybe we can work out an arrangement for me to make a copy for you? I don't think Mr. T would mind that too much. Thanks. I was hoping to find either a printed manual or an electronic copy somewhere. On Sep 6, 6:22 pm, gaze...@xmission.xm...

TAWK 5.0 WIN User Manual
Hi all; I'm searching for the manuals in subject. Does anyone have a copy for me? If yes, please reply to my e-mail (v.moscarda at gmail.com): I live in Italy and I ould like to pay a reasonable fee for the used manuals. Thank you, -- Genge' ...

Upgrading 5.0.5 to 5.0.6/5.0.7
Hi, I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some questions: 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? 2. How easy is the upgrade? 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Thanks, Jon Jon Wynacht typed (on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:17AM -0700): | Hi, | | I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from | 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some | questions: | | 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? ...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enl...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wa...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site tr...

Licensing question 5.0.4 - 5.0.6
We need to upgrade a backup server from 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 (same as live server). Our supplier told us that a base pack upgrade for 5.0.6 is not available and we would have to have 5.0.7. This version of Sco is not certified compatible with our server. Does anyone know if we can install 5.0.7 licences on 5.0.6? Also it feels like the supplier is telling stories to force us into buying a new server. Does anyone know if 5.0.6 base packs are available? Thanks for your help Regards BB p.s. anonymity preserved to prevent Spam. Bigbyte typed (on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:22:53PM +0100): | We need...

Differences between 5.0.0 and 5.0.1?
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between 5.0 and its point release? I bought 5.0 (student) last fall, and Wolfram wants $100 maintenance fee to get the minor point release upgrade. ...

DynamicTrader RT 5.0, Elwave 8.0 + all modules, NeoTicker RT 4.0, Tradestation 8.2 b3863 + OwnData 2.5, BWT Zones SP 5.0 ( Open Source ) , NeuroShell 5.2 and Add-Ons, Professional Tradeadvisor 5
DynamicTrader RT 5.0, Elwave 8.0 + all modules, NeoTicker RT 4.0, Tradestation 8.2 b3863 + OwnData 2.5, BWT Zones SP 5.0 ( Open Source ) , NeuroShell 5.2 and Add-Ons, Professional Tradeadvisor 5.0, Ensign 2006, MarketDelta eSignal 3.2.1.5, Right Line Traders v 2006, and other FINANCIAL SOFTWARE AND TECHNICAL ANALYSIS SOFTWARE ------------------------------------------------------------------------ FRx Financial Reporter v6.5 for Solomon and Forecaster v6.7 Read . nfo CD NR 14 454 FRx Financial Reporter v6.5 for Great Plains and Forecaster ...

5.0.5: uname -a shows 5.0.6 ?!
Hello, where gets "uname -a" the 5.0.6 info ? uname -a: SCO_SV hostname 3.2 5.0.6 i386 uname -X: System = SCO_SV Node = hostname Release = 3.2v5.0.5 KernelID = 98/07/02 Machine = PentII(D) BusType = ISA Serial = 4FI018581 Users = 130-user OEM# = 0 Origin# = 1 NumCPU = 2 truss doesn't helps. Regards, S.Marquardt Stefan Marquardt wrote: > where gets "uname -a" the 5.0.6 info ? > uname -a: > > SCO_SV hostname 3.2 5.0.6 i386 > > uname -X: > > System = SCO_SV > Node = hostname > Release = ...

Sybase and Openserver 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone give me information about what Sybase Sql version that runs on OSR5.0.4 and OSR5.0.5 etc? ...

FAQ Topic
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Javascript numbers are represented in binary as IEEE-754 (IEC 559) Doubles, with a resolution of 53 bits, giving an accuracy of 15-16 decimal digits; integers up to about 9e15 are precise, but few decimal fractions are. Given this, arithmetic is as exact as possible, but no more. Operations on integers are exact if the true result and all intermediates are integers within that range. In ...

relay=. [0.0.0.0], dsn=5.3.5, stat=Local configuration error
Hi, I'm using sendmail 8.13.3, running on Solaris 10. I can't seem to get my server to relay *to* any domain. What I want to do is get sendmail to relay to any domain, so long as it comes from certain ips and so long as the return address is from certain domains. For the purposes of this explanation I will use the simple email: MAIL FROM: james@mydomain.com RCPT TO: steve@otherdomain.com DATA Test .. The only way I can get my server to relay mail to a non local domain, is using a mailertable entry. For some reason my smart host entry in the sendmail.cf file is ignore...

Upgrading 5.0.5 Host To 5.0.7 Enterprise
Hello, What are the flaming hoops I need to jump through to upgrade a 5.0.5 Host to 5.0.7 Enterprise? I've tried to do some net research on my own on this and it's darn confusing to a newbie to UNIX like myself. It looks like I have to first purchase an upgrade to 5.0.6 Host or 5.0.7 Host and then I can get a trade-in/upgrade to 5.0.7 Enterprise? WTF? Thanks for any help! Ian Motterman wrote: > Hello, > > What are the flaming hoops I need to jump through to upgrade > a 5.0.5 Host to 5.0.7 Enterprise? > > I've tried to do some net research on my own on this ...

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

5.5.0 vs 5.5.3
I tried 5.5 out when it was first released, but it was too buggy for my needs then. As I now have enough money to buy a licence, I'm wondering how much it has improved between 5.5.0 and 5.5.3. While the bugfixes list on RB's website is helpful, I'd like to know how buggy it still 'feels', if you know what I mean. As I've already had my 15-day trial with 5.5.0, so I don't supppose I would be able to try out 5.5.3 - hence why I'm asking here. -- Ben Wheatley University of Wales, Aberystwyth In article <86bc5a84.0410110835.66236beb@posting.google...

[ANN] Rails 0.7.0, Action Pack 0.8.5, Active Record 0.9.5
I gather that most people are now familar with the RoR suite, so I'm skipping the formal introductions and will just bring you the meat. Get it all from http://www.rubyonrails.org, talk it up on #rubyonrails (FreeNet). Or even easier, just do "gem install rails" (or "gem update" if you're already running on Gem Rails) -- you'll automatically install all the newest versions of the required dependencies. Rails 0.7.0: Fixed WEBrick, new_model generator, easier fixtures ================================================================ The WEBrick dispatch has...

Free Dev Sys License (5.0.4 or 5.0.5)
Anybody need a Free(*) Openserver devsys license? It's from around the time of 5.0.4 or 5.0.5. But it should work up through 5.0.6, (by serializing ld and cc manually - those are the only two items that the license unlocks). Number: 2GA026600 Code: nxljpcpn Data: g0;k;mddh5m7 The license is not in use and is legit. Or as legit as can be after posting the activation info to Usenet. First one to email me gets the COLA VIA snail mail. And my condolences. -sw On Jan 24, 12:58=A0pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote: > Anybody need a Free(*) Openserver d...

Time for a new Cartoon character sock - no? On 8/16/11 1:16 PM, Redjak wrote: > Time for a new cartoon character sock, no? Any suggestions Olive Oyl? "Chance Furlong" wrote in message news:a9idnQpR6J6abtfTnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@giganews.com... On 8/16/11 1:16 PM, Redjak wrote: > Time for a new cartoon character sock, no? >Any suggestions Olive Oyl? Yeah - something stupid, as usual. ...

0.5 setgray0 0.5 setgray1
Hello everybody, I just updated MikTeX from 2.1 to 2.3 but I've started to regret it. I was writing my thesis and I wrote my own class for it. It internally calls some packages as follows \LoadClass{report} \RequirePackage[OT1]{fontenc} \RequirePackage{graphicx} \RequirePackage[english,finnish,italian]{babel} \RequirePackage[latin1]{inputenc} \RequirePackage{enumerate} \RequirePackage{calc} \RequirePackage{array} \RequirePackage{graphics} \RequirePackage{float} \RequirePackage{pdfpages} \RequirePackage{lastpage} \RequirePackage[pdfstart...

SCSI tape not working after upgrade 5.0.5 -> 5.0.7
Good day, After an upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 running on Dell PowerEdge 2400 to 5.0.7 we found the tape drive does not work. In "mkdev tape", when you go view the installed tape drives it lists none. But if you try to create a new one, it can't: ---snip--- You are about to add the following SCSI device: Host Adapter Type Adapter Device Number ID LUN Bus ------------------------------------------------------- SCSI alad tape 0 6 0 0 Update SCSI configuration? (y/n) y Cannot add this tape. Another tape is already...

WASD 5.0 and WAS 5.0 Books?
Can anyone recommend the best books for WebSphere Studio 5.0 and WebSphere Application Server 5.0? I know the IBM Redbooks are essential to have in my library, but I would like to add some other books to my library? I have seen good ratings on the following books on Amazon. What do you think about these? IBM(R) WebSphere(R) Application Server Programming (http://www.bitworm.com/detail/0072224592.html) WebSphere Studio Application Developer 5.0 by Igor Livshin (http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=183) Thanks! ...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

[tao-users] file handles with ACE/TAO 5.5.0/1.5.0
Hi * We are running a multi-daemon system with a central "dispatcher" ORB connecting to number of decentral ORBs (up to 400). The "dispatcher" also occasionally opens files to write status data to disk. The system is running as 32bit app on Solaris 9. Things went fine as long as we used ACE/TAO 5.4.0/1.4.0 but since we switched to 5.5.0/1.5.0 we have a problem with the number of used file handles. According to the "pfiles" command the number of used filehandles is much larger than before and it seems that every connection to another ORB stays a...