access to Access

I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect
to an Access database with RB.  Is that (still) true?  If so, that
would be a show stipper for us.

Thanks for any insight,

dave

0
Dave
8/21/2007 6:05:58 PM
comp.lang.basic.realbasic 2744 articles. 0 followers. spam127 (8) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1187719558.603002.257260@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 Dave <davegp2@msn.com> wrote:

> I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect
> to an Access database with RB.  Is that (still) true?  If so, that
> would be a show stipper for us.

I've never tried it, but I think you should be able to access Access via
ODBC.

Best,
- Joe

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via:  <http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/>
Dave wrote:
> I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect
> to an Access database with RB.  Is that (still) true?  If so, that
> would be a show stipper for us.

RB connects to Access via ODBC fairly easily. Here is a simple example
of reading data from a MBD:

   Dim db as ODBCDatabase
   db=New ODBCDatabase
   dim curTotal As Currency

   db.DataSource= "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=my.mdb "

   If db.Connect then

     dim rs As RecordSet
     rs = db.SQLSelect("SELECT ID, Amount FROM tblPaymentDetail")

     while not rs.EOF
       curTotal = curTotal + rs.Field("Amount").Value
       rs.MoveNext
     wend

     EditField1.Text = Format(curTotal, ",###.##")

   else
     MsgBox "The connection failed."
   end if
0
Lewis
8/22/2007 4:30:06 AM
Lewis:

Thank you for the info *and* the code.

Dave

On Aug 21, 11:30 pm, Lewis Gardner
<lgard...@simplifiedtechnologies.com> wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect
> > to an Access database with RB.  Is that (still) true?  If so, that
> > would be a show stipper for us.
>
> RB connects to Access via ODBC fairly easily. Here is a simple example
> of reading data from a MBD:
>
>    Dim db as ODBCDatabase
>    db=New ODBCDatabase
>    dim curTotal As Currency
>
>    db.DataSource= "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=my.mdb "
>
>    If db.Connect then
>
>      dim rs As RecordSet
>      rs = db.SQLSelect("SELECT ID, Amount FROM tblPaymentDetail")
>
>      while not rs.EOF
>        curTotal = curTotal + rs.Field("Amount").Value
>        rs.MoveNext
>      wend
>
>      EditField1.Text = Format(curTotal, ",###.##")
>
>    else
>      MsgBox "The connection failed."
>    end if

0
Dave
8/22/2007 1:08:48 PM
Hello Dave,

I am not sure of the post which mentioned problems with connecting to
Access via ODBC, I have personally noticed two revisions to the ODBC
plugin from REALbasic, and have not had any problems in the 3
databases that I am running with REALbasic (all ODBC plugin and
Microsoft Access).

Here is a link of an example program which was designed with Windows
XP, ODBC and Access:
http://drdakin.tripod.com/REALbasic/REALbasic.htm

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Eugene

0
Eugene
8/22/2007 10:48:25 PM
Hi Eugene,

It does help, thank you.

Dave

On Aug 22, 5:48 pm, Eugene <eugeneda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> I am not sure of the post which mentioned problems with connecting to
> Access via ODBC, I have personally noticed two revisions to the ODBC
> plugin from REALbasic, and have not had any problems in the 3
> databases that I am running with REALbasic (all ODBC plugin and
> Microsoft Access).
>
> Here is a link of an example program which was designed with Windows
> XP, ODBC and Access:http://drdakin.tripod.com/REALbasic/REALbasic.htm
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eugene

0
Dave

Accessing Access

Accessing access
Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. I want to use vb 6.0 to control data in a database (an access database). I've looked at tutorial all over the net but I don't want to use a data grid or anything like that because I want to control the database, not see it. So far, from one tutorial I've managed to get something on the lines of this ****************************************** dim db as Database Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") dim rspeople as recordset set rspeople = db.openrecordset("people") **************...

Access to Excel to Access
I have a form with two text boxes, text1 and text2. What I need is a button that exports each text box to a specific cell in an excel file, the excel file needs to be refreshed/updated so a calculation will run and the cell containing the calculation result is passed back to a third text box on the form in access. Ideas? fonzie wrote: > I have a form with two text boxes, text1 and text2. What I need is a > button that exports each text box to a specific cell in an excel file, > the excel file needs to be refreshed/updated so a calculation will run > and the cell containing th...

Accessing... accessing... fascinating
The AIX has fallen... -- Reply to ohland@charter.net ...

Accessing Notes from Access
Hello All, We have been charged with extracting some information from a notes database, into access or excel. We don't own any lotus products at all. We've tried installing NotesSQL odbc driver, which appears to install just fine, but it doesn't add any odbc driver to the listing, and when I run the admin tool it tells me that we don't have any appropriate version of notes on the machine. The system prereq stated we needed one of the lotus apps. So, I assume that we won't have access to the notessql driver unless we get a copy of notes or domino. The...

Access Controls in Access
How on access can you set access controls to your users? If they log in with one username and password they can just read information and if they log in with another username and password they can read and write? I have no idea how to do this, is it even possible?? Thank you Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, passwords, read/write allowances etc. to your database using that. Its under the 'Tools' menu of Access. Brian wrote: > Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, > passwords, read/write allowances etc. to you...

access to Access #2
I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that would be a show stipper for us. Thanks for any insight, dave ...

Access parameters and accessibility
I'm reading the book "Programming in Ada 2005" of John Barnes and I have difficulties to understand the chapter about access parameters. In chapter 10.7 on pages 197/198 he writes: --- An access parameter can be passed on to another access parameter; typically the accessibility indication is passed on unchanged but in the unusual circumstance where the called subprogram is internal to the calling subprogram, the accessibility level is replaced by that of the (statically known) formal calling parameter if less than the original actual parameter. --- Could some...

Spawning Access from Access
Hello, Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Access program with out going to a batch file or something? I would like to have an Access main menu and bring up a different front end Access program depending on the menu selection. I'm using Access 2000. Thanks, Hank Reed On 27 Dec 2004 05:26:34 -0800, "Hank" <hankrunner@aol.com> wrote: Sure. You can use Automation like this: dim o as new Access.Application o.visible=true o.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\two.mdb", False -Tom. >Hello, >Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Acc...

ACCESS accessibility from a C++ process launched from an ACCESS form
Here is my problem. From an ACCESS form, I run a C++ process reaching the same database in read/write mode via the ODBC driver. An error occurs: " The database has been placed by an unknown user in a state preventing it from being opened either locked. SQLSetConnectAttr failure of the pilot " (Nota : translated approximatively from the french error message). However, if I have used an another form before (eg. to modify a table), or if I have modified myself a record of any table, there is no problem. It seems that the database is in a state " read-only " by default until th...

Accessing webservice from access
Hi Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? Thanks Regards "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:40d73cf3$0$287$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Hi > > Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? > Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? > > Thanks > > Regards I don't know if there's an easier way but you can use the MSXML object. I suggest you do...

Calling up OutLook Express from Access Basic in Access 2.0?
Is the following remotely correct? =DDE("C:\Program Files\Program Files\Outlook Express\OEmig50","Attachment","Name") I'm not sure that OEmig50.exe is the executable for OE. Anybody know? I find no list of TOPICS to use with the DDE related commands in Access Basic or VBA in OutLook Express or MS Outlook. Where does one go for that sort of info? "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message news:dnpcmvs0dbjsl8b2mvomgh0hlqnblhsqf9@4ax.com... > I found that the correct name of the OE executable is msimn... > > =DDE("C:\Program ...

Web resources about - access to Access - comp.lang.basic.realbasic

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Canberra public hospitals 'struggling' on waiting times and access
Peak medical group warns falling funding for &quot;struggling&quot; hospitals could exacerbate already growing waiting times.

Helping refugees access education and information
... at a university in Germany. As they make it through a dangerous journey, the first thing refugees need is to find shelter, food and access ...

Some of Microsoft's biggest customers haven't had access to email for 9 days
... however, as users reported outages on January 24. Microsoft said it had fixed that issue, too, but companies are still not able to access email. ...

Veterans Might Finally Get Access To Medical Marijuana
'This policy disincentivizes doctors and patients from being honest with each other'

Democratic congressional candidate on $150,000 donations to GOP: 'I sign my checks to buy access'
... asked. While he said he disagrees with the GOP candidates he sent money to β€œon everything social and economic,” β€œI sign my checks to buy access.” ...

GOG.com has started selling early access games
These days, if I'm getting an email about a new PC game, chances are high it's something on Steam Early Access. Even Microsoft has embraced the ...

34 Million Americans Still Lack Access to Real Broadband -
... to be no. According to the FCC's 2016 Broadband Progress Report (pdf), 34 million Americans (or about 10% of the population) lack access to ...

The Public Access Weekly: So this is the New Year
It's widely accepted that with a new year comes new beginnings and now that 2016 is upon us, we're taking that as an open door to shake things ...

Tech Companies Act to Prevent U.S. Access to Data Stored Overseas
NEWS ANALYSIS: Microsoft, Facebook and other companies take defensive action to keep the U.S. government from seizing data stored in the European ...