Re: Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope. #4

Matt Trivisonno <matt@putmylastnamehere.com> wrote:

>Yes, the RB Language Reference states: "A Variant is a special data type that
>can contain any type of data." However, VisualBasic variants can contain
>arrays, and RB variants cannot. This is a serious compatability problem for
>porting VB apps to RB. And I don't believe it takes rocket science to
>implement. All you have to do is make the variant able to point to an array.

I would also like to add that this is yet another way that RS
did a half-assed job. Sure you can do simple things with
variants, but as soon as you try to do something REAL with
them, the damn thing breaks. In fact, I doubt many RB
programmers use variants at all. The only time you REALly
need them is when you are trying to call a DLL or OCX,
and then the ONE aspect of the Visual Basic variant
that you need is missing.

Anybody who has been in this group for a while has seen
many episodes of VB programmers trying to call DLL's or use
OCX's in RB and going away frustrated - often after many
hours of trying to do bizarre workarounds with memoryblocks
because RB simply lacks a REAL set of datatypes.

Matt

Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders.

Matt
2/26/2006 10:30:29 PM
comp.lang.basic.realbasic 2744 articles. 0 followers. spam127 (8) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope.
Lewis Gardner <lgardner@simplifiedtechnologies.com> wrote: >MSChart.ocx is not a very good example. I don't know about that. I'll bet there are a lot of VB apps that use it. >When I try to load it in VB6 I get a license error. I have Office >installed. Who knows... That is a side issue. >RB2006r1 reports a data type error when running in the IDE. MSChart.ocx >apparently uses variant for .ChartData and the datatype may not be >compatible with RB. I never have trusted variants anyway. Yes, of course there is a reason why it doesn't wor...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope. #3
>Lewis Gardner wrote: >This is because it uses variants to contain arrays. >RB does not support variant arrays. Yes, the RB Language Reference states: "A Variant is a special data type that can contain any type of data." However, VisualBasic variants can contain arrays, and RB variants cannot. This is a serious compatability problem for porting VB apps to RB. And I don't believe it takes rocket science to implement. All you have to do is make the variant able to point to an array. Matt Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders. Get you...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope. #2
Lewis Gardner <lgardner@simplifiedtechnologies.com> wrote: >I have never seen it in use in a non-demo application during my 10+ >years of supporting networks and VB programming that used MSChart. Well, I doubt any one person has ever observed more than 1% of VB apps. Neither one of us has presented any hard data, however, since the MSChart ocx is distributed with MS Office, it has certainly been available to millions of VB programmers. >The fact it does not run on a XP machine with VB6 and Office installed >certainly makes me question the stability of the O...

Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope.
REAL Software has been claiming to be a good alternative to Visual Basic for a long time now. But can you really port VB apps to RB? Not really. Most VB apps use a lot of ActiveX components, and while you can certainly add ActiveX controls to your RB app, it only *looks* like it will work. The actual reality is not so pretty. On MSDN, there is a sample app containing 6 lines of code: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vbconusingchartcontrol.asp Can RB handle this trivial app? Nope. It won't even compile it. I have uploaded a zi...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle MP3s and Video? Nope. #4
Arnaud Nicolet <arnau@tribu.ch> wrote: >A Mac version of Windows Media Player exists; I have it. The main >problem is that it is very slow on my machine (the video doesn't follow >the audio). Ah yes, I had that on my Mac for a while too. I didn't find it useful either. >I would like to have all my movies in a "standard" format That would be nice, but it will happen as soon as all computers have the same OS, all people speak the same language, etc. >Yes, this is not obvious for RS. They decided to make a specific code >editor; t...

Re: Visual Basic and REALbasic
"Math1723" <anonym1723@aol.com> wrote: >I am told that projects created with VB can be ported to RB with small >effort. Who told you that? I have redone several VB apps in RB and in each case it required a complete re-write. RB only offers token support for ActiveX and DLL's. Matt Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders. Get your free copy at www.techsono.com. I agree with Charles. If it is not too big the VB to RB conversion tool will handle a lot of it. I have converted a couple of small projects, though all were VB6, a...

Re: Visual Basic and REALbasic #2
"Jonathan Hoyle" <jonhoyle@mac.com> wrote: >See: http://www.realsoftware.com/users/visualbasic/ >In particular, the passage under "Port your code" reads: >"The REALbasic language is very similar to Visual Basic, so porting >your applications will likely be a straightforward process. REAL >Software provides a Visual Basic Project Converter that will assist you >in the process. Most developers find that their projects port in hours >or days, rather than the weeks or months required in other >environments." Well, that...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle MP3s and Video? Nope.
"Bob Coleman/PDX OR" <no@spamplease.com> wrote: >I just dragged the MoviePlayer control and a PushButton onto a form >This was the first time I have tried media on RB and it was decidedly simple >to figure out. Yes, it is just good enough to fool you into buying the product, which is RS's design goal as far as I can tell. If you look at the example project I made, you will see the problem: http://www.techsono.com/rb/activex.html If I have made a coding mistake, please tell me. Adding an ActiveX control to your app without being able to access ...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle MP3s and Video? #4
"GarethConner" <garethconner@mac.com> wrote: >I'm more confused now than I was before. Sadly, I've already wasted a >little too much time on this, hopefully Mars can come back and help >sort this out. I can certainly empathize, if I actually needed this >feature to work I'd be pretty damn frustrated. Ok, thanks for your help. Hopefully you will have occasion to use some of the things you learned from this in the future. Matt Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders. Get your free copy at www.techsono.com. Please...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle MP3s and Video? Nope. #3
Arnaud Nicolet <arnau@tribu.ch> wrote: >Can it read .ram files (RealPlayer files)? No, so you got me there. But the reason why this is so, I think, is because of patent issues. WMP can't play QuickTime files either. But this is actually supporting my point that an actual working ActiveX implementation is not an option. I believe there is a RealPlayer ActiveX control also, though it probably won't work in RB any better than the WMP control does. >For instance, WMV files cannot be read using QuickTime (I'm looking for >a way to convert them since I ...

Re: Can REALBasic Handle MP3s and Video? Nope. #2
Arnaud Nicolet <arnau@tribu.ch> wrote: >> The fact that nothing REAL can be done with media on Windows with RB remains >> un-refuted. > >It can, since Media player is not the only way to handle medias (you >seem to assume that only Media player can). Ok, perhaps I am wrong. My assumptions are that: 1) RB can only play media via QuickTime and Windows Media Player. 2) Only Windows Media Player can handle *all* the file types likely to be found on a PC. So, if there is an alternative to playing AVIs, for example, please tell me what it is. ...

Visual Basic and REALbasic
I am told that projects created with VB can be ported to RB with small effort. I am inheriting a VB project, but I don't know if it is a VB 2003 or a VB 2005 project. I know that there have been some changes in the 2005 version (VB.net changed only slightly between the 2002 and 2003 releases). Will Rb be able to convert a 2005 project, or is it only good with the original VB.net? I don't know, but I thought RB converted old VB 6 projects, but nothing from .NET. Is this true? "Math1723" <anonym1723@aol.com> wrote in message news:1141337997.713810....

Realbasic vs Visual Basic
Hi folks, I'm looking for a cross-platform development tool (particularly Windows & Linux), having previously worked with Paradox and VB on Windows for the past 8 years. I've only just started to look at Realbasic and would like to look at documentation comparing RB to VB, so I can determine whether RB suits my needs. Could anyone point me to a site that provides such a comparison? E.g, what's the equivalent to ADO in RB? Is there a control like the Datagrid control in VB? Can ActiveX controls be used in RB for Windows? Can I call the Windows API? etc etc. ...

REALbasic more crack-resistant than Visual Basic?
I've been writing shareware for years; I've noticed my Visual Basic (Windows) apps were cracked within weeks. Yet my best-selling program, written in REALbasic for both Mac and Windows, hasn't been cracked yet. Even tho' the algorithm is pretty much the same for both the REALbasic and Visual Basic programs. So is REALbasic more crack-resistant than Visual Basic? Have others found this to be true? In article <11bc61a7.0307281457.45c7c8bd@posting.google.com>, dunerider@ameritech.net (Jim S.) wrote: > I've been writing shareware for years; I've not...

Web resources about - Re: Can REALBasic Handle This Simple Visual Basic App? Nope. #4 - comp.lang.basic.realbasic

App Store - Paperless Lite: Lists + Checklists
Get Paperless Lite: Lists + Checklists on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr Services

Hotline Communications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hotline Communications Limited (HCL) was a software company founded in 1997, based in Toronto , Canada, with employees also in the United States ...

OSX/Leverage.a Analysis - AlienVault
Tell Us Your Thoughts & Enter to Win an iPad Mini. Take Our Survey Now » Search Partners Support Login Products & Solutions Explore Unified Security ...

ATPM - Reviews Viewed by Product Name

BASIC: Making a case for an old favorite
... popular with many users, so they deserve to be highlighted. Basic4Android BlitzMax IWBasic Creative Basic Free Basic Pure Basic RealBasic ...

Most Popular Mac Downloads - CNET Download.com
Come to CNET Download.com for the most popular Mac software on the Web. All downloads are safe, trusted, and spyware-free. Includes MP3 and audio ...

旧专题 « 创意纪
关于 旧专题 search skip to content ↓ 创意纪 安静的生活 Home UX/UE UE实例 摄影 lightroom photoshop 摄影作品 模特 汽车与美女 新闻事件 体育 娱乐 社会 第三方支付 经济 琐事记录 中国汽车网 免费虚拟主机 创意纪 小说散文 ...

Math Software for Mac - Free downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
The most downloaded Math Software software, including Year 7 Interactive Maths (2nd Ed) - Home Licence, Units Wizard, and ISA

Component X
Bosco's Screen Share 3 It has never been easier to show your friend exactly what is happening on your computer. You have a Mac, your friend ...