Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database

I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not received any answers.
Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with changes) in hopes of
getting an answer.

Jim Y

Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so I hope I can explain my
question.

I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known problems (yet), I had to add/modify
the database and program to include an additional variable.  This program has been installed on a
friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.

My questions are:
What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the new db?
I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for the program to work, but
what about including his data into the new db?
Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?

In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on my PC.  That was a manual
adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to do this also?

Whenever I make changes to a DB schema, I do so through scripts - never
through a visaul, interactive tool. I believe you should distribute your new
exe and a script that upgrades his db to the new schema, preserving his
data.

"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not
received any answers.
> Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here
(with changes) in hopes of
> getting an answer.
>
> Jim Y
>
> Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so I
hope I can explain my
> question.
>
> I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known problems
(yet), I had to add/modify
> the database and program to include an additional variable.  This program
has been installed on a
> friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.
>
> My questions are:
> What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the
new db?
> I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for
the program to work, but
> what about including his data into the new db?
> Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
> OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
>
> In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on
my PC.  That was a manual
> adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to
do this also?

All you have to do is copy the new exe and using his Access, add the field to
the table in his database, plus copying to his database all modified queries
and reports.  Populating the new field in his table is probably a manual
process.

Lee Weiner
lee AT leeweiner DOT org

In article <NDjkc.5601$Xj6.87653@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Jim Y"
<j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote:
>I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not
> received any answers.
>Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with
> changes) in hopes of
>getting an answer.
>
>Jim Y
>
>Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so I hope I
> can explain my
>question.
>
>I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known problems (yet),
> I had to add/modify
>the database and program to include an additional variable.  This program has
> been installed on a
>friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.
>
>My questions are:
>What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the new
> db?
>I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for the
> program to work, but
>what about including his data into the new db?
>Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
>OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
>
>In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on my
> PC.  That was a manual
>adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to do
> this also?

0
lee5581 (132)
4/30/2004 3:41:59 AM
Jim Y wrote:

[snip]

> My questions are:
> What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the new db?
> I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for the program to work, but
> what about including his data into the new db?

Can you network with his PC, run Access
and make the changes directly to the mdb?
If not, take a copy of his mdb, make the
changes, then copy it back onto his
machine.

Can you run an SQL 'Alter Table' statement
on his db? That would add the new field to
each record.

Either way, you still have to add the data
for the new field...

> Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?

Sure. Open two databases, set up a loop to
read from one and write to the other.

> OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?

This should not be necessary.

> In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on my PC.  That was a manual
> adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to do this also?
0
ruthal (141)
4/30/2004 3:59:39 AM
Open two databases, set up a loop to
> read from one and write to the other.

This appears to be the answer that I was seeking because I can do this at his home.  Unfortunately,
I do not have any idea how to do this.  Can you give me a quick, simple example to get me started?
Remember, databases are new to me.  This is the only one that I have written.

Thank you,
Jim Y

"Randy Day" <ruthal@sasktel.nex> wrote in message news:4091CF2A.A5D25113@sasktel.nex...
> Jim Y wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > My questions are:
> > What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the new db?
> > I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for the program to work,
but
> > what about including his data into the new db?
>
> Can you network with his PC, run Access
> and make the changes directly to the mdb?
> If not, take a copy of his mdb, make the
> changes, then copy it back onto his
> machine.
>
> Can you run an SQL 'Alter Table' statement
> on his db? That would add the new field to
> each record.
>
> Either way, you still have to add the data
> for the new field...
>
> > Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
>
> Sure. Open two databases, set up a loop to
> read from one and write to the other.
>
> > OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
>
> This should not be necessary.
>

> > In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on my PC.  That was a
manual
> > adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to do this also?

You can approach this a couple of ways.  I assume you like your friend.  If
that is the case, then you should convert the data for him.

You can write a data conversion routine  into the app or as a separate app,
part of the install.  Or you can have him send you his database and you can
convert it for him,  then can send the new app and database back to him.

On second thought, what do you mean when you say "I had to add/modify
the database and program to include an additional variable" ?  Is that a new
field to a table? IF that is the case then you can use SQL to add the field
to the table.  After the app connects to the DB have it check for the field,
if it is not there add it.  You also may want to start versioning the
database.

Dan...

"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not
received any answers.
> Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here
(with changes) in hopes of
> getting an answer.
>
> Jim Y
>
> Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so I
hope I can explain my
> question.
>
> I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known problems
(yet), I had to add/modify
> the database and program to include an additional variable.  This program
has been installed on a
> friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.
>
> My questions are:
> What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the
new db?
> I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for
the program to work, but
> what about including his data into the new db?
> Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
> OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
>
> In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on
my PC.  That was a manual
> adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to
do this also?

0
formulazss (13)
4/30/2004 11:48:48 AM
I added another field for an additional variable in the new version.

 IF that is the case then you can use SQL to add the field
> to the table.  After the app connects to the DB have it check for the field,
> if it is not there add it.  You also may want to start versioning the
> database.

I am not sure how to do the above.  Could you give me a hint?

What I thought I might try is write a small program to read each entry from the old db and have it
saved to the new db.  In the copying process, I would include the variable to the new field.

Briefly, the old DB had 3 phone numbers with fixed titles - Phone 1, Phone 2 and FAX.  In the
revision, I created a routine to permit each of the titles to be user selected and print on screen
and on the hard copy.  The user will have the option of selecting - Home Ph, Work Ph, FAX, Cell Ph
or Pager - for each of the three shown above.  My new field is a 3 digit number pertaining to the 3
phone entries.  The five titles are numerically represented such as 123 where 1 is Home Ph, 2 is
Work Ph and 3 is FAX.  It is the simplest way that I can think of and use only one new field.  The
user can now select anyone of the five possibilities for each for the 3 phone numbers and keep them
in the preferred sequence.  In the replacement process, the 3 digits would be 123.   I am aware the
sequence may have been 213.  The user has the option of changing any or all 3 of them afterwards.
With this method, I can add 4 more titles to the list in the future - 111 to 999 - without modifying
the database.  At this time, I don't know what other titles may exist and be general in nature.

Thank you,
Jim Y

"Dan E." <formulazss@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:40923d1d.0@news.syr.edu...
> You can approach this a couple of ways.  I assume you like your friend.  If
> that is the case, then you should convert the data for him.
>
> You can write a data conversion routine  into the app or as a separate app,
> part of the install.  Or you can have him send you his database and you can
> convert it for him,  then can send the new app and database back to him.
>
> On second thought, what do you mean when you say "I had to add/modify
> the database and program to include an additional variable" ?  Is that a new
> field to a table?>
> Dan...
>
> "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> > I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not
> received any answers.
> > Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here
> (with changes) in hopes of
> > getting an answer.
> >
> > Jim Y
> >
> > Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so I
> hope I can explain my
> > question.
> >
> > I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known problems
> (yet), I had to add/modify
> > the database and program to include an additional variable.  This program
> has been installed on a
> > friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the
> new db?
> > I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for
> the program to work, but
> > what about including his data into the new db?
> > Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
> > OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
> >
> > In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on
> my PC.  That was a manual
> > adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to
> do this also?

It dawned on me how I might achieve this.
Thank you,
Jim Y

"Randy Day" <ruthal@sasktel.nex> wrote in message news:4091CF2A.A5D25113@sasktel.nex...
> Jim Y wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > My questions are:
> > What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and the new db?
> > I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC for the program to work,
but
> > what about including his data into the new db?
>
> Can you network with his PC, run Access
> and make the changes directly to the mdb?
> If not, take a copy of his mdb, make the
> changes, then copy it back onto his
> machine.
>
> Can you run an SQL 'Alter Table' statement
> on his db? That would add the new field to
> each record.
>
> Either way, you still have to add the data
> for the new field...
>
> > Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new one?
>
> Sure. Open two databases, set up a loop to
> read from one and write to the other.
>
> > OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
>
> This should not be necessary.
>

> > In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of upgrade on my PC.  That was a
manual
> > adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code to do this also?

Jim,

It has been a while since I use DAO,  I 'ved switch over to Oracle a few
years back.  But,  Look in DAO35.HLP  for how to do this in detail.  You
should use CreateProperty(name,type). When you go to append data in this
field and it does not exists, it will error out. Trap the error and add the
field, then resume.

> What I thought I might try is write a small program to read each entry
from the old db and have it
> saved to the new db.  In the copying process, I would include the variable
to the new field.

Instead of doing that, use "Execute"  Build your SQL to copy the data from
one table to a new table. remove (or rename) the old, then rename the new to
the proper name.  Your can get the SQl for access. make a create table
querry and then look at the SQL.

Dan...

> > You can approach this a couple of ways.  I assume you like your friend.
If
> > that is the case, then you should convert the data for him.
> >
> > You can write a data conversion routine  into the app or as a separate
app,
> > part of the install.  Or you can have him send you his database and you
can
> > convert it for him,  then can send the new app and database back to him.
> >
> > On second thought, what do you mean when you say "I had to add/modify
> > the database and program to include an additional variable" ?  Is that a
new
> > field to a table?>
> > Dan...
> >
> > "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> > > I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have
not
> > received any answers.
> > > Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it
here
> > (with changes) in hopes of
> > > getting an answer.
> > >
> > > Jim Y
> > >
> > > Using a database is still new for me.  I do not know all the terms, so
> > hope I can explain my
> > > question.
> > >
> > > I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO.  It works with no known
problems
> > (yet), I had to add/modify
> > > the database and program to include an additional variable.  This
program
> > has been installed on a
> > > friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version.
> > >
> > > My questions are:
> > > What must I do for the upgrade to work using the *data in his db* and
the
> > new db?
> > > I know that I can copy the new exe file and the mdb file onto his PC
for
> > the program to work, but
> > > what about including his data into the new db?
> > > Can I use VB code to copy the data from the old database to the new
one?
> > > OR, must the new db require him to re-enter his data manually?
> > >
> > > In the past, I have used Visdata to compensate for this type of
upgrade on
> > my PC.  That was a manual
> > > adjustment that was rather easily and quickly done.  Can I use VB code
> > do this also?

0
formulazzz (21)
5/1/2004 10:37:56 AM
I created this database using VisData because I do not have Access.  From the information that I do
have, I have no idea what, or how to use, CreateProperty() or whether it is acceptable.  I have
found ALTER TABLE, which I assume will permit me to add PhoneName to my Client table.

My main source of information is from "Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days", fourth edition.  If I
can't find an example in that text on how to do something, I am lost.  The article describing ALTER
TABLE refers to "Adding a column to an existing table" and "Modifying and existing column" and gives
this syntax:

ALTER TABLE table_name
    <ADD column_name data_type; |
MODIFY column_name data_type;>

From prior pages they use column and field interchangeably so I assume they are the same.  Is that a
correct assumption?  Can you give me a few more words/code to get me on the right path?

Can I use VisData to make this addition?  There is an SQL code box provided.  I do not have any
literature that truly explains how to use VisData either, just what I have picked up from various
newsgroups.  (Self teaching sucks since the instructor does not know anymore than the student.)

FYI, I have used EXECUTE in my Update routine:
<snip>
     strSQL = strSQL & "AnniversaryDate = #" & dtAnniversary & "# "
    ' add PhoneName info here  #############################################
     strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE Clients.ClientID = " & Val(Right(frmPayment.LblClientNbr.Caption, 6))
& ""
    FrmClientData.gdbLimo.Execute (strSQL)
<snip>

Thank you,
Jim Y

"Dan E." <formulazzz@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to 999 - without modifying
> > the database.  At this time, I don't know what other titles may exist and
> be general in nature.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jim Y
> >

> > "Dan E." <formulazss@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > You can approach this a couple of ways.  I assume you like your friend.
> If
> > > that is the case, then you should convert the data for him.
> > >
> > > You can write a data conversion routine  into the app or as a separate
> app,
> > > part of the install.  Or you can have him send you his database and you
> can
> > > convert it for him,  then can send the new app and database back to him.
> > >
> > > On second thought, what do you mean when you say "I had to add/modify
> > > the database and program to include an additional variable" ?  Is that a

Jim,

This works with DAO3.6

    Dim db As Database
    Dim td As TableDef
    Dim rs As Recordset
    Set db = OpenDatabase(App.Path + "\links.mdb")
    Set td = db.TableDefs("Links")
    td.Fields.Append   td.CreateField("test1", dbInteger)
    Set rs = td.OpenRecordset
    Set td = Nothing

This will add a field (test) to the links table in the links.mdb access
database (version 7.0)

check for err.number 3265. if you get the error, close your table.  do
something like above, then reopen the table.

sorry short for time.

Dan...

> [...]
123
> > where 1 is Home Ph, 2 is
> > > Work Ph and 3 is FAX.  It is the simplest way that I can think of and
use
> > only one new field.  The
> > > user can now select anyone of the five possibilities for each for the
3
> > phone numbers and keep them
> > > in the preferred sequence.  In the replacement process, the 3 digits
would
> > be 123.   I am aware the
> > > sequence may have been 213.  The user has the option of changing any
or
> > all 3 of them afterwards.
> > > With this method, I can add 4 more titles to the list in the future -
111
> > to 999 - without modifying
> > > the database.  At this time, I don't know what other titles may exist

0
formulazzz (21)

Accessing BTrieve database from Visual C++/Visual Basic
Hi! I have been looking on the pervasive website but things don't get really clear to me. Does anybody know how to access a betrieve database from either Visual Basic or from Visual C++? Is there some sort of ODBC driver or anything alike? Do you know where to get it and if it is free or needs to be payed for? I'm looking for this because we use a product in our clinic that makes use of a BTrieve database from which we would like to query some information that we would like to use in some other system. If we can access the BTrieve database we are able to treat our patient be...

VB6 and Access Database Questions...
I am a novice with VB6 and Access Databases. I am looking at how to write a program in VB6 which will track information and will add, delete, and updated this information to the access DB as needed. Also, I am interested in how to read a value from a field in an access DB and load it into a data array variable. Thanks, Henry Best bet is to do a search for ADO in Google. -- Chris Hanscom MVP (Visual Basic) http://www.veign.com -- "babydoc" <babydoc_no@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9618454b4b1943deac0e72397bb1b482@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com.....

Connecting to MS-Access database through visual basic
Hi, I am trying to browse a recordset using bound controls using VB 6.0. I am using Windows XP operating system. to this end i created a form in vb and try to link it to MS-Access database. when i give the path of database(.mdb) file, to link to the database, it gives an error saying unrecognised database format. any thoughts on why this is happening? any help is greatly appreciated. thanx in advance. i think u dont have latest latest Access drivers installed, and trying to access a newer version of Access database than VB (odbc) supports. Khurram ...

ado recordset in visual basic database access
Hi: I am trying to access my access database by using visual basic 6.0. I want to use recordset method to get data from query. I can get connection established, but I get error in further debugging with message "arguments are of the wrong type, are out of the acceptable range, are in conflict with one another". Anyone can help me out, Below is my current code Option Explicit Sub Main() Call Upload_User_Attribute End Sub Public Function Upload_User_Attribute() Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConnString...

ado recordset in visual basic database access
Hi: I am trying to access my access database by using visual basic 6.0. I want to use recordset method to get data from query. I can get connection established, but I get error in further debugging with message "arguments are of the wrong type, are out of the acceptable range, are in conflict with one another". Anyone can help me out, Below is my current code Option Explicit Sub Main() Call Upload_User_Attribute End Sub Public Function Upload_User_Attribute() Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConnString As String Dim iCtr As Integer Dim PersonnelNumber, LastSSN, FirstName, LastName Dim strPN, strLastSSN, strFirstName, strLastName Dim ConnectionString, ActiveConnection, CursorLocation, adUseClient, strSQL, adOpenFowardOnly, adLockReadOnly, fnSQL_RS sConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Deploy08022005\data\user_attribute.mdb" Set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.ConnectionString = sConnString conn.Open Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") rs.ActiveConnection = conn 'rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient strSQL = "SELECT PersonnelNumber, LastSSN, FirstName, LastName FROM Sap_flat" 'rs.Source = strSQL rs.Open strSQL, , adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly If Not rs.EOF Then Do While Not rs.EOF strPN = rs("PersonnnelNumber") strLastSSN = rs.Fields("LastSSN") strFirstName = rs.Fields("FirstName") s...

Open Access Database Form from within Access database
I have included the following code to open an Access database form from within an exsisting Access database. But when I run the code, it appears that it opens the database because in windows explorer I can see the database has the .ldb file extension. So it appears that it's open, but I can't see the database or the form that I've tried to open. What am I doing wrong. The following is the code: 'This is in the declaration part of the module Dim appAccess As Access.Application ' Initialize string to database path. Const strConPathToSamples = "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Careset Data Verification\Error Log Database.mdb" strDB = strConPathToSamples & "Error Log Database.mdb" ' Create new instance of Microsoft Access. Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application") ' Open database in Microsoft Access window. appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strConPathToSamples ' Open form. appAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "Import Error Logs", acNormal Thanks in advanced, bailee220 -- Posted via http://dbforums.com After these lines of code: ' Create new instance of Microsoft Access. Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application") ' Open database in Microsoft Access window. appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strConPathToSamples '-->you need to place this line of code appAccess.Visible = True '<--missing this line here Rich *** Sent via Develop...

ado recordset in visual basic database access #2
Thanks for your time, I used your code, however, It still has bug, so far, I can debug all the way down to --strPN =3D rs("PersonnnelNumber").Value & "" Then it raise error again, saying "run time error 3265" Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal do you have any idea, thanks in advance Try this (air-code): '----------------------Start Code----------------------- Public Function Upload_User_Attribute() Dim conn As ADODB.Connection Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConnString As String Dim strPN As String Dim strLastSSN As String, strFirstName As String, strLastName As tring Dim strSQL As String 'Create the connection Set conn =3D CreateObject("ADODB.Connection=AD") sConnString =3D "Provider=3DMicrosoft.Jet.OLEDB.=AD4.0;" & _ "Data Source=3DC:\Deploy08022005\data\=ADuser_attribute.mdb" conn.Open sConnString 'Create the Recordset Set rs =3D CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset"=AD) strSQL =3D "SELECT PersonnelNumber, LastSSN, FirstName, LastName FROM Sap_flat" rs.Open strSQL, conn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly 'Check for records If Not rs.EOF Then 'Loop through all records Do Until rs.EOF strPN =3D rs("PersonnnelNumber").Value & "" strLastSSN =3D rs.Fields("LastSSN").Value & "" strFirstName =3D rs.Fields("FirstName")...

Visual Basic Pro Ver4 and Access 97 Database
I have an Access 97 database I would like to distribute, and provide a compiled program for those who don't have Access I do have the Access 97 developer tools CD and runtime, but the install that creates is REALLY large (essentially, from what I know, the entire Access 97 application with all the development interface removed or "locked out") I am thinking about getting VB Pro v5 to create the user interface (fairly simple... a half dozen data entry screens and 2 reports based on screen selections and queries) but wonder how big an EXE I should expect? (I know the VB5 runtime is also needed, but that is only about 1 Meg) Since I don't know Visual Basic, I would also like to know the name(s) of good book(s) which explain designing the user interface and working with Access files Thanks for any and all help and suggestions John Thomas Smith http://www.direct2usales.com http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith I don't know the size of the VB executable, but don't forget that you will have to include the Jet database engine, and _don't underestimate_ the time and effort to re-write. There are some (not inexpensive) 3rd party conversion tools, but those who use them tell us that they are "only the start". The VB UI _appears_ similar to Access, but there are many differences -- a big, unobvious one being that there are no data events such as Before Update, After Update, etc., that we use all the time. VB has no "bound forms" and its...

ado recordset in visual basic database access---I am still having problem
Thanks for your time, I used your code, however, It still has bug, so far, I can debug all the way down to --strPN = rs("PersonnnelNumber").Value & "" Then it raise error again, saying "run time error 3265" Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal do you have any idea, thanks in advance Keep the post in the original thread. No need to start another thread... -- Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP (VB) Veign's Resource Center http://www.veign.com/vrc_main.asp -- "weiwei" <weihuangzhu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124228317.383330.131190@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Thanks for your time, > I used your code, however, It still has bug, so far, I can debug all > the way down to --strPN = rs("PersonnnelNumber").Value & "" > Then it raise error again, saying "run time error 3265" Item cannot be > found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal > > > do you have any idea, > thanks in advance > ...

Visual Basic 6 Accessing XML database on a web server
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me to use visual basic 6 to connect to a server with a XML file on it and retrieve certain parts. I'm a bit of a newbie in XML programming, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Daniel Sullivan Hi Daniel, This should get you the xml from your server down into a DOM document. They are used to process xml in a node tree. Look up XPath as a means of jumping to nodes directly. http://www.w3schools.com/ has good resources on this and other xml style things. Look up DOM on MSDN and you should get the hang of it quite quickly. It is a simple technology. You'll need to add Microsoft XML, 3.0 into your references for the vb project. This requires a reasonably up to date version of IE or a seperate install of MSXML. Regards, Finlay Macrae Dim obj As New DOMDocument Dim bstrString As String Dim objXMLHTTPRequest As New MSXML2.XMLHTTP objXMLHTTPRequest.open "GET", "http://yourserver/your .xml or .asp", False objXMLHTTPRequest.setRequestHeader "Content-type", "text/xml" objXMLHTTPRequest.send If objXMLHTTPRequest.Status = 200 Then bstrString = objXMLHTTPRequest.responseText Else MsgBox "Problem with download :(" End If obj.loadXML bstrString MsgBox obj.xml "Daniel Sullivan" <danielsullivan87@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<kz4Ta.7948$OM3.2893@news-server.bigpond.net.au>... > Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me to u...

Connect to Access database that resides on web server via Visual Basic?!
Is there a way to use access database on web host (I have a web hosting account) in visual basic. I want to make Visual basic client applications that connect to internet and work with access database on some web server. Can it be done? Tnx. If you are deploying VB clients, I would just use Sql Server instead. A lot of ISP's (including me) support Sql Server and the ability to connect to it over the web using a simple connection string... or you can configure a dsn on the client as well, your choice. You can't simply "connect" to mdb's. One reason is that it is a Jet limitation, thus requiring your to have direct file access to the mdb. I have heard of some people that talk about using "Remoting" in .Net to do this -- but I don't know anything about that yet. -- Jerry Boone Analytical Technologies, Inc. http://www.antech.biz Secure Hosting and Development Solutions for ASP, ASP.NET, SQL Server, and Access "Zvonko Tusek" <ztus@inet.hr> wrote in message news:c1fmvi$556$1@sunce.iskon.hr... > Is there a way to use access database on web host (I have a web hosting > account) in visual basic. > I want to make Visual basic client applications that connect to internet and > work with access database on some web server. > Can it be done? > Tnx. > > > ...

Can I update a MS Access 2002 database with Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon?
I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end, I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible? what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual Studio instead? Cheers, In VB.Net you'd use the ADO.Net objects to update the database. Visual Studio.Net is just another Rapid Application Development (RAD) tool. It has the added ability of being the development platform for VB.NET, C#.NET, C++.NET, Java.NET. It can also easily create XML objects/dependencies and set up web pages to use ASP.NET. And, other stuff I've forgotten about. -- MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net Oakland, CA (USA) pisaac wrote: > I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to > do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether > this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I > already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end, > I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible? > what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual > Studio instead? You'd want to go to the description of what you get with VB.NET Standard to see if it comes with the necessary su...

Database copy -- recover database question
I am coping SAP/Oracle database R3Q to Q02, For R3Q: SQL> connect / as sysdba Connected. SQL> alter system switch logfile; (4 times, we have 2 groups , 2 memebers per group) System altered. SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace; SQL> shutdown Database closed. Database dismounted. ORACLE instance shut down. For Q02: Copy all database & online redo logs to correcponding destination directory. CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "Q02" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG -- SET STANDBY TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE MAXLOGFILES 255 MAXLOGMEMBERS 3 MAXDATAFILES 254 MAXINSTANCES 50 MAXLOGHISTORY 3176 LOGFILE GROUP 1 ( '/oracle/Q02/origlogA/log_g11m1.dbf', '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogA/log_g11m2.dbf' ) SIZE 50M, GROUP 2 ( '/oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g12m1.dbf', '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogB/log_g12m2.dbf' ) SIZE 50M, GROUP 3 ( '/oracle/Q02/origlogA/log_g13m1.dbf', '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogA/log_g13m2.dbf' ) SIZE 50M, GROUP 4 ( '/oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g14m1.dbf', '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogB/log_g14m2.dbf' ) SIZE 50M -- STANDBY LOGFILE DATAFILE '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/system_1/system.data1', '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_1/r3q.data1', '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_2/r3q.data2', '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_3/r3q.data3', '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_4/r3q.data4', '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_5/r3q.data5', '/oracle/Q02/...

Problem with accessing Access 2002 Database from VB6 IN xp
I am facing a problem with accesiing MS access 2002 (Office XP) with VB 6.0 using a common controls like MSFlex/data control. It gives a error invalid database..? could any body can help me ?.. is their any patches to add in VB 6.? Or any suitable reference to be added in VB..? Thanks, PK *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! What code are you using to connect to the database? <PK> wrote in message news:3f408cfb$0$193$75868355@news.frii.net... > I am facing a problem with accesiing MS access 2002 (Office XP) with VB > 6.0 using a common controls like MSFlex/data control. It gives a error > invalid database..? could any body can help me ?.. is their any patches > to add in VB 6.? Or any suitable reference to be added in VB..? > > Thanks, > > PK > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Database access question
SAS-L gurus -=20 =20 I have a question about database access using SAS. Suppose I have multiple databases that my computer hooks directly, but I don't know the names. Using "libname" way, for example: *** libname db oracle = user=3Dxxx password=3Dxxx path=3D'db_name"; *** I can assign an alias to the = specific database I want to access. With this approach, however, I have to know the database name ("db_name" in this example) in priori. Is there anyway I can detect all the available database names that I can access? For instance, in Excel, whenever I click "Data->Import external data->new database query", there is a dialogue coming out with all the accessible database listed that I can hook up with. I am wondering how I can achieve this, I mean I can detect all the available and accessible database without knowing their names in advance (Backbone database builder is Oracle). =20 Thanks for the help. ...

Databases and Visual Basic
I have to produce a stock management system using MySQL and VB 6 by Thursday and at the moment I have got no where. Can anyone help as I cannot get it to display multiple lines of an order and allow each one to be manipulated separately; also I am trying to get it to look like ACT! whereby everything is run from one main form what is they best way to do this so that it will store relevant fields that need to be displayed on different frames and also look decent. Cheers for your help. A stock application by Thursday. Good luck - design, develop, and test in 4 days... May want t...

Access databases in VB6
Hi, Strange problem I use the code Sel_Version = CSng(DB.Version) for determing what version the database is. Version return an string. Sel_Version is declared as single. DB is a normal access database. On return I get on Win XP Sel_version = 4 and on Win98 and Win ME Sel_version = 40 while the true Version stands for 4.0. So on XP it is correct and in the 98 and ME windows it is not. Why Jan ...

HELP ACCESS DATABASE VB6 WITH WINE UNDER KUBUNTU ONNETWORK ACCESs
Greetings, and thankful for your replies. I have an application on vb6 +msaccess network accesing works with no problem on windows, but now i have a client machine with Kubuntu and wine, when running the program it gives an error that it cannot connect to the database, which is on another computer a network W2003Server, which means that the route code to \\server\files\db.mdb its not FOUND!! obviosly this under windows does work, but in linux with WINE cannot access to that route. I used mount cifs to make a mount point on my kubuntu PC for the database on the server over the ...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Access 97
From Access 2.0 you could click File, Import and import tables, queries, forms, reports, macros & modules from other databases. I don't see that facility in Access 97. Was it dropped? On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:54:32 -0400, MLH wrote: > From Access 2.0 you could click File, Import > and import tables, queries, forms, reports, > macros & modules from other databases. > > I don't see that facility in Access 97. Was it > dropped? File + Get External Data + Import -- Fred Please only reply to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal email. Thanks, Fred ...

Web resources about - Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database - comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...

Microsoft's SQL Server Database Is Heading to Linux
Next year, Microsoft plans to release a version of its hybrid-cloud-friendly database software for the open-source operating system.