Getting caption/text from foreign application

Hi,
I searched this and some other forums but still have an open issue:
How can I get the text or caption of a foreign application's
message/dialog/form etc?

I would like to have the following functionality:
1. I run the vb code.
2. Click on an object.
3. Its caption/text is copied to the clipboard (so I can paste in in
other place, e.g. text editor), or thrown into a textbox.

The object I click on can be one of the following (all in the foriegn
app that was written with Visual C++):
1. A messagebox.
2. A caption of a button.
3. A text of an item of a list/combo.
4. Other captions/texts of other controls put on a form.

I guess I first need to get the "active"/"selected"/"clicked" control
hWnd.
Then I have to get its caption/text.
Then copy to clipboard/txtbox.

I saw a snippet showing how to get the hWnd of an active window of a
foriegn app. I have no idea how to implement it here...

Any ideas?

Thx,
Steph.

On 8 Aug 2004 12:19:57 -0700, stephjohn13@hotmail.com (Steph) wrote:

>Hi,
>I searched this and some other forums but still have an open issue:
>How can I get the text or caption of a foreign application's
>message/dialog/form etc?
>
>I would like to have the following functionality:
>1. I run the vb code.
>2. Click on an object.
>3. Its caption/text is copied to the clipboard (so I can paste in in
>other place, e.g. text editor), or thrown into a textbox.
>
>The object I click on can be one of the following (all in the foriegn
>app that was written with Visual C++):
>1. A messagebox.
>2. A caption of a button.
>3. A text of an item of a list/combo.
>4. Other captions/texts of other controls put on a form.
>
>I guess I first need to get the "active"/"selected"/"clicked" control
>hWnd.
>Then I have to get its caption/text.
>Then copy to clipboard/txtbox.
>
>I saw a snippet showing how to get the hWnd of an active window of a
>foriegn app. I have no idea how to implement it here...

Option Explicit

' Add one Timer

Private Type POINTAPI
        X As Long
        Y As Long
End Type
Private Declare Function GetCursorPos _
        Lib "user32" _
        (lpPoint As POINTAPI) As Long

Private Declare Function WindowFromPoint _
        Lib "user32" _
        (ByVal xPoint As Long, _
         ByVal yPoint As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function GetClassName _
        Lib "user32" _
        Alias "GetClassNameA" _
        (ByVal hwnd As Long, _
          ByVal lpClassName As String, _
          ByVal nMaxCount As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA"
( _
     ByVal hwnd As Long, _
     ByVal wMsg As Long, _
     ByVal wParam As Long, _
     lParam As Any) As Long

Private Const WM_GETTEXT = &HD

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Timer1.Enabled = True
    Timer1.Interval = 500
End Sub

Private Function WindowInf() As String
    Dim Hnd As Long, Buff$, Q&
    Dim PT As POINTAPI

    GetCursorPos PT
    Hnd = WindowFromPoint(PT.X, PT.Y)

    WindowInf = Str$(Hnd)
    ' ---
    Buff$ = Space$(255)
    Q& = GetClassName(Hnd, Buff$, Len(Buff$))
    WindowInf = WindowInf + ":" + Left$(Buff$, Q)
    ' ---
    Q& = SendMessage(Hnd, WM_GETTEXT, Len(Buff$), ByVal Buff$)
    WindowInf = WindowInf + ":" + Left$(Buff$, Q)
    Text1.Text = Left$(Buff$, 10)

End Function

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    Me.Caption = WindowInf
End Sub

0
erewhon (1218)
8/9/2004 5:40:57 AM
Thx for the cool&quick solution.
Still, it lacks an option to automatically copying the text to the
clipboard (so I can paste it in a later time). Let's say, a left mouse
button click should copy the string to the clipboard.

thx,
Steph.

On 9 Aug 2004 02:50:46 -0700, stephjohn13@hotmail.com (Steph) wrote:

>Thx for the cool&quick solution.
>Still, it lacks an option to automatically copying the text to the
>clipboard (so I can paste it in a later time). Let's say, a left mouse
>button click should copy the string to the clipboard.

Use a WindowsHotKey for that

Clicking around on somebody else's application is not good news

If you really want to copy chunks of text, then a slightly different
method is needed

If say, you mark some HTML and want to grab it, then you need to pump
[Ctl C] into the keyboard using KeybdEvent

Best post what you are really after, the chances are that somebody has
a solution
0
erewhon (1218)
8/9/2004 12:31:22 PM
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:31:22 +0000 (UTC), erewhon@nowhere.com (J
French) wrote:

>On 9 Aug 2004 02:50:46 -0700, stephjohn13@hotmail.com (Steph) wrote:
>
>>Thx for the cool&quick solution.
>>Still, it lacks an option to automatically copying the text to the
>>clipboard (so I can paste it in a later time). Let's say, a left mouse
>>button click should copy the string to the clipboard.
>
>Use a WindowsHotKey for that
>
>Clicking around on somebody else's application is not good news
>
>If you really want to copy chunks of text, then a slightly different
>method is needed
>
>If say, you mark some HTML and want to grab it, then you need to pump
>[Ctl C] into the keyboard using KeybdEvent
>
>Best post what you are really after, the chances are that somebody has
>a solution

I have a piece of old code that grabs everything copied and dumps them
to an RTB. I wrote it a long time ago for when i was surfing the net a
lot for info and got sick of going back and forth between notepad and
the various open explorer windows. With this, you still have to
highlight and copy (CTRL+INS is my preference, thumb & mid finger),
but the grabber will then take it and empty the clipboard...IIRCC. :)
Anyway, if the op, or anyone wants it, email me (no xxxx) and i'll
send off the project file. Or i can post it here, but i can't recall
how big it was, or how ugly it was.. or even where it is at the moment
as i've just got a new PC.

--

Regards, Frank
0

I would like to have the following functionality:
1. I run the vb code.
2. Click on an object (message, control's caption, list item text, etc
- of a foreign application).
3. Its caption/text is copied to the clipboard (so I can paste it tn
other place, e.g. text editor).

What do you mean by WindowsHotKey ?

Steph.

erewhon@nowhere.com (J French) wrote in message news:<41176c01.112746479@news.btclick.com>...
> On 9 Aug 2004 02:50:46 -0700, stephjohn13@hotmail.com (Steph) wrote:
>
> >Thx for the cool&quick solution.
> >Still, it lacks an option to automatically copying the text to the
> >clipboard (so I can paste it in a later time). Let's say, a left mouse
> >button click should copy the string to the clipboard.
>
> Use a WindowsHotKey for that
>
> Clicking around on somebody else's application is not good news
>
> If you really want to copy chunks of text, then a slightly different
> method is needed
>
> If say, you mark some HTML and want to grab it, then you need to pump
> [Ctl C] into the keyboard using KeybdEvent
>
> Best post what you are really after, the chances are that somebody has
> a solution
You'll need to call SetCapture so that mouse clicks generated when clicking
outside your app raise a rodent event in your app. The caption of the window
or contents of a textbox/richtextbox is easy ... GetCursorPos() returns the
cursor position (not surprisingly given its name), and GetWindowFromPoint
returns the hwnd of the window at a particular point on the screen - here
the result of GetCursorPos. Then either GetWindowText or SendMessage with
the EM_GETTEXT message retrieves the data.  You could also place the code in
a timer firing at about 250-500 and use that instead of a mouse click to
read the info under the current mouse position.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

:
[...]

Thx, I'll try it.

Steph.

"Randy Birch" <rgb_removethis@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<XmQRc.2338$6Lf1.2130@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> You'll need to call SetCapture so that mouse clicks generated when clicking
> outside your app raise a rodent event in your app. The caption of the window
> or contents of a textbox/richtextbox is easy ... GetCursorPos() returns the
> cursor position (not surprisingly given its name), and GetWindowFromPoint
> returns the hwnd of the window at a particular point on the screen - here
> the result of GetCursorPos. Then either GetWindowText or SendMessage with
> the EM_GETTEXT message retrieves the data.  You could also place the code in
> a timer firing at about 250-500 and use that instead of a mouse click to
> read the info under the current mouse position.
>
> --
>
> Randy Birch
> MVP Visual Basic
> http://vbnet.mvps.org/
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so all can benefit.
>

> "Steph" <stephjohn13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : Hi,
> : I searched this and some other forums but still have an open issue:
> : How can I get the text or caption of a foreign application's
> : message/dialog/form etc?
> :
> : I would like to have the following functionality:
> : 1. I run the vb code.
> : 2. Click on an object.
> : 3. Its caption/text is copied to the clipboard (so I can paste in in
> : other place, e.g. text editor), or thrown into a textbox.
> :
> : The object I click on can be one of the following (all in the foriegn
> : app that was written with Visual C++):
> : 1. A messagebox.
> : 2. A caption of a button.
> : 3. A text of an item of a list/combo.
> : 4. Other captions/texts of other controls put on a form.
> :
> : I guess I first need to get the "active"/"selected"/"clicked" control
> : hWnd.
> : Then I have to get its caption/text.
> : Then copy to clipboard/txtbox.
> :
> : I saw a snippet showing how to get the hWnd of an active window of a
> : foriegn app. I have no idea how to implement it here...
> :
> : Any ideas?
> :
> : Thx,
> : Steph.

Visual Basic for Applications
I don't want any part of the previous discussion on Visual Basic versus Visual Basic.Net. My query is about using Visual Basic for Applications; and whether it is better to use Visual Basic 6 or Visual Basic.Net as a springboard for studying VBA. I use Office 2000 and would like to use VBA as a tool to customize it. I have zero programming experience. I would like to read through and work on the examples of a beginners books (Dummies/Idiots/Absolute begginers or whatever) on either Visual Basic 6 or Visual Basic.Net before I delve into VBA itself. Has MicroSoft indicated whether or not they are changing the background of future versions of Office VBA from VB6 to VB.Net? "AK" <cwok@aol.com> wrote in message news:db6e6aa1.0402151926.4058a7a3@posting.google.com... > My query is about using Visual Basic for Applications; and whether it > is better to use Visual Basic 6 or Visual Basic.Net as a springboard > for studying VBA. VB6 is definitely the better springboard, but see the comment in the next paragraph. The.NET 'thing' is called VB, but is really quite a different language in many respects to 'classic' VB and certainly NOT relevant to VBA. Why do you need to use VB as a springboard? - VBA works within a development environment very similar to the VB one, except you can't create ActiveX components or 'independent' executables. > Has MicroSoft indicated whether or not they are changing the > background of ...

Visual Objects compared to Visual Basic and Visual C.
Who can explain me why I have to use VO instead of VB or VC? OR is is there no difference? With kind regards Rob van der Ploeg Rob, Every language has his (dis)advantages. The ones you mention are all wrappers around the Win32 API. VO is a very nice and easy language compared to VC. Data-access is famous with VO, but also memorymanagement, the cargage collector, ragged array's. and the result is fast and reliable code. You do not have to declare every variable if you do not want to. (but you will) Comparing to VB is VO a real OOP langangue where VB is not. You can write your own classes, inherit classes from VO classes or from your own classes, Overide methods, use both strong and loose typed variables, write early and late bound code VO comes with a SDK containing the sourcecode of the part of VO written in VO (almost everything except f.i. the compiler) With VO you get this newsgroup, where almost every question is answered within hours. VO has a prof. usergroup in the netherlands, check www.sdgn.nl. with very often very well organised conferences. I think it is the best organised usergroup in the world. VO is limitted to the Win32 api. A .NET version is announced, but withoot a releasedate yet. More inforrmation about VO can be found at www.cavo.com regards, Erik "Mobi-Data Helpdesk" <info@direcom.nl> schreef in bericht news:1070360435.358105@tbird.introweb.nl... > Who can explain me why I have to use...

printing a text file in visual basic
I want to make a simple visual basic program that will print a text file when I run it. This will allow me to just click and icon and the default printer will print this text file. Can this be done in visual basic with the print method? Thanks Start a new standard exe project Remove the form Add a module Right click the project & select Sub Main as the Startup Object In the module, add Sub Main In Sub Main, load the desired file into a string variable Then use the Printer object's Print & EndDoc methods Now compile the project & put a shortcut on your desktop or taskbar "Joe Blo" <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e8fde247.0407082107.24f86f78@posting.google.com... > I want to make a simple visual basic program that will print a text > file when I run it. This will allow me to just click and icon and the > default printer will print this text file. Can this be done in visual > basic with the print method? Thanks ...

visual basic program to manipulate text
Would someone be able to write me the code to do the following? I am a complete novice so would appreciate simplicity and explaination where appropriate. I have to produce a visual basic program to manipulate text using a menu: A user will be able to type in some text and choose one of the following options from a menu: 1)change to upper case 2)change to lower case 3)count the letters The results of each action should be displayed appropriately. If anyone can spare me the time it would really be appreciated, Thanks. nymrod1@gmail.com wrote: > Would someone be able to write me the code to do the following? I am a > complete novice so would appreciate simplicity and explaination where > appropriate. > > I have to produce a visual basic program to manipulate text using a > menu: > > A user will be able to type in some text and choose one of the > following options from a menu: > > 1)change to upper case > 2)change to lower case > 3)count the letters > > The results of each action should be displayed appropriately. > > If anyone can spare me the time it would really be appreciated, > Thanks. Sounds like home work so let's start with pointers ... 1) Look up the UCASE Function. 2) Look up the LCASE Function. 3) Use the output from one of the above then you can either ... A. Use the Replace$ function to remove all nonalpha chars and the answer is the strings Len() B. Loop the length of the string checki...

Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic
Hi folks, I have to write a Visual Basic 6.0 Program and need to uniquely identify a computer in a network and the user mustn't be able to change that id while my program is running. So the Volume Serial Number of the HDD isn't a possibility, because you can set the Volume SN whatever you want and therefore it's not unique in a Network. I heard that there's a manufacturer's Serial Number on the HDD that can't be changed and that is unique (worldwide?). How can I get that SN with VB6? Or do you have any other ideas? Like a BIOS SN? Thanks a lot in advance, Michael PS: Answer in German is ok. On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:38:13 +0100, "Michael Wittmann" <e0026159@stud3.tuwien.ac.at> wrote: >Hi folks, > >I have to write a Visual Basic 6.0 Program and need to uniquely identify a >computer in a network and the user mustn't be able to change that id while my >program is running. So the Volume Serial Number of the HDD isn't a possibility, >because you can set the Volume SN whatever you want and therefore it's not >unique in a Network. I heard that there's a manufacturer's Serial Number on the >HDD that can't be changed and that is unique (worldwide?). How can I get that SN >with VB6? Or do you have any other ideas? Like a BIOS SN? I've tried the Disk Serial number stuff, I think it is called SMART - it does not work on one of my older disks You could get the MAC address from the network c...

printing a text file from visual basic
I want to make a simple visual basic program that will print a text file when I run it. This will allow me to just click and icon and the default printer will print this text file. Can this be done in visual basic with the print method? Thanks http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vbcode/html/vbtskCodeExamplePrintingTextFile.asp GOOGLE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE "Joe Blo" <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e8fde247.0407082106.13a95501@posting.google.com... > I want to make a simple visual basic program that will print a text > file when I run it. This will allow me to just click and icon and the > default printer will print this text file. Can this be done in visual > basic with the print method? Thanks On 8 Jul 2004 22:06:53 -0700, techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) wrote: >I want to make a simple visual basic program that will print a text >file when I run it. This will allow me to just click and icon and the >default printer will print this text file. Can this be done in visual >basic with the print method? Thanks > The poor man's printjob : Call ShellExecute(0,"print",fileName,vbnullstring,vbnullstring,0) If that's not your ticket, look up "open", "line input" and "printer.print" -- Regards, Frank FYI The link below is for VB.NET code. -- HK "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message news:10escq7g3blc01...

How to position CAPTION text in @... get listbox ...
How does one control the position of the text for the CAPTION in a @... GET ... LISTBOX command? Thanks, Ted "Ted" <ted.kobayashi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1189708588.978499.87430@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > How does one control the position of the text for the CAPTION in a > @... GET ... LISTBOX command? > > Thanks, > > Ted > Hi Ted, You only need to send the CapRow and CapCol where you want the caption to be located. However, there appears to be an error in xHarbour. Try the following program and you will see that it has some strange behaviors in xHarbour. Use the mouse and select various days for the two picklist and you will notice that it starts to show the variable number to the right of the picklist. In addition, the Send CapCol doesn't do anything. The program works correctly in Clipper although you have to use v5.3 because listbox isn't defined in v5.2. I'm using Windows XP and BCC55. //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include "Inkey.ch" Procedure Main LOCAL nDay:=1, nPot:=1, ; aDays:= {"Sun", "Mon", "Tue", "Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat"} SET EVENTMASK TO INKEY_ALL CLS AltD() @ 3,5 say "Press [Alt] and Highlighted letter moves to that Get" @ 5, 15, 14, 19; GET nDay ; LISTBOX aDays ; DROPDOWN ; GUISEND Message:= "Pick a...

How to get text from non Clarion application
Hello, I would like to add monitoring funcionality to my Clarion application. Do you have any idea how to get text during writting text into any standard windows text fields for instance in Notepad or Outlook or similar Windows application? Petr ...

build and modify installer of application in visual basic
Hi: I have to build and simple application in visual basic to test some functions about keep licenses, check licencses...etc but this I have to do when the application installs, I tried to do an application that do 1+1 i.e and add the visual stuido installer, and tried to modify this installer and add the license functions. The problem is that this option I see very difficult and I don=B4t see the code of the installer anywhere in the visual studio. The aim is build the most simply test application to test the licenses functions when the application installs. Any idea? Regards By "visual stuido installer" you mean the one that comes with VB.Net? This is the wrong group. This group is plain VB. You want one with "dotnet" in the name. You might also try: microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi An MSI install can use so-called "custom actions", which means you can embed EXEs, scripts, etc. into the MSI and call them for extra things you want to do that MSI (Windows Installer) doesn't cover. It sounds like a custom action is what you want, but that's really an MSI question. ---------------- I have to build and simple application in visual basic to test some functions about keep licenses, check licencses...etc but this I have to do when the application installs, I tried to do an application that do 1+1 i.e and add the visual stuido installer, and tried to modify this installer and add the license functions. The problem is that th...

The visual basic for Applications project in the database is corrupt
Hi, Access 2003. Running over terminal server on a Windows Server 2003 box. The error occurs on every machine that I've tried copying the file to. Latest Jet SP & Office SP. Database hasn't been converted. A mixture of modules, forms, linking tables & temp. tables at the access end. Exporting to a new database doesn't work (same error). Importing from a new database doesn't work (same error). Trying to open any form or module in code view is impossible (same error). Permission are set at HKLM/Soft.../Micros.../Office/XX [version] for everyone to full control. Can anyone help? I'm not fussed about the data - but we spent two full days and nights work on code modules- and made no record of the development process. I'd love to get that work back if possible. - Good "de-corruption" tool? - Any way of getting to the code (splitting the vb parts out of the mdb?) We haven't backed up the database recently enough to merely roll back. Yes - it is our own fault. We'll be backing up daily rather than twice weekly now. Thanks, Nick Stansbury Analyst, Sage Partners On Jul 15 2004, 05:57 am, "Nick Stansbury" <nickDOTstansbury@sage- partners.com> wrote in news:cd5k3h$3gk$2@phys-news-1.nl.colt.net: > - Any way of getting to the code (splitting the vb parts out of the > mdb?) > Did you try SaveAsText? If that fails, which I think is likely, try pksolutions.com. -- remove a ...

Get Free Visual Basic e-books!
Check this blog! http://freebooks2007.blogspot.com it's updated every weeks.. feel free on this blog! thanks ...

Cant get text from another VB application
Hello everybody, I am trying to get text from another application window written in VB6. The window have 3 text boxes with some text in them. The second VB6 application expect to get the contents of the 3 text boxes using the "sendmessage". The WM_GETTEXTLENGTH returns "8" and the returned text from WM_GETTEXT is the Window title (8 chars) with the last character truncated, as i was expecting the contents of the text boxes.. (code below).. Any idea ??? Thanks for any answer. ================================== Const WM_GETTEXT = &HD Const WM_GETTEXTLENGTH = &HE Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" _ (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, _ ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long Dim Buffer As String Dim lSize As Long Dim lRet As Long lSize = SendMessage(hwnd, WM_GETTEXTLENGTH, 0&, ByVal 0&) Buffer = String(lSize + 1, 0) lRet = SendMessage(hwnd, WM_GETTEXT, lSize, ByVal Buffer) If lRet > 0 Then Buffer = Left$(Buffer, lRet) End If =================================== "Dudule" <nivu@niconnu.com> wrote in message news:4481a8f2$0$12741$636a55ce@news.free.fr... > The WM_GETTEXTLENGTH returns "8" and the returned text > from WM_GETTEXT is the Window title (8 chars) with the last > character truncated, as i was expecting the contents of the text boxes You seem to be using the handle (hwnd) of the Form window, which will get you it's Capti...

number handling capabilities for visual basic applications
i am thinking of writing several mathematics applications that may be freely downloaded from the internet by users. i was wondering what the number handling was like in visual basic. some of these applications ,more specifically a prime number searcher, and a gcd/lcm calculator, require very large integer handling and display. i have used other languages and their number handling limits mean that they start to round numbers off when they get to the sort of 1000 billion mark or something. i was very impressed by a java application i once used that was seemingly limitless in the size of integers it could handle. java has something called 'big integer' or something that allows huge integer handling. does visual basic have anything similar? what are the limits to visual basics number handling? probably the wrong place to ask, but is it possible to write downloadable applications in java? thanks Jeremy Watts wrote: >i am thinking of writing several mathematics applications that may be freely >downloaded from the internet by users. > >i was wondering what the number handling was like in visual basic. some of >these applications ,more specifically a prime number searcher, and a gcd/lcm >calculator, require very large integer handling and display. > >i have used other languages and their number handling limits mean that they >start to round numbers off when they get to the sort of 1000 billion mark or >something. > >i was ve...

GW BASIC to Visual Basic
I had done programnming in GW BASIC and Assembly 10 years back, when I was in school. Later, I learnt C,C++, Core Java and COBOL. Will my knowledge of BASIC hold me in good stead while learning Visual Basic? Is there a resemblance between the two? On 2 Mar 2005 21:11:59 -0800, "cat_dog_ass" <icon_iconoclast@hotmail.com> wrote: >I had done programnming in GW BASIC and Assembly 10 years back, when I >was in school. Later, I learnt C,C++, Core Java and COBOL. Will my >knowledge of BASIC hold me in good stead while learning Visual Basic? >Is there a resemblance between the two? A resemblance? Well, sure, they both look like Microsoft BASIC. Will knowing the one help with the other? Actually, the differences between GWB and VB are so big that you'll be learning a totally new language that reminds you of one you already know. If you learn VB.Net you might find that it also reminds you of C++ and/or Java. -- auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com ***** If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. "cat_dog_ass" <icon_iconoclast@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1109826719.850575.113070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > I had done programnming in GW BASIC and Assembly 10 years > back, when I was in school . . . will my knowledge of BASIC hold > me in good stead while learning Visual Basic? If you're talking about VB6 then then answer is Yes. Much of the syntax of the language is almost iden...

Visual Basic: Reading Text File Problem
Hi, I'm in need of some ideas or help. Here's what's up. I've got a text file with three columns (separated by commas) with data. eg: ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC 553456 1 7 123456 1 7 123456 1 5 123456 1 2 857456 1 1 I can read this in fine, but what I want to achieve is output this to another text file (instantaneously if possible) like: ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC 553456 1 7 123456 3 14 857456 1 1 so where column A has the same number as the previous or the next line then they need to be grouped and totaled up. I would rather have it so it reads in the file and outputs the file rather than entering the info into an array etc. Thanks "Syed" <lepon@lineone.net> wrote in message <news:131d1097.0311261358.3e9ae399@posting.google.com>... > I've got a text file with three columns (separated by commas) with > data. > > eg: > > ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC > 553456 1 7 > 123456 1 7 > 123456 1 5 > 123456 1 2 > 857456 1 1 > > I can read this in fine, but what I want to achieve is output this to > another text file (instantaneously if possible) like: > > ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC > 553456 1 7 > 123456 3 14 > 857456 1 1 > > so where column A has the same numb...

Get output from Java Class called from Visual Basic
I am using VB 6.0, and need to call a Java class. It is exposed through command line arguements but I can't seem to get the output back. Does anyone have some basic code to help me do this? My current attempt was using a batch file, but I can't get the java code's return code. Thank you, Matt mhust6@gmail.com wrote: > I am using VB 6.0, and need to call a Java class. It is exposed > through command line arguements but I can't seem to get the output > back. Does anyone have some basic code to help me do this? My current > attempt was using a batch file, but I can't get the java code's return > code. > If you run your Java class by itself, does it print its result in the console? (Is it printing to StdOut?) If so, pipe the Java class result to a file, and read the file content when returning from your batch file. I.e: java -cp.;c:\yourpath YourClass > result.txt -- Dag. ...

The Visual Basic for Applications Project in the database is corrupt #2
Can anyone please help? I have read the postings on the error "The Visual Basic for Applications Project in the database is corrupt" but none report the particular problem I am experiencing, i.e., this error only occurs running my program on computers of some of my clients. To elaborate: I have a program that is being used by around 60 clients all over the world. My program is an mde file in Access2003. It works absolutely without hitch on the 5 computers in our office (running Windows XP), and on all but 3 of my clients. The program is "free-standing", i.e., not running via a network/server. However the same program installed on 3 of my clients' computers results in this error when they start the program. They have reinstalled the program, I have sent them a new installation, (following decompiling and recompiling the program) but to no avail. The same installation package installed on my systems, and on a new laptop, runs perfectly correctly. Any ideas? Thanks Harris Is it possible that these clients are running Access 2002? Although A20002 and 2003 use the same file format, they compile the code differently, and you do get that (not very helpful) error message if you create an MDE in A2003 and try to run it under A2002. If that's not the issue, is this a runtime installation? If so, you may need to release different runtimes for different operating systems, e.g. one for Windows 98 machines (created on a Win98 installation) and a differen...

converting access 2002 application to visual basic.net
I have an access 2002 application with a considerable amount of visual basic for applications behind it. I would like to recreat the application in visual basic.net. Is there an easy way to import all the forms and supporting visual basic code into visual basic.net? Or do I have to create new forms from scratch and copy and paste the VB code? Any advice / help would be appreciated ...

multiline TEXT in Visual Basic .Net 2003 tabs
I'm currently working on a form that uses a tab page. One of the tabs consists of the words "preventative maintenance" now as you can see these words aren't exactly small and they are preventing me from using a consistant size form on the entire project. I thought it would be easy to have it make the words multiline however I can't find the control to do it. The only thing I have found is the control to have multiple LINES of tabs not multiple lines of text PER tab. Does anyone have any advice? ...

i get java.lang.ClassNotFoundException wher i run my application from JWS
Hi all I have a Java application that i intent to use as a JWS app. non whenever i start the application from JWS, i get ClassNotFoundException eventhough the jar where the class resides is downloaded by JWS but if i run normally using java.exe on the command line it runs smoothly and i don't have the exception. The exception seems to come from the following line Class clazz = Class.forName(className, false, ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader()); is it because i am using ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader? i don't understand why it runs from the command line normally but not from JWS, ...

[News] 'Visual Basic on Linux' Gets Better
RealBasic platform gets introspection and eyes the Web ,----[ Overview ] | The cross-platform application development tool supports Windows, Mac, and | Linux OSes and offers a similar environment to Visual Basic `---- http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/15/real-basic_1.html Related: First Look: REALbasic 2007 Gets Linux Support ,----[ Quote ] | The Linux standard version is currently free, while the Linux professional | version costs $500. The Windows/Mac standard version goes for $200 and the | professional version sells for $500.   `---- http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?...

Can someone suggest text books for Visual Basic.Net
I am the beginner of all beginners in Visual Basic.Net 2003. I'm looking for two types of books. One specifically directed towards beginners and one that shows examples of code for different types of applications. Especially code that shows you how to do most of the processing on the SQL Server to enhance speed of the application. Any help would be appreciated. Also any web sites that could help a beginner would be useful to know. Thanks in advance, have a great weekend. rds PS Any good books on crystal reports or SQL server would also be useful. Checkout the Microsoft Press books and ones published by Sybex too. I have Visual Basic.Net for Access Databases and it's very informative, you might also see if you can find some of the Wrox Press books, Wrox Press is now defunct, but someone said they were bought out on certain titles. If you have a college around you and a campus bookstore, checkout Course Technology books for students and instructors. http://www.sybex.com http://www.course.com HTH Michael ...

easiest way to send an e-mail from visual basic application?
I have an application where I need it to send an e-mail occasionally. I am looking for easiest solution to perform this. I don't mind if it uses outlook to the send the e-mail. Perhaps a function or module I can call where I simply enter my message text, SMTP server and destination e-mail address into a few variables. Thanks Put a button on a form and paste the following code: =============================================== Option Explicit: DefInt A-Z Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "ShellExecuteA" ( _ ByVal hWnd As Long, _ ByVal lpOperation As String, _ ByVal lpFile As String, _ ByVal lpParameters As String, _ ByVal lpDirectory As String, _ ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long Private Sub Command1_Click() ShellExecute Me.hWnd, _ "Open", _ "MailTo:someone@company.com?CC=another@company.com&Subject=Cool Beans&BODY=Do you like Beans?", _ vbNullString, _ vbNullString, _ vbNormalFocus End Sub =============================================== Clicking the button will create an empty e-mail using the user's default e-mail program with the subject "Cool Beans" Depending on the e-mail program you can also use "CC=", "BCC=", "BODY=" Hope this helps, Johan. <techman41973@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht news:1112764156.800700.180330@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I have an application wh...

Proposed JPG view/OCR application
I've programmed a bit in Delphi and Visual C++, but don't do it often enough to prevent me from having to go up the learning curve each time I try a project. This next one I'd like to try because I scan a lot of my mail, e.g. tax statements, VISA statements, insurance forms, etc. for archiving. I'd like to make an app that will allow me to go through a set of scanned images, JPG or BMP most likely, and select fields that will automatically name them and move them to a desired folder. E.g. for input I would have a combo box for the document type/name (linked to a list for destination folders), e.g. "Citibank Visa", a spin control for the year and another 2 for "page n of x", finally radio buttons for the month. The resulting file name would be something like "2005-03 Citibank VISA p01_of_03.jpg". I don't imagine any of that would be difficult. So I'd like a large viewing window up top with a zoom box in case I couldn't read something, along with "restore" or "zoom out" functions. I might also like to specify a window (by drawing a box) that would call an OCR library, so that I could extract text/numbers to the clipbord, e.g. to paste into Excel or Quicken. I think everything's pretty much built into VB but not sure about the OCR thing. Anyone done anything like this? <midicad2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1110775524.047370.74020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I thin...

Web resources about - Getting caption/text from foreign application - comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Webscale offers a fast track to delivering web applications
Running an application or server in the cloud has many advantages, but it doesn't guarantee scalability. It can be hard to predict demand, leading ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

Plimsoll Buys Stake In Magnify Media; BAFTA Scholarship Applications Open – Global Briefs
UK and U.S.-based factual entertainment and wildlife producer Plimsoll Productions has acquired a minority stake in specialist distributor Magnify ...

TSMC, MediaTek to co-develop products for IoT and wearable applications
... their commitment to a long-term partnership to continue developing innovative products for Internet of Things (IoT) and wearable device applications ...

App Annie Acquires Application Analyst AppScotch
With San Francisco-headquartered AppScotch, this marks App Annie's third acquisition in two years following the acquisition of Distimo and Mobidia. ...

Colorado Global EIR Program – Applications Open for 2016
Applications are open for the second group of Colorado Global Entrepreneurs in Residence. If you are interested in applying send a resume and ...