How do I free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting the OS?

I get an ERROR from windows98/Windows Explorer while attemping to
DELETE a DLL
from OS/Wimdows/System32.

The Error message is:
Error delete
Cannt delete myDLL.dll Access is denied.

1. I did exit/closed the application that uses the DLL.

2. I did regsvr32  /u StoreCreate.dll Successfully.

3. But, I CAN NOT DELETE the  DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS/System32
without restarting the OS.

I get an Error from Windows Explorer:

The Error message is:
Error delete
Cannt delete myDLL.dll Access is denied.

My Question is :

How do I free/delete  DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS  WITHOUT
RESTARTING the OS?

(sorry about typos, please  ignore typos)

0
hellone (17)

On 20 Oct 2006 01:35:23 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:

>I get an ERROR from windows98/Windows Explorer while attemping to
>DELETE a DLL
>from OS/Wimdows/System32.
>
>The Error message is:
>Error delete
>Cannt delete myDLL.dll Access is denied.

Windows does 'lazy unloading' of DLLs
- possibly you are running into that
- you could thrash the system, like load Word and IE

If you are running your App in the IDE, then it could be VB6 that is
hanging onto the DLL - I have run into that many times.

0
erewhon2 (1112)
10/20/2006 10:01:29 AM
Hi , J French
No, I'm not running the app from vb ide, I exited/closed it.
I still get windows os annoying message, while attemping to DELETE it.

J French wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2006 01:35:23 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:
>
> >I get an ERROR from windows98/Windows Explorer while attemping to
> >DELETE a DLL
> >from OS/Wimdows/System32.
> >
> >The Error message is:
> >Error delete
> >Cannt delete myDLL.dll Access is denied.
>
> Windows does 'lazy unloading' of DLLs
> - possibly you are running into that
> - you could thrash the system, like load Word and IE
>
> If you are running your App in the IDE, then it could be VB6 that is
> hanging onto the DLL - I have run into that many times.

0
hellone (17)
10/21/2006 7:32:44 AM
On 21 Oct 2006 00:32:44 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:

>Hi , J French
>No, I'm not running the app from vb ide, I exited/closed it.
>I still get windows os annoying message, while attemping to DELETE it.

Try opening a DOS Box
- maybe Explorer is not quite up to date

The other thing is to check that your closed App has really
disappeared from the Task List

0
erewhon2 (1112)
10/21/2006 8:14:11 AM
I did check my Task List, and the app doesn't appear on it.
My app is a web app using PWS manager.

I did exit/close pws and the DLL used in that app, "appears " to be in
my windows/os "memory".

Is there any Windows98 tool that I /can view/manage/end dll task/ dll
processes,
because the task manger doesn't show which dll's are in use, just app's
execs?

J French wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2006 00:32:44 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi , J French
> >No, I'm not running the app from vb ide, I exited/closed it.
> >I still get windows os annoying message, while attemping to DELETE it.
>
> Try opening a DOS Box
> - maybe Explorer is not quite up to date
>
> The other thing is to check that your closed App has really
> disappeared from the Task List

0
hellone (17)
10/21/2006 6:19:37 PM
On 21 Oct 2006 11:19:37 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:

>I did check my Task List, and the app doesn't appear on it.
>My app is a web app using PWS manager.

>I did exit/close pws and the DLL used in that app, "appears " to be in
>my windows/os "memory".

>Is there any Windows98 tool that I /can view/manage/end dll task/ dll
>processes,
>because the task manger doesn't show which dll's are in use, just app's
>execs?

I've not looked into the MS Personal Web Server  (I used O'Reilly when
I last did that type of stuff)

What type of DLL is this beast, is it an AX DLL ?

The other thing is why you need to replace it, is this so you can do
some form of 'live update', or is it simply driving you nuts while
developing?

Possibly I or someone else can think of a workaround.

0
erewhon2 (1112)
10/22/2006 6:46:12 AM
"thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote in message
>I did check my Task List, and the app doesn't appear on it.
> My app is a web app using PWS manager.
>
> I did exit/close pws and the DLL used in that app, "appears " to be in
> my windows/os "memory".

If PWS is anything like IIS, it runs as a service. That means that closing the
manager for PWS does *not* close down the web site at all. The web site is happy
to run on its own. Instead, you should be able to select the web site in the
manager, usually called Default Web Site, and click a stop button to shut it
down. See if that frees up the file.

0
mynamehere (1583)
10/22/2006 7:11:12 AM
Hi, J French

The type of DLL is ActiveX.DLL. Does it makes a difference?

"Why should I replace the dll",
because I'm I haven't found built in methods in ASP 2.0 that deal with
Uploading/Downloading binaries long types intofrom my db.
And I want to brush up my programming skills.

What's O'Reilly is it a small manger for ASP like MS - Personal Web
Server (or the mini version of IIS)?

Please send some web link to that thing O'Reilly.

J French wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2006 11:19:37 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:
>
> >I did check my Task List, and the app doesn't appear on it.
> >My app is a web app using PWS manager.
>
> >I did exit/close pws and the DLL used in that app, "appears " to be in
> >my windows/os "memory".
>
> >Is there any Windows98 tool that I /can view/manage/end dll task/ dll
> >processes,
> >because the task manger doesn't show which dll's are in use, just app's
> >execs?
>
> I've not looked into the MS Personal Web Server  (I used O'Reilly when
> I last did that type of stuff)
>
> What type of DLL is this beast, is it an AX DLL ?
>
> The other thing is why you need to replace it, is this so you can do
> some form of 'live update', or is it simply driving you nuts while
> developing?
>
> Possibly I or someone else can think of a workaround.

0
hellone (17)
10/22/2006 12:12:09 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes PWS runs as a "mini" service for IIS.
I did STOP the server manager/service by pushing the STOP button,
and only then I Exited it.

I also tried what I think you - or some else - here suggested to  run
the DOS box,
this "method" sometimes works and sometimes not.

I'm still stuck with this issue

Steve Gerrard wrote:
> "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote in message
> >I did check my Task List, and the app doesn't appear on it.
> > My app is a web app using PWS manager.
> >
> > I did exit/close pws and the DLL used in that app, "appears " to be in
> > my windows/os "memory".
> >

> If PWS is anything like IIS, it runs as a service. That means that closing the
> manager for PWS does *not* close down the web site at all. The web site is happy
> to run on its own. Instead, you should be able to select the web site in the
> manager, usually called Default Web Site, and click a stop button to shut it
> down. See if that frees up the file.

0
hellone (17)
10/22/2006 12:17:56 PM
On 22 Oct 2006 05:12:09 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:

>Hi, J French
>
>The type of DLL is ActiveX.DLL. Does it makes a difference?

It is worth knowing

>"Why should I replace the dll",
>because I'm I haven't found built in methods in ASP 2.0 that deal with
>Uploading/Downloading binaries long types intofrom my db.
>And I want to brush up my programming skills.

I don't understand that
- neither are a reason for frequently replacing a DLL

>What's O'Reilly is it a small manger for ASP like MS - Personal Web
>Server (or the mini version of IIS)?

It is a small Webserver called Website 1
- nothing to do with ASP

>Please send some web link to that thing O'Reilly.

One solution that I can think of is to replace the DLL with one DLL
calling another

The top level DLL will be 'locked', but you can make darn sure that
the one that does the work and is below it is freed.

0
erewhon2 (1112)
10/23/2006 5:52:11 AM
Hi, J French

> One solution that I can think of is to replace the DLL with one DLL
> calling another
>
> The top level DLL will be 'locked', but you can make darn sure that
> the one that does the work and is below it is freed.

I think I didn't understand your answer or you didn't understand my
question.
Your answer is complicated and not programetic elegant,
Sorry but, it's out of line.

There is no top level for the DLL. And it doesn't make logic.
Just a triviale Question for you:
If DLLOne.dll can't be free out the memory,
why should it be free if I call from DLLTwo.dll
{please don't answer this}

> >What's O'Reilly is it a small manger for ASP like MS - Personal Web
> >Server (or the mini version of IIS)?
>
> It is a small Webserver called Website 1

I looked into O'Reilly.Com to get info about the small Webserver  your
using,
and I can't find it.

WHERE can I DOWNLOAD and read on O'Reilly WEBSERVER?

J French wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2006 05:12:09 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi, J French
> >
> >The type of DLL is ActiveX.DLL. Does it makes a difference?
>
> It is worth knowing
>
> >"Why should I replace the dll",
> >because I'm I haven't found built in methods in ASP 2.0 that deal with
> >Uploading/Downloading binaries long types intofrom my db.
> >And I want to brush up my programming skills.
>
> I don't understand that
> - neither are a reason for frequently replacing a DLL
>
> >What's O'Reilly is it a small manger for ASP like MS - Personal Web
> >Server (or the mini version of IIS)?
>
> It is a small Webserver called Website 1
> - nothing to do with ASP
>
> >Please send some web link to that thing O'Reilly.
>
> One solution that I can think of is to replace the DLL with one DLL
> calling another
>
> The top level DLL will be 'locked', but you can make darn sure that
> the one that does the work and is below it is freed.

0
hellone (17)
10/23/2006 12:33:20 PM
On 22 Oct 2006 05:17:56 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:

>Yes PWS runs as a "mini" service for IIS.
>I did STOP the server manager/service by pushing the STOP button,
>and only then I Exited it.
>
>I'm still stuck with this issue
>How do I free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting
>the OS?

This is not a purely VB Classic issue - you may have better luck in some other
groups.

If your DLL is hosted on MTS, you're going to have to stop the MTS object in the
"Component Services". You may want to restart the DTC (Distributed Transaction
Coordinator) and PWS at the same time.

I'm not sure if Win '98 will allow you to restart services, because it doesn't
provide real service support.
_______________________
Michael B. Johnson
0
mjohnson (626)
10/23/2006 3:13:56 PM
Hi Michael B. Johnson,

So How do I DEFINE the issue in order to find the relevant group that
deals with this subject:

Michael B. Johnson wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2006 05:17:56 -0700, "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes PWS runs as a "mini" service for IIS.
> >I did STOP the server manager/service by pushing the STOP button,
> >and only then I Exited it.
> >
> >I'm still stuck with this issue
> >How do I free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting
> >the OS?
>
> This is not a purely VB Classic issue - you may have better luck in some other
> groups.
>
> If your DLL is hosted on MTS, you're going to have to stop the MTS object in the
> "Component Services". You may want to restart the DTC (Distributed Transaction
> Coordinator) and PWS at the same time.
>
> I'm not sure if Win '98 will allow you to restart services, because it doesn't
> provide real service support.
> _______________________
> Michael B. Johnson

0
hellone (17)
10/23/2006 10:42:50 PM
> Hi Michael B. Johnson,
>
> So How do I DEFINE the issue in order to find the relevant group that
> deals with this subject:
> free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting ?

I think Michael meant that you should look at ASP scripting sites, where someone
may have had a similar experience. If it is your ASP script that has loaded the
DLL, you should be able to shut down the web site and free it up.

In general, you won't be able to just force the OS to release a lock on a DLL;
it would create enough havoc in the system that you would almost certainly have
to reboot anyway. You can kill entire processes using Task Manager, but that
will often lead to a reboot as well.

0
mynamehere (1583)
10/24/2006 1:20:40 AM
"thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote in message
> Hi Michael B. Johnson,
>
> So How do I DEFINE the issue in order to find the relevant group that
> deals with this subject:
> free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting ?

For example, a quick search of Google Groups for
    ASP Scripting stuck DLL

produced:

<post>

ASP Component DLL stuck in memory

Posted Jun 10, 1998:

I have a VB generated asp component (activex dll)
I find that whenever I test it on my machine, when I go back
to VB, I am unable to compile a new build of the DLL.
It seems that my object is still in memory.
I have closed the browser that I used to access the component.
is there a way to get it out of memory, without restarting my machine?

</post>

Which sounds like the sort of thing you are encountering.

Have a look:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet/browse_frm/thread/878b712df995a928/797cb2746647b8fb

0
mynamehere (1583)
10/24/2006 2:02:39 AM
Hi, Steve Gerrard

Thanks for the search & link redirection.

Steve Gerrard wrote:
> "thisis" <hellone@ml1.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael B. Johnson,
> >
> > So How do I DEFINE the issue in order to find the relevant group that
> > deals with this subject:
> > free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting ?
> >

> For example, a quick search of Google Groups for
>     ASP Scripting stuck DLL
>
> produced:
>
> <post>
>
> ASP Component DLL stuck in memory
>
> Posted Jun 10, 1998:
>
> I have a VB generated asp component (activex dll)
> I find that whenever I test it on my machine, when I go back
> to VB, I am unable to compile a new build of the DLL.
> It seems that my object is still in memory.
> I have closed the browser that I used to access the component.
> is there a way to get it out of memory, without restarting my machine?
>
> </post>
>
> Which sounds like the sort of thing you are encountering.
>
> Have a look:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet/browse_frm/thread/878b712df995a928/797cb2746647b8fb

0
hellone (17)

Crash when restarting from OS 9 but not OS X
Hello! I have a beige G3/266 minitower that has been upgraded with a Sonnet G4/500 ZIF, Rev. B ROMs, two 120GB hard drives, 768MB RAM, and a Sonnet Tempo Trio FireWire/USB2 card. One hard drive is partitioned into two parts so as to allow OS X 10.2.6 to boot; the OS X partition is 7.9GB while the rest is allocated to OS 9 and applications. The system has been running fine for a year in OS X, but a few weeks ago I found the need to go back to OS 9 to run an old program. Booting into OS 9 works -- but restarting from there freezes the machine, whether I'm trying to boot back into ...

Enabling a Unix OS in dual boot config with a Windows OS to maintain a valid keytab in Active Directory without invalidating the Windows OS's domain trust relationship
Dear List, This information is aimed at sites for which all of the following apply: - Sites that are using Active Directory as a Kerberos KDC - Sites that have dual-boot configured machines running both a Linux and W= indows based OS with the same hostname - Sites that want to have a working Kerberos keytab on the Linux OS, but w= ithout invalidating the trust relationship between the Windows OS and Activ= e Directory. This problem may be old news or may not apply, but it can be solved with a = few steps: Problem/Background: If a keytab is constructed for the Linux OS (using mskt= util, ktpass etc), the password of the corresponding computer account is re= set in Active Directory in order for client and domain controller(s) to hav= e matching keys. This invalidates the Windows OS's password, which no longe= r matches the one stored in Active Directory. This results in the following= error when attempting to logon to the domain from the Windows OS: 'The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain fai= led' A Solution: Configure the Windows OS to use a password which matches that u= sed by the Linux OS (I used the NetJoinDomain function to do this). There i= s an increased security risk, in that the Windows OS can no longer periodic= ally update the key, but developing a custom key renewal system which does = not invalidate either OS's key might be an option. Steps: 1. Login as the local Administrator on the Windows OS 2. Disab...

Visual Basic and RISC OS
I'm currently studying for a Computing Degree with the Open University and need a little advice please. One of my next modules (if I chose it) could be "Designing Applications with Visual Basic". I know that VB is not availabe on RISC OS, but is it possible to take something designed in VB and re-compile to run on RISC OS? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards Col In message <484aa570-44b1-486b-a0f6-0d81cf707d34@x30g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com> Col Cartmell-Browne <cartmellbrowne@ukonline.co.uk> wrote: > I'm currently studying for a Computing ...

FREE OS/2 Warp Connect and OS/2 books
Sigh. OS/2 Warp Connect - all the disks, CDs, books/documentation that comes in the blue box. "IBM Getting to Know OS/2 Warp 4," ITSO (International Technical Support Organization", Stokes, Buecker, Friedrichs, Moroian, Schey, SG24-4758-00, ISBN 0-13-842147-1, Prentice Hall "Mastering OS/2 Warp", Peter Dyson, ISBN 0-7821-166-3-9, Sybex - missing Hobbes on CD-ROM "IBM's Official OS/2 Warp faQs", Kaply, Sipples & Kliewer, ISBN 1-56884-472-7, IBM Press Book published by IDG Books Worldwide, Inc. - includes CD "OS/2 Warp Administrator's Survival Guide", Kerr, Curran, et al., ISBN 0-672-30744-8, SAMS Publishing Will break up lot if you don't want all of it. Truth in Advertising - you pay for shipping, actual cost. Dan On Mar 7, 7:54 pm, kaliuzh...@verizon.net wrote: > Truth in Advertising - you pay for shipping, actual cost. I just got back in town from another 4-day trip to Indianapolis -- if no one else wants the lot, I'll take all (USPS Media Mail, right?), but as I have no actual *need* for any of it, another truly interested party can take all or part (I'd pick up leftovers). Rick Ekblaw On Mar 8, 9:28=A0pm, ekb...@vnet.ibm.com wrote: > On Mar 7, 7:54 pm, kaliuzh...@verizon.net wrote: > > Rick Ekblaw Noted, Rick. I'd really hate to throw these out but I need to downsize and have no need for them. Let's wait about a week. ...

Visual Basic 6 OS Deployment??
Can Visual Basic 6 object code run on all Windows OS ?? To be specific, will it run on all of these... Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win ME, Win 2000 Win XP? How can I find which of these it can be deployed to and possible problems to watch for? George George wrote: > Can Visual Basic 6 object code run on all Windows OS ?? To be > specific, will it run on all of these... Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, > Win ME, Win 2000 Win XP? I think ME can be a problem, but don't know (I've never targetted it). Depending on what the program does and what APIs it might use, it may (or may not) r...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which is root). I can suppress membership in the root group only by d= oing os.setgid and os.setuid before the os.system call (in which case I win= d up in the group of the new user instead of root), but I have to be able t= o get back to root privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. How do I ru= n a program from a Python script running as root such that the group member= ship of the process running the program does not include root? Am 25.03.2012 23:32, schrieb jeff: > After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in > any groups, just as you would expect... I can suppress > membership in the root group only by doing os.setgid and os.setuid > before the os.system call (in which case I wind up in the group of > the > new user instead of root), but I have to be able to get back to root > privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. Simply ...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

os.pipe() + os.fork()
--Sig_/DfRt9Dxw+_.=lNFY4dG045U Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a problem using os.pipe() together with os.fork(). Usually when the writing end of the pipe is closed, the reading end gets EOF. So subsequent attempts to read data will return an empty string. But when you call os.fork() after you have created a pipe using os.pipe(), and read data from the pipe in the child process, when the partent process has already closed the writing end, the reading end does not get EOF. Instead of the os.read() call in the child process is b...

Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"
When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 - Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have the video cartridge. I do not have a video tapedeck, and I never did: the tape has been played exactly once, when I let a friend view it (he later went with Windows anyay). I am offering this fine example of late 20th Century cinematic art FREE, GRATIS, for the cost of packing and shipping to your location. Although I have no way to verify its condition, I have no reason to think it is in anything its essentially virgin state. You would receive it, of course, as is. (Insert here the usual boilerplate disclaimers about such things as merchantability.) If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique, tell me so by sending me an email through the mailform on my website, which is at: <http://www.hashkedim.com/form.html>. -- Stan Goodman Qiryat Tiv'on Israel On Dec 2, 9:37 am, "Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOI...@some.domain> wrote: > When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give > a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people t...

os
hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what is the solution. prabeen <prabeen.subhasri@gmail.com> writes: > hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but > when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what > is the solution. Faster internet connection? It could honestly be 100 different things. Your question is not well constrained. -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net/ prabeen wrote: > hi friends, in our com...

OS
I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has any books about programming OSs and their selection in programming in general is rather slim. ANy suggestions? > I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ > was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to > start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has > any books about programming OSs and their selection i...

OS 9.2.2 Finder makes unwanted icon files without resources
I'm using OS 9.2.2 on a G4 MDD 2 x 1.25 GHz. Every time I create a new folder it gets an icon file without resources. It has no icon resources and no 'colm' resources that contain custom column information. If I delete the icon file, then it's not recreated. How can I stop the Finder of making these icon files? Cliff Huylebroeck wrote: > I'm using OS 9.2.2 on a G4 MDD 2 x 1.25 GHz. > Every time I create a new folder it gets an icon file without resources= =2E > It has no icon resources and no 'colm' resources that contain custom co= lumn > information....

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 6:18 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip...] > How many 30'something CTO's even know what VMS is? How many=20 > of their system > architects or programmers? After the .crash era, there are likely very few CTO's left in their 30's. Those folks are more likely back in the trenches doing mid level mgmt jobs. Hey, I a...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 10:52 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86D@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: >=20 > > for that matter. However, I know of two major Customers=20 > that wanted to > > convert OpenVMS applica...

[News] One More Free as in Free-to-do-anything OS is Born

Fonts from OS 9 to OS X?
I have a gazillion fonts on the OS 9 side of my iBook, that's I would like to have available for use in OS X. What do I have to do to make these fonts available to both operating systems on my iBook? TIA... +++++++++++++++++++++++++ H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world." --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)! To reply, just remove the restrictorplates... ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ In article <...

OS version (8i) - standby
Hello I have realize a standby database with oracle 8i. The Hardware are differents. The OS for the production database is Windows 2003 SP2. The standby database is under Windows 2003R2. Is there any problem to run production and standby under two same OS but differents release or not ? is Oracle dependant of the versionning ? For the moment I have tested and it works. But I prefer ask for experience. Thanks. Fabrice. Another information : The structure of oracle is the same for oracle and the standby. thanks. Fabrice wrote: > Hello > > I have realize a standby database with oracle 8i. > The Hardware are differents. > > The OS for the production database is Windows 2003 SP2. > The standby database is under Windows 2003R2. > > Is there any problem to run production and standby under two same OS but > differents release or not ? is Oracle dependant of the versionning ? > > For the moment I have tested and it works. But I prefer ask for > experience. > > Thanks. > Fabrice. On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:51:09 +0200, Fabrice <test@test.com> wrote: >Hello > >I have realize a standby database with oracle 8i. >The Hardware are differents. > >The OS for the production database is Windows 2003 SP2. >The standby database is under Windows 2003R2. > >Is there any problem to run production and standby under two same OS but >differents release or not ? is Oracle dependant of the versionning ? >...

A GUI OS: is not the OS of the 21st Century
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070707010808080603090606 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit The GUI is not the OS. Windos is wrong. Ballmer is wrong. Linux helps the new Browser, the mobile phone, to work better. J2ME, Linux and Eclipse are the workbench of the modern programmer. --------------070707010808080603090606 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="jabailo.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="jabailo.vcf" begin:vcard fn...

Linking OS 9 and OS X
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain information on how to link a PowerPC running under OS 9 with a laptop Powerbook G4 running under OS X10.3.3? I can see an ethernet socket on the old machine as well as on the laptop, so I'm hoping it can be done even though the machines are running two different systems. Thank you, Devi Jankowicz Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me where I can obtain information on how to link a > PowerPC running under OS 9 with a laptop Powerbook G4 running under OS > X10.3.3? I can see an ethernet socket on the old machine as well as on > the laptop, so I'm hoping it can be done even though the machines are > running two different systems. It can be done, but every time I do it I find it remarkably tricky. What I have found is this. First, hook the machines together via ethernet. Now on the OS 9 machine make sure that AppleTalk is on and that it is pointing out the Ethernet port. Now turn on File Sharing and (this is important) check the checkbox that allows connection via TCP/IP. Now on your Mac OS X machine's Location's Ethernet configuration, turn on AppleTalk. Now in the Finder hit command-K and you should be able to browse to see the OS 9 machine. If this doesn't work at first, try assigning both machines manual IP numbers. These can be 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2. m. -- matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/ AppleScript: The Definitive Guide ht...

how to switch from os.tmpnam to os.tmpfile
Hi, I need to create a temporary file and I need to retrieve the path of that file. os.tmpnam() would do the job quite well if it wasn't for the RuntimeWarning "tmpnam is a potential security risk to your program". I would like to switch to os.tmpfile() which is supposed to be safer, but I do not know how to get the path information from the file object returned by tmpfile(). any clues? thanks! - harold - Le Jeudi 08 Juin 2006 15:30, Harold Fellermann a =E9crit=A0: > to os.tmpfile() which is supposed to be safer, but I do not know how to > get > the path information ...

OS 9 fonts on OS X
I'm trying to add the OS 9 font "New York" to OS X (since it doesn't seem to exist anymore on OS X). I found the FFIL file for the font on OS 9 (/System Folder/Fonts/New York), and then tried to get OS X's Font Book application to add it to it's list of fonts. But it won't accept the font file, even though Font Book shows up as the default application for the FFIL file. How can I get OS X to use this font? Or is there some other way I can get New York font for OS X? I tried copying the New York FFIL file into /Library/Fonts, but as soon as I drag it in there, ...

RISC OS talking to Mac OS
More specifically, how can I get RISC OS 4 and Mac OS X talking on a network connection? David In article <20040623132055.13624.00000389@mb-m12.aol.com>, David Bradforth <dbproaction@aol.com> wrote: > More specifically, how can I get RISC OS 4 and Mac OS X talking on a > network connection? Talking? In what context? In article <20040623132055.13624.00000389@mb-m12.aol.com>, David Bradforth <dbproaction@aol.com> wrote: > More specifically, how can I get RISC OS 4 and Mac OS X talking on a > network connection? http://www.vigay.com/networking/osx.html...

Run OS X on OS X
I have a new G5 with 4GB of RAM. I have a G3 running WebStar and the machine is showing signs of age. I would like to move it to this new machine but also use this machine for development. I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS X instance. Thoughts? -Jason jason.slack@gmail.com (Slack) writes: >I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate >instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS >X instance. Sorry, I'm not familiar with webstar, ...

Does os.getcwd() and os.curdir have the same effect ?
Does os.getcwd() and os.curdir have the same effect ? On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 06:22:09 -0700, iMath wrote: > Does os.getcwd() and os.curdir have the same effect ? You could answer that yourself with two seconds experimentation at the interactive prompt. py> os.getcwd() '/home/steve' py> os.curdir '.' For more information, you can try reading the Fine Manual: http://docs.python.org/library/os.html#os.getcwd http://docs.python.org/library/os.html#os.curdir In case it isn't obvious: no, they are completely different. os.getcwd is a function which returns the path of the current working directory. os.curdir is a string which the operating system will understand to mean "this directory". -- Steven On 09/09/2012 03:22 PM, iMath wrote: > Does os.getcwd() and os.curdir have the same effect ? > Python 3.2.3 (default, May 3 2012, 15:51:42) [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> import os >>> os.getcwd() '/home/tjol' >>> os.curdir '.' >>> No. Both refer to the current directory, but os.curdir is not an absolute path, so you can't chdir() to it later and expect to land it the original directory. On Sunday, September 9, 2012 9:39:28 PM UTC+8, Thomas Jollans wrote: > On 09/09/2012 03:22 PM, iMath wrote: > Does os.g...

Web resources about - How do I free/delete DLL/Resource from Windows98/OS without restarting the OS? - comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

American realities for Iraqi refugees restarting life in New York
Escape from Baghdad promised so much for Omar and his young family, but their new life as refugees in the South Bronx is hardly the American ...

North Korea may be restarting nuclear plant: U.S. institute
North Korea may be attempting to restart its main nuclear bomb fuel reactor after a five-month shutdown, a U.S. research institute said Thursday. ...

Official: GreenTech Auto restarting production later this year
Filed under: EV/Plug-in , Manufacturing/Plants , NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) Will the rubber really hit the road for GreenTech Automotive ...

Good Shepherd Church: Rebuilding, restarting after fire
The Good Shepherd Church in all its former glory, before it was devastated by an electrical fire last fall. The church will hold a fundraiser ...

Why Does Your iPhone 6 Keep Restarting?
That’s a good question that no one, not even Apple , can really answer. What’s clear though, is that it happens quite often to many iOS users. ...

a restarting friday open thread
by liberal japonicus I recently restarted doing Tai Chi. I only started doing it because a colleague was teaching it, and a schedule conflict ...

Restarting Opera
Speaking of feature creep, there's a browser that included so many features that I'd probably need an entire day to list them. An email client, ...

Koreas Holding Third Round of Talks Aimed at Restarting Gaeseong
... crossed the demilitarized zone for the third time in just over a week as they seek agreement with their North Korean counterparts on restarting ...

As Sunnis die in Iraq, a cycle is restarting
As Sunni militants rampaged across northern Iraq last week, executing Iraqi soldiers and government workers and threatening to demolish Shiism’s ...

Lionsgate is reportedly restarting talks to acquire Starz
It looks like talks of Lionsgate picking up Starz are back on the table. Bloomberg reports that Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., which owns the ...