Migrating applications from Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000

Hi,

I've got a bunch of VB6 applications which currently run on a Windows
NT/SQL Server 7.0 server config with client machines on Windows 2000.
I'm planning to replace the servers with Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000
configs, keeping client machines on Windows 2000 for now.

So generally speaking, are there many programming or configuration
changes I'll need to make to the applications so that they'll run on
the new configuration? What issues can I expect etc?

I'm just after general issues any of you may have experienced by
migrating from NT to 2003, and also from SQL Server 7 to 2000, which is
why I haven't given much detail on the apps as it's just the beginning
of the project. So if you've done this please feel free to bare your
soul!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mong

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't know for sure. If it installs, it may still noe be supported. For SQL 2000 you need SP3 to run on Win 2003. That I know. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

MS SQL Server 7.0 SP4 on Windows 2003 Server.
My regards for all on this NG! My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run with no problems into Windows 2003 Server. Thanks a lot!! Lucio Lucio Chiessi [VORio] (lucio@vorio.eti.br) writes: > My regards for all on this NG! > > My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases > and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 > I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run > with no problems into Windows 2003 Server. Microsoft does not support SQL 7.0 on Windows 2003. See further http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810391. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp Thanks a lot for your response. We are upgrading to MSDE2K and working fine. Best Regards... Lucio Chiessi [VORio] (lucio@vorio.eti.br) writes: > Thanks a lot for your response. > We are upgrading to MSDE2K and working fine. Be sure to apply SP3, as this is required for Windows 2003. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

SQL Server 2000 and Windows Server 2003
I have several database on a Windows Server 2003. I re-registered this SQL server, which is local, and after that I cannot see any of the databases in the Enterprise Manager. The databases still work, since my applications work fine. I have no clue how can I make these databases visible in Enterprise Manager. I tried registering this SQL Server in Enterprise Manager under Windows accounts and SQL Server accounts. Nothing works. Can anybody help? df (df@df.com) writes: > I have several database on a Windows Server 2003. I re-registered this > SQL server, which is local, and after that I cannot see any of the > databases in the Enterprise Manager. The databases still work, since my > applications work fine. I have no clue how can I make these databases > visible in Enterprise Manager. I tried registering this SQL Server in > Enterprise Manager under Windows accounts and SQL Server accounts. I have no idea, but my guess is that you registered as a user that does not have permission to these databases, and not as a user that has admin priviledges. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp df wrote: > I have several database on a Windows Server 2003. I re-registered this SQL > server, which is local, and after that I cannot see any of the databases in > the Enterprise Manager. The databases still work, since my applications work &g...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Can SQL Server 7.0 handle a SQL Server 2000 mdf?
I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Thanks for any help. Mike Watson (mike@connectingsoftware.it) writes: > I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf > developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. > But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that > it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE > 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my > 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Well, there's actually two problems here. The fact that MSDE/ODBC can't see the database has nothing to do with the versions of SQL Server. Putting a file into your data directory has no effect. You would have to do sp_attach_db to make the database available. And for sp_attach_db the .mdf is not sufficient; you would need the log file too. There is sp_attach_single_file_db for this situation, but the database must have been shut down cleanly for this. (Well, this applies to sp_attach_db as well as I recall.) But for all this to work, the target server must be the same version or later t...

Windows 2000 Server / IIS / SQL Server 2000
Hi, We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server with IIS installed. Can IIS be uninstalled without affecting SQL Server? Thank you! Mike wrote: > Hi, > > We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server with IIS installed. > Can IIS be uninstalled without affecting SQL Server? > > Thank you! Just disable it in the services (unless it's being used for .net etc) ...

To have SQL Server 2000 + 2005 working on a single windows 2003 server
hi all. Can i have two instalation of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 in a single server WIN 2003 as programs seperate, without i have=B4nt conflict ? If el anwser is Yes, What it is the order of instalation and what prevention will do? Thank you for you help. Bye. Am Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:28:43 -0700 schrieb fhernandezve@gmail.com: > hi all. > > Can i have two instalation of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 in a single server > WIN 2003 as programs seperate, without i have�nt conflict ? > > If el anwser is Yes, What it is the order of instalation and what > prevention will do? > > Thank you for you help. > > Bye. Yes, i have SQL2000 and SQL2005 on the same server without problems. Installed 2000 first and 2005 second. Take care that instance names are different, you can't use the same instance name in 2000 and in 2005. bye, Helmut ...

Windows 2003 server enterprise Vs Pervasive.Sql v9 for Nt server
If I use a server with 8 Gb of Ram with Os win 2003 server enterprise. Does it BeakThrough the windows limitation of 2 Gb ram for a users process for the cache memory. No. However, if you disable the L2 cache, kick the L1 cache up to a high value (such as 800MB), and enable the System Cache, you'll have better PSQL performance, since the OS will cache file data in the other 6GB of memory. Goldstar Software Inc. Pervasive-based Products, Training & Services Bill Bach BillBach@goldstarsoftware.com http://www.goldstarsoftware.com *** Chicago: Pervasive Service & Support Cla...

Progress OpenEdge and SQL Server 2000 Standard on Windows 2003 Server Standard
We are having some performance issues with an application that is running on Progress OpenEdge and SQL Server. The application is written in Progress OpenEdge, but the actual data itself is being stored in SQL Server. Unfortunately, the software vendor suggests that both databases reside on one server. As a result, we appear to be running into memory contention issues, and are trying to determine the least cost solution to increase performance. Here is a quick breakdown of what we currently have: Progress OpenEdge SQL Server 2000 Standard Windows 2000 Server Standard 4GB Memory Dual 3.4 Ghz Xeon Processors RAID 10 Disk Array The Progress App Servers grow in size, we have fixed SQL Server to 1.3 GB of memory. My understanding is that if we don't do this, SQL Server will grab the full two megs of memory. Since the Dell RAID automatically takes 750 meg, that leaves a whopping 1.25 GB for the OS and Progress OpenEdge. Progress OpenEdge is currently using around 1.25 GB itself. So, the question is, based on the hardware and software I have, what is the least expensive route to get more memory? I was considering Windows 2003 Server 64-bit, but I'm not sure how SQL Server 2000 and Progress OpenEdge will run on it. I could go Windows 2000 Server Enterprise, but it seems a waste to spend that kind of money on a soon- to-be obsolete OS. Upgrading the SQL Server 2003/5 is a costly option, plus the vendor does not officially supp...

SQL Server 2000 + 2005 working on same windows 2003 server as seperate instances
Hi all, I just asked some people to help me out and phone microsoft with the following information, kindly they refused unless we setup a support contract with them first, for pre-sales information. (That really does not sound like good business sense to me - anyway here is our problem, if anyone could help thanks). "To tell and ask microsoft: We will be setting up a microsoft sql server 2000 instance running on a windows 2003 server. 1) We need to check this can run alongside a microsoft 2003 sql server (either workgroup or standard edition), on the same machine. Are there any .dll clashes if we do this? If there are can we run SQL Server 2000, in a virtual machine running windows 2000 professional. (I have a licenced copy we can use for this). 2) If we run one instance of 2000, and one of 2003 of the sql servers, can one use the processor licence model, and one use the CAL licence model." Thanks for any help, and any idea why they actually force you to use news groups for pre-sales information? David David wrote: > Hi all, > > I just asked some people to help me out and phone microsoft with the > following information, kindly they refused unless we setup a support > contract with them first, for pre-sales information. (That really does > not sound like good business sense to me - anyway here is our problem, > if anyone could help thanks). > > "To tell and ask microsoft: > > We will be setting up a microsoft sql server...

SQL Server 2000 standard on Windows 2000 Advanced Server
What is the limitation of memory that SQL Server 2000 Standard can use when running on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server platform? barbd@infocision.com (Barb) wrote in message news:<c0281467.0401290832.3d8ebcb2@posting.google.com>... > What is the limitation of memory that SQL Server 2000 Standard can use > when running on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server platform? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274750&Product=sql2k Simon ...

SQL Server 7 vs SQL Server 2000
I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. Any information is greatly appreciated. *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! On 31 Oct 2003 19:21:09 GMT in comp.databases.ms-sqlserver, Bryan Bitzer <juniper2000@hotmail.com> wrote: >I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference >between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. >Any information is greatly appreciated. Don't know of any documents but you might search for "what's new" in the SQL section of MS's site but off the top of my head, user defined functions and cascade deletes on relationships are the main ones for me. -- A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer. Hi You may want to look at the what's new section of books online. Other information may be available at http://www.microsoft.com/sql John "Bryan Bitzer" <juniper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3fa2b625$0$202$75868355@news.frii.net... > I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference > between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. > Any information is greatly appreciated. > > > > > > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Hi You may want to look at the what's new section of b...

Using Eudora 6.0.1.1 in Windows 2000/XP with Application Data Redirected to Windows 2003 Server
Does anybody have any experience with using Eudora 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines? Per the installation guide we are using Eudora with user data stored in the Application Data folder for the user. Problems have arisen as we've migrated to Windows 2003 Server and Active Directory. Users now have roaming profiles (stored on the server) and redirected folders (My Documents and Application Data) also stored on the server. Some users also are using laptops with 'Offline Files' turned on. The problems we are seeing are... - OWNER.LOK files are not getting deleted when Eudora quits (or they are getting syncronized from the Client Side Cache to the server on log out) causing multiple instance of Eudora messages. Proceeding with "Accept the consequences" is resulting in TOC and/or MBX corruption. - We seem to be getting corruption of IN.TOC on the file server. Does Eudora support writing this file over a network connection or only to the local machines file system? Thanks for any insight. Trevor Cooper UCSD ...

SQL Server memory settings in SQL Server 7.0
Hi, i set my memory settings in the sql Server properties 2 "use fixed memory size (MB)" to 704MB nevertheless i find the following eventlog error upon starting my sql Server: 17122 : initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 1168704 KB. which i dont understand as my understanding was that i assinged 704 MB of memory 2 sql Server. Am not 2 familiar with SQL Server so i apologize again if this is a trivial question. ...

Installing sql server 2000 on windows server 2008
We are migrating a windows 2003 server machine to windows server 2008. Can we still use sql server 2000 on it? I know it is unsupported, but sql 2000 is doing fine right now and don't want to spend the extra cash ...

Need your expertise in SQL Server and Windows Server 2003
Ei guys I�m Ryan from Philippines, I need your advice and recommendations about Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server 2000 installation. Well, here�s the scenario. First is for windows 2003 server: We have a windows 2003 server that is a Logon Server and we have at least 90 workstation here in our office to manage. The problem is when we connect to this logon server. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to connect the workstation to the server. My guess is the specs of the logon server. This is the Specs: An IBM computer with a pentium IV 3.0GHz processor, 512MB memory and a 40Gig Harddisk. Well, is that enough to be a logon server? What is the minimum requirements? Second, SQL Server: My boss wants me to setup a SQL Server in a Dell computer with 2.8GHz, a 512mb of memory and a 80Gig Harddisk. My question is also the same, Is it enough requirement? And another thing, my boss wants me to install a SQL Server right? Well he said that I should install it in the two partition, that�s Partition C: and D: (of course this is a dual OS of both Server 2003), so that�s two SQL server in one harddisk. His Strategy is to backup the database from C to D and if in case the server in C: went down then the other SQL (which is in D: drive) will start its operation. Is this the right thing to do for SQL server, I mean is this the proper way of doing things in SQL Server Administration? Is there any complications on this? Please guys, I need your advice and expertise about this incident. Thanks in Adva...

Installing SQL server 2000 on windows 2003
I am installing SQL server 2000 on windows 2003 and getting an error of SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -m -q -T4022-T3659 An error occured when trying to start this service (1053) I am installing SQL under the domain admin login so I do not think rights is an issue. Also the admin is in the domain administratiors group. It creates some of the directories under c:\program files\SQLSERVER. ...

SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2003 SBS
I have XP workstations and windows 2003 SBS. I setup an ODBC for an application (tried both User and System DSN), but after a few usage, I get the following error: Connection failed: SQLState: 'HY000' SQL Server Error: 0 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cannot generate SSPI context. Any ideas? Is this a bug? -- Thank you Please post only Hi This usually occurs when you are using Windows authentication and you can not connect to the AD to authenticate the credentials. This may be due to a network issue or you are not logged onto the domain. You may want to try using SQL Server authentication John "!!bogus" <hello@microb.com> wrote in message news:o8syd.28304$GK5.1400727@news20.bellglobal.com... > > I have XP workstations and windows 2003 SBS. I setup an ODBC for an > application (tried both User and System DSN), but after a few usage, I get > the following error: > > Connection failed: > SQLState: 'HY000' > SQL Server Error: 0 > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cannot generate SSPI context. > > Any ideas? Is this a bug? > > -- > Thank you > Please post only > > > This usually occurs when you are using Windows authentication and you can That is true, but I need to use windows authentication. > not connect to the AD to authenticate the credentials. This may be due to a Actually it works for a few times and then the problem stops to happen. > network issue or yo...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows Server 2003 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f00cb8c0-32e9-411d-a896-f2cd5ef21eb4&displaylang=en&tm> -- Randy Chance Favors The Prepared Mind comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/ In comp.lang.javascript message <fZ-dnUyF3KVAA1nbRVn_vw@giganews.com>, Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:00:49, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> posted: >This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by >Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who >don't/can't subscribe to the...

Compatibility of SQL Server 7.0 with Windows 2K
Is SQL Server 7.0 compatible with the Windows 200 operating system? Are there certain patches or service packs that need to be applied to SQL to make this compatibility work? Thanks. Larry "lmclaus" <lmclaus@sandia.gov> wrote in message news:bka37u$j4c$1@sass2141.sandia.gov... > Is SQL Server 7.0 compatible with the Windows 200 operating system? Are > there certain patches or service packs that need to be applied to SQL to > make this compatibility work? Thanks. > > Larry > > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/overview/70/datasheet.asp#E Simon "lmclaus" <lmclaus@sandia.gov> wrote in message news:bka37u$j4c$1@sass2141.sandia.gov... > Is SQL Server 7.0 compatible with the Windows 200 operating system? Are > there certain patches or service packs that need to be applied to SQL to > make this compatibility work? Thanks. > Seems to be working fine here. Ron. -- Performance Intelligence, Inc. Spy 4 DB2 - http://www.pireporting.com/spy4db2.html ...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

When are SQL Server and Windows Server required?
My firm needs to manage three to four databases on a basic Window XP pro machine to serve up to 10 clients. My questions are: 1) When is SQL server require (# clients?) 2) When is Windows Server 2003 required? 3) How easy is it to have the complete databases replicated on the individual client computers? 4) a) How easy is it to synchronize the client databases with the master? b) In other words, if one of our consultants has a stack of business cards, can those additions be added: 1) connected to a broadband connection remotely 2) when they are disconnected (on an airplane) and then reconnect? Database descriptions: Database 1: 50 records, each record is 10 pages long with 200 parameters Database 2: 10,000 records, each one is 1/2 page of info (basic contact database) Database 3: 400 records, each record is 5 pages long with 100 parameters ...

Visual Basic 6.0 connect to SQL Server 2000
We have forms written in Visual Basic 6.0. They were previously written for an Access database which was moved to SQL Server 2000. Here's the connect string I used: ODBC;UID=visualbasic;PWD=password;SERVER=MPSQL;DRIVER={SQL SERVER};DATABASE=MPPhoto The user visualbasic and the user logged in to the computer have full rights to the database. When they open the form which is based on a view it is opened as read only with an error 3027. The data control is not set to read only. The database file is not read only. All of the permissions are set to allow this user read, writ...