Printer Object: How to print "portrait" and "landscape" on the same page?

Hi,

hope there's a simple solution to this.
If so, I'd appreciate a short hint.

I'm trying to find out how to change the printing
directions for special lines.

Simple example:
I need to print a line from left to right and
another line from bottom to top on the same page.

It's supposed to look like this page
(imagine the bottom to top letters
to be turned 90=B0 to the left)

#############################
#                           #
#  d                        #
#  l                        #
#  r                        #
#  o                        #
#  w                        #
#                           #
#  o                        #
#  l                        #
#  l                        #
#  e                        #
#  hello world              #
#                           #
#############################

I tried

Printer.NewPage
Printer.CurrentY =3D 1000
Printer.CurrentX =3D 1000
Printer.Font.Name =3D "Arial"
Printer.Orientation =3D 1
Printer.Print "hello world"
Printer.CurrentY =3D 1000
Printer.CurrentX =3D 1000
Printer.Orientation =3D 2
Printer.Print "hello world"
Printer.EndDoc

This fails - I can't change Orientation within the document.

I'm using Visual Basic 4 - but also could use
Visual Basic 6 if necessary.

Any hints?

Regards,
Daniel

0
bbc (3)
1/25/2005 8:45:58 AM
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc 10148 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Daniel Jolt" <bbc@myway.com> wrote in message

> I need to print a line from left to right and another line from
> bottom to top on the same page. I'm using Visual Basic 4 -
> but also could use Visual Basic 6 if necessary.

In order to print rotated text to the VB printer object you need to create a
rotated font. After you have created your rotated font you cannot use any of
the Printer Object methods or access any of its properties (including its
hDC property) or it will immediately "forget" the rotated font that you
created. So, you need to print your text using the TextOut API. You also
need to get the Printer.hDC and save it to a standard VB variable (Long)
*before* you create the font and you need to use the "saved" hDC with the
TextOut API, instead of Printer.hDC.

Try the following code. It will certainly work in VB5 and VB6, but I'm not
sure about VB4. I think it might work in VB4, but even if it doesn't it
should be possible for you to modify it slightly so that it does. Note that
the Printer.CurrentX and Printer.CurrentY properties are not altered to new
positions after the text has been printed (that is the standard behaviour of
the TextOut API) so you will need to position each line of text on your
page. You could always modify the code so that it does automatically do the
standard "vbCrLf" thing after printing, but I prefer it as it is.

Also note that I have written the RotatedText routine as a simple "one off"
text printing code just so that you can easily see what is going on. In many
cases, of course, this is wasteful (in terms of time)because your rotated
font is created and then destroyed each time you call the routine. So, if
you wanted to print (say) twelve lines of text one after the other all
rotated to the same angle then a rotated font would be created and destroyed
twelve times. A far better way would be to create the rotated font just once
(before you print the first of the twelve lines) and then destroy it only
after you have printed the twelfth. I'm sure that you will be able to modify
it to behave in that way if you wish. It will still work of course exactly
as I have posted it, and the "wasted" time probably isn't a lot when
compared to the very slow hardware response of the printer, but I just
though I'd mention it to you.

Mike

Option Explicit
Private Const LF_FACESIZE = 32
Private Type LOGFONT
    lfHeight As Long
    lfWidth As Long
    lfEscapement As Long
    lfOrientation As Long
    lfWeight As Long
    lfItalic As Byte
    lfUnderline As Byte
    lfStrikeOut As Byte
    lfCharSet As Byte
    lfOutPrecision As Byte
    lfClipPrecision As Byte
    lfQuality As Byte
    lfPitchAndFamily As Byte
    lfFaceName As String * LF_FACESIZE
End Type
Private Declare Function CreateFontIndirect Lib "gdi32" _
Alias "CreateFontIndirectA" (lpLogFont As LOGFONT) As Long
Private Declare Function SelectObject Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal hObject As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function DeleteObject Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hObject As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function TextOut Lib "gdi32" Alias _
"TextOutA" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal _
y As Long, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal nCount _
As Long) As Long

Private Sub RotatedText(textstring As String, angle As Long)
' Prints rotated text at the current printer x and y
' coordinates at a specified angle (in tenths of a degree
' in an anti clockwise direction (zero is normal text)
Dim MyHdc As Long
Dim oldmode As Long, xpix As Long, ypix As Long
Dim log_font As LOGFONT
Dim new_font As Long, old_font As Long
With Printer
  xpix = .ScaleX(.CurrentX - .ScaleLeft, .ScaleMode, vbPixels)
  ypix = .ScaleY(.CurrentY - .ScaleTop, .ScaleMode, vbPixels)
MyHdc = .hdc ' get the Printer.hDC and save it to a variable
End With
With log_font
 .lfEscapement = angle
 .lfHeight = (Printer.Font.Size * -20) / Printer.TwipsPerPixelY
 .lfFaceName = Printer.Font.Name & vbNullChar
 If Printer.Font.Bold = True Then
  .lfWeight = 700
 Else
  .lfWeight = 400
 End If
  .lfItalic = Printer.Font.Italic
  .lfUnderline = Printer.Font.Underline
 End With
new_font = CreateFontIndirect(log_font)
old_font = SelectObject(MyHdc, new_font)
TextOut MyHdc, xpix, ypix, textstring, Len(textstring)
SelectObject MyHdc, old_font
DeleteObject new_font
End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim angle As Long, s1 As String
Printer.ScaleMode = vbInches
Printer.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
Printer.Font.Size = 14
' always start every print job with a simple Print statement
Printer.Print
Printer.CurrentX = 0
Printer.CurrentY = 4
s1 = "Hello World"
angle = 0 ' standard (no rotation)
RotatedText s1, angle
angle = 900 ' 90 degrees anticlockwise rotation
RotatedText s1, angle
Printer.EndDoc
End Sub

0
mike5607 (1952)
1/25/2005 10:25:29 AM
>Try the following code. It will certainly work in VB5 and VB6, but I'm
not
>sure about VB4.

I tried this with VB4 and it works.
Thank's for posting such detailed instructions, Mike.

0
bbc (3)

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is undefined upon entering the procedure modify, so when you only write component 2, upon return, only component 2 has been written. Under slight variations, the result of your code might be <garbage character>U<garbage character>. Another thing: Don't rely upon s1'First = 1. Component 2 might not exist. You could call modify like so: X: String (25..30); modify (X); Now s1(2) inevitably will raise Constraint_Error. ____________________________________________________ Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200 "Christoph Karl Walter Grein" <AdaMagica@web.de> wrote: > > In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is undefined...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. > > Raj There is a difference I believe that xxxx->yyyy is used if xxxx is a pointer to an object/class and xxxx.yyyyy if xxxx is the object/classs > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. IMHO it's simply convenience. Bye, Marco raj wrote: > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both > operators. The second form involves more typing and requires more effort to read. -- Russell Hanneken eunaarxra@cbobk.pbz Use ROT13 to decode my email address. In message <WOhCc.15115$Wr.8451@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Russell Hanneken <me@privacy.net> writes >raj wrote: >> >> You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"Complete object" and "most derived object"
Hello experts, I am newbie in C++ (not exactly a newbie) :-) While going through the standard section 1.7/2-3 it says, Objects can contain other objects, called subobjects. A subobject - can be a member subobject, - a base class subobject or an array element. An object that is not a subobject of any other object is called a complete object. For every object x, there is some object called the complete object of x, determined as follows: - If x is a complete object, then x is the complete object of x. - Otherwise, the complete object of x is the complete object of the (unique) object that contains x. If a complete object, a data member, or an array element is of class type, its type is considered the most derived class, to distinguish it from the class type of any base class subobject; an object of a most derived class type is called a most derived object. What I could understand from the definition of complete object is that it is the top-most level object which is not a part of any other object (either by derivation or by composition). Is my understanding right? The second part which talks about most derived class/object is confusing me. Can you please give an example of what the most derived class/onject means? Thanks a tons. --- [ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try just posting with ] [ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std-c++@ncar.ucar.edu ] [ --- Please see the FAQ before posting. --...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"landscape" and "portrait" mutually exclusive with eps?
Why are "landscape" and "portrait" mutually and pairwise exclusive with "eps"? Can I not make a landscape orientation eps or a portrait orientation eps? From the help files... "set terminal postscript {landscape | portrait | eps}" -- Rahul Rahul wrote: > Why are "landscape" and "portrait" mutually and pairwise exclusive > with "eps"? Can I not make a landscape orientation eps or a portrait > orientation eps? No, because an EPSF file describes only the contents of the box containing your figure. All page layout commands are ignored, and in fact many of them are not permitted according to the standard. The whole idea of eps is to make the description independent of the rest of the content on the page, so that it may be embedded in other documents. sfeam <sfeam@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in news:goqb3j$i9a$1@reader.motzarella.org: > No, because an EPSF file describes only the contents of the box > containing your figure. All page layout commands are ignored, and in > fact many of them are not permitted according to the standard. The > whole idea of eps is to make the description independent of the rest > of the content on the page, so that it may be embedded in other > documents. > > Makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for the explaination sfeam. -- Rahul sfeam wrote: > No, because an EPSF file describes o...

["a", "b", "c", "d"] to "a, b, c, d"?
I want to process each element of an array, but the last element should be handled special. Here is an example: def p_ary(ary) str = "" ary.each do |elem| str << elem << ", " end str.chomp!(", ") str end so p_ary(["a", "f", "x", "test"]) produces "a, f, x, test". The code works, but isn't there an easier and more general way for this behaviour? martinus On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:23:22 -0700, Martin wrote: > I want to process each element of an array, but the last ele...

Difference between "while" and "if" (pretty basic)
Hello all, I am new to programming in general. I am writing a script which finds solutions to a function of several variables. However, I am wanting my program to display a warning if certain variables fall within barred ranges-- and these ranges are barred only if other variables fall within certain values. Suppose I run a "for" loop with a = -100:5:100, and inside this loop, another for b = 0:1:10. Suppose I want to display the warning when both a is greater than zero and b is between 2 and 6. (Those numbers are all made up for an example). Would it be appropriate to use while statements or if statements within the innermost loop? Something like while a>0 if b>2 & b<6 disp('Warning: barred') What is the difference between that and if a>0 if b>2 & b<6 disp('Warning: barred') Again, I understand this is basic programming stuff but I'm a newbie. Thanks for the help! "John Smith" <johnps@gmail.com> wrote in message <iua440$n0$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello all, > > I am new to programming in general. I am writing a script which finds solutions to a function of several variables. However, I am wanting my program to display a warning if certain variables fall within barred ranges-- and these ranges are barred only if other variables fall within certain values. > > Suppose I run a "for" loop with a = -100:5:100, and inside this loop,...

Is there a "break" "continue" equivalent in the "for" or "while" statement in SKILL?
Thank you! madhero wrote, on 07/03/08 09:42: > Thank you! Not directly, but see: http://tinyurl.com/69wte8 http://tinyurl.com/6ycdbn for two related threads in this group. Regards, Andrew. ...

Accessing "Page Order" and "Print on Both Sides" properties in Printer Common Dialog box
Dear VB Experts, We are working in VB6 and also using FarPoint Spread control. While sending print from the application, printer common dialog box is first displayed allowing the user to define/set print properties. Is there a way through which we can access "Page Order" and "Print on Both Sides" properties of printer dialog box, like other properties e.g. Orientation, flags etc. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks & Regards, Faiz "Faiz" <its_faiz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2d4fafba.0411180522.247737c4@posting.google.com... > Dear VB Experts, > > We are working in VB6 and also using FarPoint Spread control. While > sending print from the application, printer common dialog box is first > displayed allowing the user to define/set print properties. > > Is there a way through which we can access "Page Order" and "Print on > Both Sides" properties of printer dialog box, like other properties > e.g. Orientation, flags etc. > > Any help will be highly appreciated. > > Thanks & Regards, > > Faiz Have a look at the Flags property and cdlPDPrintSetup ...

Sending "page up" and "page down" character problem.
Hi, I am writing a script that, a. Initiates a telnet connection with a server S with user id UI and Password P b. It then sends a couple of commands to go in another directory Now, I want to do a "page up" or a "page down" through my script. The terminal that I am talking to is a VT220 type and has different escape sequences. The escape sequence for a page down is "\e[6~" (without the quotes) how can I send this through my telnet script. For e.g. When I want to enter my user id and password i write $remote = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => 30,Errmode => 'die'); $remote->print("userId"); $remote->waitfor('/password: /i'); $remote-_print("password"); How cann I do the same for sending the escape characters ??? I have tried $remote -> print "\e[6~"; but this does not work. Any sort of help would be truly appreciated, Thanks, Hiren ...

Web resources about - Printer Object: How to print "portrait" and "landscape" on the same page? - comp.lang.basic.visual.misc