VB2010 displaying jpegs from serial input.

I have a communications system which sends data to a VB2010 program over
USB.  I can readily decode the data and display various parameters.

This is used to demonstrate the comms system, and what I would like to
do is send jpeg images to my VB program and display them in a
PictureBox.  I can strip out all the comms overhead and write the jpeg
to a byte array easily, but how can I then display this?

I could write a file to disk and read this into the PictureBox, but I
want this to go fairly quickly - the jpegs form a slowish video stream.

I'd use two byte arrays, and display one while loading the other, then
swap over.  But how do I make a picture from a byte array containing a
jpeg image?

I suspect the answer is trivial, but I'm no VB guru.

Cheers
--
Syd
0

> I have a communications system which sends data to a VB2010 program
> over USB.  I can readily decode the data and display various
> parameters.
>
> This is used to demonstrate the comms system, and what I would like
> to do is send jpeg images to my VB program and display them in a
> PictureBox.  I can strip out all the comms overhead and write the
> jpeg to a byte array easily, but how can I then display this?
>
> I could write a file to disk and read this into the PictureBox, but I
> want this to go fairly quickly - the jpegs form a slowish video
> stream.
>
> I'd use two byte arrays, and display one while loading the other,
> then swap over.  But how do I make a picture from a byte array
> containing a jpeg image?
>
> I suspect the answer is trivial, but I'm no VB guru.
>
> Cheers

VB2010 is .Net; -this forum is for Classic VB6 and earlier<g>

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
  comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
  microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

GS
9/16/2016 10:11:56 PM
Syd Rumpo wrote:

> I have a communications system which sends data to a VB2010 program over
> USB.  I can readily decode the data and display various parameters.
>
> This is used to demonstrate the comms system, and what I would like to
> do is send jpeg images to my VB program and display them in a
> PictureBox.  I can strip out all the comms overhead and write the jpeg
> to a byte array easily, but how can I then display this?
>
> I could write a file to disk and read this into the PictureBox, but I
> want this to go fairly quickly - the jpegs form a slowish video stream.
>
> I'd use two byte arrays, and display one while loading the other, then
> swap over.  But how do I make a picture from a byte array containing a
> jpeg image?
>
> I suspect the answer is trivial, but I'm no VB guru.

How fast does the jpeg update? Depending on that, hard drive speed, network
speed, and the phase of the moon, it might be acceptable to go the temp file
route.

--
Hello, and welcome to another edition of "This Fucked-Up World",
with your host, A Stupid Fuck.