VB6/SQL Server application runs locally, but not from server

I have a VB6 SP6 MDAC 2.8 application talking to SQL Server.  Once I've
installed this application on my local machine I have been able to move the
..exe file to a file server and it runs just fine from there for all my local
users.  This is very handy for updating the application without having to
reinstall it on each user's machine each time.  They just use a shortcut
pointing to the file server .exe file

My problem has become that we have some users at remote locations that VPN
into our network who also want to use this application.  When it's installed
locally on their machines, or even on file servers at their locations,
everything works fine.  However, when they run the .exe off of my file
server the SQL Server connections times out on the initial connection open
after the default 30 seconds every time.  Run from their own desktops or
file servers it connects within 2 seconds every time.  This is on both
Windows 2000 and XP Pro machines.  Even when I tell the shortcut to use
their local drive for the working directory the same problem happens.

This goes against everything I've seen with server-based files for 15 years.
Once a file is loaded in the computer for execution, why does it matter
where it came from?  What "baggage" can an .exe file carry with it that will
cause it to not execute when hosted on one server, but run just fine from
the desktop or another, closer server?  The only known difference is that
the connection speed is much better when I run it locally here to that file
server.

Help.

0
David
6/19/2005 10:50:48 PM
comp.lang.basic.visual 1833 articles. 0 followers. please859 (33) is leader. Post Follow

If the EXE is just a regular Window app, yes, it should not matter where the
exe is read into a running computer's memory and get started, as long as all
required dependency resources are in place on the running computer. Your
problem souns more likely a SQL Server logging in issue to me, especially if
you user Windows security for SQL Server access. You can quite easily
identify whether it is SQL Server access issue by using SQL Server Profiler.
It would tell you which user is trying to access SQL Server and whether is
suceeded or not.

"David C. Barber" <david@NOSPAMdbarber.com> wrote in message
> I have a VB6 SP6 MDAC 2.8 application talking to SQL Server.  Once I've
> installed this application on my local machine I have been able to move
the
> .exe file to a file server and it runs just fine from there for all my
local
> users.  This is very handy for updating the application without having to
> reinstall it on each user's machine each time.  They just use a shortcut
> pointing to the file server .exe file
>
> My problem has become that we have some users at remote locations that VPN
> into our network who also want to use this application.  When it's
installed
> locally on their machines, or even on file servers at their locations,
> everything works fine.  However, when they run the .exe off of my file
> server the SQL Server connections times out on the initial connection open
> after the default 30 seconds every time.  Run from their own desktops or
> file servers it connects within 2 seconds every time.  This is on both
> Windows 2000 and XP Pro machines.  Even when I tell the shortcut to use
> their local drive for the working directory the same problem happens.
>
> This goes against everything I've seen with server-based files for 15
years.
> Once a file is loaded in the computer for execution, why does it matter
> where it came from?  What "baggage" can an .exe file carry with it that
will
> cause it to not execute when hosted on one server, but run just fine from
> the desktop or another, closer server?  The only known difference is that
> the connection speed is much better when I run it locally here to that
file
> server.
>
> Help.

0