f



Help Needed: C/C++ Standard Libraries

Hi.

I am starting to learn C++ and am curious to find out if there are any
Word documents or PDF files that list all of the standard libraries,
the functions contained within them, a short description of them, and
how to use them.

Basically, what is listed on www.cplusplus.com under the reference
area.

It would be a major help to have a hard copy reference list on hand
that lists all of this data. 

Thanks in advance...

DV


      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
da
8/28/2003 2:28:59 PM
comp.lang.c++.moderated 10738 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

5 Replies
807 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 9

da Vinci wrote:

> I am starting to learn C++ and am curious to find out if there are any
> Word documents or PDF files that list all of the standard libraries,
> the functions contained within them, a short description of them, and
> how to use them.

For a definitive list, you need a copy of the C++ Standard
(USD 18 for a PDF from www.ansi.org).  Functions inherited
from C (e.g. printf) are listed but not described in the C++
Standard, and you need a copy of the C Standard (the 1990
version + Ammendment 1) for their descriptions.  As C90 is
no longer the current C standard -- it was superceeded in
1999 -- you cannot, as far as I know, get this any more.

Many standard libray vendors provide documentation listing
most of the functions.  The SGI documentation on the STL
(the containers and iterators parts of the standard library)
is good for this

  http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/table_of_contents.html

Dinkumware also provide an extensive online reference

  http://www.dinkumware.com/libraries_ref.html

> It would be a major help to have a hard copy reference list on hand
> that lists all of this data.

"The C++ Standard Library" by Nicolai Josuttis is a
good reference to the STL part of the standard library.
The best reference for the IOStreams part of the standard
library is certainly "Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales"
by Angelika Langer & Klaus Kreft.  I'm not aware of a good
reference to bits of the library inherited from C.

--
Richard Smith

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
Richard
8/29/2003 3:25:23 PM
In article <lt0qkv49tclv4tg7t6bl0g1nujeqgnep9f@4ax.com>, da Vinci wrote:
 > Hi.
 >
 > I am starting to learn C++ and am curious to find out if there are any
 > Word documents or PDF files that list all of the standard libraries,
 > the functions contained within them, a short description of them, and
 > how to use them.
 >
 > Basically, what is listed on www.cplusplus.com under the reference
 > area.
 >
 > It would be a major help to have a hard copy reference list on hand
 > that lists all of this data.

You can get the standard as a PDF for USD 18 from ANSI, but that doesn't
say much about how to use the library:
<http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS%2FISO%2FIEC+14882%2D1998>
(be aware that a corrected version of the standard will be available
in a month or so).

Dinkumware's Unabridged Library Reference is pretty good, judging from
what I've seen of it, and you can download the lot in HTML form for
USD 24: <http://www.dinkumware.com/libraries_ref.html>

Microsoft publishes Dinkumware's standard library documentation as part
of the MSDN Library, so if you have access to that in HTML Help format
you may be able to print out that section.  That would probably waste a
lot of paper though, as every function would be printed on its own page
and would include the bogus example code added by Microsoft.

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
Ben
8/30/2003 10:12:54 AM
Richard Smith <richard@ex-parrot.com> writes:

> I'm not aware of a good
> reference to bits of the library inherited from C.

P.J. Plauger's _The Standard C Library_

The version I have is a bit out of date for C99, but great for C++ .
    :-)

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
llewelly
8/30/2003 1:44:23 PM
On Friday 29 August 2003 08:25 am, Richard Smith wrote:

 > "The C++ Standard Library" by Nicolai Josuttis is a
 > good reference to the STL part of the standard library.
 > The best reference for the IOStreams part of the standard
 > library is certainly "Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales"
 > by Angelika Langer & Klaus Kreft.  I'm not aware of a good
 > reference to bits of the library inherited from C.

C++ in a Nutshell documents the entire standard library, including the
portions inherited from C.
-- 
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
http://www.tempest-sw.com/cpp

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
Ray
8/31/2003 5:20:33 PM
Uh, you could always purchase the C++ Standard in PDF form for $18 from
ANSI.

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS%2FISO%2FIEC+148
82%2D1998


--
-- Early Ehlinger CEO, ResPower Inc - Toll-Free : 866-737-7697
-- www.respower.com -- 500+ GHz Supercomputer Starting At USD$0.50/GHz*Hour




"da Vinci" <blank@blank.com> wrote in message
news:lt0qkv49tclv4tg7t6bl0g1nujeqgnep9f@4ax.com...
> Hi.
>
> I am starting to learn C++ and am curious to find out if there are any
> Word documents or PDF files that list all of the standard libraries,
> the functions contained within them, a short description of them, and
> how to use them.
>
> Basically, what is listed on www.cplusplus.com under the reference
> area.
>
> It would be a major help to have a hard copy reference list on hand
> that lists all of this data.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> DV

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]
0
Early
9/3/2003 12:47:58 AM
Reply: