Re: source code browser for C / C++ code 491176

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:13:34 -0600, Alex wrote:

>> > Rahul meant "source code browser" - not IDE, did you?
>
> If Rahul wants to get a grip of a large codebase, IDE with source
> browser is no doubt better than running doxygen on it. Visual Studio or
> Eclipse/CDT (in that order) is what I recommend.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
>
> Alex

Uh, no. Visual Studio barely works on non-C-like C++ code. If your team
has a habit of using Doxygen from the get-go, the benefits are
tremendous. Whoever suggested Doxygen was a genius. Given a relatively
non-traditional C++ codebase, Doxygen has done well where Visual Studio
has very badly failed.

On a slight tangent, I find that Emacs + etags works better for code
lookups than Visual Studio. The only nagging problem I have is that the
TAGS file is not updated as you edit. I shouldn't speak to CDT as I tried
it a long time ago and it is probably a lot better now.

As these things go, YMMV :-)

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com

Sohail
2/14/2008 5:26:40 PM
comp.lang.c++.moderated 10738 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8506) is leader. Post Follow