utf-8 string literal

{ edited to shorten lines to ~70 characters. -mod }

Hello all.

Recently we were discussing if the following snippet is guaranteed to
compiles on all conforming platforms.

int main() {
	// wikipedia's example from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
	constexpr const char euro[] = u8"\u20ac";
	static_assert(
	       sizeof euro == 4
	       && euro[0] == static_cast<const char>(0b11100010)
	       && euro[1] == static_cast<const char>(0b10000010)
	       && euro[2] == static_cast<const char>(0b10101100),
	       "Not utf-8.");
}

Looking at 2.3 (Basic charset) and 2.14.5 (String literals) we _think_
so, but are not sure.

This came up whilst implementing Adobe's glyphlist in C++.
See https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/agl-aglfn

Sascha

On Monday, 14 March 2016 13:50:14 UTC+2, Sascha Schwarz  wrote:
> Recently we were discussing if the following snippet is guaranteed to
> compiles on all conforming platforms.
>
> int main() {
> 	// wikipedia's example from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
> 	constexpr const char euro[] = u8"\u20ac";
> 	static_assert(
> 	       sizeof euro == 4
> 	       && euro[0] == static_cast<const char>(0b11100010)
> 	       && euro[1] == static_cast<const char>(0b10000010)
> 	       && euro[2] == static_cast<const char>(0b10101100),
> 	       "Not utf-8.");
> }
>
> Looking at 2.3 (Basic charset) and 2.14.5 (String literals) we _think_
> so, but are not sure.

Can you elaborate what makes you unsure?

ISO
3/14/2016 5:10:29 PM
On Monday, 14 March 2016 23:20:14 UTC+1, �� Tiib  wrote:

> Can you elaborate what makes you unsure?

It comes down to the difference between "\u20ac" and u8"\u20ac".

My understanding is, that whilst there is no guarantee about the encoding of
the
former, the latter is encoded using utf-8, and the static_assert() holds.

Sascha

UTF-8 literals with C++0x
Greetings. I have tried to understand the changes that C++0x makes with regard to UTF-8 support and the u8"" string literals. Somehow it strikes me that the u8 string literals are not all that helpful. * UTF-8 Strings are not distinguishable at runtime. Both "" and u8"" have a type of "array of n const char" (n3092, p.27) - What is the rationale for not providing a distinct type for u8 string literals? * Given that (I assume) many implementations already allow string literals such as: const char* encStr = "ab" "\xDC" "efgh"; // written as "ab�efgh" in an ISO-8859-1 encoded cpp file where 0xDC represents a code point above 127 and, given a western European environment represents U+00DC (�), this string literal will (most likely?) be encoded as bytes 0x61-0x62-0xDC-0x65-... at runtime, the interpretation of which depends on the locale used by the program. * Now, given a literal such as: const char* utf8Str = u8"ab" "\u00DC" "efgh"; // written as "ab�efgh" in an ISO-8859-1 encoded cpp file the resulting runtime bytes are required to be the valid UTF-8 encoding of the above string. The problem I see here is: How can a conforming implementation assist the programmer in not inadvertently mixing UTF-8 strings and Byte-Strings? That is: ... void foo_utf8(const char* valid_utf8_str); ... foo_utf8(u8"ab�efgh"); // ...

utf-8 string functions in c
How do I set up UTF-8 string constants in C? I'd like to set up a file with some japanese fonts, and while I know the utf-8 representation, I have no idea how to enter the constants. --Kamus You might have to do this manually or with a tool. Notepad will write utf-8 I think. You then have to have a program to translate that into a constant C array. I depends what you are trying to accomplish. ROM resource files, or some other kind of dunamic resource? On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:29:10 +0000, Jason wrote: > You might have to do this manually or with a tool. Notepad will write utf-8 >...

Dilma Roussef =?UTF-8?B?bsOjbyBhY3I=?= =?UTF-8?B?ZWRpdGE=?= =?UTF-8?B?IGVtIERFVQ==?= =?UTF-8?B?UyA2Nzc=?= =?UTF-8?B?Njc=?=
Se voce acredita em tudo que a candidata fala por ai , veja o video que comprova que ela nao acredita em DEUS, cuidado ao jogar o seu voto no lixo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fqyh-kvv Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fqyh-kvvk !jQZyeJ(+JqFwvgXvtAk%k=n& ...

Dilma Roussef =?UTF-8?B?bsOjbyBhY3I=?= =?UTF-8?B?ZWRpdGE=?= =?UTF-8?B?IGVtIERFVQ==?= =?UTF-8?B?UyAyMDE=?= =?UTF-8?B?Mjc=?=
Se voce acredita em tudo que a candidata fala por ai , veja o video que comprova que ela nao acredita em DEUS, cuidado ao jogar o seu voto no lixo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fqyh-kvvk Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS Dilma Roussef n�o acredita em DEUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fqyh-kvvk g@hxZIjqAV^Y=ai^VNXu.D!zG ...

trval.c:179:32: error: =?utf-8?B?4oCYcmxl?= =?utf-8?B?bjLigJk=?= may be used uninitialized in this function
Compiling krb5-1.10 with gcc and -O3 optimizations results in the following error (-O2 compiles fine btw): x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../include -I../../include -I./../../lib/krb5/asn.1 -DKRB5_DEPRECATED=1 -DKRB5_PRIVATE -O3 -pipe -march=core2 -I/usr/include/et -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-strict-overflow -Wall -Wcast-align -Wshadow -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-format-zero-length -Woverflow -Wstrict-overflow -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wmissing-prototypes -Wreturn-type -Wmissing-braces -Wparentheses -Wswitch -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wunknown-pragmas -Wsign-compare -Werror=uninitialized -Werror=declaration-after-statement -Werror=variadic-macros -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -pthread -c trval.c trval.c: In function ‘trval2’: trval.c:179:32: error: ‘rlen2’ may be used uninitialized in this function make[2]: *** [trval.o] Error 1 I did not look what gcc does but initializing rlen2 might be a quicker (and correct?) fix: diff --git a/tests/asn.1/trval.c b/tests/asn.1/trval.c index 780d60c..ffd66ac 100644 --- a/tests/asn.1/trval.c +++ b/tests/asn.1/trval.c @@ -176,7 +176,7 @@ int trval2(fp, enc, len, lev, rlen) int lev; int *rlen; { - int l, eid, elen, xlen, r, rlen2; + int l, eid, elen, xlen, r, rlen2 = 0; int rlen_ext = 0; r = OK; -- Eray Aslan ...

=?UTF-8?B?xqTvuoPguJfWgQ==?=: =?UTF-8?B?IOKModK/4oix4oix?= =?UTF-8?B?IOGPktK/bOKIsQ==?=
Υօu իԲ⩗ҿ ทҿ⩗ҿr Բทຮաҿrҿᖙ աիԲϯ ຮբҿ𐐽ﺃԲl ϯիﺃทց עօu ϯիﺃทk I իԲᖙ ϯօ ᖙօ ϯօ ցҿϯ നע Մຮҿทҿϯ rҿԲᖙҿr ϯօ աօrk աﺃϯի ทօท ᗋៜᑕII 𐐽իԲrԲ𐐽ϯҿrຮ. Iท ∱Բ𐐽ϯ, ∱rօന Բll ԲբբҿԲrԲท𐐽ҿຮ ﺃϯ ຮҿҿനຮ Բຮ ϯիօuցի ❆עօur❆ uຮҿทҿϯ rҿԲᖙҿr ᖙօҿຮ ทօϯ ҿ⩗ҿท Բllօա עօu ϯօ rҿԲᖙ നҿຮຮԲցҿຮ բօຮϯҿᖙ աﺃϯի ຮu𐐽ի uท𐐽օനനօท ﺃϯҿനຮ ∱rօന ϯիҿ Մϯᖴ-৪ lﺃຮϯ օ∱ ຮעനϦօlຮ. ẄիԲϯ ﺃຮ աrօทցᕈ Ẅիע ᖙօท'ϯ עօu ҿ⩗ҿr զuօϯҿ օr rҿຮբօทᖙ ϯօ ຮu𐐽ի നҿຮຮԲցҿຮᕈ ᗋrҿ עօu ∱ﺃทᖙﺃทց ϯիԲϯ עօur ԲϦﺃlﺃϯﺃҿຮ իҿrҿ Բrҿ നօrҿ lﺃനﺃϯҿᖙ ϯիԲท עօu ϯիօuցիϯᕈ Iϯ ຮurҿ ຮҿҿനຮ ϯիԲϯ աԲע! -- "I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children." -- Richard Stallman On 6/3/13 5:49 PM, in article CDD287B9.1BEC6%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com, "Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote: > Υօu իԲ⩗ҿ ทҿ⩗ҿr Բทຮաҿrҿᖙ աիԲϯ ຮբҿ𐐽ﺃԲl ϯիﺃทց עօu ϯիﺃทk I իԲᖙ ϯօ ᖙօ ϯօ ցҿϯ > നע Մຮҿทҿϯ rҿԲᖙҿr ϯօ աօrk աﺃϯի ทօท ᗋៜᑕII 𐐽իԲrԲ𐐽ϯҿrຮ. Iท ∱Բ𐐽ϯ, ∱rօന > Բll ԲբբҿԲrԲท𐐽ҿຮ ﺃϯ ຮҿҿനຮ Բຮ ϯիօuցի ❆עօur❆ uຮҿทҿϯ rҿԲᖙҿr ᖙօҿຮ ทօϯ ҿ⩗ҿท > Բllօա עօu ϯօ rҿԲᖙ നҿຮຮԲցҿຮ բօຮϯҿᖙ աﺃϯի ຮu𐐽ի uท𐐽օനനօท ﺃϯҿനຮ ∱rօന ϯիҿ > Մϯᖴ-৪ lﺃຮϯ օ∱ ຮעനϦօlຮ. > > ẄիԲϯ ﺃຮ աrօทցᕈ Ẅիע ᖙօท'ϯ עօu ҿ⩗ҿr զuօϯҿ օr rҿຮբօทᖙ ϯօ ຮu𐐽ի നҿຮຮԲցҿຮᕈ ᗋrҿ > עօu ∱ﺃทᖙﺃทց ϯիԲϯ עօur ԲϦﺃlﺃϯﺃҿຮ իҿrҿ Բrҿ നօrҿ lﺃനﺃϯҿᖙ ϯիԲท עօu ϯիօuցիϯᕈ > > Iϯ ຮurҿ ຮҿҿനຮ ϯիԲϯ աԲע! > ᒪѺᒪ! 𝔗 𝙟∪≷† ç𝙝⋲ç𝓴⋲∂ å∩∂ ⨈𝙝≀⧙⋲ ...

=?utf-8?Q?twapi:=20scan=20for=20ne?==?utf-8?Q?w=20hard?= =?utf-8?Q?ware?=
Hi, we have to remove/add some faulty USB devices by power off/on the 5V from the Win7 box. Most of the time it works well, but sometimes it needs to go to the "Device Manager" and press the "scan for new HW" button to show up the newly powered on device. How can I do that from my tcl script using TWAPI (not only list the current state, but trigger a re-scan) ? Torsten I don't know of any way to do this from twapi, even using WMI. If you are not shipping this to others (because of licensing restrictions wrt distribution), the quickest way is to download devcon.exe (free from Microsoft) to the system(s) of interest and from Tcl do a "exec devcon rescan". Alternatively, if you need it I can add the rescan function to twapi. It so happens I'm getting ready to beta the next release. I'm not sure what you mean by "list state". Do you mean state of each device or state as in current list of known devices? /Ashok Hi Ashok, Thank you for support. devcon is a workaround I had already in mind. To have the rescan functionality in twapi would be even better ;-) With "list the current state" I mean the list of discovered devices before the rescan is triggered. The driver of the faulty USB device creates several com ports, a network interface and a USB composite device. If the USB device does not work anymore we disconnect the 5V USB power and only the USB composite device r...

: =?utf-8?Q?Re:=20BASIC=20-=20PRINT=20?==?utf-8?Q?USING?= =?utf-8?Q?=20a=20quad=20value?= #2
Nope ... there are 25 spaces in front of the 0 when displayed on the terminal. ...

UTF-8 strings
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000803010105090008070109 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit When I try to print strings of Greek or Polish characters, encoded as UTF-8, directly from a TCL script some of the characters aren't printed correctly. If I put the same strings in a file and read them in with the file fconfigured as UTF-8 encoding, the strings will print correctly. How can I get the "internal" strings to print on the wish console properly? I'm using TCL 8.4 on a Win XP Pro system. Pete (To reply NN=01) I've attached the unicode.txt file and my test script is: # read unicode.txt set if [open unicode.txt "r"] fconfigure $if -encoding utf-8 set fpstring [gets $if] set fgstring [gets $if] close $if # print the strings - these print correctly puts $fpstring puts $fgstring puts "" set pstring [encoding convertfrom utf-8 "aącćeęlłnńoósśzżxź AĄCĆEĘLŁNŃOÓSŚZŻXŹ"] set gstring [encoding convertfrom utf-8 "Αυτό είναι μια δοκιμή Ελληνικών"] # print the internal strings - these aren't correct puts $pstring puts $gstring --------------000803010105090008070109 Content-Type: text/plain; name="unicode.txt" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: inline; filename="unicode.txt" YcSFY8SHZcSZbMWCbsWEb8Ozc8WbesW8eMW6IEHEhEPEhkXEmEzFgU7Fg0/Dk1PFmlrFu1jF uQ0KzpHPhc+Ez4wgzrXOr869zrHOuSDOvM6...

utf-8 of a string
I am asking part one of my questions here because I do not know where else to ask it. I have been sent a string in some language whose alphabet is not known to me. How can I find utf-8 representation of this string? Part two of my doubts is related to perl. But I haven't really got around to grappling with it because right now, part one is an obstacle to me. The next step in part two would be to read a CLOB field in a database, and grep it in a perl script to check whether the above string appears in it. I can read this CLOB field and write it to an excel sheet, and the excel s...

String Literal version 0.60, String Literal 437 and... Surprise! String Variable
Good news! String Literal version 0.60 is finished, which means all of the MS-DOS Extended ASCII characters (codepage 437) are included. Also, there's String Literal 437, which maps those extended ASCII characters to their old MS-DOS character codes, for use with non-Unicode-aware programs such as Notepad. And then there's String Variable, the proportional version of String Literal. I honestly didn't even plan on doing this until a couple of days ago, but once the title came to me, I just had to go through with it. Anyway, it came out looking really good. I can't wait to s...

Chars (C-Style strings),C++ Strings and wxStrings
Ok, i have the following problem..... I use a library which expects filenames as C++ strings (#include <string>). So i let the user choose a file via wxWindows FileDialog, which's filename of course now is in wxWindow's wxString format. So i try to convert from wxString to string. I have tried several things: I. wxString Filename = "Image.bmp"; const char * charname = Filename.c_str(); string finalstring = charname; ==> Got errormessage that i can't convert from wxChar* to char*, because it seems that c_str() returns wide_chars because ...

How to use String.split to split a mixed encoding string(part encoded in gbk, part encoded in utf-8)
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] Dear Buddies, Yesterday, I sent a mail of let the split ignore the error utf-8 bytes sequences. And I checked the string I wanted to parse in Java and found out that the string is encoded in gbk and part of the string is encoded in utf-8. I am wondering if I could find a way to still split the string by split method, and then I could try to force_encoding part of the string that might encoded in gbk and resolve the problem. I am wondering if there is a way I could do so without the "invalid bytes sequen...

UTF-8 in strings
The reference manual says: 3.5.2(2): The predefined type Character is a character type whose values = correspond to the 256 code positions of Row 00 (also known as Latin-1)=20 of the ISO 10646 Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP). 3.6.3(4): type String is array(Positive range <>) of Character; It seems clear to me: Strings are Latin-1 (except for programs compiled=20 in nonstandard modes). But when I set my Fedora system to use UTF-8, the = strings I get from Ada.Command_Line.Argument contain UTF-8. This means=20 that some of the elements in the string aren't characters, only byte=20 ...

Converting to a UTF-8 String
Hi all, I have a question regarding conversion to UTF-8 from a string. I use the getBytes() string method to get the bytes from the original java string. For some reason, the string get's cut off. I CAN convert this string using the nativa2ascii java function to the correct output. Specifically the example is: // desired output = 2002&#24180;&#31532;4&#22235;&#21322;&#26399;&#12398;&#20986;&#33655;&#38754;&#31309;&#12434;&#30330;&#34920; // actual output (newString value) = 2002&#24180;&#31532;4 // here is the code... String originalString = "2002年第4四�?�期�?�出�?��?��?�'発表"; byte []b = s.getBytes(); // create UTF-8 encoded String String newString = new String( b, 0, length, enc ); What do you think? I have tried using getBytes(<different encodings>) and none of the tries worked. I have a feeling that the string itself may be erroneous - the question marks in the string are questionable - but this is returned from the database itself. ANY thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated! On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:17:42 -0700, Red wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a question regarding conversion to UTF-8 from a string. I use > the getBytes() string method to get the bytes from the original java > string. For some reason, the string get's cut off. I CAN convert this > string using the nativa2ascii java function to the correct output. > > Specifically the example is: >...

Tcl_GetByteArrayFromObj and Utf-8 strings
I've encountered following problem - I'm writing Tcl extension to provide encryption services. It is document-oriented, rather than stream-oriented encryption, so I cannot model it after Trf. There can be either binary or text documents. Now I use ByteArray representation of either plain and encrypted data, and it works well as long as data are US-ASCII, binary or have some 8-bit encoding. But if I try to encrypt data which are non-English text, stored in Tcl variables (i.e. utf-8) I get something which looks like lower bytes of Unicode codes. It seems that when data are converted to bytearray representation, high byte of code is just stripped out. Is there some more clever way to distinguish between binary and utf-8 data, other than explicitly specify this in command parameters? Ideally I want a solution which would transparently recognize UTF-8 texts and encrypt them as such, so non-tcl-based software would decrypt them as utf-8 texts. It is also desirable to transparently distinguish utf-8 from 8-bit binary data upon decryption. Later, I think, can be done by adding \uFEFF at start of utf-8 text. -- Hi Victor, vitus@45.free.net (Victor Wagner) writes: > But if I try to encrypt data which are non-English text, stored in > Tcl variables (i.e. utf-8) I get something which looks like lower > bytes of Unicode codes. Tcl treats text as strings of Unicode characters. While the C API uses UTF-8 encoding for compatibility, the Tcl language itsel...

=?utf-8?B?T2JhbWEgb24gTlNBOiDigJxBIE5vdGhpbmcgQnVyZ2VyIFNlcnZlZCBIb3Q=?= =?utf-8?B?IEFuZCBXaXRoIEEgU3ltcGF0aGV0aWMgU21pbGXigJ0=?=
The Smiling Black Man strikes again. http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/01/obama-speech-nsa-spying-substance.html -- Silver Slimer Buying software ensures its continued existence and improvement Silver Slimer wrote: > The Smiling Black Man strikes again. > > http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/01/obama-speech-nsa-spying-substance.html > > Oh quit worrying yourself and looking like a schoolboy. The NSA does not care about you at all. The facts are that evil doers cannot send a lot of electronic signals around the world and keep their existence secret. No matter what the public face may be, spy agencies are going to keep looking. On 2014-01-18, Amicus Curious <AmicusCurious@outlook.com> wrote: > Silver Slimer wrote: >> The Smiling Black Man strikes again. >> >> http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/01/obama-speech-nsa-spying-substance.html >> >> > Oh quit worrying yourself and looking like a schoolboy. The NSA does > not care about you at all. The facts are that evil doers cannot send a > lot of electronic signals around the world and keep their existence > secret. No matter what the public face may be, spy agencies are going > to keep looking. The problem isn't so much what they are doing now but what some less scrupulous types would do with the apparatus once it is built. If you think you aren't worth worrying about, there plenty of historical ...

=?utf-8?B?U1BBUksgc3ludGF4IGFuZCDigJx1c2UgdHlwZeKAnSA6IGxhY2sgb2YgZmU=?= =?utf-8?B?YXR1cmUgPw==?=
Hi, I meet a strange behavior with the SPARK syntax checker (via the examine= r). If I have something of the form procedure My_Procedure is Who_Know_What : Who_Know_What_Type; use type My_Type; begin ... bla-bla-bla ... end My_Procedure; it's OK. While if I have something like procedure My_Procedure is use type My_Type; begin ... bla-bla-bla ... end My_Procedure; Then the spark syntax checker complains =E2=80=9CSyntax Error reserved "= IS" cannot = be followed by "USE" here.=E2=80=9D So, if the =E2=80=9Cuse type=E2=80=9D comes after any kind of declaratio= n (type or = entity), that's OK, but if this comes at the first place, or worst, alon= e, = so that it cannot be anywhere than at the first place, then it is reject= ed. Strange. So much strange to me that I wonder if weither or not this is = something which had not been seen as a possible issue. What people here think about it ? Is SPARK missing something or is there a rational ? On 24 May, 19:41, Yannick Duch=EAne (Hibou57) <yannick_duch...@yahoo.fr> wrote: > Hi, > > I meet a strange behavior with the SPARK syntax checker (via the examiner= ). I can't get the behaviour that you are reporting (I'm still on GPL version 8.1.1) - can you post a complete SPARKable example? > If I have something of the form > > =A0 =A0 procedure My_Procedure > =A0 =A0 is > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Who_...

LilyPond =?UTF-8?B?Mi4xMOKAlDEwIHllYXJzIGFubml2ZXJzYXJ5IHJlbGVhcw==?= =?UTF-8?B?ZQ==?=
Utrecht the Netherlands—November, 2006. The initial inspiration for LilyPond came ten years ago when two musician friends grew disappointed with the bland and boring look of computer formatted scores. Every musician prefers to read beautiful music, so couldn't we programmers solve that printing problem? LilyPond just does that: it prints music in the best traditions of classical engraving with minimum fuss. Don't waste time on tuning spacing, moving around symbols, or shaping slurs. Impress friends and colleagues with sharp sheet music! Check out LilyPond at http://lilypond.org NEW STUFF * Creating music with good page turning points is easier than ever. The new page breaking algorithm will tune both horizontal and vertical spacing. Hence, page turns will only fall at rests or places that you mark explicitly. * Flat music export format. LilyPond uses an elegant input format, that uses identifiers, arbitrary nested structures and inline Scheme expressions. While the format is easy to write and read for humans, it is less so for programs. With this release, Erik Sandberg has contributed internal rewrites that make it possible to output a much simpler intermediate format. In the long term, this will enable other programs to read LilyPond music. * Many small features and formatting improvements. This includes support for falls and doits, dashed barlines, al niente hairpins, right hand fingerings ...

Are =?UTF-8?B?4oCdZXh0ZW5kZWQgY2hhcmFjdGVyc+KAnSBzYWZlIGluIGlkZW4=?= =?UTF-8?B?dGlmaWVycz8=?=
The syntax of ECMAScript has allowed “extended characters” in identifiers since 3rd edition (1999). This means, among other things, allowing any Unicode letters, like Greek, Arabic, and Cyrillic letters as well as e.g. Chinese ideographs. As far as I can see, this has been supported in web browsers for a long time (e.g., ever since IE 5.5). So is it really safe to use them, writing, say var π = Math.PI; var ผลบวก = 0; function Götterdämmerung() or are there some pitfalls? Various coding conventions as well as practical editing issues (you can’t be sure of always being able to edit your code on a Unicode-enabled editor) aside, is there still some real technical reason to stick to the A–Z, a–z, 0–9, ”$”, ”_" repertoire? -- Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/ Jukka K. Korpela wrote: > The syntax of ECMAScript has allowed “extended characters” in identifiers since 3rd edition (1999). This means, among other things, allowing any Unicode letters, like Greek, Arabic, and Cyrillic letters as well as e.g. Chinese ideographs. As far as I can see, this has been supported in web browsers for a long time (e.g., ever since IE 5.5). > > So is it really safe to use them, writing, say > > var π = Math.PI; > var ผลบวก = 0; > function Götterdämmerung() > > or are there some pitfalls? Various coding conventions as well as practical editing issues (you can’t be sure of always being able to edit your code on a Unicode-enabled edi...

Microsoft Facing =?UTF-8?B?wqMyNW0gQXJnZW50aW5pYW4gTGludXggTGF3cw==?= =?UTF-8?B?dWl0?=
[quote] Microsoft Facing £25m Argentinian Linux Lawsuit Exclusive: A legal dispute between Microsoft and an open source company in Argentina raises questions about the availability of desktop Linux in other countries, experts claim By: Andrew Donoghue March 23, 2010 Microsoft is facing an ongoing legal challenge in Argentina from an open source company which alleges the software giant used its Windows Starter Edition to dominate the country’s operating system market. Argentinian software company Pixart SRL launched the lawsuit in September 2008 but the possibility of the case being heard has become more likely in recent weeks, according to the company’s lawyer Dr Uriel Blustein of Estudio Blustein & Asociados. “It is a suit filed in the ‘National commission for Fair Trading’, for an alleged abuse of dominant position,” Dr Blustein told eWEEK Europe in an email this week. “The Commission in is the process of deciding whether the trial will take place,” (i.e. whether there is enough evidence to justify an investigation). [/quote] http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/microsoft-facing-25m-argentinian-desktop-linux-law-suit-6034 or http://tinyurl.com/23cnkfl The monopoly maintenance continues. -- HPT On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:18:15 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote: > [quote] > Microsoft Facing �25m Argentinian Linux Lawsuit > > Exclusive: A legal dispute between Microsoft and an open source company > in Argentina raises questions about the availabili...

[ciao-users] =?utf-8?B?562U5aSNOiBbY2lhby11c2Vyc10gW3dpbGxjaGFpQDEyNi5jb206IFRoZSBFeGFt?= =?utf-8?B?cGxlIEhlbGxvIHNlZW1zIG1hbGZ1bmN0aW9uXQ==?=
Hi William, CIAO VERSION: 0.4.6 TAO VERSION : 1.4.6 ACE VERSION : 5.4.6 HOST MACHINE: x086 OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux (Fodora 2.6.10) COMPILER NAME : GNU AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: $CIAO_ROOT/CIAO/DAnCE/examples/Hello/descriptors DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: runtime SYNOPSIS: The component Receiver can't receive the message from the component Sender through the parameter -m ***** Description: The example Hello seems malfunction when I run the drive program Starter with the parameter, such as c:\$CIOA_ROOT\DAnCE\examples\hello\descriptors>c:\$CIAO|ROOT\DAnCE\examples\Hello\sender\starter -m Hello, the result always " Receiver - Got message from the server [Default Message]" , according to the program logic, the system should display "starter message" as default or the string after -m setting. >From your following email , you suggest to fill in the message in flatteded_deploymentplan.cdp, would you pls help to tell where to fill in the message in flatteded_deploymentplan.cdp, in connection module or others ? thanks. Brs., Will -----原始邮件----- 发件人: wotte@vuse.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:wotte@vuse.vanderbilt.edu]代表 William Otte 发送时间: 2005年6月14日 0:55 收件人: Tao Lu; Will 抄送: ciao-users@cs.wustl.edu 主题: Re: [ciao-users] [willchai@126.com: The Example Hello seems malfunction] Hi - Tao Lu writes: > ----- Forwarded message from Will <willchai@126.com> ----- > > X-Original-To: lu@dre.vande...

[ciao-users] =?utf-8?B?562U5aSNOiDnrZTlpI06IFtjaWFvLXVzZXJzXSBbd2lsbGNoYWlAMTI2LmNvbTog?= =?utf-8?B?VGhlIEV4YW1wbGUgSGVsbG8gc2VlbXMgbWFsZnVuY3Rpb25d?=

Getting UTF-8 strings from MySQL
Hi everybody, I'm having problems retrieving strings from MySQL in UTF-8. I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) that the strings are being written to the database correctly, because when I use the mysql command-line utility and do a SELECT I see the correct strings there. However, when I retrieve the strings they are not formatted correctly. For example, if I write the string "Kn�ckebr�t" to the database and then try to retrieve it, it comes out as "Kn�?ckebröt". I read the Connector/J manual, where it tells me to do the following to write and read UTF-8 strings to and from MySQL: When opening a connection with MySQL I should use the following code: Properties props = new Properties(); props.setProperty("characterEncoding", "utf-8"); conn = DriverManager.getConnection(connectionString, props); However, when I now try to read a string from a resultset, for example ( where results is a JDBC ResultSet): String messageText = results.getString("messageText"); the text comes out garbled. Does anybody have any suggestions for me to be able to retrieve the text with the correct encoding? Thanks very much, Jonck Hi, just a hint: is your test environment (e.g. shell) able to display utf-8 characters ? the windows cmd.exe is not, in a browser you have to set the encoding correctly. Hope that helps, Patrik Jonck wrote: > Hi everybody, > I'm having p...

Web resources about - utf-8 string literal - comp.lang.c++.moderated

Literal translation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Literal translation , or directed translation , is the rendering of text from one language to another "word-for-word" ( Latin : " verbum pro ...

LITERAL Skyrim Trailer - YouTube
GET THE MP3! - http://bit.ly/skyrimliteralmp3 POSTERS! - http://dft.ba/-TobuscusPoster Oliveology! - http://www.facebook.com/shavewitholiveo ...

Literal camera shootout tests iPhone 5s slo-mo by shooting iPhone 5c
... certainly impressive. Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of iOS Devices , Apple , and iPhone . What do you think? Discuss "Literal ...

‘Apparently Intoxicated’ Prosecutor Allegedly Takes a Literal Bite Out of Crime at an Adult Store
The hangover is going to be that much worse for a prosecutor who has become the prosecutee… Continue reading » Follow Above the Law on Twitter ...

Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Gets Literal at SXSW, with Piggyback Rides
... The start-up has dispatched around 20 piggyback-ride-givers — some of them semi-professional rugby players — to give conference-goers a literal ...

Literal Cartography
Stephan Hormes and Silke Peust created the above map to translate the names of places to their literal meanings: Most of the meanings are bland ...

Watch new Jaguar XF perform a literal high-wire act
Filed under: Marketing/Advertising , Videos , Jaguar , Sedan , Luxury Most automakers undertake a bit of a high-wire act to launch a pivotal ...

Literal Babies Are Shooting Babies
Well this is a disturbing statistic: more and more toddlers are finding guns and shooting people with them . And these probably aren’t all the ...

Even Literal Rocket Scientists Can’t Keep Their Social Security Numbers Safe
This? No problem. Keeping a laptop safe? No dice. (Photo: flickr.com/usnavy) Maybe Matt Honan is right for all the importance we place on them, ...