c++ or c#

Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
best language available) ..is it true??

* sandy:
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

The premise is false but many, including me, agree with the conclusion
that you should learn e.g. C# first (obviously for different reasons).

Learning C# or another language first might take you months or a year
or more  --  and that does not include libraries, which is open-ended.

Then you can start on C++, which will take you much longer.

Btw., value judgements such as "best" and "obsolete" don't belong here.

They are usually signs of trolling.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
"sandy" <sandeep0996@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

I agree with the part that it is better to start learning with C#.
I am though, in no means, C# programmer, but rather an observing fan
from C/C++ camp who read couple C# books.

If you should decide to go C/C++, I would advise to skip C. It's so
addictive,
you will not want to learn anything else :)

Roman

0
news11233 (19)
7/17/2004 5:32:33 PM
sandy wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

Check this: http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/cppcli.htm

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
0
ivr (806)
7/17/2004 5:51:03 PM
Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> The premise is false but many, including me, agree with the conclusion
> that you should learn e.g. C# first (obviously for different reasons).
>
> Learning C# or another language first might take you months or a year
> or more  --  and that does not include libraries, which is open-ended.
>
> Then you can start on C++, which will take you much longer.
>

> Btw., value judgements such as "best" and "obsolete" don't belong here.
>
> They are usually signs of trolling.

You should also check this: http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/cppcli.htm

I am already writing .NET applications in C++.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
0
ivr (806)
7/17/2004 5:52:23 PM
roman ziak wrote:

> I agree with the part that it is better to start learning with C#.
> I am though, in no means, C# programmer, but rather an observing fan
> from C/C++ camp who read couple C# books.
>
> If you should decide to go C/C++, I would advise to skip C. It's so
> addictive,
> you will not want to learn anything else :)

Well... you too: http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/cppcli.htm

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
0
ivr (806)
7/17/2004 5:52:51 PM
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> sandy wrote:
>
>> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c and
>> c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
>> best language available) ..is it true??
>

> Check this: http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/cppcli.htm

Also check the Microsoft roadmap. There check the Visual C++ section:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
0
ivr (806)
7/17/2004 5:56:47 PM
sandy wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

Hmm. In 2004 I say Ruby will make C++ obsolete.

In 1995 they said Java would make C++ obsolete.

In 1992 they said Visual Basic would make C++ obsolete.

In 1988 they said Objective C would make C obsolete.

In 1981 they said Smalltalk would make C obsolete.

So it looks unanimous - C and C++ will become obsolete!

--
  Phlip

phlip_cpp (3852)
7/17/2004 6:12:06 PM
"sandy" <sandeep0996@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

D is as powerful as C++, but much easier to learn because it's a
reengineering of the language based on many years experience with it.

www.digitalmars.com free C/C++/D compilers

0
walter22 (101)
7/17/2004 8:12:50 PM
"roman ziak" <news1@MYLASTNAME.com> wrote in message
> "sandy" <sandeep0996@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> > and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> > best language available) ..is it true??
>
> I agree with the part that it is better to start learning with C#.
> I am though, in no means, C# programmer, but rather an observing fan
> from C/C++ camp who read couple C# books.
>
> If you should decide to go C/C++, I would advise to skip C. It's so
> addictive,
> you will not want to learn anything else :)

I actually found it to be a turnoff after having learned another OO language
(Java).  I couldn't handle the lack of namespaces for functions and the lack
of classes and methods.  But, to each his own.  =)

0
jfa1 (63)
7/17/2004 8:15:23 PM
"Phlip" <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote
> Hmm. In 2004 I say Ruby will make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1995 they said Java would make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1992 they said Visual Basic would make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1988 they said Objective C would make C obsolete.
>
> In 1981 they said Smalltalk would make C obsolete.
>
> So it looks unanimous - C and C++ will become obsolete!

Ha!  You nailed it Philip.  Seems to me that C++ will continue on for the
forseeable future.
Why?  Because it's an international standard, no one owns it.  It's natively
compiled and there are compilers available for C++ on nearly every platform.
etc. etc.  Sure, C++ has it's warts but no other language has as much going
for it.

0
uscode (96)
7/17/2004 9:10:34 PM
USCode wrote:

> > So it looks unanimous - C and C++ will become obsolete!

> Ha!  You nailed it Philip.  Seems to me that C++ will continue on for the
> forseeable future.

Like Seneca said to Nero, during one of his fits: However many you put to
death, you will never kill your successor.

--
  Phlip

phlip_cpp (3852)
7/18/2004 2:51:08 AM
C# is more of a proprietary language, whereas C++ is platform independent.
Although, with the Linux Mono project, C# could be run on Linux...

0
sucoyant (1)
7/18/2004 6:44:46 AM
On 17 Jul 2004 10:08:46 -0700, sandeep0996@yahoo.com (sandy) wrote:

>Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
>and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
>best language available) ..is it true??

There is no 1 best language.

Depending upon what I want to do I might use any of
c++ - systems programming, places driving the hardware to the utmost
Java - to do a system that I want to be easily portable
c#  - to do a windows based gui system -> or Delphi for the same thing
in Win32...
or
Eiffel - anywhere that I thought the design by contract approach would
have sufficient payoff to justify me getting used to programming in
it.
Perl - for quick and dirty scripting or to process text files.

then there are special cases where I might use a functional language
or languages with support for what I want.

C++ is very unlikely to be useless in the near or mid future for
computing, I have always seen more jobs advertised for C++ than other
languages.

C# is, IMO, a simpler and clearer language design than C++ and, with
the current tools for it, I believe it's simpler to put a gui together
in it than any C++ environment that I've seen or used. But I don't
think that C# has the same bredth of features available as C++.
sandy wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

It all depends, on YOU. Take a 15 day break, read C++ and C=EF=BC=83, choose
what YOU want. Nobody can guide you, for nobody knows what you want to
do.

In terms of ease of learning, you would probably find learning C-sharp
easier, though your programs will not be as portable as in case of C++.

It is frankly speaking quite difficult to give a judgemental opinion
without knowing your background and most importantly your needs and
aspirations.

--=20
Imanpreet Singh Arora
isingh AT acm DOT org

sandy wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

Who advised you that C and C++ are now becoming obsolete?
Where did your advisor get that information?
Where is the proof?

Not even the classical languages of FORTRAN, LISP and COBOL
are obsolete.  These languages are at least 30 years old and
don't look like they are going to die anytime soon.

The C language, when it came out, was really cool because
it was a "hybrid" between a high level language like FORTRAN
and low level like assembly.  Because of its ability to
easily access "low level" stuff like hardware, it is a
favorite of the embedded systems people.  Those people won't
go away as long as there are products that have an embedded
processor in them.  As long as they are around and like
their C language, the C language won't becorme obsolete.

I would really like to know the facts that promoted the
concept that C is obsolete.

Oh well, time to go do some obsolete programming on a
new product...

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
          http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
C Faq:   http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:
     http://www.josuttis.com  -- C++ STL Library book

Phlip wrote:

> sandy wrote:
>

>>Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
>>and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
>>best language available) ..is it true??
>

> Hmm. In 2004 I say Ruby will make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1995 they said Java would make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1992 they said Visual Basic would make C++ obsolete.
>
> In 1988 they said Objective C would make C obsolete.
>
> In 1981 they said Smalltalk would make C obsolete.
>
> So it looks unanimous - C and C++ will become obsolete!

:D Good one Philip. And in a slightly different but still appliable
context we can say the same thing about Fortran.
sandy wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to c++ and still learning it. I've been advised that c
> and c++ are now becoming obsolete..I better learn c# (supposedly the
> best language available) ..is it true??

I have to say that your post seems a bit troll-ish (saying in a C++
newsgroup that C and C++ are obsolete and that C# is the best language
available).

But still, I'll have to say that I believe it would be best if you
started by learning C++, based only on the vast userbase it has and
resources that are available (books, sites, usenet archives, etc...)
which are extremely usefull to a newbie. C#, because of it's "young
age", doesn't quite compete with C# in that area (yet?).

There are plenty of other arguments that justify C++ but I will leave
them for other users to point them out.

Hope this helps
Rui Maciel