compiling 'make' w/o 'make' (?)

Now that I am trying to install Debian from a CD, I found that the
network  card was not supported,  I read that some dude had found a
driver for the NIC in a MSI-M662 laptot, I myself don't know what kind
of NIC is in this machine, I am going by what the dude claims.
However, after downloading the alleged driver, I had to compile it,
for that I need to have 'make', but this machine does not have the
make program, after downloading it from the GNU' FTP site, I found out
that I also have to build this program using 'make'.
As you can see I am in a vicious circle, can anyone help me get out of
it.

TIA

jalqadir@gmail.com wrote:
> Now that I am trying to install Debian from a CD, [..]
> As you can see I am in a vicious circle, can anyone help me get out of
> it.

Somebody in the newsgroup for your platform should be able to help.

Come back and post here again when you have a C++ language question.

v.Abazarov (13256)
11/8/2007 8:55:22 PM
On Nov 8, 2:49 pm, "jalqa...@gmail.com" <jalqa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I am trying to install Debian from a CD, I found that the
> network  card was not supported,  I read that some dude had found a
> driver for the NIC in a MSI-M662 laptot, I myself don't know what kind
> of NIC is in this machine, I am going by what the dude claims.
> However, after downloading the alleged driver, I had to compile it,
> for that I need to have 'make', but this machine does not have the
> make program, after downloading it from the GNU' FTP site, I found out
> that I also have to build this program using 'make'.
> As you can see I am in a vicious circle, can anyone help me get out of
> it.
>
> TIA

Do you have a compiler installed such as gcc? If, so, you can tear
apart the make file and enter the commands manually. All a make file
does is call the compiler with differant arguments. You can google
make to translate from a make file to manual commands. If the make
file is very large and full of macros this could be a pain though. A
better bet is to go to a newgroup for your particular distro and ask
for a solution there, as there is most definatly an easier way, but
this is the wrong place to ask it.

0
cpisz (479)

jalqadir@gmail.com wrote:
> However, after downloading the alleged driver, I had to compile it,
> for that I need to have 'make', but this machine does not have the
> make program, after downloading it from the GNU' FTP site, I found out
> that I also have to build this program using 'make'.

  If the source code consists of a bunch of .c files in one single
directory, it might be possible to compile them with a simple
"gcc -O2 *.c -o make". Check CFLAGS and LDFLAGS in the makefile to see
if there are some additional required command-line parameters.
0
nospam270 (2948)