use "old" .so-files with "new" compiler?

Hi, I am quite sure this question has answered here already several
times, but I haven't found the answer yet. Anyway, here is the
question again:

I've got libraries (*.so) that are built with gcc 2.95.2. The gcc
version, I've installed on my computer, is 3.xx and I don't have the
source files of the libraries. Can I link those libraries without
uninstalling my new 3.xx-compiler?

Thanx for your answers in advance. Isn't there a secret flag like "gcc
-useoldlib"? *g*

Philipp

"Philipp" <capri.sonne@gmx.de> wrote...
> Hi, I am quite sure this question has answered here already several
> times, but I haven't found the answer yet.

Perhaps you haven't been looking in right places...

> Anyway, here is the
> question again:
>
> I've got libraries (*.so) that are built with gcc 2.95.2. The gcc
> version, I've installed on my computer, is 3.xx and I don't have the
> source files of the libraries. Can I link those libraries without
> uninstalling my new 3.xx-compiler?

Usually, yes.  However, if you have a way to rebuild them, do.

> Thanx for your answers in advance. Isn't there a secret flag like "gcc
> -useoldlib"? *g*

You would have to ask this in gnu.g++.help.

BTW, the Standard C++ guarantees compatibility between compilers
on the level of source code _only_.  That concerns different
versions of the same compiler too.  So, if you need to know for
sure whether GNU compilers have binary backward compatibility,
you need to ask them directly.  This is a _language_ newsgroup,
not a particular compiler newsgroup.  Just a BTW...

Victor

0
v.Abazarov1 (626)
7/1/2003 2:34:39 PM

Philipp wrote:

> Hi, I am quite sure this question has answered here already several
> times, but I haven't found the answer yet. Anyway, here is the
> question again:
>
> I've got libraries (*.so) that are built with gcc 2.95.2. The gcc
> version, I've installed on my computer, is 3.xx and I don't have the
> source files of the libraries. Can I link those libraries without
> uninstalling my new 3.xx-compiler?

As Victor said, this is of topic

But g++ 3.x and g++ 2.x are binary INcompatible.  Afaik you must
recompile the source if the source is in fact c++ code.  C code does not
have such issues though.

-shane
0
shanem (12)

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

When to use "." and when to use "!"
I'm still confused about this and I can't find anywhere that explains it properly. I have the MS book "Access 2003" in front of me and I'm reading Part 5 about VB and so on. It's telling me about how to refer to a specific database and has the example:- Dim dbMyDb As DAO.Database Set dbMyDb = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Databases(0) but, but, but, but - what do those dots (periods, full stops, call them what you will) mean? (OK, it appears to be the same usage as C/C++/Java when referring to class/structure members, but I wish it would tell me that somewhere) Why are there dots used in referring to object members in this case but when referring to controls on forms (for example) one uses "!". Surely there must be somewhere that helps one understand this basic syntax. -- Chris Green Generally, a dot exposes properties and methods and a bang (!) exposes members of a collection. So forms!frmMyForm.Visible refers to the visible property of frmMyForm, which is a member of the forms collection. What makes this harder (or easier, depending on your perspective) to grasp, is that Access has gotten more and more forgiving about using the "wrong" notation. usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote in news:44316bba.0@entanet: > I'm still confused about this and I can't find anywhere that explains > it properly. > > I have the MS book "Access 2003" in front of me and I'm reading Part 5 > about VB and so on....

Invalid use of "." "!"
In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? Thanks Never mind..... didnt have enough quotation marks. "Learning" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:DQELg.10308$o42.364@tornado.texas.rr.com... > In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... > this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers > to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed > first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am > getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. > > How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? > > Thanks > > ...

"ClientConn", "ClientRate" and "Connect"
Hello. Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? For example: -----part of /etc/mail/access----- ClientConn:192.168.1 1 ClientRate:192.168.1 1 Connect:192.168.1 RELAY ----------------------------------- -- Regards, Sergey Sergey wrote: > Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? > For example: > ClientConn:192.168.1 1 > ClientRate:192.168.1 1 > Connect:192.168.1 RELAY See cf/README. Connect:cyberspammer.com REJECT Connect:TLD REJECT Connect:192.168.212 REJECT would refuse mail from spammer@aol.com, any user from cyberspammer.com (or any host within the cyberspammer.com domain), any host in the entire top level domain TLD, 192.168.212.* network, >.. Hmm, for ClientConn and ClientRate it doesn't seem to be documented. The sendmail X documentation has this explanation: .... icr:10 5 Note, however, that the limits apply only to single IP addresses, they are not aggregated for nets. That is, for the example every single host in the IP net 10.x.y.z can have a maximum incoming connection rate of 5 messages per minute. -- Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster is too lazy to trim his arti...

"Plagiarism" or "fair use" or "~intended use" for WEB published material
A friend is deep in the clutches of Yahoo! as her WEB access is through SBC DSL. Some Yahoo pages evidently have an "Email a Fiend" link as I (and others) received the following message: " D*** M*** (**********@sbcglobal.net) has sent you a news article. (Email address has not been verified.) ------------------------------------------------------------ Personal message: I thought this was really neat so I wanted to share it with all of you. love me Comics and Editorial Cartoons: Ziggy on Yahoo! News http://news.yahoo.com/comics/ziggy ============================================================ Yahoo! News http://news.yahoo.com/ " I liked the cartoon enough to let friends know about it. But, from the formation of the URL and the page design, I suspect that URL will only yield this *specific* cartoon for a limited time. I can download the image to my machine and use my copy as an attachment to an email to guarantee they see the cartoon I intended. Just how close to plagiarism does this come? [ I see no major problem in explicitly this particular case as cartoonist's name and copyright info is embedded in the image. ] Comments anyone? Richard Owlett wrote: > A friend is deep in the clutches of Yahoo! as her WEB access is through > SBC DSL. Some Yahoo pages evidently have an "Email a Fiend" link as I Email a _fiend_? And you admit to it? > (and others) received the following message: > " > D*** M*** (*...

Should I use "SERVER_NAME" or "HTTP_HOST"
After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of "HTTP_HOST"? howa wrote: > After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host > > Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of > "HTTP_HOST"? Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? Hugh Oxford wrote: > howa wrote: > > After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host > > > > Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of > > "HTTP_HOST"? > > Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? I have multiple domain listening on the same IP/port. So my php need to find out which domain user is requesting for. So should I use which of them is more reliable/secure? howa wrote: > > Hugh Oxford wrote: >> howa wrote: >>> After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host >>> >>> Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of >>> "HTTP_HOST"? >> Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? > > I have multiple domain listening on the same IP/port. So my php need > to find out which domain user is requesting for. > So should I use which of them is more reliable/secu...

Is there a "break" "continue" equivalent in the "for" or "while" statement in SKILL?
Thank you! madhero wrote, on 07/03/08 09:42: > Thank you! Not directly, but see: http://tinyurl.com/69wte8 http://tinyurl.com/6ycdbn for two related threads in this group. Regards, Andrew. ...

What is the difference between "Borland C++" and "Turbo C++"?

Definition of "shall", "should", "must", etc.
Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms like "shall" and "should" and "must"? I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. Your thoughts... "C. J. Clegg" <reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> wrote in message news:jbsbh19g228ne84213f8kh0uvccj5ie6sg@4ax.com... > > Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms > like "shall" and "should" and "must"? > > I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / > "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. > When in doubt, place an explicit statement that serves to indicate the interpretation that will be used (make certain it is not inconsistent with the customers rules and regulations) > Your thoughts... C. J. Clegg wrote: > Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms > like "shall" and "should" and "must"? > > I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" / > "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably. > > Your thoughts... oh ...the beauty of google and having worked in telecomms where this knowledge is an (unfortunate) must (no pun intended) http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section...

what is the difference between "tsu", "su" and "sudo"?
Hi all I needed to ask a question about the Linux commands used for getting root access. The question is, what is the difference between "tsu", "su", and "sudo"? I am mainly interested about the "tsu" command regarding which there seems to be very little documentation. What is the benefit in using e.g. "tsu" rather than "su"? And are there other ones besides these 3? (If yes, any pointers to a website discussing all of them would be appreciated.) Thanks in advance, JJ <santa@temporaryinbox.com> writes: >Hi all >I needed to ask a question about the Linux commands used for getting >root access. >The question is, what is the difference between "tsu", "su", and >"sudo"? Never heard of tsu. Not on my system. >I am mainly interested about the "tsu" command regarding which there >seems to be very little documentation. So for something like securly logging in why in the world would you use something for which you can find no docs? You look up the barrel of guns to see if they are loaded while you pull the trigger as well? >What is the benefit in using e.g. "tsu" rather than "su"? For something like su, I would say there is no benefit. >And are there other ones besides these 3? (If yes, any pointers to a >website discussing all of them would be appreciated.) ???? W...

"refreshdata" against "set"
Which one is better, "refreshdata" or "set"? Simply by looking at the code I've noticed that refreshdata does: 1) Finds all the properties of the object which end with 'DataSource' 2)Evaluates all of the relevant variables in the upper workspace 3) Does set(h,....) It looks like there is no advantage in using refreshdata, as it ultimately calls set, but does bunch of other operations. In my GUI, I've implemented polygon movement with both, and using directly "Set" is much smoother. Please correct me if I'm wrong. ...

"Ritual" is "MumboJumbo"
Well it looks as if Ritual has been "saved". Don't know if we'll ever get to see a SiN Episodes 2 or another Painkiller, but at least this bunch of talented people have jobs in the industry still. MumboJumbo are better known for casual games like Luxor. Let's hope they decide to branch out a bit and venture into the Action/FPS games market. Somehow I can't quite see myself getting over excited at the prospect of "Super Collapse: Episode 3- Revenge of the Orange and Blue Marbles". http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=74809 -- Rob Rob wrote: > Well it looks as if Ritual has been "saved". Don't know if we'll ever > get to see a SiN Episodes 2 or another Painkiller, but at least this > bunch of talented people have jobs in the industry still. > > MumboJumbo are better known for casual games like Luxor. Let's hope > they decide to branch out a bit and venture into the Action/FPS games > market. > > Somehow I can't quite see myself getting over excited at the prospect > of "Super Collapse: Episode 3- Revenge of the Orange and Blue > Marbles". > > http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=74809 Oh you bastard, and RIGHT on the exact same minute as me! :) "Rob" <noemailformethx@jsjsaiiowppw.invalid> wrote in message news:5rjfr2d2dhnmjmo4k74p1kl3qrhmnnpv46@4ax.com... > > W...

gem "before" and "after" filters?

Matching "Goto" for "From"
Hello, i am a newer ,this is a problem when i learn a example, when i simulated it ,there always are warnings such as: Warning: Matching "Goto" for "From" 'untitled/DC Machine/iA/source' not found. Warning: Matching "Goto" for "From" 'untitled/DC Machine/iF/source' not found. Warning: Matching "From" for "Goto" 'untitled/DC Machine/FCEM/Goto' not found. Warning: Matching "From" for "Goto" 'untitled/DC Voltage Source/Goto' not found. Warning: Using a default value of 0.02 for maximum step size. The simulation step size will be limited to be less than this value. now, i can not sovle the problem, so i need you help , thank you ! ...

Cannot Use "ifconfig" nor "iwconfig" effectively
Hello, I am having difficulty in bringing up the commands of "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" up through a terminal. I am running Linux Fedora Core 3 and for some reason, when I log in as the root user, I receive the error message "command not found". Any reason for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jeff In comp.os.linux.networking Jeffrey D. Yuille <jeffy5@optonline.net>: > Hello, > I am having difficulty in bringing up the commands of "ifconfig" > and "iwconfig" up through a terminal. I am running Linux Fedora Core 3 > and for some reason, when I log in as the root user, I receive the error > message "command not found". Any reason for this? Any help would be > appreciated. Thanks in advance. Show us the output of the following commands: ls -l /sbin/ifconfig rpm -V net-tools -- Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94) mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/' #bofh excuse 115: your keyboard's space bar is generating spurious keycodes. "Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@optonline.net> wrote: >Hello, > > I am having difficulty in bringing up the commands of > "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" up through a terminal. I am > running Linux Fedora Core 3 and for some reason, when I > log in as the root user, I receive the error message > &...

What type "T" or "auto" should I use for i?
What type "T" or "auto" should I use for i? - C++ 11 allowed template<class number> bool is_zero(const number& n) { for (T i = 0 ; i < n.digits(); i++) { if (n[i] != 0) return false; } return true; } The objective is to have a correct and fast code. Mathematically speaking, the value returned by digits() and the value of i are both positives integers. The value returned in digits() can be converted/stored inside a computer using some integral type available in the C++ language. The type used to index operator [](type index) is also some C++ integral type. I have control about the "number concept", but I don't want to add "computer" details. For instance, I could add to the type the maximum number of digits allowed. struct number { static const some_integral_type max_digits = some_value; } but I don't want to add typedefs like size_t, bits and bytes. I want to find out the best types based on math requirements, using traits, decltype etc.. -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On 2012-04-13 18:49:15 +0000, Thiago Adams said: > What type "T" or "auto" should I use for i? - C++ 11 allowed > > template<class number> > bool is_zero(const number& n) > { > for (T i = 0 ; i < n.digits(); i+...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Has "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", and "Critical" Flaw

Dijkstra's "Enumeration" = "Metrics" his "Abstraction" = "Quality"
"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool under the severe boundary condition that we only use it very moderately. We should appreciate abstraction as our main mental technique to reduce the demands made upon enumerative reasoning." ~ EW Dijkstra This is critically decisive because Dijkstra is saying that in most *software engineering" contexts, most of the time, abstraction is key relative to "metrics", the numerical, the quantitative. It is a TOWWWEEERRRING, grand slam "home run". It is of Doug William's 3-4 perfectly pitched Super Bowl touchdowns. It is growth in insight after Dijkstra one of THE very best ran into major impasses attempting to drive development with metrics. His insight is that ABSTRACTION should "lead" the way. While there is the dialectic: metrics<=>abstraction The predominant factor to engage and lead software engineering by is "abstraction". So notation wise better: metrics<=>abstraction* And to denote analyzing or summarizing the dialectic applied in whatever context, from point 'a' to 'b': a,b{ metrics<=>abstraction* Discrete points: a,b; l,q{ metrics<=>abstraction* Have at your own meaningful fun! Elliott -- Global Plans + IID = part of an optimal approach On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:36:17 -0500, "Universe" <universe@tAkEcovadOuT.net> wrote: >"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool und...

=Iff(([Me]![Gender])="M","Male","Female")
Thanks in Advance! ... I have two textboxes: 1 is visible (and gets its value based on the invisible textbox and displays either "Male" or "Female", and needs to display either male of female based on the value that comes up in the tables record as "M" or "F". I tried: =Iff(([Me]![Gender])="M","Male","Female") 'the [Me] is form, [Gender] is the textbox name and this does not work. Is my syntax wrong or can I just have one box and its displayed value display "Female" if the record says "F"? Thanks! Brian When you say it doesn't work, do you mean the visible text box is empty? Or, does it display an error? Out of curiousity, why are you using two text boxes? I think it might be simpler to use a single combo box. Make its properties like so: Control Source: Gender Row Source Type: Value List Row Source: "M";"Male";"F";"Female" Column Count: 2 Column Heads: No Column Widths: 0" Bound Column: 1 This will give you a drop down list with two rows. Since the Column Count is 2, the "M" and "Male" values are the two columns for the first row and the "F" and "Female" are the two columns for the second row. Setting the Column Width to 0" means the first column will not be displayed but since it's the Bound Column, the "M" and "F" will be used as the value of...

new at "awk.info": SQL Awk; embedding Awk in "C"; and more
Here are the recent updates to http://awk.info . (For all updates to awk.info, subscribe to http://tinyurl.com/rss4awk. To contribute to awk.info, see http://awk.info/?contribute .) ----------------------------------------------------------- NEWS Inteview with Aharon Robbins. - http://awk.info/?news/robbinsTalks Ed Morton shows how to print ranges within an input file. - http://awk.info/?tip/printranges Janis Papanagnou shows how to use header names to reference column data. - http://awk.info/?tip/readheaders Tibor Palinkas shows how to embed Awk inside "C". - http://awk.info/?news/libmawk ----------------------------------------------------------- UPDATES Panos Papadopoulos has moved Spawk (SQL+AWK) to GoogleCode. - http://awk.info/?tools/spawk-in-googlecode ----------------------------------------------------------- PAGE OF THE MONTH Google Analytics tells us that awk.info's pages of the month are all our tutorial material: http://awk.info/?Learn Yes, it's true: the Netizens wants to learn Awk. ----------------------------------------------------------- MOST AWK-ISH CITY IN THE WORLD The most Awk-loving city in the world is Athens, Greece. Residents of that city visited awk.info more than anywhere else in the world. Also, Athens' love of Awk is increasing. The August visits have increased a massive 181% from the previous month. Now let's see if I can say this next bit correctly: =C1=E3=E1=F0=E7=F4=DD =C1=E8=DE=ED=E1, =CA=F1=E1=...

what does "!" do here?
#define HALT __asm CLRA; __asm SWI ! {A}, {A+HX+SR}; this is from Metrowerks hidef.h to define macros for HC08 microcontroller. what does "!" do here? ...

Context syntax proposals, using "with", withing "use" etc.
After watching for some time the prolonged dances around "with and use", I'm inclined to contribute to the topic. First, I'd like to say that all the arguments concerned with repeating of a package's name aren't serious at all: as for extra typing, this is a matter of a text editor, not of the language; and as for a possibility of mistake (that is, placing an unintended package's name in "use"), it is a matter of a style and a corresponding style checker compiler option - you have little chance to get such a mistake unnoticed with a quite simple rule: for example, always place "use" and "with" in the same line, and never mix different packages in the same line (compiler can easily verify that). Second, there is still a displeasure here, which can even become a hindrance in some circumsrances: when there are many context clauses for a package, they just occupy too big part of the text; and because those context clauses are necessarily at the beginning of each package, they intersperse and clutter the whole program, which makes reading more difficult (even if each package has its own window) - if one tried not to study thoroughly, but just to read and catch the general method\logic\approach of the program. So my guess is that the real reasons demanding the changes for "with" and "use", if any, aren't about repeated package names, but actually about overall amount of the text in (all) context ...

New to MATLAB, would like to know difference between "mbuild" and "mex" for c++ interface
Hi I am new to using MATLAB and I need to call some functions from a MATLAB program in a standalone C++ app. I am hoping if someone can tell me what is the difference between using mbuild vs mex options ? Thanks in advance John ...

"Trouble running target CPU" error when compiled using "-o3" option
Hi, I have a program written mainly in C in which a C function calls several asembly functions. If I use "-o3" option to compile this C file, CCS gives the following error message after the program starts running: "Trouble running Target CPU: Invalid Destination port address in the trp The Trp ignored .. QCOMP sent Destination Address 0x11d9778 Requestor is CACHE" What could the cause of such problem be? Where should I start to locate the problem? Thanks for any kind of suggestions! Sincerely, Rose rose wrote: > Hi, > > I have a program written mainly in C in which a C function calls > several asembly functions. If I use "-o3" option to compile this C > file, CCS gives the following error message after the program starts > running: > > "Trouble running Target CPU: Invalid Destination port address in the > trp The Trp ignored .. QCOMP sent Destination Address 0x11d9778 > Requestor is CACHE" > > What could the cause of such problem be? Where should I start to > locate the problem? > > Thanks for any kind of suggestions! > > Sincerely, > > Rose Is the target CPU properly connected? If not, there will surely be trouble when trying to run it. There must be a way to compile the code without trying to run the result, it that's what you want to do. Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ������������������������������...

Web resources about - use "old" .so-files with "new" compiler? - comp.lang.c++