Visual C++'s :"clean solution" doesn't clean the solution?

Hello,

I'm trying to build a large project, and I've found that
when something doesn't compile properly, and I attempt
to re-build it, Visual C++ Express doesn't make a new
attempt. So then I try to clean the solution, but
this has literally no effect because when I try to
build after that, again no attempt to made to build.

Can someone tell me to really to clean the solution,
removing all intermediate files and output files?

Thanks.
0
plenty900 (47)

On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:01:11 -0700, plenty900 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a large project, and I've found that when something
> doesn't compile properly, and I attempt to re-build it, Visual C++
> Express doesn't make a new attempt. So then I try to clean the solution,
> but this has literally no effect because when I try to build after that,
> again no attempt to made to build.
>
> Can someone tell me to really to clean the solution, removing all
> intermediate files and output files?

Someone in another newsgroup probably can:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

--
Lionel B
0

Try to run procmon when you 'clean' from visual studio (which version are
you using?)..
It may be possible that intermediate files are locked by some process (most
likely visual studio.) Try exiting visual studio or else, find handle using
Process Explorer and try to close it forcefully.

Jigar Mehta

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a large project, and I've found that
> when something doesn't compile properly, and I attempt
> to re-build it, Visual C++ Express doesn't make a new
> attempt. So then I try to clean the solution, but
> this has literally no effect because when I try to
> build after that, again no attempt to made to build.
> Can someone tell me to really to clean the solution, removing all
> intermediate files and output files?
>
> Thanks.

0
jigarme (2)
5/30/2008 1:07:35 PM
<plenty900@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
682a285c-fd67-4fb9-8d8a-2c2971731125@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a large project, and I've found that
> when something doesn't compile properly, and I attempt
> to re-build it, Visual C++ Express doesn't make a new
> attempt. So then I try to clean the solution, but
> this has literally no effect because when I try to
> build after that, again no attempt to made to build.
>
> Can someone tell me to really to clean the solution,
> removing all intermediate files and output files?
>
> Thanks.

Are the projects dependencies properly set?

> Are the projects dependencies properly set?

Yes insofar as the solution has 4 projects, and the dependencies
between projects are correct. Actually, the project that
is nary impossible to get built is the one that 3 of the 4
depend upon.

I've discovered that if I manually remove all obj files
in Cygwin i.e.
  rm -f `find . -name "*.obj"`
then this helps.
0
plenty900 (47)
5/30/2008 1:40:47 PM
On May 30, 9:07=A0am, Jigar Mehta <jiga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi plenty...@yahoo.com,
>
> Try to run procmon when you 'clean' from visual studio (which version are
> you using?)..

I'm using VC++ 9 Express. Also using Vista which hasn't got procmon.

0
plenty900 (47)
5/30/2008 1:41:37 PM
On May 30, 9:01 am, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Can someone tell me to really to clean the solution,
> removing all intermediate files and output files?

Ask this question here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=161&SiteID=1

That is Microsoft's official VC++ Express user help forum. It exists
for questions about VC++ Express. This newsgroup, comp.lang.c++, is
for general questions on the syntax and semantics of the C++ language
itself. You will get a better answer in the appropriate place.

Jason