Re: In the matter of Herb Schildt

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

In message <clcm-20091023-0001@plethora.net>, spinoza1111=20
<spinoza1111@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Not all of us have the patience of a Schildt who has been silent
>> > online about his treatment.
>>
>> This could show patience, or lack of concern, or total unawareness. =A0We
>> have no way to determine which is which.

>My information, the sources of which aren't your business, is that he
>and his family are upset by your attacks.

I don't believe you.

I don't believe he cares one whit or jot about Peter's page or mine.=20
He's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

--=20
Clive D.W. Feather                  | Home: <clive@davros.org>
Mobile: +44 7973 377646             | Web:  <http://www.davros.org>
Please reply to the Reply-To address, which is:  <clive@davros.org>
--
comp.lang.c.moderated - moderation address: clcm@plethora.net -- you must
or the newsgroup name in square brackets in the subject line.  Sorry.

See related articles to this posting

On Oct 24, 6:43=A0am, "Clive D.W. Feather" <cl...@davros.org> wrote:

> >> This could show patience, or lack of concern, or total unawareness. =
=A0We
> >> have no way to determine which is which.
> >My information, the sources of which aren't your business, is that he
> >and his family are upset by your attacks.
>
> I don't believe you.
>
> I don't believe he cares one whit or jot about Peter's page or mine.
> He's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

That might make you feel good, but according to my sources, it is
untrue. You and your friend Seebach maligned him at a level actionable
especially in British libel law.

But while you're here, I need from you a statement of your educational
qualifications in computer science. Thank you.

--
comp.lang.c.moderated - moderation address: clcm@plethora.net -- you must
or the newsgroup name in square brackets in the subject line.  Sorry.
0
Reply spinoza1111 10/26/2009 2:20:12 PM
comp.lang.c.moderated 1019 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: In the matter of Herb Schildt #2
[Hmm; I go away for a few days and he's still at it.] >>>>> Not all of us have the patience of a Schildt who has been silent >>>>> online about his treatment. [...] >> I don't believe he cares one whit or jot about Peter's page or mine. >> He's probably laughing all the way to the bank. > > That might make you feel good, but according to my sources, it is > untrue. You and your friend Seebach maligned him at a level actionable > especially in British libel law. Bwa-ha-ha-ha. (1) There's no such thing as...

Re: In the matter of Herb Schildt #3
In message <clcm-20091222-0014@plethora.net>, spinoza1111 <spinoza1111@yahoo.com> wrote: >> (1) There's no such thing as "British libel law". > >Wow. Izzat so? I teach British constitutional law based on "AV Dicey's >Introduction to the Study of the Law of the Constitution", and Ian >Loveland's "Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, and Human Rights", Well, Otto, if you'd actually understood what you read, you'd have realized that there is no such thing as British law. Here's a big clue: Englan...

In the matter of Herb Schildt
My blog post at http://spinoza1111.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/in-the-matter-of-herb-schildt/ summarizes my views and will be extended when I have the time with a detailed commentary on Peter Seebach's and Clive Feather's disorganized and nasty attacks on Herb. I will host a discussion of this article at my blog. I will be somewhat less generous than Peter Seebach has been in moderating comments at comp.lang.c.moderated. Pure expressions of hatred such as Harlan's and quertyuiop will find their authors in my spam queue. However, no comment whatsoever by my targets, Seebac...

In the matter of Herb Schildt: article renamed
The "Herb Schildt" article has been renamed in a pretty sleazy move, since it's still materially a biography and still in material violation of BLP. This was due to the actions of a few brave individuals. Post your comments supporting the rename, and the removal of all biographical information that is not about his writing. Note that despite the fact that it was I who protected Wikipedia by alerting W to the BLP violation, I am being continually censored and vandalized by the Lanier-troll, thug and bully Barsoomian. This is while actionably libelous comments by Peter Seeb...

In the matter of Herb Schildt: wikipedia entry must be fixed
We now know that: CTCR ed. 4 was released in 2000 CTCN references (unskillfully) ed. 3. CTCN is a major reference in the inappropriate "biography" of Herb Schildt that was posted as the home page for malicious libel in 2006 This is a major violation of Wikipedia's Biographies of Living Persons policy and a major error. Therefore, without any special care for wikipedia in view of its numerous malfeasances, I hereby request Peter Seebach to remove the Reception section and all footnotes from the wikipedia article which are used only in Reception, and make no furth...

In the matter of Herb Schildt: the question of a "bad" book
The centrepiece of the case against Schildt seems to be that some of his books are "bad" in the language of the *imams* who preach *fatwas* against Schildt to the *taliban* in their *Madrassah*, But I can prove the following assertion: there is *no such thing as a bad book*. There is a reason why an educated and cultured individual never talks about "bad" books for the same reason dog lovers say "no bad dogs". Suppose an educated and cultured individual is at Border's bookstore, and she picks up a book. She doesn't like it. What does she do? ...

In the Matter of Herb Schildt: a Detailed Analysis of "C: The Complete Nonsense"
The text is on wordpress at http://spinoza1111.wordpress.com/2010/04/03/in-the-matter-of-herb-schildt-a= n-analysis-of-c-the-complete-nonsense/ For your convenience in making comments, here is the same text in ASCII format. In the Matter of Herb Schildt: an Analysis of =93C: the Complete Nonsense=94 Let=92s now deconstruct Peter Seebach=92s document =93C: the Complete Nonsense=94, an attack on Herb Schildt=92s first edition of =93C: the Complete Reference=94 which in becoming the sole source of subsequent claims that Schildt wrote =93bad books=94, which unfairly damaged his good name. Let=...

Re: Re: Language vs. Library why it matters
Richard Fateman, to my knowledge (I am not a Mathematician) the classic works of mathematician Kurt Goedel and computer scientist Alan Turing shows that both Mathematics and computer programs have this property: > contrary to some comments > here, it IS NOT nice to have a language so complicated that you > don't > know what it will do, and use as an excuse that's ok because no one > else knows either, and often it does the right thing. That is, I think, the reason why Andrzej Kozlowski gave you that somehow ironic answer about Arithmetic. It might n...

Re: Re: Language vs. Library why it matters #2
On 22 Oct 2005, at 13:36, Richard J. Fateman wrote: > Bill Rowe wrote: > > > > >> >> >> My intent was merely to make the point Godel's results must apply >> to Mathematica since they clearly apply to mathematics and >> Mathematica >> by design is intended to encompass mathematics. >> >> >> > > Not so. Mathematica does not prove theorems, generally. Some > mathsource > programs may construct some proofs in some limited context, but those > don't contradict Godel's result. &...

"It doesn't matter if you're a good programmer, it's the syntax that matters"
I guess this goes against all that I'm learning right now (lisp, forth, smalltalk), but I have no doubts and no regrets, and I'm keeping on. In fact, I think this article, though on the face of it fair, can be quite misleading. eWeek's 10 Programming Languages You Should Learn Right Now http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2016415,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594 casioculture@gmail.com wrote: > I guess this goes against all that I'm learning right now (lisp, forth, > smalltalk), but I have no doubts and no regrets, and I'm keeping on. In > fact, I think this a...

Redux: "It doesn't matter if you're a good programmer, it's the syntax that matters"
Hi, guys. Remember this thread? I accidentally suggested that a zip of an XML database was an adequate file format, competitive with the usual roll-my-own-cause-I'm-smart binary data formats. I am aware there's lots of XML-abuse out there, and I am not advocating more. I brought up the example of KOffice, where the KSpread format was merely a GZipped XML file. Rainer Weikusat wrote: > I therefore suggest another hypothesis wrt XML: This is not a data format > at all, but either some weird religion or a powerful drug, and trying to > argue with believers/addicts is ...

Re: Only a matter of time
"Steve Carroll" <fretwizz@comcast.net> stated in post fretwizz-D05426.19373920082005@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 8/20/05 6:37 PM: >> There was nothing in error with my original position. No where did I >> write that it was the only reason. > > You implied it throughout the thread. Implied or "claimed". Before you made an "absolute statement" that he claimed it: > You asked me to ... support the claim you made. and I didn't ask for an education, I asked him to back his claim. That you don't differentiate bet...

Re: [LogoForum] Logo and other herbs
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. At 05:33 31. 3. 2005, jotape1960 wrote: According to Norbert and Pavel, the Imagine commercial version of Logo works so fine. But, I hope this version has the very well-known traditional Logo primitives (as FD, RT, CIRCLE, etc.) and a more fast graphic interface (at least, without blinking when we use dress up turtles). Yes, Imagine has all the traditional Logo primitives (by the way, CIRCLE is not a traditional primitive, traditionally it was painted like repeat 360 [fd 1 rt 1] only added to later implementations of Logo). But some ...

Re: A small matter of detail...
On 11/23/05, prep@prep.synonet.com <prep@prep.synonet.com> wrote: > I just got a CD kit for Alphas, the DEC04 one and went to > have a look see. Well, knowing that CSWING and ISO CDs are > not on speaking terms, I copied the openvms directory from the > system tools disk to a disk with about 1.7Gb free... And ran out > of space!! > > And when I look at the wreckage, I find 9 or 10 copies of all the > files! It seems that the copy moved the entire subtree, then went back > and did it all over again, and again... untill the disk filled. What account were you log...

Re: On the matter of testing things...
"PeskyBee" <peskybee2@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9Whsj.16067$0I1.9468@en-nntp-04.dc1.easynews.com... > This is just a test. Ignore, if you will. > If you don't want to ignore, then enjoy! > > I'm just testing my newsreader. But also I'm testing the > patience of all you here (are there anybody here?). > > After all, in a few decades we will have here > with us "ascii-robots" that will be intellectually > indistinguishable of humans. Who can doubt that? As I understand it, some believe that ASCII Keyboards already ha...

Re: What's the matter with this?
intertemp={{14,17,{0.7929,0.4366},{2.8146,11.3986}}}; intertemp=MapAt[Mod[#,14,1]&, intertemp, {1,2}] {{14, 3, {0.7929, 0.4366}, {2.8146, 11.3986}}} or intertemp={{14,17,{0.7929,0.4366},{2.8146,11.3986}}}; intertemp=ReplacePart[intertemp, Mod[intertemp[[1,2]],14,1], {1,2}] {{14, 3, {0.7929, 0.4366}, {2.8146, 11.3986}}} Bob Hanlon > > From: Steve Gray <stevebg@adelphia.net> > Date: 2005/04/15 Fri AM 04:48:29 EDT > To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net > Subject: What's the matter with this? > > I have a list > > intertemp[[1]] ...

Re: What's the matter with this?
On 4/15/05 at 4:48 AM, stevebg@adelphia.net (Steve Gray) wrote: >I have a list >intertemp[[1]] = {{14, 17, {0.7929, 0.4366}, {2.8146, 11.3986}} The curly braces above are not balanced. Did you mean {14, 17, {0.7929, 0.4366}, {2.8146, 11.3986}} ? >and a simple function >modxx[axx_] := axx[[2]] = Mod[axx[[2]], 14, 1]; >When I do modxx[intertemp[[1]]] I get this: >Set::setps: {14, 17, {0.792902, <<19>>}, {2.81469, 11.3986}} in >assignment of part is not a symbol. >What does this mean and how can I do it correctly? I must be making...

RE engines and related matters
>From Lambda the Ultimate blog, a link to an interesting article about such topics: http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/ http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2064 Bye, bearophile ...

Re: On the matter of testing things... #2
"PeskyBee" <peskybee2@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9Whsj.16067$0I1.9468@en-nntp-04.dc1.easynews.com... > This is just a test. Ignore, if you will. > If you don't want to ignore, then enjoy! > > I'm just testing my newsreader. But also I'm testing the > patience of all you here (are there anybody here?). > > After all, in a few decades we will have here > with us "ascii-robots" that will be intellectually > indistinguishable of humans. Who can doubt that? As I understand it, some believe that ASCII Keyboards already ha...

[LogoForum] Re: PI and other Logo herbs
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. --- In LogoForum@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Ajoy" <dajoy@o...> wrote: > --- In LogoForum@yahoogroups.com, "jotape1960" <jotape1960@y...> wrote: >> 3) Daniel, if you use the normal "plane" geometry it's so easy to >> calculate all the parabolic values (as your example). Please, tell >> me: Is it the same in the 3D world of MSWLogo? I'm thinking about to >> make a "revolution parabolic object" (a parabolic antenna). > > Yes. > > z = x * x y * y...

[LogoForum] Re: MIDI notes and other herbs
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. > Does somebody know what's happen with the 8 extra bits of the color > values on a 32 bits system? It depends on the system and on the software. Some graphical systems use higher color depth, so bits associated to RGB colors are not 8:8:8, but something like 11:11:10. In other systems the extra 8 bits are used for transperancy. This is the so-called RGBA color red:green:blue:alpha, where alpha channel determines the transperancy. In third systems, the extra byte is used for system information (example Windows' colors). So...

[LogoForum] Re: Turtle, ellipses and other herbs
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. On 7 Feb 2005 at 12:29, LogoForum@yahoogroups.com wrote: > At last, Daniel please try to print all the x-axis y-axis points of > an ellipse 100 200. You'll get some values like 0.05782321918e-99!!! > Well, let's see: to myellipse :rx :ry make "p0 pos make "basex list cos heading -sin heading make "basey list sin heading cos heading make "angle 0 pu repeat 361 [ make "xy (map "sum :p0 (map [? * :rx * sin :angle] :basex) (map [? * :ry * cos :angle] :bas...

Re: Language vs. Library why it matters
David Annetts wrote: > Hi Steve, > > >>If we look at compiled and byte compiled languages such as >>C,C++,Java, C#, etc., we see they typically consist of a core >>language, and standard libraries. In C, and C++ the >>demarcation is very clear. I know I've asked a similar >>question in the past, but it's something that recures to me >>every time I start working with Mathematica. Is there a core >>Mathematica language? If so, what does it consist of? > > > What does it matter? > > > ...

Re: Language vs. Library why it matters
On 10/19/05 at 2:16 AM, hattons@globalsymmetry.com (Steven T. Hatton) wrote: >I'm not sure Gödel's (anti-)proof is the core reason that >Mathematica is difficult to understand, though it certainly plays >into the whole picture. I would agree Godel's theorem's do not explain the steep learning curve for Mathematica. I believe the steep learning curve for Mathematica is due to the richness of the tool set made available. >In particular, Gödel's results tells us any sufficiently powerful >language necessarily leads to the possibility of...