[OT] Text Editor that Does Tables?

I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
on to separate columns.

A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.

Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
then it is a huge job.

Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
that supports ASCII tables directly?

Thanks.
--
David T. Ashley              (dta@e3ft.com)
http://www.e3ft.com          (Consulting Home Page)

0
dta (455)
6/27/2008 4:40:55 PM
comp.lang.c 29965 articles. 1 followers. spinoza1111 (3247) is leader. Post Follow

On Jun 27, 12:40 pm, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:

> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

I would be there's a way to do it with emacs, though off the top of my
head I only know how to delete a vertical column, not insert one.

However emacs is not for everyone... it's as much a religion as a
tool.
0
cs_posting (543)
6/27/2008 5:02:52 PM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40:55 -0400, "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com>
wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.

Why not use Perl to do this? I used to use awk, back in ancient times,
but Perl is very well suited to this kind of text manipulation. Very
C-ish syntax so the learning curve wouldn't be too high.

The canonical free Windows distro is from
<http://www.activestate.com/Products/activeperl/index.mhtml>
Note that they do have commercial "pro" versions as well.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
0
David T. Ashley wrote:
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
(string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
editor has similar functions.

  Stefan

0
stefan.news (242)
6/27/2008 5:23:58 PM
"Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
> David T. Ashley wrote:
>> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the
>> table
>> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but
>> even
>> then it is a huge job.
>>
>> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware
>> of)
>> that supports ASCII tables directly?
>
> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
> editor has similar functions.

Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
one for most editing and one for tables.

Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely, only
on my Linux box)?

I'll also contact SlickEdit to see what they have to say about editing
tables.

0
dta (455)
6/27/2008 5:38:16 PM
"David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
>> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
>> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
>> editor has similar functions.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
> one for most editing and one for tables.
>
> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
> only on my Linux box)?

I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
to Google, whose first hit produces:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search

See section 2.

-Mike

0
mkwahler (3821)
6/27/2008 6:16:54 PM
"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message
> "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>>> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
>>> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
>>> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
>>> editor has similar functions.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors
>> ... one for most editing and one for tables.
>>
>> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
>> only on my Linux box)?
>
> I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
> to Google, whose first hit produces:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search

Make that:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

The first URL I posted was of course the google search command.

-Mike

0
mkwahler (3821)
6/27/2008 6:18:18 PM
"David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> writes:

> "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
> > Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
> > to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
> > (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
> > editor has similar functions.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
> one for most editing and one for tables.

If you're going for emacs, you might want to consider org-mode, which
has a nice table editing mode that can be used as a minor mode; see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables.html#Tables.

tg

David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> >wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.

Doing this sort of thing is a snap using UltraEdit.

http://www.ultraedit.com/

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

0
Guy
6/27/2008 7:43:47 PM

> "Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message
>> "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors
>>> ... one for most editing and one for tables.
>>>
>>> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
>>> only on my Linux box)?
>>
>> I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
>> to Google, whose first hit produces:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search
>
> Make that:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
>
> The first URL I posted was of course the google search command.
>
> -Mike

Thanks.  I've heard about web search engines, but never tried one.  Looks
like they might be useful.

Hey, does Google have stock?  Maybe I can get in on the ground floor before
any other investors?

0
dta (455)
6/27/2008 7:46:57 PM
David T. Ashley wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Notepad++ (Free, Sourceforge) has a couple of features useful here :

a) Shift-Alt-Clk selects any rectangular column of text,
corners set by EditCursor, and current mouse cursor.
You can thus add, or delete whole columns.
^C, ^V of this column, works as expected - still column-tagged.

b) A new mode Column Editor, allows a String to be duplicated from
the Edit Cursor to the EOF, and extends any lines it needs to.
( so you could enter '    |    ' for example to get
your column lines.
The EOF is a quirk, which means you would pull your column block
out to a separate file, and paste back later.

-jg

0
no.spam2900 (819)
6/27/2008 7:57:47 PM
<dta@e3ft.com> wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.
>
>Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
>that supports ASCII tables directly?

I have an ancient version of slickedit that I use and am quite
happy with.  I never use macros so you can probably do something
much more clever than what I would do.  However I would probably
do something like this:  Capture an entire column of vertical
bars (right mouse key select).  Copy it to an empty scratch
buffer.  Select the a rectangular block that includes the space
you want and the vertical bars.  Clip it and replace the original
column of vertical bars.  It's only two select/copy/paste steps.
I daresay you could make a macro out of it.

Richard Harter, cri@tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
Save the Earth now!!
It's the only planet with chocolate.
0
cri (1432)
6/27/2008 8:13:53 PM
wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.
>
>Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
>that supports ASCII tables directly?

You can try kedit. Or THE (The Hessling Editor), which is a clone of
Xedit with enhancements. Uses REXX as it's macro language and can
do block editing.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

0
nobody62 (615)
6/27/2008 8:17:56 PM
"David T. Ashley" wrote:

> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical
> bars and so on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O
> pins and how they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5
> columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of
> the table (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro
> repeatedly, but even then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm
> unaware of) that supports ASCII tables directly?

Look around for VEDIT PLUS.  You can set every tabstop as needed,
and separate fields with tabs.

            Try the download section.

0
cbfalconer (19194)
6/27/2008 8:23:09 PM
On 27 Jun., 18:40, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> David T. Ashley              (d...@e3ft.com)http://www.e3ft.com         (Consulting Home Page)http://www.dtashley.com     (Personal Home Page)http://gpl.e3ft.com         (GPL Publications and Projects)

Ultraedit has a great collum mode (alt-c to toggle between collum and
normal mode)
it can do what I think you want.

it hard to explain how it works but,
try to mark a collum of text, and then cut and paste or type
something, you will see how it works

-Lasse

0
langwadt1 (194)
6/27/2008 9:04:31 PM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40:55 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote:

> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

You can do this easily with JEdit. It has a column mode that you can put
the editor in, but you can also just hold down the ctrl key and click and
drag your mouse to select your column. Then what you type in is applied
to all the lines in the column. So you could do this to create each of your
column's vertical lines - select an area and type the character you're
using for column once, and it will appear on every line in your column.
And of course pressing space will widen you column, delete will narrow it.

On the download page it does say "Even if you're "just a user", you  should
still try the development version". Nah - don't. Go for the stable one.

I use it as my main development editor on both windows and linux. It has
lots of plugins that you can download for it, although the only one I
really use I guess is the diff plugin, which is a pretty good one - *some*
of the other ones are of dubious quality.

Take a look at the screenshots on the website:

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshots

I can't believe no one else suggested it :-)

Regards,

Paul.
0
pt1 (2)
6/28/2008 5:57:28 AM
David T. Ashley wrote:

> Thanks.  I've heard about web search engines, but never tried one.  Looks
> like they might be useful.

Are you kidding?

> Hey, does Google have stock?  Maybe I can get in on the ground floor before
> any other investors?

Try Google to search for it.

For your table question: I'm using UltraEdit, which has a column mode, but
it doesn't sound like a good idea to code 5x200 cell size tables in C
comments. I would use Excel (or OpenOffice on Linux) for it. Then save it
as CSV. Maybe your implementation for the logic function can just read this
CSV and use it at runtime. Or you can write a source code generator, if it
is time critical. You can even write a generator for your comments and a
program, which uses the CSV as test input and calls your function to verify
it against the table.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
fb (1533)
In comp.arch.embedded David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

And, since nobody yet mentioned it, and because the word 'emacs' has
fallen, I'm suggesting the vim editor for All Your Editing Needs.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C
On 2008-06-27, David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

Bit of a golden oldie this one (written for DOS and OS/2) but don't
let that put you off - it's tiny, _uncomfortably_ fast and solves
your problem in a very natural way.  The feature set is not
particularly extensive but it always strikes me as being very well
chosen:

http://tinyurl.com/63llgp

Unlike most other editors, this one's block indent functions work
at the current cursor position rather than the home position.
Adjusting your table columns is as simple as selecting the lines
in question, moving to the right position and hitting shift F7/F8
as appropriate.

I see from your headers that you are running Windows - if your
version supports it (ie NT or 2000) I recommend running the OS/2
version which will give you long filename support.  However, it
isn't really such big deal if you can't - run the DOS version and
use drag and drop which will sort out DOS-compatible filenames
transparently.  Both versions are included in the same zip.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:10:30 +0000, Ico wrote:

> And, since nobody yet mentioned it, and because the word 'emacs' has
> fallen, I'm suggesting the vim editor for All Your Editing Needs.

I don't use emacs but do on occasion use vi, although after about an hour
of using it I have to ask someone to untangle my fingers ;-)

Regards,

Paul.
0
pt1 (2)
6/29/2008 7:11:08 AM
David T. Ashley escribi�:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Multiedit. I bought version 8.0 and have been using it since 1998.
On Jun 27, 5:40=A0pm, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments. =A0I use vertical bars and=
 so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how=

> they are assigned. =A02-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the tabl=
> (sometimes hundreds of lines). =A0I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but =
even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of=
)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

I like ConTEXT. It does column cut-and-paste

--
Nick Keighley

OT: Time for some light humor
Too many bad feelings here folks time to lighten up https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/406954_4280482563446_2099852542_n.jpg -- https://www.createspace.com/3707686 On 11/19/2012 2:44 PM, philo wrote: > Too many bad feelings here folks time to lighten up > > > https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/406954_4280482563446_2099852542_n.jpg > > > > > Please, you are asking too much of the inmates in the Linux and Microsoft wards in this asylum. :) On 11/19/12 12:44 PM, in article k8e27j$32r$2@dont-email.me, "philo�"...

Re: OT: RE: [HP3000-L] Observation #2
Glenn Paden wrote: > > Terrorism is a strategy and because of that war cannot be declared on it and > it cannot be defeated. Terrorism is not a person, group of people nor a > country. Action can be taken against the use of terrorism and the people and > groups that use it however those actions must include much > more than the military force. > Again, this pains me to tell you that your sentiments are very close to President Bush's. Two months ago I quoted the President from http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/20/gen.bush.transcript/: "We will direct ...

[9fans] sed question (OT)
Sorry, not really the place for such questions but... I always struggle with sed, awk is easy but sed makes my head hurt. I am trying to capitalise the first tow words on each line (I could use awk as well but I have to use sed so it seems churlish to start another process). capitalising the first word on the line is easy enough: h s/^(.).*/\1/ y/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/ x s/^.(.*)/\1/ x G s/\n// Though there maye be a much easier/more elegant way to do this, but for the 2nd word it gets much harder. What I really want is sam's ab...

[OT] The Microsoftmobile
What if Microsoft designed cars? http://tinyurl.com/lpxeb In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote on Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:15:01 +0100 <1617343.2eDJPJ2XUP@schestowitz.com>: > What if Microsoft designed cars? > > http://tinyurl.com/lpxeb That looks a bit like a Trabant (which is slightly appropriate at least for the Win9x variants), though perhaps a better example might be http://sunmanford.net/arrival_photo/1974redpinto.html ? :-) (If one wants one in slightly better condition: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9698/default.as...

OT: SCOUG
This is a little off topic. Does anyone know what's going on witn SCOUG's website? It's been down for the ast couple of days. On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:51:06 UTC, Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com wrote: -> This is a little off topic. Does anyone know what's going on witn -> SCOUG's website? It's been down for the ast couple of days. The person hosting the server is in the process of moving to a new place and had to take the server offline. I was told the server was being moved to someone else to host and should be back in a few days. Mark -- From th...

Unlocking DB2 table/row locks
We are looking for a command/SQL statement that cancels all table/row locks in DB2. The reason for this is: 1) computer A was a sole client of DB2, and crashed 2) computer B automatically (in our scenario) becomes the new and only DB2 client, and executes the same application as A. 3) at this time, DB2 still holds locks from transactions started on A, untill certain timeout expires, AFAIK. We would like to cancel this timeout time. How this timeout can be configured? How can we cancel existing DB2 locks in (or before) stage 2, i.e. without relying on timeout. Your help is great...

OT: Request for a favor 3
Yesterday I wrote regarding the problem that some people were having with= =20 the Firefox browser playing the presentation that I had put together: > I know where the problem is: telling the player where to jump in the MP= 3 file=20 > and then asking it to begin playing from there. It simply doesn't alway= s=20 > work, and I've yet to find a reliable way to get it to do so, that's wh= y=20 > almost all of the complaints were about FF. In my previous Javascript code, I had all sorts of status-checking loops = to see=20 if the RealPlayer MP3 player was re...

Re: OT: Bush speaking with clarity and the "truth" FUNNY #3
Joe, is your information TRUE? NO, Seems not. There is up to 9 swift boat veterans that campaign with Kerry. "Of the 20 officers shown in the photograph, only two openly support Senator Kerry, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth said. Eleven of the officers in the photo oppose Kerry's bid for the presidency, four wish to remain uninvolved and two are deceased, the press release added. " What you refer to is a pic that Kerry uses and only 2 out of the bunch support him. 2 or even 9 is better 1. How many has Bush found that served with him in Alabama? Last count was s...

OT: Note to canadian users. Bell Canada interfering with telecom links.
In case you are not aware, Bell Canada has installed some deep packet inspection technology on non-internet telecommunications links which change user data in order to disrupt applications. While at the ISP level, this would be called throttling, in this case, Bell Canada is modifying payload data in point to point virtual circuits on a service that provides no internet connectivity (GAS, tariff 5410). This is tantamount to Bell Canada looking into bank transactions between bank branches and bank data centres and deciding which transaction should be modified to cause the application to rejec...

OT
Number 1 most requested thing on Dell's "Idea Storm" page: http://www.dellideastorm.com/ bob z. would love to be in a position where he wasn't placing all of his CAD eggs in one OS basket. bob z. p.s. I'm living for givin the devil his due > wasn't placing all of his CAD eggs in one OS basket. Ditto. Maybe someday. "Linux and x64 are two of the technologies most requested by UGS customers." http://www10.mcadcafe.com/nbc/articles/view_weekly.php?articleid=260017 Product name would be: Solinux 3dunix Lincad Modelinux "bob zee" <bobze...

OT - OT - OT
http://www.405themovie.com/Home.asp -- Cliff "Cliff" <Clhuprich@aol.com> wrote in message news:7jht919fodmtt9o6mdo11ac8rqlt6jf2ad@4ax.com... > http://www.405themovie.com/Home.asp > > -- > Cliff Interesting but not very realistic at all. Lane (Lane, check for pulse. Are you alive?) Good effects. I liked Grandma best, I think I've seen her driving in front of me a few times. "Lane" <lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com> wrote in message news:uYSdnRj7gaIQ6gLfRVn-qA@comcast.com... > > "Cliff" <Clhuprich@aol.co...

Re: OT: Christmas Day on Mars #5
The Beagle is Stranded. -----Original Message----- From: Larry Barnes [mailto:LABarnes@thecreek.com] Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 9:56 AM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] OT: Christmas Day on Mars The Beagle has landed, by all indications no fire hydrants have been found yet! -----Original Message----- From: Denys Beauchemin [mailto:denysnospamwanted@houston.rr.com] Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 10:26 AM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] OT: Christmas Day on Mars No Mars signal from the Beagle probe. (Yet.) http://news.bbc....

Whitelists (OT maybe) #2
Hi, This might be a little OT, but someone here might know. I run a Sendmail 12.6 server on Red Hat for an ISP. Does anyone know of software that might be out there that would let me set up a customer configurable white list? What I am kind of envisioning is to have a web page where a customer could log in and setup the email addresses of people he wanted to be able to receive mail from. This would have to be configurable on a per-customer basis because many customers probably would not want to participate in the white list. Thanks, Lisa Casey ...

PDF::Create
Hi all, I've been asked to modify a bunch of Perl scripts that use PDF::Create to generate PDF documents. Currently all the text is in black and I need to be able to change the colour of some of it. Is this possible using PDF::Create? I can't see anything in the docs. Alternatively what would people recommend using? -- Graham Drabble http://www.drabble.me.uk/ On Jun 4, 5:30=A0pm, Graham Drabble <usene...@drabble.me.uk> wrote: > Hi all, > > I've been asked to modify a bunch of Perl scripts that use PDF::Create > to generate PDF documents. Currently all the ...

OT-Digital8 camcorders with passthrough?
Just wondering if some of the DV enthusiasts here might know if there is a website listing all the Sony (or other) models that have analogue to digital passthrough. So far I think these ones do: DCR-TRV120 DCR-TRV130 DCR-TRV230 DCR-TRV240 DCR-TRV250 DCR-TRV260 DCR-TRV280 DCR-TRV310 DCR-TRV340 DCR-TRV350 DCR-TRV460 DCR-TRV480 DCR-TRV530 DCR-TRV720 DCR-TRV730 DCR-TRV740 DCR-TRV830 That means you can play an analogue Hi8 (maybe 8mm too?) tape in the camcorder and output it via firewire to your computer. Its a great way of archiving all your old 8mm/Hi8 tapes. You don't even need a work...

Need to Convert Text to Date for Select Query
Hi, I am trying extract data from a Notes database via a Select query sent from VBA. This following query currently works fine... SELECT( ((Form = "Error Report") | (Form = "ErrorReport") | (Form = "Comment"))&(Status != "Deleted") & !@IsAvailable($Conflict) & (@Contains(AffParties;"ISIS") | @contains(Area;"ICTC") | @Contains(AffParties;"Milo") | @Contains(AffParties;"Betta"))) However, The users now need to narrow it down to a date range for trend reports. Unfortunately (and I cannot change ...

Check Box Problem with Make Table Query
I'm probably doing something stupid, but I have a make table query. One of the tables I reference has some check box fields in it. Their Data Type is Yes/No, their field property format is Yes/No, they have no default value, and their Display Control is Check Box. When I run my make table query, the new fields have a Yes/No Data Type, but the field property format comes up blank, and the Display Control comes up as Text Box. How come all of the properties aren't coming over with the make table query? I tried setting them manually, but when I run it again, and the table gets delete...

write to a text file
hello all this is a really simple question.. but believe me or not i cudnt find a solution to this. whenever i m running the vi, it does run without any problem but when i open the text file where it is suppose to write the data.. the textfile is unreadable. there r some symbols and no numbers. i m attaching the vi. can someone plz tell me where is the problem? regards. writetext.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/202881/1/writetext.vi Here it is.. I added carriage returns to make the numbers more readable. There is a better way to do this if you do not have to write to the file ...

OT:AGW
Well the global warming debate is over, as per godwin's law... http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/03/31/gore.environment.ap/index.htm l=20=20 * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * You deniers will probably like number 7 on this list of geek solutions to global warming: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/03/31/gore.environment.ap/index.html Bruce ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brice Yokem" <byokem@YAHOO.COM> To: <HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU&g...

Setting text tabs in Photoshop
I can't figure this one out. Is there a way to set the tab spacing when typing into a text box in PS CS? Mike. ...

Problem with SE-5.0 Database after altering Table
Hello, we using Informix SE 5.0 with Informix 4GL 4.20 on Tru64 4.0F to 5.1B - Compaq Alpha-Workstations. Now we have altered a table in all databases with appr. 123000 rows (on 110 SE-databases on 5 Unix-Boxes). We have added a new character-field with 2 chars and now we get several errors from the databaseserver, if we would access this table for reading or updating rows in this table. In most cases, we become following Error : SQL statement error number -271. Could not insert new row into the table. SYSTEM error number -121. ISAM error: cannot write log record followe...

carriage returns or tabulations in TEXT datatype column
I would like to store several lines of text in a Sybase text column. In order to make the data more readable,i would like to insert several carriage returns or tabulations in the data. does anyone know the syntax to be used on the insert or writetext statement ? Thanks. Hello, Does just using a regular insert statement work for you? 1> insert into t4 values (123, "I am 2> going 3> on vacation today") 4> go (1 row affected) 1> select * from t4 2> go c1 c2 ----------- 123 I am going on vacation today ...

Re: OT: Anyone listening to space shuttle? #2
How long does it take the shuttle to reach its destination once it lifts = off? Stefan >>> Gehan Gehale <gehale@gmail.com> 7/26/2005 1:57 PM >>> http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html?skipIntro=3D1=20 Live cam's of Houston control center with real time feed of audio between shuttle and ground... --=20 Gehan Gehale gehale@gmail.com=20 * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ************************* The information in this ema...

OT: Babylon 5 (way OT)
I have just started a high-def blu-ray (or higher-def DVD) petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/B5HiDef/petition.html We may not see a major effort to recreate space scenes as is happening with Star Trek, but we may see "480p on DVD with more discs" or "1080i on Blu-Ray" if Warner Bros can be encouraged to do another digital transfer. Please consider signing the petition if you agree. Neil Rieck Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/babylon5-hi-def-petition.html Neil Rieck wrote: > I have just started a high...

Need three-table report
Hi, I have a Clients table, a Client Addresses table, and a Client Phones table. For each client there can be one or more addresses, and one or more phones entries. I need to create a report that shows one client per page as "form-oriented" data, the addresses as a table frame, and the phone numbers as a second table frame. I don't see how I can do this with Paradox 9. Is it possible, and if so could someone point me to an example? TIA, Karl Perry Karl, You just link the tables together in a data model, just like you might on a form, show the master...