[OT] Text Editor that Does Tables?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
on to separate columns.

A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.

Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
then it is a huge job.

Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
that supports ASCII tables directly?

Thanks.
--
David T. Ashley              (dta@e3ft.com)
http://www.e3ft.com          (Consulting Home Page)

0
Reply dta (455) 6/27/2008 4:40:55 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jun 27, 12:40 pm, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:

> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

I would be there's a way to do it with emacs, though off the top of my
head I only know how to delete a vertical column, not insert one.

However emacs is not for everyone... it's as much a religion as a
tool.
0
Reply cs_posting (543) 6/27/2008 5:02:52 PM

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40:55 -0400, "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com>
wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.

Why not use Perl to do this? I used to use awk, back in ancient times,
but Perl is very well suited to this kind of text manipulation. Very
C-ish syntax so the learning curve wouldn't be too high.

The canonical free Windows distro is from
<http://www.activestate.com/Products/activeperl/index.mhtml>
Note that they do have commercial "pro" versions as well.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
0

David T. Ashley wrote:
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
(string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
editor has similar functions.

  Stefan

0
Reply stefan.news (242) 6/27/2008 5:23:58 PM

"Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
> David T. Ashley wrote:
>> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the
>> table
>> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but
>> even
>> then it is a huge job.
>>
>> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware
>> of)
>> that supports ASCII tables directly?
>
> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
> editor has similar functions.

Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
one for most editing and one for tables.

Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely, only
on my Linux box)?

I'll also contact SlickEdit to see what they have to say about editing
tables.

0
Reply dta (455) 6/27/2008 5:38:16 PM

"David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
>> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
>> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
>> editor has similar functions.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
> one for most editing and one for tables.
>
> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
> only on my Linux box)?

I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
to Google, whose first hit produces:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search

See section 2.

-Mike

0
Reply mkwahler (3821) 6/27/2008 6:16:54 PM

"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message
> "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>>> Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
>>> to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
>>> (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
>>> editor has similar functions.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors
>> ... one for most editing and one for tables.
>>
>> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
>> only on my Linux box)?
>
> I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
> to Google, whose first hit produces:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search

Make that:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

The first URL I posted was of course the google search command.

-Mike

0
Reply mkwahler (3821) 6/27/2008 6:18:18 PM

"David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> writes:

> "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
> > Emacs can do that using the rectangle commands. C-x r k (kill-rectangle)
> > to remove a rectangular block (i.e. make a column narrower), C-x r t
> > (string-rectangle) to make a new column or to make one wider. Maybe your
> > editor has similar functions.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors ...
> one for most editing and one for tables.

If you're going for emacs, you might want to consider org-mode, which
has a nice table editing mode that can be used as a minor mode; see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables.html#Tables.

tg
0
Reply Thomas.Gellekum (3) 6/27/2008 6:33:06 PM

David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> >wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.

Doing this sort of thing is a snap using UltraEdit.

http://www.ultraedit.com/

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

0
Reply Guy 6/27/2008 7:43:47 PM

> "Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message
>> "David T. Ashley" <dta@e3ft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanks, I'll look into that.  It is OK with me to use two text editors
>>> ... one for most editing and one for tables.
>>>
>>> Where would I get a version of emacs for Windows (I use it, but barely,
>>> only on my Linux box)?
>>
>> I copy/pasted "emacs for Windows" from your message, and fed it
>> to Google, whose first hit produces:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emacs+for+Windows&btnG=Google+Search
>
> Make that:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
>
> The first URL I posted was of course the google search command.
>
> -Mike

Thanks.  I've heard about web search engines, but never tried one.  Looks
like they might be useful.

Hey, does Google have stock?  Maybe I can get in on the ground floor before
any other investors?

0
Reply dta (455) 6/27/2008 7:46:57 PM

David T. Ashley wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Notepad++ (Free, Sourceforge) has a couple of features useful here :

a) Shift-Alt-Clk selects any rectangular column of text,
corners set by EditCursor, and current mouse cursor.
You can thus add, or delete whole columns.
^C, ^V of this column, works as expected - still column-tagged.

b) A new mode Column Editor, allows a String to be duplicated from
the Edit Cursor to the EOF, and extends any lines it needs to.
( so you could enter '    |    ' for example to get
your column lines.
The EOF is a quirk, which means you would pull your column block
out to a separate file, and paste back later.

-jg

0
Reply no.spam2900 (819) 6/27/2008 7:57:47 PM

<dta@e3ft.com> wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.
>
>Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
>that supports ASCII tables directly?

I have an ancient version of slickedit that I use and am quite
happy with.  I never use macros so you can probably do something
much more clever than what I would do.  However I would probably
do something like this:  Capture an entire column of vertical
bars (right mouse key select).  Copy it to an empty scratch
buffer.  Select the a rectangular block that includes the space
you want and the vertical bars.  Clip it and replace the original
column of vertical bars.  It's only two select/copy/paste steps.
I daresay you could make a macro out of it.

Richard Harter, cri@tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
Save the Earth now!!
It's the only planet with chocolate.
0
Reply cri (1432) 6/27/2008 8:13:53 PM

wrote:

>I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
>on to separate columns.
>
>A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
>they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
>Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
>(sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
>then it is a huge job.
>
>Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
>that supports ASCII tables directly?

You can try kedit. Or THE (The Hessling Editor), which is a clone of
Xedit with enhancements. Uses REXX as it's macro language and can
do block editing.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

0
Reply nobody62 (615) 6/27/2008 8:17:56 PM

"David T. Ashley" wrote:

> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical
> bars and so on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O
> pins and how they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5
> columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of
> the table (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro
> repeatedly, but even then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm
> unaware of) that supports ASCII tables directly?

Look around for VEDIT PLUS.  You can set every tabstop as needed,
and separate fields with tabs.

            Try the download section.

0
Reply cbfalconer (19194) 6/27/2008 8:23:09 PM

On 27 Jun., 18:40, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> David T. Ashley              (d...@e3ft.com)http://www.e3ft.com         (Consulting Home Page)http://www.dtashley.com     (Personal Home Page)http://gpl.e3ft.com         (GPL Publications and Projects)

Ultraedit has a great collum mode (alt-c to toggle between collum and
normal mode)
it can do what I think you want.

it hard to explain how it works but,
try to mark a collum of text, and then cut and paste or type
something, you will see how it works

-Lasse

0
Reply langwadt1 (194) 6/27/2008 9:04:31 PM

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40:55 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote:

> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

You can do this easily with JEdit. It has a column mode that you can put
the editor in, but you can also just hold down the ctrl key and click and
drag your mouse to select your column. Then what you type in is applied
to all the lines in the column. So you could do this to create each of your
column's vertical lines - select an area and type the character you're
using for column once, and it will appear on every line in your column.
And of course pressing space will widen you column, delete will narrow it.

On the download page it does say "Even if you're "just a user", you  should
still try the development version". Nah - don't. Go for the stable one.

I use it as my main development editor on both windows and linux. It has
lots of plugins that you can download for it, although the only one I
really use I guess is the diff plugin, which is a pretty good one - *some*
of the other ones are of dubious quality.

Take a look at the screenshots on the website:

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshots

I can't believe no one else suggested it :-)

Regards,

Paul.
0
Reply pt1 (2) 6/28/2008 5:57:28 AM

David T. Ashley wrote:

> Thanks.  I've heard about web search engines, but never tried one.  Looks
> like they might be useful.

Are you kidding?

> Hey, does Google have stock?  Maybe I can get in on the ground floor before
> any other investors?

Try Google to search for it.

For your table question: I'm using UltraEdit, which has a column mode, but
it doesn't sound like a good idea to code 5x200 cell size tables in C
comments. I would use Excel (or OpenOffice on Linux) for it. Then save it
as CSV. Maybe your implementation for the logic function can just read this
CSV and use it at runtime. Or you can write a source code generator, if it
is time critical. You can even write a generator for your comments and a
program, which uses the CSV as test input and calls your function to verify
it against the table.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Reply fb (1533) 6/28/2008 7:22:41 AM

In comp.arch.embedded David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

And, since nobody yet mentioned it, and because the word 'emacs' has
fallen, I'm suggesting the vim editor for All Your Editing Needs.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

On 2008-06-27, David T. Ashley <dta@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.

Bit of a golden oldie this one (written for DOS and OS/2) but don't
let that put you off - it's tiny, _uncomfortably_ fast and solves
your problem in a very natural way.  The feature set is not
particularly extensive but it always strikes me as being very well
chosen:

http://tinyurl.com/63llgp

Unlike most other editors, this one's block indent functions work
at the current cursor position rather than the home position.
Adjusting your table columns is as simple as selecting the lines
in question, moving to the right position and hitting shift F7/F8
as appropriate.

I see from your headers that you are running Windows - if your
version supports it (ie NT or 2000) I recommend running the OS/2
version which will give you long filename support.  However, it
isn't really such big deal if you can't - run the DOS version and
use drag and drop which will sort out DOS-compatible filenames
transparently.  Both versions are included in the same zip.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:10:30 +0000, Ico wrote:

> And, since nobody yet mentioned it, and because the word 'emacs' has
> fallen, I'm suggesting the vim editor for All Your Editing Needs.

I don't use emacs but do on occasion use vi, although after about an hour
of using it I have to ask someone to untangle my fingers ;-)

Regards,

Paul.
0
Reply pt1 (2) 6/29/2008 7:11:08 AM

David T. Ashley escribi�:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments.  I use vertical bars and so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how
> they are assigned.  2-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the table
> (sometimes hundreds of lines).  I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

Multiedit. I bought version 8.0 and have been using it since 1998.
0
Reply igtorque.remove (134) 6/30/2008 1:32:53 PM

On Jun 27, 5:40=A0pm, "David T. Ashley" <d...@e3ft.com> wrote:
> I enter a lot of tables as C-language comments. =A0I use vertical bars and=
 so
> on to separate columns.
>
> A typical table might be a Boolean function, or a list of I/O pins and how=

> they are assigned. =A02-100 rows is typical, and 2-5 columns is typical.
>
> Widening columns is a huge headache, as I have to do every row of the tabl=
> (sometimes hundreds of lines). =A0I use a SlickEdit macro repeatedly, but =
even
> then it is a huge job.
>
> Is there a text editor out there (or a feature of SlickEdit I'm unaware of=
)
> that supports ASCII tables directly?

I like ConTEXT. It does column cut-and-paste

--
Nick Keighley
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OT: Text editors (was Re: Search and replace text in XML file?)
On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I highly recommend the use of notepad++. If anyone knows of a better text > editor for Windows please let me know :) My current preference is SciTE, available on Linux and Windows both. It's configured using Lua, has lexers (and thus syntax highlighters and auto-indenters) for a huge list of languages (including Python, or I wouldn't mention it), and isn't RAM-hungry. It's not bug-free (but what isn't), and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports UTF-8), but I&...

OT: Text editor for Windows
Hi. I'm looking for a text editor for Windows that can show the current line/column number of the cursor. Neither Notepad nor Wordpad do that, and the command prompt's edit program is too slow for big files (the files I'm opening are at least several megabytes long). At the moment I'm using MS Word to open the ASCII files and multiply the number of pages by 77 lines to get the number of lines in the ASCII file...very inconvenient. I like the "Kate" editor in Linux. Anything similar for Windows? Thanks. Random Programmer wrote: > .... > I like the "Kat...

OT??-Text Editor Question
Is anyone familar with the text editor Wittypad v0.1 by Witmouse? Zo On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:10:22 -0500, Zo wrote: > Is anyone familar with the text editor Wittypad v0.1 by Witmouse? > > Zo comp.editors is the place for that question, and maybe not even there. Good luck. -- My Home Page: http://www.therandymon.com ...

OT??-Wittypad Text Editor
Is anyone using this text editor? If so, do you remember the code to unlock the zip file it comes in? The author can no longer be contacted and I lost the code to unlock it. The program itself is freeware, but in order to keep track of users of the software, one had to send an email to the author to obtain a code, unfortunately, the site is now gone. I hope some one can help me out. TIA. LS Zo <zo@homenet.com> wrote: > Is anyone using this text editor? If so, do you remember the code to > unlock the zip file it comes in? The author can no longer be contacted ...

Re: OT: text editor: vim
David, Your back... we missed your statistics knowledge... In any event I personally dislike Vi as an editor simply because I like my keyboard to act like I have always come to know and expected it too. Anytime the keys dont do what I think they should like when I hit the letter 'i' it really means 'i' I start to cring and the rage wells up with in. But hey to each there own. :-) nice to see ya back. Toby Dunn From: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> Reply-To: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: OT: text ...

SEMI-OT : javascript rich text editor
I'm looking for a javascript-based rich text/wysiwyg html editor that can be easily integrated in a php cms. I don't require any advanced features (tables, images etc) , just basic text formatting. Of course, it should be preferrably free. Does anyone have a suggestion? ..soma "somaboy mx" <none@nosuch.no> wrote in message news:411f32dc$0$308$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > I'm looking for a javascript-based rich text/wysiwyg html editor that can be > easily integrated in a php cms. I don't require any advanced features > (tables, images etc) , just...

How to make text fit exactly in a table cell.. different results with different editors
Hi all, to avoid a nervous breakdown I finally decided to seek help :D I have a table defined with plain color background and in some cells I show pictures to frame my site. The problem I have occurs for one special cell. The background of this cell is as you can see an image. A text should be displayed on this image. I don't want the text to be bigger than the picture. When I save the below code in editor 1 (Coffeecup) and open it in editor 2 (OpenOffice) the code gets changed and the site looks all weird because the font-size changes too. Is there a 'correct' w...

standalone operation of ISE text editor or MTI text editor
I can not find a way to lauch the ISE text editor or MTI HDL editor in the standalone mode. Does anyone how to do it. I want to view the .v and .vhd file using syntax highlight, but not necessary want to launch the Project Navigator or MTI simulator everytime I double click on one of .v/.vhd file. Thanks Charles ...

copying text from table or text widgets
Hello everybody, Can anyone help me on how to copy text from table and text widgets for instance using ctrl+c, to paste the data into notepad or any editor. Thank you, Prashanth ...

Farsi text in drawing and text editor
Does anybody know how we can display Farsi text in a drawing object and in an edit box? Thanx. I think the correct question would be: "Does anybody know how we can display Persian text in a drawing object and in an edit box? " You wouldn't ask: "Does anybody know how we can display Espanyola text in a drawing object and in an edit box? " or "Does anybody know how we can display Deutsche text in a drawing object and in an edit box? " or "Does anybody know how we can display Yupik text in a drawing object and in an edit ...

OT: HTML maximum number of tables with tables.
Hi, I have a function that creates a table, and inside the table the same function could be called a number of times, (depending on the data). Because it is a recursive function it will again create another table. So in fact there will be 3/4 tables within tables, (a table within a table within a table within a table). But technically speaking there could be 10, 20 or even more tables all within table, (because the function is recursive). In HTML Is there a limit in how many tables can be within table? (my function does prevent infinite recursion). Sims On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:05:45 +010...

Farsi text in drawing and text editor #2
Does anybody know how we can display Farsi text in a drawing object and in an edit box? Thanx. ...

Farsi text in drawing and text editor #3
Does anybody know how we can display Farsi text in a drawing object and in an edit box? Thanx. "ron" <rboer@ortec.nl> wrote in message news:1116947174.104736.98350@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Ortec in Gouda? I've been turned down for a job there once. > Does anybody know how we can display Farsi text in a drawing object > and in an edit box? What exactly do you mean by "drawing object"? Text on a TCanvas? In a standard TEdit, you'd have to convince Windows that you have the right codepage active. I wouldn't know which cod...

How to create some text widgets like text editor in VC++?
If create text editor use notebook widget, each text in the pages of the notebook can not be resized, and there is only one text visual each time. Now I want to create text editor like VC++' text, texts can be resized, and they can be dragged at will, and one or more can be visual. Could you tell me how can I do that? Thanks! "sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com" wrote: > > If create text editor use notebook widget, each text in the pages of > the notebook can not be resized, and there is only one text visual each > time. Now I want to create text editor like VC++' text, te...

JavaScript Editors ( Give me a text editor and a good book )
I have still yet to see a JavaScript Editor that comes close to reading a good JS book, learing it and using it with a text editor. Anyway, here my recipe for build successfull DHTML Applications: If you want to support only M$ IE stop here and do the following: 1) Install blindfold 2) Repeat the phrase - I love my cage :p Buy the Book: Buy O'Reilly's JavaScript The Definitive Guide ~ The best damn JS guide & reference period, end of story, finito Get a good Text Editor with Syntax Highlighting support ~ Real programmers don't use WYSIWYG tools ~ You...

I need a text editor written with text draw calls
I am using wxPython (wxWindows) and need a simple non-styled text control with an arbitrary image background. Since wx does not support transparent colored backgrounds on controls, I'm being forced to use a simple pane with a bitmap loaded and write the text directly over the bitmap with text drawing calls. Does anyone know of any existing python code that implements the logic of a text control with direct calls to painting text on any canvas? I am not looking forward to writing this from scratch in this day and age. I toyed around for a while with the idea of implementing an off-scree...

Populating a text box with text string of table contants
Hello Can anyone help me with the following ? I have a table like this.... User_ID User_name User_email 1 Steve stelil@test.com 2 Bob bob@test.com 3 Jim jim@test.com And I would like to have a form with a text box on that show the following results... stelil@test.com <Steve> ; bob@test.com <Bob> ; jim@test.com <Jim> So that the contents of the text box can be cu and pasted into the To: field on an email.So far I have create a form based o...

Text Editor
I am trying to find a text viewer that will support somehow equations, even better if images as well. I tried HP Doc (it was in spanish), Navigator (I expected this one to support images for some reason). I wouldn't have a problem using the text editor that comes with the 49g+, when I save a txt file on it with an equation inside of it, when I try to open it in word, or notepad, it isn't in a format where I could really edit it and put it back and have it appear with the equations... My goal is to be able to edit the equations in the text file on my computer, either through notepad ...

Seeking text editor to provide text hiding/gathering.. and on reopening...
Is this possible? I'm after a text editor for asp programming but one which i can hide sections of code i.e. procedure details, or just any long section. I know SciTE and Visual Studio .NET do this but only temporarily. Once i've closed the file and reopened the hide information is lost. I appreciate that no coder would want to have any kind of insertion into their own code but i was hoping there would be some method of storing this - perhaps in a project file of some kind. Regards to the group, Andy Andy B <coastalrocket@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Is this possible? I'm afte...

Text Editor
Help, I am unable to open the Text icon in either PSP 6 or 7!! ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

text editor
hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Dan wrote: > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code? http://www.openedpc.com -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. There are always these two: www.vim.org www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ I prefer vim more because I'm more familiar with it, but both editors work well. To make this more ruby related this is somewhat interesting: http://ruvi.rubyforge.org/. If you are on Mac OSX, try subethaedit. Mark Tyler wrote: > Dan wrote:...

Text Editor
I am trying to compile a list of popular text editors. Please send me the name of the editor you use. (other than the SAS enhanced editor). I've been a KEDIT & EMACS user for some time now and want to try out a couple others. Thanks. On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:16:32 -0400, Tldjr Yahoo <tldjr1877@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >I am trying to compile a list of popular text editors. > >Please send me the name of the editor you use. (other than the SAS enhanced >editor). > >I've been a KEDIT & EMACS user for some time now and want to try out a >couple others. > &g...

Text Editor?
Hi all, Not exactly a SAS question so I apologize if its not approppriate. I am dealing with large number of fixed length text (flat) files. Prior to bringing them into SAS i need to manually scan for errors and in some cases do blanket modifications/changes/editing, etc. I am looking for a text editor (preferably shareware or free) that would quickly allow me to conver text into fixed columns as column manipulation is required and quickly revert back to the original text file format after modifications. Any help will be greatly appreciated. SU --------------------------------- Do you ...

text table
I need to make a table, but one that uses text with in, not numbers. How do I go about this? Thanks One simple way is to go to the menu; Insert -> Table/Matrix -> New Choose how many rows and columns you want (yoyu can add more later)and click "OK". A blank table will be inserted in your notebook which you can fill with text or anything else. ...