DJB hash function

When I searched for a good hash function for strings, I came across DJB
hash function and found it serving my purpose. I wanted to use that,
but I was unaware of the licensing/copyright issues. I sent a mail to
DJB reg. this, but didn't get any reply.
The info. i got is that DJB posted the hash function first to
Comp.lang.c. Please find below the mail I sent to DJB. Let me know
whether I can use it in my propreitary code.

DJB,

When I was searching for a good hash function for strings, I came to
know about djb2 hash function (written by you a long back) and used by
you in cdb. I tested it and found it has excellent distribution and
speed. I want to use it.

I couldn't find any license info. Please let me know whether I can use
the hash algorithm in proprietary code or any licensing issues
involved.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks,

comp.lang.c 30440 articles. 2 followers. spinoza1111 (3246) is leader. Post Follow

sureshjayaram@gmail.com wrote:
> When I searched for a good hash function for strings, I came across
DJB
> hash function and found it serving my purpose. I wanted to use that,
> but I was unaware of the licensing/copyright issues. I sent a mail to
> DJB reg. this, but didn't get any reply.
> The info. i got is that DJB posted the hash function first to
> Comp.lang.c. Please find below the mail I sent to DJB. Let me know
> whether I can use it in my propreitary code.
<snip>

That's between you and him.  It's offtopic in comp.lang.c.  If you need
to search comp.lang.c archives, use Google Groups.

Mark F. Haigh
mfhaigh@sbcglobal.net

0
mfhaigh (154)