help help help

I need to refresh my C knowledge quickly.  I will be reading code for simple
industrial type controls like motor controllers, valve drivers, etc  This
software is pretty simple, 3000 lines max.  The executable is embedded in
flash on the processor chip.   Actually I haven't seen it yet.  I haven't
looked at C or done any programming in ages.

I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP (NTFS)
computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to speed with.
Simple is better.  I just need to practice and remember and do some simple
experimenting.

Thank you

comp.lang.c 30657 articles. 3 followers. spinoza1111 (3246) is leader. Post Follow

Emerald Saint said:

<snip>

> I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP
> (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to
> speed with.
> Simple is better.  I just need to practice and remember and do some
> simple experimenting.
>
> Thank you

In no particular order:

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Download
http://www.mingw.org
http://www.digitalmars.com
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Of these, Digital Mars is probably the easiest to set up - just copy the
files to somewhere sensible, add "somewhere sensible" to your path, and
you're up and running.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
rjh (10790)
4/6/2008 12:15:40 PM
On  6 Apr 2008 at 12:15, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Emerald Saint said:
>
><snip>
>
>> I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP
>> (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to
>> speed with.
>> Simple is better.  I just need to practice and remember and do some
>> simple experimenting.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> In no particular order:
>
> http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20841,00.html
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
> http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Download
> http://www.mingw.org
> http://www.digitalmars.com
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Missing from the list (oddly enough...) is
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
Its author is a frequent poster here, but is obviously too modest to
plug his own compiler. As I understand it, it's a free compiler with a
small installation footprint, which implements C99 plus useful optional
extensions and has a Windowsy IDE.

0
nospam59 (11088)
4/6/2008 7:39:13 PM
In article <slrnfvi9n1.rk0.nospam@nospam.invalid>,
Antoninus Twink  <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20841,00.html
>> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
>> http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Download
>> http://www.mingw.org
>> http://www.digitalmars.com
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
>
>Missing from the list (oddly enough...) is
>http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
>Its author is a frequent poster here, but is obviously too modest to
>plug his own compiler. As I understand it, it's a free compiler with a
>small installation footprint, which implements C99 plus useful optional
>extensions and has a Windowsy IDE.

I'm sure it was just an oversight and it will never happen again.
A correction should be forthcoming from Mr. Heathfield any minute now.

0
gazelle2 (1307)
4/6/2008 7:51:34 PM
OK.  I'm on my way.  Thanks everybody for the help.