TopSpeed databases loss data while used / TopSpeed databases renew itself

Hi @ all!

I'm one of several testers of an clarionbased program with topspeed
databases and work in a network with both NOVELL6 and Windows2000 /
2003 Servers. My client is a notebook with Windows2000 SP4 and several
MS hotfixes and patches and NOVELL-Client 4.90. Installed network
protocol is only TCP/IP.

Since some time I have the problem that every time I start the program
with that topspeed databases on the network togehter with other users
after a not regular time the databases got renewed. For example I got
an error message that the file at programpath "xy" (read out of an
program related "ini"-file!) could not be found after some time I have
opened a database browser whatever it's an ODBC-Browser using SQL or a
programmed browse of the program itself (Errornumber "37" if someone
knows the clarion error messages) and the program crashes.
After a restart of the program, the files / databases which I last
used (and some related) are completely empty.
A look in the Windows Explorer on details tells me that the file had
it's origin empty size and the date/timestamp is the new one of the
restart.

This happened NOT when I use the program ALONE on my notebook, only on
network and only at the same time with other users!
On the other hand, all other users can work/test the program without
any problems on network until I log in.

Does anyone know about this behavior or its cause? Have had anyone
this kind of problem before?
I scanned my nb several times for viruses with the newest patterns -
no result, all clean!
It's a big problem for me, 'cause I have to test this program before
it gets sold to several customers. The developer also doesn't know
this kind of behaviour or its cause.

Thanx a lot for your help!

Sincerely,
Andreas
0
Andi_36 (2)

Hi

I don't know if this is applicable, but if you loose your connection to the
server (and it is set to work offline), you may "think" you are connected,
and still working, when in actual fact you are disconnected

Regards

Ben
"Andreas" <Andi_36@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi @ all!
>
> I'm one of several testers of an clarionbased program with topspeed
> databases and work in a network with both NOVELL6 and Windows2000 /
> 2003 Servers. My client is a notebook with Windows2000 SP4 and several
> MS hotfixes and patches and NOVELL-Client 4.90. Installed network
> protocol is only TCP/IP.
>
> Since some time I have the problem that every time I start the program
> with that topspeed databases on the network togehter with other users
> after a not regular time the databases got renewed. For example I got
> an error message that the file at programpath "xy" (read out of an
> program related "ini"-file!) could not be found after some time I have
> opened a database browser whatever it's an ODBC-Browser using SQL or a
> programmed browse of the program itself (Errornumber "37" if someone
> knows the clarion error messages) and the program crashes.
> After a restart of the program, the files / databases which I last
> used (and some related) are completely empty.
> A look in the Windows Explorer on details tells me that the file had
> it's origin empty size and the date/timestamp is the new one of the
> restart.
>
> This happened NOT when I use the program ALONE on my notebook, only on
> network and only at the same time with other users!
> On the other hand, all other users can work/test the program without
> any problems on network until I log in.
>
> Does anyone know about this behavior or its cause? Have had anyone
> this kind of problem before?
> I scanned my nb several times for viruses with the newest patterns -
> no result, all clean!
> It's a big problem for me, 'cause I have to test this program before
> it gets sold to several customers. The developer also doesn't know
> this kind of behaviour or its cause.
>
> Thanx a lot for your help!
>
> Sincerely,
> Andreas

0
ria3302 (2)
1/23/2004 8:09:15 PM
Andi_36@gmx.de (Andreas) wrote in message news:<f2bab5ad.0401230524.f224478@posting.google.com>...
> Hi @ all!
>
>> This happened NOT when I use the program ALONE on my notebook, only on
> network and only at the same time with other users!
> On the other hand, all other users can work/test the program without
> any problems on network until I log in.

I think the problem could be your Network Card.....
Can you replace it?

Diego
0
dydsoft (24)
1/23/2004 8:41:42 PM
dydsoft@racsa.co.cr (Diego Sanchez) wrote in message news:<485856fe.0401231241.b67a90@posting.google.com>...
> Andi_36@gmx.de (Andreas) wrote in message news:<f2bab5ad.0401230524.f224478@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi @ all!
> >
> >> This happened NOT when I use the program ALONE on my notebook, only on
> > network and only at the same time with other users!
> > On the other hand, all other users can work/test the program without
> > any problems on network until I log in.
> >

> I think the problem could be your Network Card.....
> Can you replace it?
>

> Diego

Hi Diego and Riebens!

Thank you for your hints!
Basicly it could be a network problem ...
I will realize Diego's suggestion:
I have a 3Com(tm) PCMCIA-Network-Card with cable-adapter in one of my
PCMCIA-slots, 'cause from the beginning I had problems with IBM's
built-in network connector.
I've now changed both - the adapter AND the card and will try it again
hope it works! I'll report ... :)

Nevertheless, if anyone had a similar problem - tell me!
I'm thankful for any other suggestions ... :)
0
Andi_36 (2)