Fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy takes her TBrowse away

I'm writing a basic TBrowse that should have taken me ten minutes, and I'm
stumped by problem with the colorblock property.

I have a ColorSpec table something like this:
// std unsel  std sel   special unsel   special unsel
  "W/B+,       W/BG,       R/B+,        R+/BG"

The idea is that when a certain condition is met, the special cell will
show up as bright red on the same color (that's colour for you, Dave)
background as the rest of the cells - blue for unselected, cyan for
selected.  Or to put it another way, normal cells are white on blue
selected, white on cyan unselected; special cells are red on blue
selected, red on cyan unselected.

Easy enough.  Just a minor tweak to the colorblock of the column in
question:

oColumn:colorblock := { |e| iif( SomeCondition, { 3, 4 }, { 1, 2 } }

Copied straight out of the Norton Guide [tm] example, and easy enough that
even I can understand how it works.  The only problem is... it doesn't.

With everything else in the TBrowse standard, it works as advertised.  The
thing is, I want the whole row highlighted, so I use colorrect to
highlight the columns during stabilize.  Again, that by itself works fine.

It's the combination of the two that's blowing up.  My goal is to have the
user arrowing up and down among the rows, with the entire row highlighted,
but colum #1 should be in red with one background color if it's the
selected row, and red on another background color if it's the unselected
row.  If I use the colorblock attribute as shown above, plus the colorrect
statement like this:
oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,2,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:colcount},{2,1})

(note that I am only coloring columns 2-n, since column 1 needs to be
{3,4} rather than {1,2})

.... the result is that the colorblock always uses the unselected color
choice (3 if SomeCondition, 1 if not), no matter what.  I thought I would
be smart and add a second colorrect statement:
oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,1,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:1},{2,1})

But of course all that accomplished was to use the conditional colors
{3,4} on column 1, and the normal colors {1,2} on columns 2-n.

Am I trying to reach the unreachable star here?  Is there no way to
combine a colorrect statement for some columns with a conditional
colorblock for other columns?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

0
see.sig1 (102)
5/24/2005 9:27:17 PM
comp.lang.clipper 3943 articles. 20 followers. Post Follow

IIRC you can't use an enhanced colour as a background; therefore W/B+
and R/B+ won't work, but W+/B and R+/B would (should).

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> I'm writing a basic TBrowse that should have taken me ten minutes, and I'm
> stumped by problem with the colorblock property.
>
> I have a ColorSpec table something like this:
> // std unsel  std sel   special unsel   special unsel
>   "W/B+,       W/BG,       R/B+,        R+/BG"
>
> The idea is that when a certain condition is met, the special cell will
> show up as bright red on the same color (that's colour for you, Dave)
> background as the rest of the cells - blue for unselected, cyan for
> selected.  Or to put it another way, normal cells are white on blue
> selected, white on cyan unselected; special cells are red on blue
> selected, red on cyan unselected.
>
> Easy enough.  Just a minor tweak to the colorblock of the column in
> question:
>
> oColumn:colorblock := { |e| iif( SomeCondition, { 3, 4 }, { 1, 2 } }
>
> Copied straight out of the Norton Guide [tm] example, and easy enough that
> even I can understand how it works.  The only problem is... it doesn't.
>
> With everything else in the TBrowse standard, it works as advertised.  The
> thing is, I want the whole row highlighted, so I use colorrect to
> highlight the columns during stabilize.  Again, that by itself works fine.
>
> It's the combination of the two that's blowing up.  My goal is to have the
> user arrowing up and down among the rows, with the entire row highlighted,
> but colum #1 should be in red with one background color if it's the
> selected row, and red on another background color if it's the unselected
> row.  If I use the colorblock attribute as shown above, plus the colorrect
> statement like this:
> oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,2,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:colcount},{2,1})
>
> (note that I am only coloring columns 2-n, since column 1 needs to be
> {3,4} rather than {1,2})
>
> ... the result is that the colorblock always uses the unselected color
> choice (3 if SomeCondition, 1 if not), no matter what.  I thought I would
> be smart and add a second colorrect statement:
> oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,1,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:1},{2,1})
>
> But of course all that accomplished was to use the conditional colors
> {3,4} on column 1, and the normal colors {1,2} on columns 2-n.
>
> Am I trying to reach the unreachable star here?  Is there no way to
> combine a colorrect statement for some columns with a conditional
> colorblock for other columns?

0
chaz (33)
5/24/2005 9:46:50 PM
hi,

it depend how you build you Tbrowse.

create "empty" oTBrowse
create each colume with oCol:colorBlock than oTBrowse:addcolumn(oCol)
set oTBrowse:autoLite := .F.

use      oTBrowse:hilite()
before oTBrowse:colorrect
and      oTBrowse:dehilite()

greetings by OHR
Jimmy

"Peter B. Steiger" <see.sig@for.email.address> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm writing a basic TBrowse that should have taken me ten minutes, and I'm
> stumped by problem with the colorblock property.
>
> I have a ColorSpec table something like this:
> // std unsel  std sel   special unsel   special unsel
>   "W/B+,       W/BG,       R/B+,        R+/BG"
>
> The idea is that when a certain condition is met, the special cell will
> show up as bright red on the same color (that's colour for you, Dave)
> background as the rest of the cells - blue for unselected, cyan for
> selected.  Or to put it another way, normal cells are white on blue
> selected, white on cyan unselected; special cells are red on blue
> selected, red on cyan unselected.
>
> Easy enough.  Just a minor tweak to the colorblock of the column in
> question:
>
> oColumn:colorblock := { |e| iif( SomeCondition, { 3, 4 }, { 1, 2 } }
>
> Copied straight out of the Norton Guide [tm] example, and easy enough that
> even I can understand how it works.  The only problem is... it doesn't.
>
> With everything else in the TBrowse standard, it works as advertised.  The
> thing is, I want the whole row highlighted, so I use colorrect to
> highlight the columns during stabilize.  Again, that by itself works fine.
>
> It's the combination of the two that's blowing up.  My goal is to have the
> user arrowing up and down among the rows, with the entire row highlighted,
> but colum #1 should be in red with one background color if it's the
> selected row, and red on another background color if it's the unselected
> row.  If I use the colorblock attribute as shown above, plus the colorrect
> statement like this:

oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,2,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:colcount},{2,1})

> (note that I am only coloring columns 2-n, since column 1 needs to be
> {3,4} rather than {1,2})
>
> ... the result is that the colorblock always uses the unselected color
> choice (3 if SomeCondition, 1 if not), no matter what.  I thought I would
> be smart and add a second colorrect statement:
> oBrowse:colorrect({oBrowse:rowpos,1,oBrowse:rowpos,oBrowse:1},{2,1})
>
> But of course all that accomplished was to use the conditional colors
> {3,4} on column 1, and the normal colors {1,2} on columns 2-n.
>
> Am I trying to reach the unreachable star here?  Is there no way to
> combine a colorrect statement for some columns with a conditional
> colorblock for other columns?
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
> where you see stars: wypbs_**3 at bornagain.com.

0
AUGE_OHR (177)
5/24/2005 9:55:11 PM
On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:55:11 +0200, AUGE_OHR sez:
> it depend how you build you Tbrowse.
>
> create "empty" oTBrowse
> create each colume with oCol:colorBlock than oTBrowse:addcolumn(oCol) set
> oTBrowse:autoLite := .F.
>
> use      oTBrowse:hilite()
> before oTBrowse:colorrect
> and      oTBrowse:dehilite()

Interesting!  Unfortunately it has the same effect whether I manually
highlight (using the hilite/dehilite methods) or use autolite.

No matter.  I can live with the special cells being the same color when
you are or are not selecting that row... as long as the user's eye is
drawn to the red ones, I'm happy.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
where you see stars: wypbs_**3 at bornagain.com.

0
see.sig1 (102)
5/24/2005 10:09:26 PM
On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:46:50 +1200, Charles Foot sez:
> IIRC you can't use an enhanced colour as a background; therefore W/B+ and
> R/B+ won't work, but W+/B and R+/B would (should).

Sadly, that's not the problem.  See the setblink() function: with
setblink(.f.), you can use the "*" attribute on color pairs to make the
background appear with enhanced colors, rather than blinking.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
where you see stars: wypbs_**3 at bornagain.com.

0
see.sig1 (102)
5/24/2005 10:11:10 PM
hi,

> > create "empty" oTBrowse
> > create each colume with oCol:colorBlock than oTBrowse:addcolumn(oCol)
> > set oTBrowse:autoLite := .F.
> >
> > use      oTBrowse:hilite()
> > before oTBrowse:colorrect
> > and      oTBrowse:dehilite()
>
> Interesting!  Unfortunately it has the same effect whether I manually
> highlight (using the hilite/dehilite methods) or use autolite.
>
> No matter.  I can live with the special cells being the same color when
> you are or are not selecting that row... as long as the user's eye is
> drawn to the red ones, I'm happy.

now i got it.

if you use "build in" oTBrowse:colorrect it will change all cell color
in a rectangular area with your oTBrowse:colorSpec(), but you like
to have oCol:colorBlock in that oTBrowse:hilite bar.

you have to make you own function/class "to paint" something like

oCol:Color - oTB:Color - oCol:Color - oTB:Color - oTB:Color

you have to step throw oCol and "paint" oCol:Color or oTB:Color

can�t find my "old cl*pper" code, this is Xbase++

greetings by OHR
Jimmy

CLASS XbpColumnLocal FROM XbpColumn
EXPORTED:
   INLINE METHOD HiliteRow( nRowPos, lHilite, lFrame, lRepaint )
   LOCAL aColor
   LOCAL RETVAR

   IF ( lHilite )                     // .AND. ( aColor:= Eval(
::colorBlock ) ) # nil
      IF ::colorBlock # NIL
// is there any :colorbock
         aColor:= Eval( ::colorBlock )
         IF aColor = NIL
// is any color
            RETVAR := ::XbpColumn:HiliteRow( nRowPos, lHilite, lFrame,
lRepaint ) // recursive next
         ELSE
            RETVAR := ::dataArea:setCellColor( nRowPos, aColor[ 1 ],
aColor[ 2 ] ) // paint CellColor
         ENDIF
      ELSE
         RETVAR := ::XbpColumn:HiliteRow( nRowPos, lHilite, lFrame,
lRepaint ) // recusive next
      ENDIF
   ELSE
      RETVAR := ::XbpColumn:HiliteRow( nRowPos, lHilite, lFrame, lRepaint )
// recursiv next
   ENDIF
   RETURN RETVAR
ENDCLASS

*
* eof
*

0
AUGE_OHR (177)
5/24/2005 10:47:17 PM
found my old cl+pper code

> > oTBrowse:autoLite := .F.
> > use      oTBrowse:hilite()        <<<<- wrong here
> > before oTBrowse:colorrect
> > and      oTBrowse:dehilite()

must be first :   oTBrowse:colorrect( ....) and than

        *- freeze the cursur on position P2
         oTbrowse:COLPOS     := fix_posi +2
         *- highlight current cell
         oTbrowse:HILITE()

         *- freeze the cursur on position P1
         oTbrowse:COLPOS     := fix_posi
         *- highlight current cell
         oTbrowse:HILITE()

and so on

greetings by OHR
Jimmy

0
AUGE_OHR (177)
5/24/2005 11:07:58 PM
Peter

I think your trying to create a multi-coloured hilite bar, if so then you won't
achieve it with the normal TBrowse class.

There's code available on  the OASIS that can do this for you though
(tbhilite.zip)

HTH
Steve

0
steveqNOSPAM (402)
5/25/2005 4:37:34 AM
/*

TBCOLR.PRG by Hannes Ziegler ( CIS 100142,302 )

********
Content:
  Func ToggleTBColor( oTBrowse, aColor1, aColor2 )
    oTbrowse - a Tbrowse-object
    aColor1  - 2 dim array that holds pointers into oTBrowse:Colorspec
    aColor2  - same as aColor1

************
  The idea to develop func ToggleTBColor() arised from a forum member
  who had the problem to switch colors for a TBrowse between focused
  and unfocused state. Usually this can be achieved by reassigning
  ColorSpec. However, this implies a refreshAll() which really can
  be annoying if TBrowse is displaying a filtered DBF, it gets too slow.

  ToggleTBColor() toggles colors and is intended to be used if a TBrowse
  looses focus. It is one more example to access TBrowse internals
  because it takes advantage of the internal ColorRect information of a
  TBrowse.

  The func changes ColorRect-bytes, redisplays current data in different
  colors and resets TBrowse to the original state.

******
Usage:
  ToggleTBColor( oTBrowse , {{1,2},{3,2}} , {{4,5},{6,5}} )

  aColor1 is an array which holds arrays with 2 elements that contain
  pointers into ColorSpec (each element has exactly the same meaning as
  TBColumn:DefColor). The same meaning has aColor2. Within the func the
  colors are being changed from aColor1 to aColor2. In this example, all
  cells that have colors 1,2 will be changed to colors 4,5 and cells
  with colors 3,2 will show up in color 6,5 .

  Try to define following for TBrowse and its TBColumns:
    oTbrowse :ColorSpec  := "W+/BG,W+/R,W+/G,N/BG,N/R,N/G"

    oTBColumn:ColorBlock := {||if( recno() % 2==0 , {1,2}, {3,2} ) }

  Then issue a
    setkey( K_F6 ,;
     {|| ToggleTBColor( oTBrowse, {{1,2},{3,2}} , {{4,5},{6,5}} ) };
    )

  and go into your browse loop. Then watch what happens.

  (I was surprised myself how fast it is. It does not call a stabilize(),
   unlike a oTBrowse:ColorSpec:=cColorString would do, it just redisplays
   the existing virtual screen in different colors)

***********
Disclaimer:
  This is freeware. The function accesses TBrowse internals which are
  not supposed to be accessed. You use the func on your own risk!

  If you are not familiar with TBrowse internals, you are strongly
  advised to refer to TBINFO.ZIP in lib 2 for detailed information

  If you have comments or questions please post a message

*/

Func ToggleTBColor( oTBrowse, aColor1, aColor2 )
local nVScreenLen:=bin2i(substr(atail(oTbrowse),13))
local cColorRect
:=substr(atail(oTbrowse),85+nVScreenLen+12*oTBrowse:ColCount)
local cOriginal, cBytes1, cBytes2, i, nLen := min(len(aColor1),len(aColor2))

for i:=1 to nLen
  cBytes1   := chr( aColor1[i,1] ) + chr( aColor1[i,2] ) // Match-color
  cBytes2   := chr( aColor2[i,1] ) + chr( aColor2[i,2] ) // Result-color
 cColorRect:= strtran( cColorRect, cBytes1, cBytes2 )
next

// get a true string copy of atail(oTBrowse) using substr()
cOriginal := substr(atail(oTBrowse),1)

oTbrowse[len(oTbrowse)]:=substr(atail(oTbrowse),1,84+nVScreenLen+12*oTBrowse
:ColCount)+cColorRect

oTbrowse : invalidate()
while ! oTbrowse:stabilize() ; end

// reset to original state
oTbrowse[len(oTbrowse)]:=cOriginal

return oTBrowse

*
* eof
*

0
AUGE_OHR (177)

Sudden View
If you were reading here in the last milllennium you may remember a beta test of Sudden View. Well, I'm back with a new improved version which is now unlimited shareware (no timeouts or limited features). I would like to invite those interested in text editor technology to give it a try and let me know what you think. Here's a description from the website : http://www.sudden.net/ Sudden View ....for the art of editing text What is Sudden View? Sudden View is a draft tool for the art of editing text. Sudden View is a simple yet powerful text editor for the Win...

Firm takes iPads over Laptops
http://tinyurl.com/342mnea Oh wait, they aren't a creative/graphics kind of place so I guess the Windiots will have a meltdown over this. Jim wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/342mnea Steve de Mena would tell us it's not a real company. ...

OT: It would be a crime not to share this with you: HOT HOT HOT ! ;) =D FUN FUN =D
My jummy Doutzen Kroes video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW7hVMIE3w HOT HOT FUN FUN Jummy Jummy ! =D Bye, Bye, Skybuck =D Still drooling all over it SSLLLURP =D GEHGEHGEHGHEGHE. ...

Sydney
I'm in Sydney and I have a copy of Simply Scheme I'm not using. If you like it, send me an email. Luke I certainly do, although I do not have a copy. Would you be able to ship it? I don't live in Sydney but I might be able to pay the shipping charge. ...

New Fun Fun Fun Toy...!!!
Google's Sketch Up...!!! It's a 3D Drawing tool that's VERY Primitive, But also Very Easy to Use And also lots of fun... The quirky bit is that the price difference between the Free Version and The Pro Version is about $500...!!! The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae@seanet.com> wrote: > Google's Sketch Up...!!! What exactly does this have to do with the Mac OS? -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Pri...

Upgrade Report [GeekTech: Double Your Fun With a Second Monitor
April 19th, 2005 GeekTech: Double Your Fun With a Second Monitor Sr. Assoc. Ed. Tom Mainelli I love to upgrade PCs. Add a little RAM, put in an extra hard drive, or install a new graphics card and you can breathe new life into an aging system. But if there's anything I've learned over the years, it's not to expect any one new component to dramatically change my computing experience. Okay, so it turns out I was wrong. I recently added a second LCD monitor to my desktop and the impact was immediate and dramatic. I would have to say that this second display has changed the way I ...

Sony takes legal action against homebrew PS3 hackers
Sony takes legal action against homebrew PS3 hackers http://www.i4u.com/article9519.html Sony to take Legal Action against PS3 Firmware Hackers Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:00:00 CDT | by Luigi Lugmayr Last week reports appeared that hackers managed to crack older versions of the Sony PS3 firmware to boot copies of games. Sony says to go after hackers with legal actions. The cracks are not very far yet. Games are not playable and also no homebrew software can be run on the PS3 yet. In article <1181950991.080168.201780@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, Thomas Dolby <linux-sux@ly...

Can 64-bit Matlab take advantage of 32Gb of memory?
I am looking at a new 64-bit Windows machine for work, and wondering how much memory to get. My work involves ensembles of simulated weather forecasts, and forming (very) large covariance matrices, so the larger the matrix Matlab can handle, the better. Will there be a significant difference in the maximum matrix size with 32Gb of memory, as opposed to 16Gb? The price difference is pretty large, so I need to justify getting 32Gb. And will I be able to take advantage of dual quad-core processors (with or without the parallel toolbox)? Bill Campbell Naval Research Laboratory Monterey, CA ...

More fun for the Windows world
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39147909,00.htm "Five variations of the Bagle worm were released over the weekend, and two of them use tricks to bypass mail filters and antivirus scanners" " Bagle versions C, D, E, F and G started propagating over the weekend and although the first three are very similar to the original Bagle -- being spread through email and infecting PCs of users who open the attachment -- Bagle.F and Bagle.G are designed to slip past most enterprise antivirus gateways" So, even the vigilant can perhaps get infected. Ain't love grand? ...

FS: Fun SCHOOL Nursery SCHOOL Age 3-4 PC Based #4
Visit http://www.seals4deals.co.uk Fun School Nursery Game on your PC Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=nursery&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=Seals4-Deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and...

[News] [Rival] Google Takes Away Many Microsoft Office Customers

[News] Microsoft Acknowledges That Linux is Not Going Away
We need to continue to co-exist with open-source: Microsoft ,----[ Quote ] | Have you got any concerns about Vietnam?s adoption of open source | software? Will your market share affected? Is there any possibility | that open-source software will someday dominate the market? | | I believe strongly in the term co-opetition. It is about | co-operation and competition. `---- http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/02/667865/ Cooperation? Really? What about the recent threats? What about SCO's lawsuits? Speaking of which: ,----[ Quote ] | "There you have it. At least a third of SCO'...

Fun with Java
Even something as thoroughly buttoned-up in a proper 'smart' business suit has an occasional sense of humour. private boolean isDupUser(PersistenceException psx) { ConstraintViolationException cvx; Throwable egg; egg = psx.getCause(); if (!(egg instanceof ConstraintViolationException)) return false; cvx = (ConstraintViolationException)egg; log.debug("violated #0", cvx.getConstraintName()); return true; } In article <87pp72h0ix.fsf@doppelsaurus.mobileactivedefense.com>, Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@mobileactivedefense.com>...

Just for fun #2
Try this: p=plot(findgen(10)) help, /Heap obj_destroy, p help, /Heap Yikes! This makes me fear New Graphics. On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Bob <bobnnamtrop@gmail.com> wrote: >Yikes! This makes me fear New Graphics. Exactly! Even closing the window doesn't clean up everything: IDL> .RESET_SESSION IDL> help,/heap Heap Variables: # Pointer: 0 # Object : 0 IDL> p=plot(findgen(10)) IDL> help,/heap Heap Variables: # Pointer: 5031 # Object : 4425 IDL> obj_destroy,p ; Window is still there IDL> help,/heap Heap Variables: # Pointe...

FS: ITs Fun TO Practise MatHS on your PC #3
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?wp_ml=0&query=practise+maths&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=AUCTI0NST0P&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay...

RayLopez99, what 'rocket science' courses did you take?
What school/institution? When? What were the exact course names/numbers? How much did you pay for the courses? What were your grades? ...

[News] GNU/Linux Takes the Lead in Newly-launched Open Source Census
Open Source Census Launches ,----[ Quote ] | The Open Source Census, an effort to pin down hard statistics regarding the | implementation of open-source software around the world, gets underway on | Wednesday. | | The census was first announced in December by founder OpenLogic, a vendor of | tools and services for managing open-source software deployments. It has | provided an automated census tool called OSS Discovery under an open-source | license for the project. `---- http://www.cio.com/article/335463/Open_Source_Census_Launches Ubuntu takes early lead in Open Source Census ...

VirtuAirlines.de - the fun & flight-community / VirtuAirlines.de
Hi there, we are proud to announce that we've got over eighty users since Decembre 2003 yet. We've got a lots of interesting flight discussions. If you like, join us! Our adress: www.VirtuAirlines.de Regards, Dennis Eichardt --- Hallo, wir haben seit Dezember 2003 stark zugelegt. Bei uns sind mittlerweile mehr als 80 User registriert. Wir haben unseren Flightthemenbereich weiter massiv ausgebaut. Jedoch kommen nat�rlich auch die Themen des t�glichen Lebens wie immer nicht zu kurz. Ob f�r Entwickler, Neueinsteiger oder echte Piloten - bei uns ist f�r jeden was ...

FAQ 4.15 How can I take a string and turn it into epoch seconds? #18
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.15: How can I take a string and turn it into epoch seconds? If it's a regular enough string that it always has the same format, you can split it up and pass the parts to "timelocal" in the standard ...

To take screen shot
I want to take screen shot periodically. How can I do that? Is there any command? lak <lakindia89@gmail.com> writes: > I want to take screen shot periodically. > How can I do that? > Is there any command? If you're running X, you can use xwd. -- M�ns Rullg�rd mans@mansr.com On Apr 19, 7:22 pm, M=E5ns Rullg=E5rd <m...@mansr.com> wrote: > lak <lakindi...@gmail.com> writes: > > I want to take screen shot periodically. > > How can I do that? > > Is there any command? > > If you're running X, you can use xwd. > > -- > M=E5...

[News] Microsoft Fails BSkyB, so Google Takes Over
BSkyB and Google to become broadband bedfellows ,----[ Quote ] | Sky had problems with its fledgling on-demand film and sport | download service in August. It was forced to shut down the service | for three months after the software provided by Microsoft was | cracked, enabling the digital protection to be stripped. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/061206/sky_google_broadband.html?.v=2 Related: Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code ,----[ Quote ] | Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling | them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television softw...

Suse: user has no problems with Vista, but takes Suse problems for granted
"I have no problems with Vista other than it being Microsoft. It came preinstalled on my laptop and works quite well. I haven't had real note worthy crashes or BSOD's. I guess the preinstalled versions work better than boxed versions (for some not so obvious reason). But I do like SuSE a lot more and still use it as my main OS, though it does tend to have more hickups on my laptop than Vista has. I just take them for granted." http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=45710&hl= It's nice to see an honest Linux user - there aren't many from what I'v...

3 PIX VPN questions
Hope these aren't stupid questions, but here goes, some background first: I have a PIX 515 6.3(5) at head office; remote sites are 1720's or 1750's running a flavor of 12.1 (due to memory shortage, cannot upgrade) connected via site to site VPNs to this PIX. I have 3 questions that I can't seem to sort out. Please help me if you know the answers: 1. Can I use BGP with the 1700s over this VPN to my network of routers that are on the internal network? Are there any caveats in this situation? My Internal routers are connected via Frame/Wireless/dedicated lines to a 3640 on th...

Uffie pokes fun at SCO...
The UserFriendly comic strip offers a twist on the recent release of Half Life source code and SCO: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031021 While restarting Outlook, Boomerang grumbled: > The UserFriendly comic strip offers a twist on the recent release of Half > Life source code and SCO: > > http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031021 Fuck SCO. -- Windows desktops and servers can find a safe haven on a GNU/Linux/FreeBSD network! On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:22:46 -0500, Lin�nut wrote: > While restarting Outlook, Boomerang grumbled: > >> The UserF...

Taking data from a text file to parse html page
Hi, I'm trying to strip the html and other useless junk from a html page.. Id like to create something like an automated text editor, where it takes the keywords from a txt file and removes them from the html page (replace the words in the html page with blank space) I'm new to python and could use a little push in the right direction, any ideas on how to implement this? Thanks! DH, Could you be more specific describing what you have and what you want? You are addressing people, many of whom are good at stripping useless junk once you tell them what 'useless junk' is....