f



Holding locks with Windows 98 & 2003 "Server"

I am creating files using SET DEVICE TO PRINT and SET PRINTER TO filename -
(ok actually I am using SET(24 ) ect as I can understand the code better!)

However on Win98 with 2003 Server the files are occasionally held open
despite me closing them XP WS is fine all the time.

I force a close by SETting to a dummy name

Any ideas ? Is it a client setting in WIndows?


0
spam49 (217)
11/15/2004 11:45:17 AM
comp.lang.clipper 3959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

2 Replies
355 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

Martin,

>I am creating files using SET DEVICE TO PRINT and SET PRINTER TO filename -
>(ok actually I am using SET(24 ) ect as I can understand the code better!)

Although I generally prefer manifest constants (the longer the better
<g>) I agree that in the SET(_SET_PRINTER) case the choice of name for
the constant isn't exactly crystal clear.

>However on Win98 with 2003 Server the files are occasionally held open
>despite me closing them XP WS is fine all the time.
>
>I force a close by SETting to a dummy name
>
>Any ideas ? Is it a client setting in WIndows?

The server keeps the file open for a while no matter what you do from
the Clipper end. The idea is that it will be accessible quicker if you
need to open it again. That is fine with files that the same user
opens again to continue reading or writing but causes problems in a
file sharing environment.

There is a registry setting, called CachedOpenLimit, that you can
change to make the server close the file immediately. The easiest way
to do that is to visit Nick Ramsay's NT Networking page at
<http://www.witzendcs.co.uk/html/nt_networking.html>
and download the reg files for server and workstation. They also take
care of a few additional registry settings that can cause problems for
Clipper applications. Remember to reboot after applying them.

Regards,
Klas

-------
klas dot engwall at engwall dot com

Spammers, please use this address :-) mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
0
klas.engwall (791)
11/15/2004 1:55:34 PM
>>The server keeps the file open for a while no matter what you do from
>>>the Clipper end. The idea is that it will be accessible quicker if you
>>need to open it again. That is fine with files that the same user
>opens again to continue reading or writing but causes problems in a
>>file sharing environment.

>There is a registry setting, called CachedOpenLimit, that you can
>change to make the server close the file immediately. The easiest way
>to do that is to visit Nick Ramsay's NT Networking page at
><http://www.witzendcs.co.uk/html/nt_networking.html>
>and download the reg files for server and workstation. They also take
>care of a few additional registry settings that can cause problems for
>Clipper applications. Remember to reboot after applying them.
>

Thanks I'll have a look!


0
spam49 (217)
11/16/2004 3:25:39 PM
Reply: