LPT1 to USB Printer Won't print

I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.

The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
attaches the printer to lpt1:
	net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes

Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs
through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the
printer.

Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, running
XP Pro, and one at my office, running XP Home; both behave identically.

The printer setup has been tested as spooled-immediate, spooled-wait,
and raw. There is a response from the printer (internal noises), but no
page prints and the print job neither completes nor can it be deleted.

I don't have any other USB printers to try - is this problem with the
printer or with XP?

--

        Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split
        second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.

That's correct.  LPT1 is a real port which the USB is not.  USB is
software-driven.  You'll have to obtain a PCI serial/parallel expansion
card so the computer has a real port to work with.

Regards,

-=Jon

Bill Ding wrote:

> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>
> The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
> attaches the printer to lpt1:
> 	net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes
>
> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
> Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs
> through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the
> printer.
>
> Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, running
> XP Pro, and one at my office, running XP Home; both behave identically.
>
> The printer setup has been tested as spooled-immediate, spooled-wait,
> and raw. There is a response from the printer (internal noises), but no
> page prints and the print job neither completes nor can it be deleted.
>
> I don't have any other USB printers to try - is this problem with the
> printer or with XP?

0
wd0bka (1)
4/25/2006 3:37:20 PM
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:37:20 -0500, J. Laub wrote:

> That's correct.  LPT1 is a real port which the USB is not.  USB is
> software-driven.  You'll have to obtain a PCI serial/parallel expansion
> card so the computer has a real port to work with.
>
> Regards,
>
> -=Jon

Boy, I dunno, Jon. I was so flabbergasted by your reply that I wasn't
really sure whether to laugh at it or just shake my head...

I think I'll just go with the head shake.

I appreciate the idea of a reply... but the reply itself is nonsense on so
many levels it isn't even worth addressing.

--

        Sometimes when you look in his eyes you get the feeling
        that someone else is driving.
Bill Ding napisał(a):
> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>

> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
The reason is HP1020, not USB port.
1020 is pure GDI Windows printer, it has no PCL emulation.
Try HP 1022 - it's OK.
0
bo4043 (2)
4/25/2006 4:51:56 PM
"Bill Ding" <carpenter@construction.net> wrote in message

> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>
> The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
> attaches the printer to lpt1:
> net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes
>
> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
> Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs
> through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the
> printer.
>
> Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, running
> XP Pro, and one at my office, running XP Home; both behave identically.
>
> The printer setup has been tested as spooled-immediate, spooled-wait,
> and raw. There is a response from the printer (internal noises), but no
> page prints and the print job neither completes nor can it be deleted.
>
> I don't have any other USB printers to try - is this problem with the
> printer or with XP?

It's incompatibility between the printer and your data.
Look for 'control characters' in your text stream.  Certain characters, such
as CHR(3), can prevent printing, or maybe, in your case, cause the printer
to 'hang'.
HTH
--
Norman Perelson
www.shopkeeper.co.za

0
norman1 (227)
4/25/2006 4:57:44 PM
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:57:44 +0200, Norman Perelson wrote:

> "Bill Ding" <carpenter@construction.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>>
>> The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
>> attaches the printer to lpt1:
>> net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes
>>
>> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
>> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
>> Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs
>> through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the
>> printer.
>>
>> Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, running
>> XP Pro, and one at my office, running XP Home; both behave identically.
>>
>> The printer setup has been tested as spooled-immediate, spooled-wait,
>> and raw. There is a response from the printer (internal noises), but no
>> page prints and the print job neither completes nor can it be deleted.
>>
>> I don't have any other USB printers to try - is this problem with the
>> printer or with XP?
>>
> It's incompatibility between the printer and your data.
> Look for 'control characters' in your text stream.  dos usb
> printerCertain characters, such as CHR(3), can prevent printing, or
> maybe, in your case, cause the printer to 'hang'.
> HTH

No, apparently it isn't. I have no magic control characters in the print
stream, just plain vanilla ascii text. That is, I can print "this" text
file with notepad or wordpad just fine, but if it comes from a DOS box, no
deal...

--

        If a man carefully examine his thoughts he will be
        surprised to find how much he lives in the future. His
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:51:56 +0200, ktos wrote:

> Bill Ding :
>> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>>

>> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
>> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.

> The reason is HP1020, not USB port.

This is the conclusion I've come to - I tried dos2usb and a couple of
others, and they don't do anything at all.

> 1020 is pure GDI Windows printer, it has no PCL emulation. Try HP 1022 -
> it's OK.

Damn... the client had a friend tell her to buy the 1022, but the local
computer dealer had 1020's, and I bought one and liked it a lot (I still
use an LJ II and an LJ 4) and told her to get one...

I've no problem shooting the print to a file and running a batch file to
bring up wordpad with that document... now, if I could just find a
command-line parameter to print and exit, everything would be just swell...

Thanks for the response.

--

        Finman's Principle: The one you want is never the one
        on sale.
"Bill Ding" <carpenter@construction.net> wrote in message

> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>
> The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
> attaches the printer to lpt1:
> net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes

hp1020 is missing internal character set neccessary for clipper program to
be able printing on it.

clipper is sending chars to lpt1, then through net use to usb, but printer
doesn't have hardware to draw characters.
such a printer needs win driver to create printable image.

look at last dave pearsons faq on printing to usb printers

the other solution is to have clipper compatible hp printer, like:
hp1015, hp1022, hp1160, hp1320 ...

0
sali5587 (72)
4/25/2006 8:15:00 PM
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:57:44 +0200, Norman Perelson wrote:
>

>> "Bill Ding" <carpenter@construction.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation.
>>>
>>> The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file
>>> attaches the printer to lpt1:
>>> net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes
>>>
>>> Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The
>>> print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print.
>>> Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs
>>> through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site,
>>> running
>>> XP Pro, and one at my office, running XP Home; both behave identically.
>>>
>>> The printer setup has been tested as spooled-immediate, spooled-wait,
>>> and raw. There is a response from the printer (internal noises), but no
>>> page prints and the print job neither completes nor can it be deleted.
>>>
>>> I don't have any other USB printers to try - is this problem with the
>>> printer or with XP?
>>>
>> It's incompatibility between the printer and your data.
>> Look for 'control characters' in your text stream.  dos usb
>> printerCertain characters, such as CHR(3), can prevent printing, or
>> maybe, in your case, cause the printer to 'hang'.
>> HTH
>
> No, apparently it isn't. I have no magic control characters in the print
> stream, just plain vanilla ascii text. That is, I can print "this" text
> file with notepad or wordpad just fine, but if it comes from a DOS box, no
> deal...

Bill,
Sorry my first answer was not exactly relevant.  As ktos has noted, the
HP1020 won't work at all with plain text.  You need a utility that will take
your text file and convert it to a format that the GDI printer understands.

Printfile from http://www.lerup.com/printfile/ is just such a utility that
can be called from a Clipper app or can be set to automatically watch for,
and print a text file.  And you can then also forget about the 'net use LPT'
command because it doesn't need a 'real port' <g>.

HTH
--
Norman Perelson
www.shopkeeper.co.za

0
norman1 (227)
4/25/2006 8:24:10 PM
Bill Ding napisał(a):
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:51:56 +0200, ktos wrote:
>

> I've no problem shooting the print to a file and running a batch file to
> bring up wordpad with that document... now, if I could just find a
> command-line parameter to print and exit, everything would be just swell...

I found the best utility on www.visual.co.uk.
The best in terms of ability to understand many formatting PCL commands.
Trial version does not allow to print directly from command line, the
preview is displayed and you have to click File->print. The full version
does, but it costs 55 $.

You can find cheaper solutions (10-15 $) but they understand only simple
formatting commands.
0
bo4043 (2)