Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98

Hello,

In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP
Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two
computers work on the same *.dbf tables.
I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and server
are on Win98.

There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server,
and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution???
Has anyone met this problem???
How did You solve it??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

comp.lang.clipper 3959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Andrzej

Maybe a read of this article could help
    http://www.witzendcs.co.uk/html/nt_networking.html

--
HTH
Steve

0
steveqNOSPAM (402)
8/26/2004 12:01:19 AM
Andrzej,

You need to make the XP computer the server.  These are known issues when
networking XP with earlier versions of Windows.

Regards,
Randal Ferguson

"Andrzej Konieczny" <andrzejkonieczny@op.pl> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP
> Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two
> computers work on the same *.dbf tables.
> I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and
server
> are on Win98.
>
> There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server,
> and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution???
> Has anyone met this problem???
> How did You solve it??
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

0
rdfsoft (28)
8/31/2004 9:45:09 PM
I don't have XP, but I've heard that XP Home can NOT be used as a server
(XP Pro can). Does anybody know if this is the case?

Randal Ferguson wrote:
> Andrzej,
>
> You need to make the XP computer the server.  These are known issues when
> networking XP with earlier versions of Windows.
>
> Regards,
> Randal Ferguson
>
> "Andrzej Konieczny" <andrzejkonieczny@op.pl> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP
>>Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two
>>computers work on the same *.dbf tables.
>>I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and
>
> server
>
>>are on Win98.
>>
>>There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server,
>>and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution???
>>Has anyone met this problem???
>>How did You solve it??
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

0
chaz (33)
8/31/2004 10:34:37 PM
Charles

You can use XP Home as a 'server' as long as you don't put your app under
'Program Files' as it's not shareable to the network.

--
HTH
Steve

0
steveqNOSPAM (402)
9/1/2004 1:15:45 AM
"Stephen Quinn" <steveqNOSPAM@integritynet.com.au> wrote:

>Charles
>
>You can use XP Home as a 'server' as long as you don't put your app under
>'Program Files' as it's not shareable to the network.

In addition, XP Home will only allow 5 network connections into it. XP
Pro allows 10.
0
Dick
9/1/2004 11:59:51 AM
Thanks Dick and Stephen for the clarification.

Dick M. Snow wrote:
> "Stephen Quinn" <steveqNOSPAM@integritynet.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Charles
>>
>>You can use XP Home as a 'server' as long as you don't put your app under
>>'Program Files' as it's not shareable to the network.
>

> In addition, XP Home will only allow 5 network connections into it. XP
> Pro allows 10.

0
chaz (33)