USB Printer & NET USE with standalone XP PC

I've looked through google without any success
THE PROBLEM:
I have Windows XP with standalone PC and USB printer. To print with Clipper
I have tried this command:
NET USE LPT1: \\MyPc\MyUsbPrinter
but it fails with various error messages

QUESTION:
it works only when the PC is connected to a network ????
Any solution for standalone XP PC ?????
Thank you
Rob

0
Roby1 (12)
2/21/2005 8:31:25 AM
comp.lang.clipper 3959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Rob,

install Microsoft's dummy network device called
'MS Loopback Adapter'.

You find it if you 'add new hardware', network card
and choose microsoft as manufacturer.

Happy Dummy Niccing everyone ;-)

Markus

--
Erstellt mit Operas revolution´┐Żrem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:40:08 +0100, "Markus Wiederstein"
<markus.wiederstein-n-o-s-p-a-m@web.de> wrote:

>Rob,
>
>install Microsoft's dummy network device called
>'MS Loopback Adapter'.
>
>You find it if you 'add new hardware', network card
>and choose microsoft as manufacturer.
>
>Happy Dummy Niccing everyone ;-)
>
>Markus

Markus,

But the Clipper application will not print correctly if the USB
printer is a "Windows-Only" printer, will it?

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

valusoft AT optushome DOT com DOT au

Please consider a donation through the Red Cross to our friends affected by the tsunamis.
Am Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:49:27 GMT schrieb Ross McKenzie
<NoJunk_valusoft@optushome.com.au>:

> Markus,
>
> But the Clipper application will not print correctly if the USB
> printer is a "Windows-Only" printer, will it?
>
> Regards,
> Ross McKenzie

Ross,

if it's a GDI Printer i'll not work, it must be a printer with it's
own processing unit.

For GDI Printers an external printmodul (See
<URL:http://www.dse.nl/%7Etmk/clipper/clpwinprint.htm>)
is needed. (or a self-made xHarbour program to handle the printout ;-)

Markus
"Rob" <Roby@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I've looked through google without any success
> THE PROBLEM:
> I have Windows XP with standalone PC and USB printer. To print with
Clipper
> I have tried this command:
> NET USE LPT1: \\MyPc\MyUsbPrinter
> but it fails with various error messages
>
> QUESTION:
> it works only when the PC is connected to a network ????
> Any solution for standalone XP PC ?????
> Thank you
> Rob

Another option that works for my clients that buy windows-only printers:

Mcmd = "c:\dbase\print\WORDPAD.EXE " + Pfile + " /p"
SWPRUNCMD (Mcmd)

Where pfile is the text file that I create for print jobs using the "Set
Printer To" command. And you can see that I copy the Wordpad.exe file to
their specific folder.

The only problem that I run across is that on some operating systems, after
the Wordpad application finishes my application does not restore. Instead my
application remains minimized on the task bar.

Good Luck,
Fred Zuckerman

0
ZuckermanF1 (252)
2/21/2005 3:59:38 PM
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:59:38 +0000, Fred Zuckerman sez:
> Mcmd = "c:\dbase\print\WORDPAD.EXE " + Pfile + " /p"
> SWPRUNCMD (Mcmd)

That's flippin' brilliant, Fred, but are you limited to plain, unformatted
text that way?  Unless you have some means of forcing the font to
monospaced you won't be able to line up columns in a tabular report.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

0
see.sig1 (102)
2/21/2005 10:56:29 PM
"Peter B. Steiger" <see.sig@for.email.address> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:59:38 +0000, Fred Zuckerman sez:
> > Mcmd = "c:\dbase\print\WORDPAD.EXE " + Pfile + " /p"
> > SWPRUNCMD (Mcmd)
>
> That's flippin' brilliant, Fred, but are you limited to plain, unformatted
> text that way?  Unless you have some means of forcing the font to
> monospaced you won't be able to line up columns in a tabular report.
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
> where you see stars: wypbs_**3 at bornagain.com.

I believe that wordpad defaults to Courier New font (ie: fixed space). But
wordpad will remember page margins, so if your printjob uses narrow margins,
then you'll want to set them as such in wordpad.

Fred

0
ZuckermanF1 (252)
2/21/2005 11:06:39 PM
Uzytkownik "Markus Wiederstein" <markus.wiederstein-n-o-s-p-a-m@web.de>
napisal w wiadomosci news:opsmjg06mfrgynrd@p4p800xp.intern...
> Rob,
>
> > Any solution for standalone XP PC ?????

xHarbour and PRINTFILERAW() command:

Clipper:

set printer to cFileName
set printer to
swpruncdm('print_f &cFileName...........)
-------------------------------

print_f.prg compiled and linked with xharbour to print_f.exe:

Procedure Main()
parameters cFileName,cDocName

aPrinter:=GetPrinters()
IF EMPTY(aPrinter)
   ? '----- No printers----'
   return (nil)
endif

il_print := LEN(aPrinter)

if il_print > 1
   if il_print > 13
      il_print := 13
   endif
   scr = savescreen(7,15,24,78)
   msetcursor(.T.)
   SET( _SET_EVENTMASK, 159 )
   @ 7,15 clear to 11+il_print,65
   @ 7,15 to 11+il_print,65 double
   @ 8,16 say "Choice a printer:"
   for ii = 1 to il_print
     kk = aPrinter[ii]
     if len(kk) < 49
        ll = padc(kk,49)
     else
        ll = kk
     endif
     @ 10+ii,16 prompt ll
   next
   menu to jj
   restscreen(7,15,24,78,scr)
   if lastkey() = 27.or.jj < 1
      return (nil)
   endif
   cPrinter :=  aPrinter[jj]
else
   cPrinter :=  aPrinter[1]
endif
PRINTFILERAW( cPrinter, cFileName, cDocName)
return (nil)
*

You can use Vouch.lib.- It`s free and wonderful for Clipper.

Regards.

Alvaro
0
valdenebro (12)