cobol compiler for Windows 7

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm an out of work mainframe developer who wants to keep up my Cobol
skills.  Is there a low-cost or free Cobol compiler available that
would work on my PC with Windows 7 operating system?
0
Reply fernhirsh (1) 7/22/2010 9:46:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jul 23, 9:46=A0am, fern <fernhi...@msn.com> wrote:
> I'm an out of work mainframe developer who wants to keep up my Cobol
> skills. =A0Is there a low-cost or free Cobol compiler available that
> would work on my PC with Windows 7 operating system?

OpenCOBOL is free. see: http://www.opencobol.org/

Windows builds are available at: http://www.kiska.net/opencobol/1.1/

0
Reply riplin (4127) 7/23/2010 1:18:30 AM

On Jul 22, 10:46=A0pm, fern <fernhi...@msn.com> wrote:
> I'm an out of work mainframe developer who wants to keep up my Cobol
> skills. =A0Is there a low-cost or free Cobol compiler available that
> would work on my PC with Windows 7 operating system?

Microfocus Net Express v5.1 Personal Edition.
0
Reply alistair7 (2054) 7/23/2010 12:21:00 PM

On Jul 22, 5:46=A0pm, fern <fernhi...@msn.com> wrote:
> I'm an out of work mainframe developer who wants to keep up my Cobol
> skills. =A0Is there a low-cost or free Cobol compiler available that
> would work on my PC with Windows 7 operating system?

Hello - Veryant www.veryant.com will release a free student edition of
isCOBOL within a month. I suggest you checked it out.
0
Reply aiglesias (2) 7/23/2010 2:53:50 PM
comp.lang.cobol 4202 articles. 4 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

COBOL Compiler for Windows
Dear All, I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. Regards, On 28 Apr, 11:31, amir <ahsha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. > Regards, www.adtools.com used to provide a free v3 of Fujitsu Cobol and if you look on the Microfocus website you can download the personal edition of v5 of their compiler. On Apr 28, 10:31=A0pm, amir <ahsha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. > Regards, http://www.adtools.com/student/index....

Problems compiling phtread-win32 2.7.0 under Windows XP SP2 using MSVC++ 7.1
I everybody, I spent some time trying to compile the last 'pthread-win32 2.7.0' (from 'http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32') release and I met the following problems. (At the end the my post, you will find the nmake log lines) 1/ First, the compilation of "private.c" generates four C4297 warnings. After looking at MSVC71 options in the MSDN, I read this : "The /EHc option requires that /EHs, /EHa, or /GX is specified. It tells the compiler to assume that extern C functions never throw an exception." Looking at the code, I noticed that ...

7 N 7. Windows 7 here in 7 days. Goodbye Linux.
Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the past, if that is even mathematically possible. You can tell that excitement is in the air over the Windows release because the Linux morons are squealing like stuck pigs. Hopefully this will put desktop Linux out of it's misery and flush the basements of the world of these Linux worshiping vermin. Who knows, maybe sales of soap, the kind used to clean things, will go up? Of course sales ...

Compiling ruby on Windows 7 x64
I've been trying to compile newest 1.9.1-p0 ruby on windows 7 x64 but no success. Steps I have followed so far. 1. I have installed Visual Studio 2005 2. I have installed Microsoft Platform SDK 3. I have launched Visual Studio 2005 x64 Win64 command prompt 4. Navigated to the source directory (C:\ruby-1.9.1-p0) 5. In this directory I have executed a) win32\configure --prefix=/usr/local --target=x64-mswin64 b) nmake You can find output from both commands attached. Basically it fails when it tries to build manifest file for miniruby. It fails with the following: cl -nologo main.ob...

Compiler thats works in Windows 7
HI guys, Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C. So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to) with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE) that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler that sticks to the standards. So, any s...

Windows 7 (Vista7) Upgrade Woes : Beware the 20 hour Windows 7 upgrade
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28810/53/ begin{quote} .... This machine was no slouch, being an ASUS Lamborghini with beefy specifications. The laptop was set up how I liked, loaded with applications and data running on top of Windows Vista. This time I chose to perform an upgrade to Windows 7, believing the end result would be a seamless migration to Microsoft’s new operating system, but with my programs and settings as they were. In contrast to the previous Windows 7 installations this upgrade took a surprisingly long time. It literally ran all night. Nothing in the Windows 7 in...

WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS
WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS - We are buying in large quantities We are wanting to buy large quantities of Dell Windows 7 Pro Disks. We are also looking to buy Dell Windows XP Pro and possibly some Vista Business as well. We also buy Microsoft, Dell, HP and other Office software packages 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012 all versions. We like to buy in quantity. We also buy the below. We buy old and new versions of Microsoft Office, Server, Windows & others. Adobe Acrobat 9 and X and others titles. Symantec Norton Antivirus, NIS a...

[...]

Matlab Compiler Java error in Windows 7
Hello, I installed Matlab 2007a on a Windows 7 computer. I had to set Java folder to new Java version. Matlab works fine. But when I try to compile the code to a dll, I get bunch of Java errors (see below). Why? Any ideas? Thank you. Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.html.WebRenderer.scrollToBottom(WebRenderer.java:804) at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.html.HTMLRenderer.scrollToBottom(HTMLRenderer.java:1383) at com.mathworks.toolbox.compiler.OutputWindow.display(OutputWindow.java:152) at com.mathworks....

Windows 7 is the same as Windows 95
So say the MacFreaks - BWAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAA. OSX is ten years old - BWAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. In article <BYmVn.187$6B.32@newsfe15.iad>, "XX" <dosexes@dsahiuargd.net> wrote: > So say the MacFreaks - BWAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAA. > > OSX is ten years old - BWAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You're doing this wrong. You're supposed to accuse OS X of being 40 years old, because it contains UNIX code. -- "The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to anyone who is entirely exempt from th...

compiled program failing to start on Windows 7
I have created a 32bit deployable windows app and installed it on a Pentium 4 based PC upgraded to Windows 7 (32bit). The MCR appears to install fine, but the executable fails to run with no messages whatsoever. It works fine on other computers including a 32 bit Windows 7 virtual machine on my 64 bit Win 7 PC. Any ideas? The second issue is that on anything but the latest PC's the MCR startup is often painfully slow, again with no indication that anything is happening. Again any comments welcome. Thanks Peter ...

Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional (using MATLAB R2007a or R2007b)
I am planning to purchase a Laptop computer and must decide whether to order it with Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional. (I now use R2007a in Debian Linux. I have the package for R2007b but haven&#8217;t installed it.) My questions are: Does MATLAB R2007a (and/or R2007b) work on Windows 7 Home Premium? If not, does it work under Windows 7 Professional? Under Windows 7 Professional, would I have to run Matlab in Windows XP mode? If both operating systems work, is there any advantage (in terms of Matlab performance) to Windows 7 Professional vs. Home Premium? Thank you. ...

windows 7 64-bit fortran compiler
I'm having some trouble getting my 64-bit Fortran compiler to work. I've installed the Microsoft Visual Studio 8 Professional software on my computer, then I installed the Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 (the only one I can find available from the Intel site). When I run mex -setup it doesn't find the compiler because it's looking in a different location. I give it the location of the ifort.exe file instead ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\bin\intel64) and the setup routine seems to be happy. But when I try to compile a file with 'mex -v yprimef....

Installing GNU C++ compiler under Windows 7
I bought "C++ Primer Fifth Edition" as an introduction to C++. It says that it used the GNU C++ compiler mostly. Can that be installed under Windows 7? I did a brief search, but everything that talked about binaries or downloading just gave links to other pages which talked about something else. I'm getting the feeling that I'm in one of those situations "I wouldn't start from here if I were you". -- Steve Swift http://www.swiftys.org.uk/ On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:08:52 +0000, Swifty wrote: > I bought "C++ Primer Fifth Edition&quo...

Cobol compilation hangs under vms 7-3
Hello all, I have a very simple cobol program (hello world program), and I can not complile this under VMS 7-3; However it compiles correctly under 8-3 (so no syntax errors).... When I take a look at the compilation process it keeps on using CPU power, but it never ends :O) Any idea what the problem could be ? Licensing problems, a special authorizarion needed,.... I got the same behavior when I compiled another cobol program; that's why I did try it with a 'hello world' program in cobol PS: I created also a 'hello world' in C, and this compiles and links without a pr...

COBOL compiler written in COBOL
Way back in 1974 I was the systems programmer in an all COBOL DP department, using an ICL 1902A mainframe, with punch card input and tape and disk storage. That was a small slow machine, and to compile a COBOL program could take up to half an hour. As usual there were many changes and file fixups to do, and these could be done only by writing a COBOL program especially for that purpose. Even for a small program it could take half a day to code, punch, list, check, compile, fix errors, recompile, and test. COBOL being a somewhat verbose language, the source was punched into cards by expe...

gawk build: windows: 7 steps to compile
Hello all! I'm novice in the C and also have isn't much knowledge about GCC. Some time ago I had wanted to add some modifications inside the GAWK code. Because I lost some time to learn how to do it, i want to public seven exact steps for novice like me. This is for those peoples who want to build GAWK for Windows32. Steps to build GAWK for WIndows32(works also under Winx64): 1. download sources from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/?source=navbar. 2. download (from http://www.mingw.org/) mingw32 and install it(choose C compiler to install) 3. copy and ove...

Windows 7 Sale! - 7 Day Sale! - Product Scope 7.9
Windows 7 Sale! - 7 Day Sale! - Product Scope 7.9 - EZChangeLog Reporter 1.7 http://www.encouragersoftware.com/secureorder.htm Windows 7 SALE! For 7 Days! - $10 OFF SALE for 7 Days - We ARE Windows 7 READY! Product Scope 7.9 ($29.95, normally $39.95) and EZChangeLog Reporter 1.7 ($9.95, normally $19.95) - Special Combo Pricing - normally $49.95 - $34.95! Check our Buy Now Page for Other Specials! Never a better time (BUT a limited time) to buy Product Scope 7.9 or EZChangeLog Reporter 1.7 OR BOTH! We ARE Windows 7 ready - both 64 bit and 32 bit! Windows 7 install compatible, ...

C compiler Version 5.7 and Xdesigner Version 7.7
Hi, Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I decided I'll ask the C gurus. First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris. I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10. I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4 errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.): mach1# cc test_gui.c mach1# ... "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 3...

GUI matlab code compiled do not work in windows 7
Hi, I have a GUI Matlab code compiled in Windows XP which are working fine. I have compiled as "windows standalone application". The problem is that when I try to use it in a windows 7 pc is not working. In both machines the same matlab version is installed. I have tried to run it with the option which exist in windows 7 "run as XP sp2 program" without to be successful. What should I do to use it in windows 7? Thank you so much! "Diego calatrabas" <diegoobradors@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ie7j4o$2pn$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, &...

Q: Free compiler for 64 bit Windows 7?
Please excuse me for a dumb question: Are there any free C++ complier running on 64 bit Windows 7? Thanks, M. K. Shen "Mok-Kong Shen" <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> > > Please excuse me for a dumb question: Are there any > free C++ complier running on 64 bit Windows 7? Guess visual studio... > Guess visual studio... Seem not completely painless in express, not sure if bug or feature... http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/ On Dec 21, 8:38=A0pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...@t-onlin...

Compiling latest svn (9684) of Xharbour on Windows 7
I'm using BCC55 on win 7 64 bit , set path to C:\Borland\BCC55\Bin, ran=20 make_b32 clean build but I get this massage below. As I understand I don't = need Bison anymore, although I tried with it too. Do I need gnu make and if= I do which version? Do I need anything else? Is there any step by step tut= orial (I tried to find anything for hours, but no luck) ? MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland source\common\hbfopen.c: source\common\hbfsapi.c: source\common\hbgete.c: source\common\hbhash.c: source\common\hbmem.c: source\common\hbstr.c: source\common\hbp...