Full stop/period on a line by itself?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:

[snip]

 > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
shalt
> pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
> program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
Thou
> shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
> errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
> be among itself alone on a line..."

I like these commandments, with one modification.

Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
that statement.)

That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.

Walter

Reply wmurray (20) 6/9/2005 2:57:10 AM

See related articles to this posting

Walter Murray wrote:

>In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
> > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
>shalt
>

>>pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
>>program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
>>

>Thou
>

>>shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
>>errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
>>be among itself alone on a line..."
>>

>I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
>Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
>the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
>CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
>a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
>that statement.)
>
>That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
>I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
>mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
>Walter

Why bother typing 8 more characters?  The period is required; the
CONTINUE is not.

I'm a fan of coding the period on a line by itself.  I'm a BIG fan of
not coding periods after imperative statements.  I'm also a fan of using
scope terminators in place of periods.  That said....

I don't know why a shop would forbid other periods, though.  Most shops
which are big enough to have a published standard are also big enough to
have (tens or hundreds of) thousands of old programs written before
their current standard was in place or enforced.  Would a programmer be
expected to change working code when doing maintenance on a program, to
bring it "up to standard"?

The shop from which I recently retired is the only one I know of which
uses a program to enforce its standards.  A good deal of discussion and
design was required to manage both new and old programs, as well as to
overcome the resistance and suspicions of the programming staff.  But,
old programs get away with some things that new programs do not, such as
"GO TO para-EXIT", and mixing sections and paragraphs.
0
Reply cmcampb (109) 6/9/2005 3:32:11 AM

I like your idea, Walter.

Currently, I place full stops on a line by themselves, and only ever
preceding a section or paragraph header. (I don't consider them to be part
of logic in modern COBOL.

Using CONTINUE with it would cetainly make it more visible.

Good idea...

Pete.

TOP POST no  more below...

"Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote in message
> In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
> shalt
> > pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within
thy
> > program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
> Thou
> > shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so
that
> > errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have
shall
> > be among itself alone on a line..."
>

> I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE
as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows
the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement
is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)
>
> That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
> I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
> mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
> Walter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/9/2005 8:53:24 AM

In article <42a7b0ef$1_1@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
 "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:

> In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
> shalt
> > pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
> > program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
> Thou
> > shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
> > errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
> > be among itself alone on a line..."
>

> I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)
>
> That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
> I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
> mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
> Walter

I have adopted something similar.

Since I am in an z/OS shop with little need for source portability I use
the "EXIT" statement prior to all full-stop periods.

I had to adopt it because the CICS v4.1 pre-compiler was greedy -- it
would consume any period following an "Exec CICS" command, resulting in
a possible error.

But I found it to be a nice way to make the period visible.

I suppose I should move to "CONTINUE." to work more in line with
standard Cobol.
0
Reply joe_zitzelberger (642) 6/9/2005 12:33:19 PM

On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:

> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)

That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line by
itself.
0
Reply howard (6275) 6/9/2005 1:45:43 PM

On  9-Jun-2005, Joe Zitzelberger <joe_zitzelberger@nospam.com> wrote:

> Since I am in an z/OS shop with little need for source portability I use
> the "EXIT" statement prior to all full-stop periods.
>
> I had to adopt it because the CICS v4.1 pre-compiler was greedy -- it
> would consume any period following an "Exec CICS" command, resulting in
> a possible error.
>
> But I found it to be a nice way to make the period visible.
>
> I suppose I should move to "CONTINUE." to work more in line with
> standard Cobol.

With old programs that have EXIT statements, I will sometimes replace the EXIT
with CONTINUE.   I'd rather re-write it without any drop through paragraphs
(which I abhor).    But the CONTINUE gives me some easier options:

 8000-GET-TAX-EXIT.
     CONTINUE.
D   DISPLAY 'DEBUGGING - REACHED 8000-GET-TAX-EXIT'.
0
Reply howard (6275) 6/9/2005 1:49:53 PM

"Colin Campbell" <cmcampb@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> Why bother typing 8 more characters?  The period is required; the
> CONTINUE is not.

The period may or may not be obvious to the *human reader* when looking at a
screen, or even a listing.  The CONTINUE on a line by itself helps draw
attention to the period, particularly when reasonable indentation rules are
followed that would identify the statement as "not subordinate".

    -Chuck Stevens

0
Reply charles.stevens (1297) 6/9/2005 4:44:54 PM

"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

> On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:
>
> > Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE
as
> > the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows
the
> > CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement
is
> > a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> > that statement.)
>
> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line
by
> itself.

If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
the less they achieve their goals.

If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive they
are, the better.

I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal... :-)

Pete.

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/9/2005 11:27:35 PM

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote in

> "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message
>>
>> On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a
>> > CONTINUE
> as
>> > the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately
>> > follows
> the
>> > CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last
>> > statement
> is
>> > a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately
>> > follows that statement.)
>>
>> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a
>> line
> by
>> itself.
>
> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they
> are, the less they achieve their goals.
>
> If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive
> they are, the better.
>
> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the
> period on a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal...
> :-)
>
> Pete.

    	Just wait - your eyesight is bound to weaken sooner or later.

    	Windows in particular is famous for tiny periods.
    	Not to mention the lower case "L" (lima), uppercase "I" (india),
number "1" (one) problem in some fonts.

0
Reply rws0203nospam (24) 6/10/2005 12:42:26 AM

> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
> the less they achieve their goals.

Standards aren't intended to assist the people who are writing
programs, they are imposed on those writing them to assist the people
who have to read and understand them later.

Thus the more restrictive they are, the more likely that the next
programmer's presumptions will be true and misunderstandings will be
less likely.

> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
> a line by itself,

I can think of a reason, but it is not something that I would willingly
put up. Of course 'willingly' could be influenced by hourly rate.

0
Reply riplin (4127) 6/10/2005 1:28:43 AM

"Russell" <rws0203nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote in
>

> > "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

> > as
> > the
> > is
> >>
> >> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a
> >> line
> > by
> >> itself.
> >
> > If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they
> > are, the less they achieve their goals.
> >
> > If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive
> > they are, the better.
> >
> > I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the
> > period on a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal...
> > :-)
> >
> > Pete.
> >

>     Just wait - your eyesight is bound to weaken sooner or later.

It has. That's WHY I would put the period where I can see it. (I'd really
rather not use them at all and I strive for this in code.)

>     Windows in particular is famous for tiny periods.
>     Not to mention the lower case "L" (lima), uppercase "I" (india),
> number "1" (one) problem in some fonts.

Yep. Agree completely.

Pete.

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/10/2005 2:43:11 AM

On  9-Jun-2005, "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> > That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line
> by
> > itself.
>
> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
> the less they achieve their goals.
>
> If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive they
> are, the better.
>
> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
> a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal... :-)

My guess:  As with most standards - someone got in trouble when he didn't see a
period, so he decided that they should be very visible.   I've seen similar
standards against having commas - which can look like periods when the impact
printer is dirty.
0
Reply howard (6275) 6/10/2005 2:12:01 PM

I do!
Frank

>>> Walter Murray<wmurray@midtown.net> 6/8/2005 8:57:10 PM >>>

I like these commandments, with one modification.

Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
that statement.)

That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.

Walter

News==----
Newsgroups

Reply Frank.Swarbrick (670) 6/13/2005 10:53:46 PM
comp.lang.cobol 4199 articles. 3 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to stop java service with command line parameter '-stop'?
I've got a java service under solaris which runs in the background (command line based). When I start the application it runs and periodically executes some stuff. Questions: ========== 1. Is there an easy and quick way to stop the application/service instead of killing the process from within the shell (which is not really nice). 2. How can I stop it using java code? Is there any other way than listening to a socket or monitoring a file for some kind of shutdown command? (interprocess communication) 2. How can I avoid that more than one instance of the application run at the same time...

Stop line wrapping
Hi All, I have a spamtrap set up whereby email to a particular address is piped into a perl script which forwards the info on to SpamCop. Problem is, sendmail appears to be wrapping long lines with an '=' sign which is messing up the links in the email, e.g: http://www.some-spammers-website.com/dirname/pagename.html becomes http://www.some-spammers-website.com/dirn= ame/pagename.html and doesn't get processed properly. Is there any way of telling sendmail not to wrap the lines when it pipes it to the perl script? Squet34785 wrote: > Hi All, > I have a spamtrap set up w...

stop extra lines from printing
having all sorts of problems extracting the data. The file I am extracting on is library catalog records. For instance sometimes I get the subject printing in the wrong record, or blank lines between each subject (some records have more than one subject field) eg: Author Joe Blow Title Fishing in a coal mine SUBJ Fishing SUBJ Coal mines I'll get results like this Author Joe Blow Title Fishing in a coal mine SUBJ Fishing SUBJ Coal mines I'd like to be able for instance keep things together and then have a blank line between the last element of the first recor...

wrapfig with full lines before image ?
In TLC2 is said, that it is only possible to have full lines before the image when using teh package wrapfig, by placing the image directly (and manual) after the considered linebreak. So I mean something like Text Text Text Text ----------- Text Text |PICTURE| Text Text ----------- Text Text Text Text Text Text This functionality is implemented within the really old package 'picinpar'. However picinpar has lots if deficiencies that wrapfig does not have. Would it be possible (in princible) to add the function of dropping lines before the image to the package 'wrapfig'...

\includegraphics{file with a full stop}
i want to insert a graphics file, say a.b.eps. if i try \includegraphics{a.b} latex cannot find file `a.b'. if i use \includegraphics{a.b.eps} everything is fine, but i would prefer not to specify the extension (in case i want to make pdf's). i've also tried delimiting the filename using 'a.b' and "a.b", and using \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}, but that still gives the error. is there a simple way around this (besides specifying the extension or renaming the file)? tom (using latest miktex on win xp sp2) Tom Micevski <none@none.au> schrieb: &g...

Stopping period on newline of bibitem
I am using LaTeX and Natbib to generate my dissertation with the apa style (called apax because it is slightly modified to permit more than 26 authors/year combinations). All is well, except in a few circumstances the bibitem has a break in which the concluding "." ends up on a line by itself. Is there anyway to tweak the algorithm so that having a lone "." is worse than slightly infringing upon the right margin? \usepackage[hyphens]{url} \usepackage[]{natbib} .... % keep bibitems on the same page \let\oldbibitem=\bibitem \renewcommand{\bibitem}{% \filbreak \oldbibitem ...

Lines beginning with a period over SMTP

Retrieving the full command line
[Python 2.7/3.3 (and hg tip) running on Windows. Not Windows-specific, though]. I use the python -mpackage incantation to run a package which has a __main__.py module and which uses relative imports internally. I'm developing under cherrypy which includes a reloader for development. The reloader attempts to rebuild the original command line by combining sys.executable and sys.argv and then does an execv. There does not appear to be any way within Python of determining the command line I used. The combination of sys.executable and sys.argv in this case will look like: "...

Application Memory Full
Running LabView 3.1 on a 386 machine. After several minutes of running get the following: "Application Memory Full: Saving and closing VIs can free memory. You may need to increase the Total Memory allocated to LabView from the Preferences Dialog." I gave it the entire 32 meg and still the same. What to look into? remeber it's an ancient 386! tks Randy Bates Shift registers accumulating data with Build Array or Append String functions inside! Bad calculation of For loop count with autoindexing output on foor loop boundery. Or simply an autoindexing output on a while loop. The...

detect preceding full stop
I have the following situation... text text text text. \commA{para} text text text text Within the definition of \commA I want to detect whether its call was preceded by a full stop and a space, and if so, I want to execute the command \commB. Any ideas? Tobias "Tobias Wahl" <enxtw1@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote in message news:bi2flt$obb$1@oyez.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk... > I have the following situation... > > > text text text text. \commA{para} text text text text > > > Within the definition of \commA I want to detect whether its call was > preceded b...

How to control the line in--- PLAY and STOP ?
Hi,&nbsp;&nbsp; This is the&nbsp; volume control library downloaded&nbsp; from NI wed site .It is help for my task.&nbsp;&nbsp; My task is to control the line in with LabVIEW, for example STOP, PLAY and adjust volume with LabVIEW button.Though the example I see the volume control can&nbsp; be enablement.But I don't know how to design the PLAY and STOP button.&nbsp;&nbsp; I see it is similar to the volume control.There is function to control the the PLAY and STOP in the system Library-winmm.dll. I don't know&nbsp; whether all I think is right.I ha...

PMCOM10 Stops working after a period ?
PMCOM10 Stops working after a period of time? No receipt nor transmission of data possible any more. Is PMCOM10 the latest version ? Can somebody help me ? Thanks, Patrick Test situation: PC1(win32 appl) 20 byte -> PC2 (pmcom1) PC1(win32 appl) <-20 byte PC2(pmcom1) PC2 Program: //-------------------------------------------------------------------------- - #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <com.h> int main() { int key=0; int i; char buf1[256]; COMInit(); i=COMPortOpen(COM4,115200,8,'N',1,0,NULL); if (i<0){ printf(&q...

stopping vim from line wrapping
I like my .vimrc except it wraps automatically at 100 char's . I changed tw to 500 but didn't have any effect. Here's my vimrc, any help appreciated. set nocp " :-) " turn these ON: set digraph ek hidden ruler sc vb wmnu " turn these OFF: set noeb noet nosol " non-toggles: set bs=2 fo=cqrt ls=2 shm=at tw=100 ww=<,>,h,l set comments=b:#,:%,fb:-,n:>,n:) "set list listchars=tab:�,trail: set viminfo=%,'50,\"100,:100,n~/.viminfo set number " settings which are the default " (at least with "nocompatible" anyw...

how to stop headphone muting line-out
hi, i have some computer speakers plugged in to the line-out of my realtek 650f sound card (on board Shuttle St61G4). i want to send another line-out to a hifi system to another room. (it has a line-in). i can connect the hifi via the headphone jack but it mutes the other speakers (of course). is there a way to prevent this happening? is a y cable splitter the simplest and cheapest option? don't have radio shack in ireland but might be able to get a y-cable if i hunt around. the computer speakers don't have a line-out unfortunately. thanks in advance tim ...

Filter stops after 600 lines
I am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this; I am using the content control filter and after 600 lines it just stops reading the file. I am creating the filter using a text editor (EditPad) and I encountered a problem where a filter should have been catching the spam and didn't, so I went into the filter via pegasus and when I scroll down to the bottom of the filter the bottom part of it is missing. I thought maybe it was the word wrap so I disabled that and no luck. I also tried copy pasting the lines into the filter via pegasus but it still seems to crap out just b...

Stopping a Userver from command line
Hi, Through the Urouter Monitor, we are able to stop a Userver process. We can also do this from the server directly from the *kill* command in unix. I would like to know... a) Is there a difference? b) If there is a difference, is there a way to stop a Userver /nicely/ from the command line, without using the *kill* command. c) What is the actual process when we stop a Userver from the Urouter Monitor? Does it simply *kill* the process? eg, something like this may be preferable.... urouter -stopuserver -userverid=1998 -stopmode=forced ...instead of someth...

Where do you put the full stops in this matrix calculation?
Ok, honestly, I have spent over on hour on this and these repeated errors are really getting on my nerves. Where do you put the full stops ('.')? This is how far I got, and T is the only matrix, while k and E2 are both scalar: C=(E2^(2)*exp(-E2./(k*T)))./(k*T.^(2).*(exp(-E2./(k*T)) + 1)) - (E2^(2)*exp(-(2.*E2)./(k*T)))./(k*T^(2).*(exp.(-E2./(k*T)) + 1)^(2)); Absolutely any help is greatly appreciated! On 6/4/2012 4:06 PM, Mark wrote: > Ok, honestly, I have spent over on hour on this and these repeated errors are >really getting on my nerves. Where do you put the full ...

How stopping and restarting full text indexing?
Hi, I've got a full text index which works fine, SQLSERVER2000/WIN 2000 SERVER. The system requires to update indexes immediately, so I use a timestamp field to enable this. No problems so far. Now, I've got a stored procedures which nearly daily inserts about 10.000 rows. When doing this while full text indexing is active, all users start complaining about performance. In order to work around this problem I tried doing the following ... Create myStoredProcedure -- begin of stored procedure exec sp_fulltext_table 'adsfull', 'stop_background_updateindex' exec sp_f...

Full stop mode with Freescale MAC7121
Hello, I need some help to activate full stop mode in MAC7121: before I activated pseudo-stop mode, and it works fine. Now I need to activate full stop mode, but it doesn't work. This is the code: CRG.CLKSEL.B.PLLSEL = 0; // selected oscilator clock CRG.PLLCTL.B.PLLON = 0; // stop PLL MCM.MWCR.R=0x80; // activated wakeup on interrupt #ifdef FULL_STOP CRG.CLKSEL.B.PSTP = 0; // full stop #else CRG.CLKSEL.B.PSTP = 1; // pseudo stop #endif CRG.SDMCTL.R = 0x01; // enter in stop mode { uint16_t i; for (i=0; i<100; i++); } // wa...

period on line by itself, message cut off by majordomo
Hi, If a line in a message contains only a "period", majordomo cuts off the message at that point: the rest of the message is lost/deleted. eg. text text .. text text The last two lines would be lost. Any way around this? ps. The problem does not happen if the message is sent via sendmail, it only happens when the message is processed by majordomo. Thanks, Jon ...

Stop listivew line from being highlighted/selected
Hi All As soon as I run up my test app, an entry in my listview is highlighted and if I click on any other entry they become highlighted. Is there any way that I can completely remove the highlighting aspect of this listview?? Thanks Got it! Sorry about that. "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:e_ydnXx3re_YUc3XnZ2dnUVZ8mmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk... Hi All As soon as I run up my test app, an entry in my listview is highlighted and if I click on any other entry they become highlighted. Is there any way that I can completely remove ...

How do I stop the pdksh command line from jumping?
I am using the pdksh shell at the command line. When my cursor reaches the end of the screen, instead of moving down to the beginning of the line, a "jump" occurs, so that the first part of the command line is lost from view, and I can see only the tail end of what I had typed. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? It is really annoying. I just want the cursor to moves down a line and back to the left ("CRLF" style), like it does with most other shells. Mark. -- Mark Hobley Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/ On Sun, 31 Oct 20...

server full GC stops all clients
Hi Group, I have an interesting issue related to GC in client server topology, When one server embarks on a full GC, all clients and servers come to a halt until the GC is complete. So, if a system had N servers and each server hit a full GC every M seconds, there would be a global flatline every M/N seconds. For example, GC every 80 seconds and 20 servers averages 1 global flatline every 4 seconds. It is unclear why all clients and all servers stop on one server's full GC. Thanks in Advance. Yogi "yogi" <mahajan.yogesh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152082939....

Stopping Simulink simulations from the command line.
I'm having some trouble stopping simulink simulations from the MATLAB command line. I start simulations using the following command: sim('my_sim') I'm unable to stop the simulation using any of the following command line calls: set_param('my_sim','SimulationCommand','stop') or set_param('my_sim','stop') Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I answered my own question. It seems that you can only use set_param('my_sim','stop') when you start a simulation using set_param('my_sim','start') ...