Full stop/period on a line by itself?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:

[snip]

 > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
shalt
> pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
> program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
Thou
> shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
> errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
> be among itself alone on a line..."

I like these commandments, with one modification.

Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
that statement.)

That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.

Walter

Reply wmurray (20) 6/9/2005 2:57:10 AM

See related articles to this posting

Walter Murray wrote:

>In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
> > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
>shalt
>

>>pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
>>program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
>>

>Thou
>

>>shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
>>errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
>>be among itself alone on a line..."
>>

>I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
>Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
>the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
>CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
>a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
>that statement.)
>
>That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
>I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
>mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
>Walter

Why bother typing 8 more characters?  The period is required; the
CONTINUE is not.

I'm a fan of coding the period on a line by itself.  I'm a BIG fan of
not coding periods after imperative statements.  I'm also a fan of using
scope terminators in place of periods.  That said....

I don't know why a shop would forbid other periods, though.  Most shops
which are big enough to have a published standard are also big enough to
have (tens or hundreds of) thousands of old programs written before
their current standard was in place or enforced.  Would a programmer be
expected to change working code when doing maintenance on a program, to
bring it "up to standard"?

The shop from which I recently retired is the only one I know of which
uses a program to enforce its standards.  A good deal of discussion and
design was required to manage both new and old programs, as well as to
overcome the resistance and suspicions of the programming staff.  But,
old programs get away with some things that new programs do not, such as
"GO TO para-EXIT", and mixing sections and paragraphs.
0
Reply cmcampb (110) 6/9/2005 3:32:11 AM

I like your idea, Walter.

Currently, I place full stops on a line by themselves, and only ever
preceding a section or paragraph header. (I don't consider them to be part
of logic in modern COBOL.

Using CONTINUE with it would cetainly make it more visible.

Good idea...

Pete.

TOP POST no  more below...

"Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote in message
> In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
> shalt
> > pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within
thy
> > program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
> Thou
> > shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so
that
> > errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have
shall
> > be among itself alone on a line..."
>

> I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE
as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows
the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement
is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)
>
> That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
> I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
> mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
> Walter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/9/2005 8:53:24 AM

In article <42a7b0ef$1_1@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
 "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:

> In another thread, "HeyBub"  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > Oh well, there's at least one shop "standard" that says "... and thou
> shalt
> > pitch it within and without with pitch and thou shalt not have within thy
> > program a "GO TO" but thou shalt have within each paragraph one period.
> Thou
> > shalt not have two periods, nay even three, but one and one alone so that
> > errors may not be multiplied and this one period that thou must have shall
> > be among itself alone on a line..."
>

> I like these commandments, with one modification.
>
> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)
>
> That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.
>
> I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
> mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.
>
> Walter

I have adopted something similar.

Since I am in an z/OS shop with little need for source portability I use
the "EXIT" statement prior to all full-stop periods.

I had to adopt it because the CICS v4.1 pre-compiler was greedy -- it
would consume any period following an "Exec CICS" command, resulting in
a possible error.

But I found it to be a nice way to make the period visible.

I suppose I should move to "CONTINUE." to work more in line with
standard Cobol.
0
Reply joe_zitzelberger (642) 6/9/2005 12:33:19 PM

On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:

> Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
> the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
> CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
> a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> that statement.)

That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line by
itself.
0
Reply howard (6280) 6/9/2005 1:45:43 PM

On  9-Jun-2005, Joe Zitzelberger <joe_zitzelberger@nospam.com> wrote:

> Since I am in an z/OS shop with little need for source portability I use
> the "EXIT" statement prior to all full-stop periods.
>
> I had to adopt it because the CICS v4.1 pre-compiler was greedy -- it
> would consume any period following an "Exec CICS" command, resulting in
> a possible error.
>
> But I found it to be a nice way to make the period visible.
>
> I suppose I should move to "CONTINUE." to work more in line with
> standard Cobol.

With old programs that have EXIT statements, I will sometimes replace the EXIT
with CONTINUE.   I'd rather re-write it without any drop through paragraphs
(which I abhor).    But the CONTINUE gives me some easier options:

 8000-GET-TAX-EXIT.
     CONTINUE.
D   DISPLAY 'DEBUGGING - REACHED 8000-GET-TAX-EXIT'.
0
Reply howard (6280) 6/9/2005 1:49:53 PM

"Colin Campbell" <cmcampb@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> Why bother typing 8 more characters?  The period is required; the
> CONTINUE is not.

The period may or may not be obvious to the *human reader* when looking at a
screen, or even a listing.  The CONTINUE on a line by itself helps draw
attention to the period, particularly when reasonable indentation rules are
followed that would identify the statement as "not subordinate".

    -Chuck Stevens

0
Reply charles.stevens (1297) 6/9/2005 4:44:54 PM

"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

> On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:
>
> > Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE
as
> > the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows
the
> > CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement
is
> > a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
> > that statement.)
>
> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line
by
> itself.

If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
the less they achieve their goals.

If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive they
are, the better.

I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal... :-)

Pete.

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/9/2005 11:27:35 PM

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote in

> "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message
>>
>> On  8-Jun-2005, "Walter Murray" <wmurray@midtown.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a
>> > CONTINUE
> as
>> > the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately
>> > follows
> the
>> > CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last
>> > statement
> is
>> > a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately
>> > follows that statement.)
>>
>> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a
>> line
> by
>> itself.
>
> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they
> are, the less they achieve their goals.
>
> If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive
> they are, the better.
>
> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the
> period on a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal...
> :-)
>
> Pete.

    	Just wait - your eyesight is bound to weaken sooner or later.

    	Windows in particular is famous for tiny periods.
    	Not to mention the lower case "L" (lima), uppercase "I" (india),
number "1" (one) problem in some fonts.

0
Reply rws0203nospam (24) 6/10/2005 12:42:26 AM

> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
> the less they achieve their goals.

Standards aren't intended to assist the people who are writing
programs, they are imposed on those writing them to assist the people
who have to read and understand them later.

Thus the more restrictive they are, the more likely that the next
programmer's presumptions will be true and misunderstandings will be
less likely.

> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
> a line by itself,

I can think of a reason, but it is not something that I would willingly
put up. Of course 'willingly' could be influenced by hourly rate.

0
Reply riplin (4127) 6/10/2005 1:28:43 AM

"Russell" <rws0203nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote in
>

> > "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

> > as
> > the
> > is
> >>
> >> That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a
> >> line
> > by
> >> itself.
> >
> > If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they
> > are, the less they achieve their goals.
> >
> > If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive
> > they are, the better.
> >
> > I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the
> > period on a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal...
> > :-)
> >
> > Pete.
> >

>     Just wait - your eyesight is bound to weaken sooner or later.

It has. That's WHY I would put the period where I can see it. (I'd really
rather not use them at all and I strive for this in code.)

>     Windows in particular is famous for tiny periods.
>     Not to mention the lower case "L" (lima), uppercase "I" (india),
> number "1" (one) problem in some fonts.

Yep. Agree completely.

Pete.

0
Reply dashwood1 (2140) 6/10/2005 2:43:11 AM

On  9-Jun-2005, "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> > That wouldn't be against our shop's standards, unlike a period on a line
> by
> > itself.
>
> If standards are intended to assist  people, the more restrictive they are,
> the less they achieve their goals.
>
> If they are intended to establish authority, then the more restrictive they
> are, the better.
>
> I can't think of any reason why it would be 'forbidden' to put the period on
> a line by itself, but I guess I'm just a pinko liberal... :-)

My guess:  As with most standards - someone got in trouble when he didn't see a
period, so he decided that they should be very visible.   I've seen similar
standards against having commas - which can look like periods when the impact
printer is dirty.
0
Reply howard (6280) 6/10/2005 2:12:01 PM

I do!
Frank

>>> Walter Murray<wmurray@midtown.net> 6/8/2005 8:57:10 PM >>>

I like these commandments, with one modification.

Rather than putting the period all by itself on a line, I use a CONTINUE as
the last statement of the paragraph, and the period immediately follows the
CONTINUE on the same line.  (Exceptions would be when the last statement is
a STOP RUN or EXIT PROGRAM, in which case the period immediately follows
that statement.)

That's my style, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm curious whether anyone else does this.  I don't know that I've seen it
mentioned anywhere, but it works well for me.

Walter

News==----
Newsgroups

Reply Frank.Swarbrick (670) 6/13/2005 10:53:46 PM
comp.lang.cobol 4202 articles. 4 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Stop it Stop it Stop it
All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting for bastardbuy to ship me a freakin' out-of-stock-don't-know-when-more-will-arrive Xbox 360 and Oblivion. I have a good mind to download Oblivion from a torrent and play it on my computer. You're all so insensitive to my pain, so I'm going to have to filter Oblivion posts for now. "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:kRZVf.811$u15.185775@news20.bellglobal.com... > All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting > for bastardbuy t...

How to stop java service with command line parameter '-stop'?
I've got a java service under solaris which runs in the background (command line based). When I start the application it runs and periodically executes some stuff. Questions: ========== 1. Is there an easy and quick way to stop the application/service instead of killing the process from within the shell (which is not really nice). 2. How can I stop it using java code? Is there any other way than listening to a socket or monitoring a file for some kind of shutdown command? (interprocess communication) 2. How can I avoid that more than one instance of the application run at the same time...

Stop line wrapping
Hi All, I have a spamtrap set up whereby email to a particular address is piped into a perl script which forwards the info on to SpamCop. Problem is, sendmail appears to be wrapping long lines with an '=' sign which is messing up the links in the email, e.g: http://www.some-spammers-website.com/dirname/pagename.html becomes http://www.some-spammers-website.com/dirn= ame/pagename.html and doesn't get processed properly. Is there any way of telling sendmail not to wrap the lines when it pipes it to the perl script? Squet34785 wrote: > Hi All, > I have a spamtrap set up w...

Display a file line by line but not blank lines.

Midpoint of a line, Thirdpoint of line, Quarterpoint of line
Dear Matlab community, For some reason I am having difficulty formulating the points that divide a line segment into thirds and fourths. The midpoint is easy, just the (mean([x1,x2]),mean([y1,y2])), but for some reason my mind is blanking on the others. Please help point me in the right direction. I will do the rest. Thanks in advance. Eric Nevermind...figured it out. sorry to bother, I was just having a lapse in my thinking. ...

stop extra lines from printing
having all sorts of problems extracting the data. The file I am extracting on is library catalog records. For instance sometimes I get the subject printing in the wrong record, or blank lines between each subject (some records have more than one subject field) eg: Author Joe Blow Title Fishing in a coal mine SUBJ Fishing SUBJ Coal mines I'll get results like this Author Joe Blow Title Fishing in a coal mine SUBJ Fishing SUBJ Coal mines I'd like to be able for instance keep things together and then have a blank line between the last element of the first recor...

wrapfig with full lines before image ?
In TLC2 is said, that it is only possible to have full lines before the image when using teh package wrapfig, by placing the image directly (and manual) after the considered linebreak. So I mean something like Text Text Text Text ----------- Text Text |PICTURE| Text Text ----------- Text Text Text Text Text Text This functionality is implemented within the really old package 'picinpar'. However picinpar has lots if deficiencies that wrapfig does not have. Would it be possible (in princible) to add the function of dropping lines before the image to the package 'wrapfig'...

Match line by line
Hi all.. my $jarFile = "input.jar"; my $content = qx/jar tf $jarFile/; $content contains the list of files in the jar file. META-INF/ META-INF/MANIFEST.MF searchjar/ searchjar/JARFileFilter.class searchjar/Main.class In the program, i would like to use regex to match line by line to check if a specified string exists in it. my $userInputString = "Main.class"; if(@match = $content =~ m/$userInputString/gs){ print "File is found:\t"; print @match; } How can i achieve to print out the result of "searchjar/Main.class" Appreciate any help i gue...

map command line start of line and end of line
Is there a way to remap the key strokes used for going to the begining or end of a commandline. In other words can I change Ctrl-E with Ctrl-end? this might seem like a silly request but due to a problem/ configuration with my fingers the ctrl-e command is very difficult. I know that keys can be mapped to commands but I haven't a clue if there is a way to specify the start of a command line using "job/ define ...." thank for the help john john coltrane wrote: > Is there a way to remap the key strokes used for going to the begining > or end of a commandline. > In oth...

Beginner: read $array with line breaks line by line
Hello happy Perlers, my aim is to transform a large Address list in html to a LaTeX-Address-List for a series (?) letter (=the same letter with many different addresses). My html-address-list you may find on following internet address: http://podiuminternational.org/addresses/competitions/competitionsfunds.htm This file I am reading in without line breaks, or say I read in the whole file as one line (I understand this like that, I am beginner), setting $/ to undef. First I am reading in the file, removing the html; result is the array @complete_address. The next step is to transform thes...

line by line subtraction
Hello I'm looking for a quiker way to do this: 1 1 1 - 1 2 3 = 0 -1 -2 2 2 2 1 0 -1 i.e. to subtract one vector from every line of a matrix (which do have the same number of columns) right now i'm doing it like this for ii = 1:number_of_lines a(ii,:) = b(ii,:) - c; end is there any faster way of doing this (as i have quite a lot of subtractions to do...)? thank you very much thethos Hi, you could try subtracting the matrix c=repmat([1,2,3],number_of_lines,1) from the matrix containing the lines 111, 222, ... the repmat com...

How to read a text file line by line and remove some line
Can anyone please help me in writing the code in C++ : I want a read a file line by line,remove the lines which have length of a particular field in a line exceeding 63 characters After removing the line the corresponding blank spaces generated after removal of the line also needs to be removed. .. I am in urgent need for this solution.Kindly help how to go about it. Thanks in advance , Kaushik "kaushikshome" writes: > Can anyone please help me in writing the code in C++ : > > I want a read a file line by line,remove the lines which have length of > a particular ...

\includegraphics{file with a full stop}
i want to insert a graphics file, say a.b.eps. if i try \includegraphics{a.b} latex cannot find file `a.b'. if i use \includegraphics{a.b.eps} everything is fine, but i would prefer not to specify the extension (in case i want to make pdf's). i've also tried delimiting the filename using 'a.b' and "a.b", and using \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}, but that still gives the error. is there a simple way around this (besides specifying the extension or renaming the file)? tom (using latest miktex on win xp sp2) Tom Micevski <none@none.au> schrieb: &g...

Stopping period on newline of bibitem
I am using LaTeX and Natbib to generate my dissertation with the apa style (called apax because it is slightly modified to permit more than 26 authors/year combinations). All is well, except in a few circumstances the bibitem has a break in which the concluding "." ends up on a line by itself. Is there anyway to tweak the algorithm so that having a lone "." is worse than slightly infringing upon the right margin? \usepackage[hyphens]{url} \usepackage[]{natbib} .... % keep bibitems on the same page \let\oldbibitem=\bibitem \renewcommand{\bibitem}{% \filbreak \oldbibitem ...

Lines beginning with a period over SMTP

Retrieving the full command line
[Python 2.7/3.3 (and hg tip) running on Windows. Not Windows-specific, though]. I use the python -mpackage incantation to run a package which has a __main__.py module and which uses relative imports internally. I'm developing under cherrypy which includes a reloader for development. The reloader attempts to rebuild the original command line by combining sys.executable and sys.argv and then does an execv. There does not appear to be any way within Python of determining the command line I used. The combination of sys.executable and sys.argv in this case will look like: "...

Cabling line in from line out
Can I run a cable from my line out port on my iMac 17" to my line in port? That way I can use sound recorder to record DVD audio. Or will this somehow give me catastrophic consequences? Matt Revenaugh Matt Revenaugh: > Can I run a cable from my line out port on my iMac 17" to my line in port? > That way I can use sound recorder to record DVD audio. Or will this somehow > give me catastrophic consequences? ***** Perhaps -- if you want to do it the 19th Century way. The 21st Century way is described at <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/>. Davoud -- usen...

Some lines before and after the line with the pattern
Hello dear newsgroup participants, I would like to know how to accomplish following in awk: find some line with the pattern in one of the columns (this is obvious) AND print not only this line but also variable amount of lines before and/or after the line with the pattern. Background: On occasion one need to look not only on the value but also on how quicly did it come to this value for example (first derivative so to say :)). Is it possible to do it with awk and if yes -- how? With Best Regards Ariel Burbaickij Ariel.Burbaickij@web.de wrote: > Hello dear newsgroup participants, >...

cumul line by line
Hi, I would like something simple to execute one query for what I want. In fact, I would like a sql output in this way : name cpt cumul n2 12 22 n1 10 10 n3 5 27 How can I do that in one mysql query ? PS : the cpt is already a sum() calculation because I want the sum of This is a table example : name price n1 5 n1 5 n2 7 n2 5 n3 1 n3 2 n3 3 My current request is : SELECT DISTINCT(name) AS name, SUM(price) AS cpt FROM table GROUP BY name ORDER BY cpt DESC Thanks for helping me. :-) Sorry, I swapped two line just before posting here... Le samedi 16 f=E9vrier 2008 =E0 16:35 +0100, News...

Application Memory Full
Running LabView 3.1 on a 386 machine. After several minutes of running get the following: "Application Memory Full: Saving and closing VIs can free memory. You may need to increase the Total Memory allocated to LabView from the Preferences Dialog." I gave it the entire 32 meg and still the same. What to look into? remeber it's an ancient 386! tks Randy Bates Shift registers accumulating data with Build Array or Append String functions inside! Bad calculation of For loop count with autoindexing output on foor loop boundery. Or simply an autoindexing output on a while loop. The...

detect preceding full stop
I have the following situation... text text text text. \commA{para} text text text text Within the definition of \commA I want to detect whether its call was preceded by a full stop and a space, and if so, I want to execute the command \commB. Any ideas? Tobias "Tobias Wahl" <enxtw1@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote in message news:bi2flt$obb$1@oyez.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk... > I have the following situation... > > > text text text text. \commA{para} text text text text > > > Within the definition of \commA I want to detect whether its call was > preceded b...

How to control the line in--- PLAY and STOP ?
Hi,&nbsp;&nbsp; This is the&nbsp; volume control library downloaded&nbsp; from NI wed site .It is help for my task.&nbsp;&nbsp; My task is to control the line in with LabVIEW, for example STOP, PLAY and adjust volume with LabVIEW button.Though the example I see the volume control can&nbsp; be enablement.But I don't know how to design the PLAY and STOP button.&nbsp;&nbsp; I see it is similar to the volume control.There is function to control the the PLAY and STOP in the system Library-winmm.dll. I don't know&nbsp; whether all I think is right.I ha...

stop does not stop the applet
Hi every one, The applet does not stop if I put this line in the init method. I have tried this.stop(); with no result. try { stop(); } catch (ThreadDeath e) { e.printStackTrace(); System.out.println("What's the secret password?"); } ............................ public void stop() { stopPlaying(bgsound); cdPlayer = null; } Qu=E9bec wrote: > The applet does not stop...

PMCOM10 Stops working after a period ?
PMCOM10 Stops working after a period of time? No receipt nor transmission of data possible any more. Is PMCOM10 the latest version ? Can somebody help me ? Thanks, Patrick Test situation: PC1(win32 appl) 20 byte -> PC2 (pmcom1) PC1(win32 appl) <-20 byte PC2(pmcom1) PC2 Program: //-------------------------------------------------------------------------- - #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <com.h> int main() { int key=0; int i; char buf1[256]; COMInit(); i=COMPortOpen(COM4,115200,8,'N',1,0,NULL); if (i<0){ printf(&q...