how do I move NULL into a field ?

Hello

I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol

eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I don
populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't b
zero. how do I do that in COBOL

please hel

-
posted via MFF :  http://www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway
0
member1 (11)
8/17/2004 9:58:09 PM
comp.lang.cobol 4278 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:58:09 GMT, aaryam <member@mainframeforum.com>
wrote:

>I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.
>
>eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
>populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be
>zero. how do I do that in COBOL.
>
>please help

Move low-values to the group name before you start moving or put a
group name over the individual field, which is functionally the same
as redefines, and move low-values to it.

Caution: it is not common practice to put nulls in packed fields. On
IBM mainframes, a reference to the numeric field name will cause an
abend. Some non-mainframe compilers, for instance Micro Focus, also
cause an abend unless a non-default runtime option is used. Why do you
think you "need" to fill it with nulls?

0
robert6624 (636)
8/17/2004 10:41:30 PM
> Hello
>
> I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol
>
> eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I don
> populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't b
> zero. how do I do that in COBOL
>
> please hel
> posted via MFF :  http://www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Since you posted this from MainFrameForum I will assume you are on
an IBM mainframe. Are you sure you know what you're doing?
COMP-3 is PACKED-DECIMAL and I assume by nulls you mean binary zeros?
Moving binary zeros would create an invalid packed field.
Can you say S0C7?

Anyway, here you go:

  05 store-id pic S99999V comp-3.
  05 store-id-x redefines
     store-id pic x(3).

  move low-values to store-id-x.

Don't blame me for abends.

-1
8/17/2004 10:46:27 PM
"aaryam" <member@mainframeforum.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.
>
> eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
> populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be
> zero. how do I do that in COBOL.
>
> please help
>
> RM
>

> --

Is this a DB2 program?   ie, are you asking how to set a column to null via
a host variable?

0
leahydon (34)
8/17/2004 10:57:49 PM
aaryam wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.

Trust me: No you don't.

> eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
> populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't
> be zero. how do I do that in COBOL.

"Store-id" An identifier? If an identifier it should never be defined as a
numeric field (part numbers, zip codes, telephone or social security
numbers, etc.). If you can't do arithmetic on the value, it's not a number
and shouldn't be defined as one.

0
nospam312 (645)
8/17/2004 11:53:46 PM
Hi RM,

Null data fields usually don't appear in COBOL code unless the field
is an address or a designated field in a DB2 table.

If it's packed it can't be an address. Could this field be a DB2 table
field?

Regards, Jack.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:53:46 -0500, "JerryMouse" <nospam@bisusa.com>
wrote:

> If you can't do arithmetic on the value, it's not a number
>and shouldn't be defined as one.

Well said. For this reason, dates are not numeric.

0
robert6624 (636)
8/18/2004 6:59:29 AM
> > I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.
> >
> > eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
> > populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be
> > zero. how do I do that in COBOL.

COBOL does not have a NULL value.

You can have a numeric zero, or an alphanumeric string of binary zeroes or
spaces, but there is no such thing as

01   FILLER
    06   THE-DATA   PIC anything VALUE IS NULL

 or

   MOVE NULL TO THE-DATA
or
  SET THE-DATA  TO NULL

That said, external programs might _consider_ a value as NULL; e.g., a
string of binary zeroes might be _interpreted_ as a null string by a 'C'
language program; or (better example for COBOL programmers) setting a
database indicator value to SQL_NULL tells a database manager that the data
being supplied is to be considered NULL.

MCM

IBM Cobol, which this seems to be, does have a null value -- for
Pointers.

You can use:

   SET THE-DATA TO NULL

as long as THE-DATA is defined as usage pointer.

On 17-Aug-2004, aaryam <member@mainframeforum.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.
>
> eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
> populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be
> zero. how do I do that in COBOL.
>
> please help

How does your subsequent program know that this COMP-3 field is null?
0
howard (6283)
8/18/2004 1:59:02 PM
Robert Wagner  wrote:
  > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:53:46 -0500, "JerryMouse"
  > <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:
  > > If you can't do arithmetic on the value, it's not a number and
  > > shouldn't be defined as one.
  > Well said. For this reason, dates are not numeric.

You don't work in an accounting environment with aged payables an
receivables, I take it

-
posted via MFF :  http://www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway
0
member1 (11)
8/18/2004 8:57:52 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:58:09 UTC, aaryam <member@mainframeforum.com>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol.
>
> eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont
> populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be
> zero. how do I do that in COBOL.
>
> please help
>
> RM

Have you tried LOW-VALUES?

--
Lorne Sunley
0

To be honest, I can't recall offhand a specific situation where I used this,
but I seem to recall at least having done so.  Justifiably?  Perhaps not,
but I'd have to recall my specific situation in order to discuss it
further...

In any case, there would obviously be code later that would say something
like:

if packed-field numeric
    perform handle-numeric
else
    perform handle-other
end-if

Frank

Frank Swarbrick wrote:
> Having a packed decimal field (or even a numeric USAGE DISPLAY field)
> set to low-values can be useful when you want to differentiate
> between a field that has a value of zero and a field that has 'no
> value'.
>
> To be honest, I can't recall offhand a specific situation where I
> used this, but I seem to recall at least having done so.
> Justifiably?  Perhaps not, but I'd have to recall my specific
> situation in order to discuss it further...
>
> In any case, there would obviously be code later that would say
> something like:
>
> if packed-field numeric
>     perform handle-numeric
> else
>     perform handle-other
> end-if
>
> Frank

Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a non-value? In
my view, a better way is a specific value way outside the value's range. For
example, sales-year-to-date for a new customer could be initialized
to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100 feet of
pipe sticking up in the air).

In this way, you substitute one I-know-the-secret for a different
I-know-the-secret.

0
nospam312 (645)
8/19/2004 4:51:59 PM
Frank Swarbrick wrote:
> Having a packed decimal field (or even a numeric USAGE DISPLAY field) set to
> low-values can be useful when you want to differentiate between a field that
> has a value of zero and a field that has 'no value'.
>
> To be honest, I can't recall offhand a specific situation where I used this,
> but I seem to recall at least having done so.  Justifiably?  Perhaps not,
> but I'd have to recall my specific situation in order to discuss it
> further...
>
> In any case, there would obviously be code later that would say something
> like:
>
> if packed-field numeric
>     perform handle-numeric
> else
>     perform handle-other
> end-if
>
> Frank

>>Hello
>>
>>I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol
>>
>>eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I don
>>populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't b
>>zero. how do I do that in COBOL
>>
>>please hel
>>posted via MFF :  http://www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway
>

> Since you posted this from MainFrameForum I will assume you are on
> an IBM mainframe. Are you sure you know what you're doing?
> COMP-3 is PACKED-DECIMAL and I assume by nulls you mean binary zeros?
> Moving binary zeros would create an invalid packed field.
> Can you say S0C7?
>
> Anyway, here you go:
>
>   05 store-id pic S99999V comp-3.
>   05 store-id-x redefines
>      store-id pic x(3).
>
>   move low-values to store-id-x.
>
> Don't blame me for abends.

This may help, but who knows.

Early days of computing.
Merging files.
Need something that will cause all data to pass as larger.

End of Idea.

Warren Simmons
0
wsimmons5 (172)
8/20/2004 1:10:26 AM
JerryMouse <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:

: Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a non-value? In
: my view, a better way is a specific value way outside the value's range. For
: example, sales-year-to-date for a new customer could be initialized
: to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100 feet of
: pipe sticking up in the air).

In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.

0
weberm (66)
8/20/2004 8:02:38 PM
However, a date in ddmmyyyy can be used in arithmetic.

Robert Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:53:46 -0500, "JerryMouse" <nospam@bisusa.com>
> wrote:
>

>>If you can't do arithmetic on the value, it's not a number
>>and shouldn't be defined as one.
>

> Well said. For this reason, dates are not numeric.

0
ittool (1)
8/20/2004 9:22:43 PM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:02:38 UTC, weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
wrote:

> JerryMouse <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:
>
> : Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a non-value? In
> : my view, a better way is a specific value way outside the value's range. For
> : example, sales-year-to-date for a new customer could be initialized
> : to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100 feet of
> : pipe sticking up in the air).
>
> In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
> I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.

Not when it is a numeric field and you want to know if it has been
set. zero is a valid number and a zero in the field can be a valid
entry (depending on the application, of course)

--
Lorne Sunley
0
Ubiquitous wrote:
> JerryMouse <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a
>> non-value? In my view, a better way is a specific value way outside
>> the value's range. For example, sales-year-to-date for a new
>> customer could be initialized
>> to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100
>> feet of pipe sticking up in the air).
>
> In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
> I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.

1. And where zero is a valid value? (HOURS-OVERTIME, QUAN-ON-HAND, etc.)

2. If there were no need for a NULL, LOW-VALUES would not be part of the
language construct (I know, I know: LOW-VALUES is but the smallest value in
the collating sequence).

0
nospam312 (645)
8/21/2004 12:23:11 AM
On 20-Aug-2004, "Lorne Sunley" <lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
> > I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.
> >

> Not when it is a numeric field and you want to know if it has been
> set. zero is a valid number and a zero in the field can be a valid
> entry (depending on the application, of course)

But the question remains - how are you using this null field?   Some program
must read this field and determine it is null.   As with any programming
problem, we should determine how a field is used before determining how to
create it.
0
howard (6283)
8/24/2004 5:03:23 PM
On 20-Aug-2004, Lowell Young <ittool@comcast.net> wrote:

> However, a date in ddmmyyyy can be used in arithmetic.
>
> > Well said. For this reason, dates are not numeric.

What kind of arithmetic would you use that date format in?
0
howard (6283)
8/24/2004 5:04:26 PM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:59:41 GMT, "Lorne Sunley"
<lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:02:38 UTC, weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
>wrote:
>
>> JerryMouse <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:
>>
>> : Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a non-value? In
>> : my view, a better way is a specific value way outside the value's range. For
>> : example, sales-year-to-date for a new customer could be initialized
>> : to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100 feet of
>> : pipe sticking up in the air).
>>
>> In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
>> I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.
>>

>Not when it is a numeric field and you want to know if it has been
>set. zero is a valid number and a zero in the field can be a valid
>entry (depending on the application, of course)
You can do it the way SQL doess it on Tandem. make the element a
group-item, consissting of an indicator and a VALU.
      03 STORE-ID.
           05 INDICATOR    PIC  S9(01).
           05 VALU               PIC X(3).

And if you want it to represent null, you move -1 to the indicator
..

0
nobody137 (2)
8/24/2004 6:58:05 PM
Come on you guys. All these excuses trying to find some reason that
nulls in a packed field can be used for something. Well, okay
I guess you can program around it and make it work. But this
is just grandstanding in my opinion: "Look, I can think up a way bad
data in a field can be used to mean something". BALONY. I still say
putting meaningful data in field where that data is invalid by the
definition of the field is bad programming. Low-values in a
packed-decimal field is a S0C7 waiting to happen. Set a flag or something.

Check the archives.

See long (and useless) discussion on dates, arithmetic's, and numeric
definitions.

BELIEVE ME, you don't want to revisit this!!!

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

> On 20-Aug-2004, Lowell Young <ittool@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > However, a date in ddmmyyyy can be used in arithmetic.
> >
> > > Well said. For this reason, dates are not numeric.
>
> What kind of arithmetic would you use that date format in?

0
wmklein (2605)
8/24/2004 11:30:38 PM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:58:05 UTC, tom <nobody@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:59:41 GMT, "Lorne Sunley"
> <lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:02:38 UTC, weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
> >wrote:
> >
> >> JerryMouse <nospam@bisusa.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> : Sure. If zero is a permissable value, how do you distinguish a non-value? In
> >> : my view, a better way is a specific value way outside the value's range. For
> >> : example, sales-year-to-date for a new customer could be initialized
> >> : to -99999.99 or depth-of-well could be -100 (that is, there are 100 feet of
> >> : pipe sticking up in the air).
> >>
> >> In COBOL, is there really a need for NULL?
> >> I mean, it seems to me that initializing to zeros would suffice.
> >>

> >Not when it is a numeric field and you want to know if it has been
> >set. zero is a valid number and a zero in the field can be a valid
> >entry (depending on the application, of course)
> You can do it the way SQL doess it on Tandem. make the element a
> group-item, consissting of an indicator and a VALU.
>       03 STORE-ID.
>            05 INDICATOR    PIC  S9(01).
>            05 VALU               PIC X(3).
>
> And if you want it to represent null, you move -1 to the indicator
> .

That's the way you do it with SQL using DB2 and most other SQL
database engines.

SQL Syntax is

Select
datafield null-indicator,
moredata more-null
from whatever

Unfortunately if you are not using a database engine, then you should
design your data storage to have null indicator fields for every data
item that can be NULL (not specified). Using low-values in a data
field is a hack that is usually done when you did not design the data
storage layout properly.

--
Lorne Sunley
0
<NoMoreSpam@SpamStopper.Org> wrote:

>Come on you guys. All these excuses trying to find some reason that
>nulls in a packed field can be used for something. Well, okay
>I guess you can program around it and make it work. But this
>is just grandstanding in my opinion: "Look, I can think up a way bad
>data in a field can be used to mean something". BALONY. I still say
>putting meaningful data in field where that data is invalid by the
>definition of the field is bad programming. Low-values in a
>packed-decimal field is a S0C7 waiting to happen. Set a flag or something.

I concur. Strongly-typed languages do not allow this. Weakly-typed
languages, such as Cobol, rely on the programmer's good will and
cooperation. When the programmer deliberately violates that trust, he
or she is acting irresponsibly.

Telling the compiler a field is numeric and then deliberately writing
non-numeric values is self-contradiction.

If one must distinguish between zero and 'virgin', initialize numbers
to -9999999 and dates to '1600-01-01'.
0
robert6624 (636)

Cobol (Move field using <corresponding> syntax) question
Hi, I had a question and appreciate someone out there could help advise. Thanks in advance :-) Actually, need to process an input file, extract the full record(based on condition) and output it to a flat file. However, for all PACKED input field, need to output as ALHANUMERIC into the output file. As the input file has a lot of fields, I was wondering if there is a way in which we can move the all the input file fields to the output files without having to use the syntax <MOVE> to move each of the input field to the output field. Heard that there is a syntax which can do that. It...

Null fields
I have an Access 2000 database that has a table 'tblCourse' and a table 'tblRegistration'. They are linked via a Primary key 'CourseID' in 'tblCourse' to a foreign key 'CourseID' in the tblRegistration, this is a one to many relationship. The Primary key in the tblRegistration is RegistrationID. When I construct a query that has 'CourseID' and then e.g. "CountRegistrationID: IIf(IsNull(Count([tblRegistration].[RegistrationID]),0, Count([tblRegistration].[RegistrationID]))" as the two fields, it will not include the courses that have n...

When is null not null?
I'm puzzled by the results of some queries. I have a table called "people" which includes, among others, these columns: userid varchar(20) NOT NULL default '' formal_name varchar(50) default NULL The query select userid, formal_name from people where formal_name is null produces a response with 78 rows. The query select userid, formal_name from people where formal_name = "" returns 142 rows. The two sets are distinct. Then select userid, formal_name from people where (formal_name is null or formal_name = "") returns 220 rows. 220 = 78+...

Question on Cobol Move statement
18 year cobol veteran here. Stumped trying to come up with a technical explanation on this one. I know why this is happening but I can't explain it to the higher ups because I can't explain it to myself. 05 WS-PROP-PREMISE PIC X(04). 05 WS-FORMAT-4 PIC ZZZ9. WS-PROP-PREMISE has a value of 3. That is 3 followed by 3 spaces. The code MOVE WS-PROP-PREMISE to WS-FORMAT-4 results in 3000 Why? When the sending field has 0003 we get 3 in the result. This is what we are expecting from the sending system. Now they are 'sometimes' sendin...

set new field to value in first non-null field
Gang - Can someone help with this seemingly simple task. If we we're dealing with numeric data, the MAX function would be appropriate, but I'm working with character data. Data looks like this: ("V" stands for variable) V1 V2 V3 V4 .. . . x x . . . .. x . . final data set v3 v1 v2 Ultimately, I want to create 1 variable containg the name of the field that had the "x" in it. Mike Thank you Very Much! On Jul 12, 9:04=A0am, Takeadoe <mtonkov...@msn.com> wrote: > Gang - Can someone help with this seemingly simple ta...

Moving text from alpha fields to memo/formatted memo field
Hi I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments. Now I would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field. How? I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters and separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo fields, only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is only 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little. You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too. Thanks and greetings ...

A way to "hide" or not display a field when entire field is null
I'm building my own crosstab table. If a crosstab field has no data in the entire field (as a result of filtering), I don't want to show that field. Is there a way to do this in a qry or frm object? I'd use a pivot, but PT are too slow, and they sometimes crash with amount of data (rows and columns) I'm talking about ..or I get an exceeds capacity error message. Thanks Jerry In a data sheet view, set the column names blank, then auto fit the columns. This sample also shows how to hide some named fields. In data sheet view, hidden columns are just columns with width 0. Sett...

Problem with a null field
........ SUM(Amount1) +B.Amount2 as TOTAL ........ TOTAL is zero whenever the Dataset field Amount2 is NULL. Setting the field to zero prior to the query, remedies the problem. Is there a way to get around the problem beside checking all of the null fields ? "Stark" <franco.jommi@tin.it> wrote in message news:Dfz4d.295062$OR2.13423559@news3.tin.it... > ....... SUM(Amount1) +B.Amount2 as TOTAL ........ > > TOTAL is zero whenever the Dataset field Amount2 is NULL. Setting the > field to zero prior to the query, remedies the problem. > Is there...

Nulling field in subform
I have 2 fields in a subform that I want to clear called [Date] - this works and [Session] - which doesn't . Session is populated by 4 choices from a combo box. All I want to do is clear the combo ready for reselection. Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Date] = "" Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Session] = "" Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform].[Date].SetFocus I also want to setfocus to [Date] in the subform. This doesn't work either. Any help would be genuinely appreciated Geoff "Geoff" <gfriar@freenetname.co.uk> wrote...

Subquery Fields Null
I am linking two queries in Access. One has data in several fields such as: Name, Year, Amount, CumTotal1, CumTotal2 where the cumulative total fields are two subqueries generating cumulative totals based on the Name, Year, and Amount (e.g. (select sum([Amount]) from Query1 as q1 where q1.name = query1.name and q1.year <= query1.year)). When I run Query1 the cumulative totals show up. However, when I inner join Query1 on Name to another query (this second query has been desinged to select only the names I want to use) the values from the two cumulative total fields show up blank. I'...

Count fields that are not null
Hello all, I have an Access 2003 database running on an XP network. I have a subform containing a 28 day roster - shift1 to shift28. I need to total the shifts for each employee and am unsure of how to do thid. Each record has 1 EmployeeNumber, 28 shift fields, and 1 shiftTotal field and 1 HoursTotal field. I investigated the Count function but I think this Counts on the basis of a field (Column) not a Record. Does anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem or am I on the wrong track altogether? Regards Kevin On Mar 19, 11:10 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au>...

Null address field
I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? TIA David B Hexham UK Set the "Can Shrink" property to Yes. -- Michael Hopwood (Phobos) "David B" <david@marleycotenospam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:bou5ta$e3$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below > the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. > Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? ...

COBOL FAQ *moved*
Because the Objectz site has had so many problems recently, I have gone ahead and MOVED the COBOL FAQ to the following location: http://home.comcast.net/~wmklein/FAQ/COBOLFAQ.htm I still have NOT done any (or much) "content" updating, but have checked (and corrected) many links. I *think* all existing links (but not email addresses) are currently valid. I will go ahead and (soon) update the automated message that gets sent every two weeks or so. I use Microsoft products for creating my web pages. These are NOTORIOUS for causing problems for any (and all) browsers other t...

Engineers moving to other fields
In the "Req: (Free) Embedded Platforms for Education" thread the Jonathon Kirwin had mentioned that some Computer Science undergrads considered accountancy before selecting CS but few Electronic Engineering students did. This got me thinking... One module on my degree (Computer Systems) was called something like "Engineering Practices" or similar and was essentially split between teaching basic accountancy such as balance sheets and the like and areas of law relevant to engineering such as patent, tort and basic contract law. The tutor mentioned that accountancy fi...

How to fixed and Moving data for move along moving picture
Hello,=20 I have some question to ask you. I have 2 picture that its have the = other data reference them. Then, I would like to fixed one picture and move= another to overlay it that I used Fixed=3DPicture1; and Moved=3DPicture2; = but the other data in other file that reference by them not move follow pic= ture. How should I do for fixed and move them follow the picture? Thanks. Aris Break ...

Moving fields around in a Form
Is there a way to just move the field values and not the field descriptions within a form in design view? I try to grab just those values and it takes the descriptions with it. Some field names are a bit long and are running into the values. I just want to move the values over a few grids so I can see the description. There has to be a way. Thanks On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:03:06 GMT, Mark wrote: > Is there a way to just move the field values and not the field descriptions > within a form in design view? I try to grab just those values and it takes > the descriptions with it. S...

RPG ILE with NULL fields
HI, My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting me to return them NULL fields via parameters. I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing, though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable. I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string... and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be NULL-capable... Thx Jack Jack wrote: > HI, ...

Concatenating null fields
I am trying to concatenate 5 fields into a another field in a tablue using an update query using sql. It works fine except when there is a null field. Then the result field is null too, even if there are valid strings in the fiedls after the null field. How can I avoid this and just have the null field be ignored and string be created. Thanks You must be using + to concatenate the fields. Use & instead. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Danny" <dannywork5@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ta1jd.36853$fF6.10988...

Axis problem
Hello, I try to invoke two methods that access to a field. The first sets the value of the variable. Then the second displays the value on the Tomcat console. But the problem is that the attribute IS null when I invoke the second method. I obtain the following output: [one] FOO [two] null Where is the mistake? Cheers, -Mat ===== Foo.jws ===== public class Foo { private String foo = null; public void one() { foo = "FOO"; System.err.println("[one] "+foo); } public void two() { System.err.println("[two] "+foo); } }...

Moving fields in View Hierarchy
Silly question, I created a view from a DialogPresenter class and am wanting to re-order the view objects for a preferred tab sequence however I am unable to move the view objects. All attempts to move the view objects by dragging them with the mouse displays a circle icon with a slash through it. What am I missing? Thanks! Scott Scott Gibson wrote: > Silly question, I created a view from a DialogPresenter class and am > wanting to re-order the view objects for a preferred tab sequence > however I am unable to move the view objects. All attempts to move > the vie...

How to force the curser not to move from a field
Dear reader, In the event after update there is a check on the value given by the user. If the check result gives a non conformity there is a message box which tells you there is something wrong. And there is a code instruction to fix the curser to the field Me.FieldName.SetFocus or DoCmd.GoToControl GoToField But in both cases the curser is not fixed to the field but moves to an other field. How to keep the curser on the field until the given data is correct? Thanks for any help. Kind regards, Simon "Simon" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> wrote in message news:49be62...

Problem with recordset with a Field being a Null
Using VB6 DAO MS Access. Here is my query that I can't seem to figure out. I want to exclude all fax_numbers that do not equal "MAT" and fax_number is not NULL and red_falg = false. Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * From PSUSA WHERE fax_number <> 'MAT' and fax_number <> "" and red_flag=false", dbOpenDynaset) Any help is much appreciate. Thanks, jt jt wrote: I have answered you question in comp.lang.basic.visual.misc, please cross-post instead of multi-posting. -- Olof Lagerkvist ICQ: 724451 Web page: http...

Form fields to same field
I have a form to be completed by a teacher. They are to input 30 grades on the form (along with teacher name, period number, etc). This will store all 30 grades in one field in my sql table. The multiple forms into one field has me baffled. I am a newbie but appreciate all the help! Thanks in advance. >I have a form to be completed by a teacher. They are to input 30 >grades on the form (along with teacher name, period number, etc). This >will store all 30 grades in one field in my sql table. Is that 1 grade each for 30 students? Better be sure you keep the order straight if so, a...

null and NULL: is there any difference?
Hello, What is the difference between null and NULL. Are x == null and x == NULL the same? The compiler is gcc 3.2. Thanks. RHNewBie <asdf@asdf.com> wrote: >Hello, >What is the difference between null and NULL. Are x == null and x == >NULL the same? The compiler is gcc 3.2. > NULL is defined as a null pointer constant by your implementation. null isn't required by the standard to be defined in an implementation. See c.l.c-faq section 5 http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html Regards Irrwahn -- Great minds run in great circles. On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, RHNew...

Web resources about - how do I move NULL into a field ? - comp.lang.cobol

Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field (computer science) , a smaller piece of data from a larger collection (e.g., database fields) Text is available under the Creative Commons ...

Breitbart: Reporter Michelle Fields 'manhandled' by Trump campaign manager resigns along with three others ...
Breitbart News reporters Michelle Fields, Jordan Schachtel, and editors Ben Shapiro, and Jarrett Stepman resigned from the conservative site ...

Young bull invades junior football field, chases players at Maryborough - The Courier-Mail Search Search ...
... Ryan Devenish, who was there to see his nephew play, told the Fraser Coast Chronicle he first thought a kangaroo had jumped on to the field. ...

Sally Field on Spider-Man films: Her hilarious frank admission
HOLLYWOOD legend Sally Field has never been afraid of speaking her mind.

Breitbart: Reporter Michelle Fields 'manhandled' by Trump campaign manager resigns along with three others ...
Breitbart News reporters Michelle Fields, Jordan Schachtel, and editors Ben Shapiro, and Jarrett Stepman resigned from the conservative site&nbsp;accused ...

Michelle Fields Quits Breitbart
Michelle Fields , the former Fox News contributor, has quit her job at Breitbart News following last week’s incident in which she accused Donald ...

Sally Field on diversity: ‘Thank god for African American men. We’re behind you’
Embed from Getty Images Sally Field is 70 years old. I know I should realize this based on how long she been working on television and film, ...

The Latest: St. Bonaventure women make it in tourney field
NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on Monday's women's NCAA Tournament selections (all times Eastern):

Trouble In Paradise: Michelle Fields And Ben Shapiro Resign From Breitbart
... to gaslight her, I figured she'd resign. But Shapiro? That was a surprise. Yet, that's what happened on Sunday. Buzzfeed reports : Fields ...

Breitbart’s Michelle Fields And Ben Shapiro Resign
Breitbart’s Michelle Fields And Ben Shapiro Resign