Other "web places" (especially for IBM COBOL "lurkers")

Particularly to IBM COBOL people (who may lurk here in comp.lang.cobol)

As someone who used to maintain the COBOL FAQ (but hasn't done updates in
several years) and as a follow-up to "IBM Mainframe people don't see many web
sites / groups to follow" sentiment in a recent post in comp.lang.cobol..

1) There is a  relatively new IBM site for all things *IBM* COBOL-ish.  Check
out the "IBM COBOL Cafe" at:
    http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/cobol
This is STRICTLY for IBM products.  Therefore, if you are using Compuware, CA,
SyncSort, or Micro Focus (for example) products for IBM COBOL development and
deployment, this is NOT the place to ask those questions. It does, however, seem
to cover all the IBM O/S (although I haven't seen VSE there yet <G>).

2) If you use Micro Focus either to develop mainframe production apps or to port
IBM COBOL to Windows or Linux/Unix, check out:
   http://forum.microfocus.com:8088/~Micro_Focus_Products/guests
There are different groups for different "targeted" uses of MF products.

3) If you have non-COBOL IBM mainframe questions (especially of the "systems
programmer" type or how to use utilities or whatever), checkout IBM-MAIN. You
can use google groups to read it, but to participate in it (most effectively)
you should register for the list-server.
 "For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
listserv@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html"
This list is NOT limited to IBM-only products.  There are often good questions
AND ANSWERS on things like SyncSort or Intertest or Endeavor.

 * * * * * *

For GENERAL (not-IBM specific) or cross-vendor COBOL questions, I do
(personally) find this the best group to follow / participate in.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein40 (279)
5/12/2009 6:20:30 PM
comp.lang.cobol 4278 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

William M. Klein wrote:
> Particularly to IBM COBOL people (who may lurk here in
> comp.lang.cobol)
> As someone who used to maintain the COBOL FAQ (but hasn't done
> updates in several years) and as a follow-up to "IBM Mainframe people
> don't see many web sites / groups to follow" sentiment in a recent
> post in comp.lang.cobol..
> 1) There is a  relatively new IBM site for all things *IBM*
> COBOL-ish.  Check out the "IBM COBOL Cafe" at:
>    http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/cobol
> This is STRICTLY for IBM products.  Therefore, if you are using
> Compuware, CA, SyncSort, or Micro Focus (for example) products for
> IBM COBOL development and deployment, this is NOT the place to ask
> those questions. It does, however, seem to cover all the IBM O/S
> (although I haven't seen VSE there yet <G>).
> 2) If you use Micro Focus either to develop mainframe production apps
> or to port IBM COBOL to Windows or Linux/Unix, check out:
>   http://forum.microfocus.com:8088/~Micro_Focus_Products/guests
> There are different groups for different "targeted" uses of MF
> products.
> 3) If you have non-COBOL IBM mainframe questions (especially of the
> "systems programmer" type or how to use utilities or whatever),
> checkout IBM-MAIN. You can use google groups to read it, but to
> participate in it (most effectively) you should register for the
> list-server. "For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access
> instructions, send email to listserv@bama.ua.edu with the message:
> GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
> http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html"
> This list is NOT limited to IBM-only products.  There are often good
> questions AND ANSWERS on things like SyncSort or Intertest or
> Endeavor.
> * * * * * *
>
> For GENERAL (not-IBM specific) or cross-vendor COBOL questions, I do
> (personally) find this the best group to follow / participate in.

And remember that participation in groups and forums is NOT mutually
exclusive. You can monitor and participate in a number of forums.

Pete.

dashwood (4370)
5/13/2009 2:20:26 AM
William M. Klein wrote:
> Particularly to IBM COBOL people (who may lurk here in comp.lang.cobol)
>
> As someone who used to maintain the COBOL FAQ (but hasn't done updates in
> several years) and as a follow-up to "IBM Mainframe people don't see many web
> sites / groups to follow" sentiment in a recent post in comp.lang.cobol..
>
> 1) There is a  relatively new IBM site for all things *IBM* COBOL-ish.  Check
> out the "IBM COBOL Cafe" at:
>     http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/cobol

A few days ago I received an email from one of the founders of the above
  site, asking permission to link to a webpage of mine.  You would look
for resources and then articles.  I'm somewhere on the following page:
http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3024

http://arnold.trembley.home.att.net/
> William M. Klein wrote:
> A few days ago I received an email from one of the founders of the above
>  site, asking permission to link to a webpage of mine.  You would look
> for resources and then articles.  I'm somewhere on the following page:
> http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3024

mr. klein.

i looked all over and couldn't find your link.  don't need it anyway....

sss
0
Sam198 (35)
5/14/2009 7:18:57 AM
It was Arnold's link and not mine.  Try to open up
   http://home.att.net/~arnold.trembley/cob-rte.htm

Arnold,
  If you do (ever) update this, a couple of things you might want to
include/update:

1) If you have VB QSAM files, make certain that you use the AWO compiler option.
(It never hurts and can sometimes make SIGNIFICANT performance improvements)

2) Add a suggesting to make certain that they use FASTSRT if they have any
internal SORT (or MERGE) statements.  It won't help for any that use only
INPUT/OUTPUT procedures (no USING/GIVING) but it won't hurt - even then.

3) In the section on TRUNC(OPT) (vs TRUNC(BIN)) you can mention that the use of
TRUNC(OPT) with a few specific fields defined with COMP-5 will allow you to
"communicate" with programs/facilities that don't truncate to the picture clause
for binary fields - while still having the best possible binary performance in
most cases.

4) If you update your paper and want to keep the reference to my FAQ, please
feel free to indicate that it is out-of-date (or take out the reference
completely).

5) You may want to put in a specific link to the Enterprise COBOL performance
paper.  It is (a little) out-of-date but is certainly something that anyone
interested in run-time performance should read.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"SeaSideSam" <sam@sea.side> wrote in message

>> William M. Klein wrote:
>> A few days ago I received an email from one of the founders of the above
>> site, asking permission to link to a webpage of mine.  You would look for
>> resources and then articles.  I'm somewhere on the following page:
>> http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3024
>>

> mr. klein.
>
> i looked all over and couldn't find your link.  don't need it anyway....
>

> sss

0
wmklein40 (279)
5/14/2009 10:29:51 AM
William M. Klein wrote:
> It was Arnold's link and not mine.  Try to open up
>    http://home.att.net/~arnold.trembley/cob-rte.htm
>
> Arnold,
>   If you do (ever) update this, a couple of things you might want to
> include/update:
>
> 1) If you have VB QSAM files, make certain that you use the AWO compiler option.
> (It never hurts and can sometimes make SIGNIFICANT performance improvements)
>
> 2) Add a suggesting to make certain that they use FASTSRT if they have any
> internal SORT (or MERGE) statements.  It won't help for any that use only
> INPUT/OUTPUT procedures (no USING/GIVING) but it won't hurt - even then.
>
> 3) In the section on TRUNC(OPT) (vs TRUNC(BIN)) you can mention that the use of
> TRUNC(OPT) with a few specific fields defined with COMP-5 will allow you to
> "communicate" with programs/facilities that don't truncate to the picture clause
> for binary fields - while still having the best possible binary performance in
> most cases.
>
> 4) If you update your paper and want to keep the reference to my FAQ, please
> feel free to indicate that it is out-of-date (or take out the reference
> completely).
>
> 5) You may want to put in a specific link to the Enterprise COBOL performance
> paper.  It is (a little) out-of-date but is certainly something that anyone
> interested in run-time performance should read.

Bill, thanks for the tips!  I will try to incorporate your comments (and
credit you with suggesting them) sometime in the next week or so.

I always liked your COBOL FAQ.  If someone wanted to take up where you
left off, it would be a very good place to start.

With kindest regards,

--
http://arnold.trembley.home.att.net/