what is the status of oo cobol?

What is the status of OO cobol in Europe, US and the rest of the
world? Are there any big companies using it and if so, where? What is
the experience with using OO cobol? Can cobol really be combined with
an OO approach? Why would someone choose to use OO cobol and why would
they choose not to use it? Are there any inherent advantages or
disadvantages to OO cobol? Is there a future for OO cobol?
comp.lang.cobol 4235 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

These are such good questions I felt compelled to respond...
"oeij" <huitheng.oeij@cgey.nl> wrote in message
> What is the status of OO cobol in Europe, US and the rest of the
> world?

It is available in non-ratified versions (pre-releases that do not conform
to the ANSI Standard) from MicroFocus and Fujitsu (and possibly others that
I haven't checked out). IBM appear to have dropped support for it (Bill, can
you tell us what their current thinking is?).

The latest COBOL standard includes OO. Nobody has actually implemented it
yet. (Personally, I couldn't care less about the Standard and have been
using OO for around 3 years, but not everybody will share my view on this.)

> Are there any big companies using it and if so, where?

I know of none. There were some projects on a mainframe site in Germany some
time ago. No idea what happened to them.

> What is
> the experience with using OO cobol?

My personal experience has been excellent. I use the Fujitsu implementation
and find it superb. They also have a "Quick Build" GUI tool that uses OO
"under the covers" (PowerCOBOL). I have built several  live Windows
applications with this and it is excellent.

>Can cobol really be combined with
> an OO approach?

Yes, but it is a "bolt on" to COBOL. (Nevertheless, it is a beautiful job of
software engineering). COBOL can certainly be combined with OO concepts. It
makes sense to write Business Methods in COBOL. All of the things you would
expect (inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism, interfacing, overloading,
etc.) can be implemented for COBOL classes just as any other classes.

>Why would someone choose to use OO cobol and why would
> they choose not to use it?

I chose to use it  mainly because I am committed to component based
development. I realised some years ago that components lend themselves to
more radical development approaches. Having tried several pilot projects it
became apparent that the ability to provide  reusable encapsulated
functionality to the business, designed and developed in conjunction with
the business, using interaction and iteration rather than the traditional
"waterfall", is a winning strategy for system development.

While you COULD implement this same strategy without OO, it is better if you
use OO.

I need OO to write components. Business components are best written in
COBOL. I happen to believe in a "building block" approach to system
development and OO supports this better than traditional development
methodologies. I could (and do...) use Java but there is no substitute for
COBOL when it comes to business data processing. For me, one of the major
benefits is that my COBOL components can be combined with components written
in other languages (the source is irrelevant), maybe provided by third
parties, and they can all play nicely together in the same playground. (And
that playground can be the Windows desktop or the Internet... Web Enablement
is a fringe benefit of using the component approach. Components plug easily
into Web Pages) With the advent of .NET more people are likely to realise
the advantages of this approach.

I would not use OO for Batch Processing.

> Are there any inherent advantages or
> disadvantages to OO cobol?

The advantages are the same as for any OO Language. (the traditional
strengths of COBOL for processing now become available in an OO
environment.)

It is interesting that one of the great strengths of COBOL (ease of
maintenance) is no longer relevant in the OO environment; this is because OO
Methods tend to be small and encapsulated, and components are not maintained
like traditional "integrated" COBOL programs that do "everything".

The disadvantages are that your COBOL Classes can't be called easily from
other languages (they can if you wrap them as components, and that is what I
do...), and the coding required is more than for Java or C++. (well, it IS
COBOL...you expect to write a bit more...<G>)

>Is there a future for OO cobol?

In a word, "No."

But then, the future is often what you make it.

Object Oriented programming is probably the most significant breakthrough in
the art of programming that has happened in the last 30 years (since
Djykstra's famous paper which formed the foundation for Structured
Programming). Most of the Programming community realises this, but COBOL
people (in general) don't.

(Some do, but feel it would be impossible to introduce anything OO COBOL on
the sites where they work. (sadly, they are right.) ).

I am at a loss to explain why OO has been so fiercely resisted (although
some recent discussions here in CLC have shed some light on it)

Adopting an OO approach (irrespective of OO COBOL) requires severe change in
the whole approach to system development. Young companies with no entrenched
"fortress" can make this adjustment much more easily than companies that
have been processing with COBOL for 20 years or more.

OO COBOL, in my opinion, is the best thing that has ever happened to COBOL
(and I have been writing COBOL since 1967).

The vendors have realised that if COBOL is to survive in the modern
marketplace it must be able to join the others in the playground.

Unfortunately, the parents won't give their permission and COBOL is confined
to the back yard, forlornly kicking the ball at the fence as it has always
done, while the others are racing up and down playing soccer on the field
next door.

At the moment the gate is barred. Whether it will stay that way remains to
be seen.

Some of us sneak out through a hole in the fence and play on the big field,
but we are a very small minority and certainly not enough to make our own
team and challenge the rest to a proper game.

Pete.

0
dashwood1 (2140)
7/31/2003 11:11:50 PM
Sorry - yes, that was supposed to be "NOW focused on Java interoperability".

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"Harley" <dennis.harleyNoSpam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Is that a typo: "NOT focused on "Java interoperability" or "NOW focused on
> "Java interoperability"".
>
> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> | IBM dropped support for their previous "SOM-based" OO approach (for
> | mainframe OO COBOL) and is not focused on "Java interoperability".  They
> | certainly have NOT indicated when/if they will ever provide a 2002 ISO
> | conforming OO implementation, but as far as I know, only Micro Focus has
> | done this.  (Siemens/Fujitsu MAY have  or may be on the way to doing
so).

> | --
> | Bill Klein
> |  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
> | "Harley" <dennis.harleyNoSpam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> | >
> | > "Peter E.C. Dashwood" <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> wrote in message
> | > |
> | conform
> | > that
> (Bill,
> | > can
> | >
> | > <<snip>>
> | >
> | > I hope that you're wrong about IBM dropping support.
> | >
> | > I looked at what I think is the latest compiler:
> | >
> | > Enterprise COBOL for z/OS and OS/390
> | > Language Reference
> | > Version 3 Release 2
> | >
> | > It seems to still have OO.
> | >
> | > FROM THE MANUAL
> | >
> | > COBOL class definition structure
> | > Enterprise COBOL provides object-oriented syntax to facilitate
> | > interoperation of
> | > COBOL and Java programs.
> | > You can use Enterprise COBOL object-oriented syntax to:
> | >  Define classes, with methods and data implemented in COBOL.
> | >  Create instances of Java or COBOL classes.
> | >  Invoke methods on Java or COBOL objects.
> | >  Write classes that inherit from Java classes or from other COBOL
> | classes.
> | >  Define and invoke overloaded methods.
> | > Basic Java-oriented object capabilities are accessed directly through
> | COBOL
> | > language. Additional capabilities are available to the COBOL
programmer
> by
> | > calling services through the Java Native Interface (JNI), as described
> in
> | > the
> | > Enterprise COBOL Programming Guide.
> | >
> | > METHOD-ID paragraph
> | > The METHOD-ID paragraph specifies the name by which a method is known
> and
> | > assigns selected attributes to that method. The METHOD-ID paragraph is
> | > required
> | > and must be the first paragraph in a method Identification Division.
> | > method-name-1
> | > An alphanumeric literal or national literal that contains the name of
> the
> | > method. The name must conform to the rules of formation for a Java
> method
> | > name. Method names are used directly, without translation. The method
> | > name is processed in a case-sensitive manner.

0
wmklein (2605)

SPAWN exit status different from shell exit status.
Hello, I'm trying to run a compiled executable within IDL. When I run the exe in a regular shell I get the following: $ myexe Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference. Backtrace for this error: #0 0x7FD97E7ADA77 #1 0x7FD97E7AE07E #2 0x3000C3299F #3 0x45EBBB in sub1_ #4 0x47688D in sub2_ #5 0x409A9F in sub3_ #6 0x42BABA in MAIN__ at myprog.f90:0 Segmentation fault (core dumped) If I inspect the exit value I see: $ echo $? 139 Now, if I do the same thing inside an IDL SPAWN command I get the following: I...

Microfocus Object Cobol v 4.0.32 Shared Runtime Setting
I want to know what files of runtime are necessary to Run a Cobol program compiled with the Microfocus Object Cobol v 4.0.32. Best regards, Massimo. On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:06:12 UTC, "Massimo Morgia" <blue_max_53@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to know what files of runtime are necessary to Run a Cobol program > compiled with the Microfocus Object Cobol v 4.0.32. > Best regards, > Massimo. > > It depends on how the program is distributed and what features it is using. The minimum is coblib.dll, but if the program is dstributed as 'GNT' mod...

How do I set a status flag in a FOR loop?
I have a FOR loop inside of a WHILE loop. If, during any iteration of the FOR loop, a certain condition is true, I'd like to set a flag that would tell the WHILE loop to execute again (after the FOR loop has completed). I've tried a number of CASE and SELECT techniques, but the flag value could change on subsequent iterations of said FOR loop. Should I be looking at shift registers? Local variables? Something else? Regards, emonk ...

Status:500 message
Getting the following error in a browser connected to a FlashCONNECT application, randomly: Status:500 Sorry, but that FlashCONNECT server is not available at this time. Anyone got any idea what might be happening here?? Running D3/Linux 7.5.0, FC version 3.7.0. Thanks in advance, Mark Wright Eastex Crude Company Hi Mark, If it is only happening randomly, then you are probably exceeding your D3 user limit or the load on your web server is exceeding the number of available flashconnect ports. It is also possible that one of your programs is hanging and tying up a por...

FileMaker Server 7, Filemaker Developer v7 WinALL Mac, IBM VISUALAGE FOR COBOL V3.0.6, Fujitsu NetCOBOL Suite v7.0L10 Enter. Edition, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048, Clarion.v6.0.Enter
FileMaker Server 7, Filemaker Developer v7 WinALL Mac, IBM VISUALAGE FOR COBOL V3.0.6, Fujitsu NetCOBOL Suite v7.0L10 Enter. Edition, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048, Clarion.v6.0.Enterprise.Edition.Incl, Capesoft.NetTalk.for.clarion.6.v3.04.Retail.WinAll, MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO NET PROFESSIONAL 2003, MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other ... FileMaker Server 7 ...

current scripting status
As a newbie or novice, what is the preferred scripting approach, for Gimp ? Is Scheme and Script-Fu more native or developed ? Is Python and Python-FU popular ? Mature ? Are the Script-FU and Python-FU consoles the only or best approach here ? Or, on a Linux platform, do users ever edit Scheme scripts in Emacs, save to a Gimp script directory and then call the saved script via Xtns or a browser ? Am just confirming the preferred approach for serious scripting here. All comments welcome. .. If you can do a little scripting already, Id suggest usin...

OO Software Project Entropy Question.
Hi folks - I'm just doing some research on the subject of Software Project Entropy (in OO development) and have some questions. This is part of the subject area of Chaos Theory in Software Project Management that I was doing some work on many years ago - so holds some level of interest for me. Background [context] Software Project Entropy often occurs when the rate of 'work' is high but nothing is being produced. When this occurs at the extreme level - the software project stalls - often resulting in a failed project. One of the reasons [the one I want to focus on here] is t...

read COBOL index file with perl
I need to parse a COBOL index file using a perl script. I don't know _that_ much about COBOL but it seems the index file is written in some kind of binary format, its not ASCII, thats for sure! Has this been done before? Is there an existing library I can use for this? failing that... Does anyone know how COBOL writes its index files and how I could go about parsing them with perl? Or is there a simple way to read and parse binary style data? Gabkin wrote: > I need to parse a COBOL index file using a perl script. > I don't know _that_ much about COBOL but it seems the index...

Status of an iolist variable after READ error
What does the standard say about the status of an iolist variable if an error condition occurs during a READ? For example, k=1; read(1,*,iolist=i) k If i/=0, must k==1 or does it become "undefined"? Al Greynolds Oops! Obviously I meant to type "iostat" not "iolist" in the read statement. awgreynolds@earthlink.net wrote: > What does the standard say about the status of an iolist variable if an > error condition occurs during a READ? For example, > > k=1; read(1,*,iolist=i) k > > If i/=0, must k==1 or does it become "undefined&qu...

OO and relation "impedance mismatch"
OO people often claims that there are an impedance mismatch between the OO model and the relational model, that makes it very hard use a relational database when you are using an OO programming language. I am wondering if "relational" people at this forum feel the same thing, that it is hard to use a OO language when you are using a relational database? /Fredrik On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 04:00:13 -0700, Fredrik Bertilsson wrote: > OO people often claims that there are an impedance mismatch between > the OO model and the relational model, that makes it very hard use a &...

Enterprise Cobol 3.4: How compile all members of a PDS in one step??
Hi The Enterprise XLC/C++ compiler is able to compile all members of a PDS in only one step and I did not found the equivalent functionality for Enterprise Cobol. Anybody aware of this point?? May be could it become a extension request to IBM?? zosrothko If you are a SHARE member, then you could submit this as a SHARE requirement. HOWEVER, I doubt that this would get much support. It would be relatively easy to create a CLIST or REXX to do this. Some of the source management systems (e.g. Endeavor or SCLM) may already have this functionality - I don't know. However, do this sho...

Printer Status Status Commands
Hi, Our goal is to develop a system that will be able to work with almost all existing Point of sale (POS) printers designed to be connected to the rs232 serial port of a cash register. We know the escape sequences used for line feed, carriage return, characters formatting, paper cutting... might be defined specifically for each model of printer and we can live with that. What about the status command sequences? I read the programming manuals of two different models (Epson TM-T90 and Axiohm TPOS Printer Series). Both are using the same sequences (&H10 &H04 and 1,2,3 or 4 de...

COBOL FAQ #47
Archive-name: computer-lang/cobol-faq Posting-Frequency: twice a month Last-modified: 2004/10/27 Version: 3.03 URL: http://objectz.com/faqs/cobolfaq.htm Maintainer: wmklein@ix.netcom.com (William M Klein) COBOL FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Last-Modified: Spring 2002 The full (somewhat out-of-date) COBOL FAQ can be viewed at: http://objectz.com/faqs/cobolfaq.htm > If you have comments, corrects, deletions, or additions, please send private email to: wmklein <at> ix.netcom...

Searching OO Associations with RDBMS Persistence Models
Hi all, What is the best way to implement the following search Give me all companies that start with "Micro" in Seattle, Washington Class Diagram Below (The DB Diagram is also the same, where Location has a companyID referencing a Company) +---------+ | Company | +---------+ |1 | |1..* +----------+ | Location | +----------+ "Company is located at location X. Company has at least one location." "Location belongs to Company X" The company class implements the association through Class Company { String companyName; Set locations; public voi...

(619) US-CA-San Diego: C++, OO Developer (39574)
********************************************************************** This job posting is brought to you by ISHUNTER.COM, offering computer jobs for programmers, engineers, systems analysts, network administrators and other high technology professionals. Search over 3,000 IS/IT jobs in the United States by clicking on http://www.ISHunter.com ********************************************************************** Title ...... C++, OO Developer Skills ..... C++, Object Oriented Analysis/Design, UML, Rational Rose, Clearcase, Tornado IDE Location ... San Diego, CA Area...

Ethernet interface status detection
Hi all, Thoughts on a clean and efficient way to do this would be appreciated thanks. We have an issue where our linux gateway resets each night. However, last night the ISP did not hand out a IP address or some other crucial part of information. As such during the reboot the eth<X> did not come back up. We had to wait until a good point to reset it, as it also provides NAT access between arious networks. What would you all recommend running on say a cron job (open to suggestions), to detect if an interface is not correctly connected to the internet, so that if could be brought down an...

Using Cobol when writing CGI's for the OSU web server.
Hi. The "docs" that comes with the OSU web server kit has examples files for C, Java, Perl and I think also Fortran in the latest kit. Now, does anyone see any particular reason why one shouldn't be able to use Cobol against the CGI API's ? I'm evaluating adding a few simple web "statistics" pages to an factory control system where the bulk of the logic in the applications are in Cobol using VT-interfaces (through a form management tool I've forgotted the name of, but is was not FMS or TDMS at least...) The plan is to keep the bulk program logic in Cobol ...

c++, cobol, java know more
http://computer-language-tutorials.blogspot.com http://computer-language-tutorials.blogspot.com ...

Images and OO #2
Hello, I am writing a very simple programs which displays a different coloured target depending on what colour has been selected (using a combo box). I have an abstract class called Target and three classes called GreenTarget, RedTarget and YellowTarget which all extend Target. Each subclass has a method called getColourIndex which returns an integer relating to the correct coloured target to load in the images array. To select the colour and return the correct subclass, I have used the following code. class Test extends Panel implements ActionListener { String colour; Choi...

US-TX-San Antonio: Sr. Web Developer, OO programming, C#, XML/SOAP, COM+; Perm (45293657613)
US-TX-San Antonio: Sr. Web Developer, OO programming, C#, XML/SOAP, COM+; Perm (45293657613) ============================================================================================= Position: Sr. Web Developer Reference: SMC01256 Location: San Antonio TX Duration: Perm Skills: 3 + years Object Oriented programming and extensive experience in an E_commerce environment. Proven working knowledge of business systems with emphasis on system development. Strong knowledge of C#, XML/SOAP, COM+, ASP/ASP.NE...

Re: PROCINFO (for all Cobol gurus out there...) #4
Gang, I haven't been paying too much attention this but I'm pretty sure this stuff isn't stored except in the stack markers (or stack frames in NM).=20 I vaguely recall having to write some code to walk backwards one level to get the name of the guy who called me so I could log it. I remember I needed PM to be able to look at my stack marker, and then used something like FINDPMAPNAME to determine the name of the routine. Of course, I had to determine if the code segment as in my program or in another library. I suspect doing this for a native mode program would b...

how to kill a process with RW status
Hello all, is there any special way to deal with such processes? because i couldnt kill it with "kill pid" or "kill -9 pid" commands :( this process was created when i ran a simple C code to record some audio from mic and play back .. after the job is finished when i have tried to rerun my code it gave an error saying "device or resource busy" .. so iam trying to close this one. any help is appreciated. PS: could you please point me to appropriate group if its not the right one. thank you, venkata wrote: > this process was��created�whe...

How to make IBM COBOL send in text in Telnet mode?
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I may not be in the correct place, but here goes. I need to find a way for a Cobol program (on AS400) to send output through the Telnet port, as pure Telnet (character by character), not IBM block-mode. The Telnet communications will be tranlated via a IIS Web-Server to HTTP, and then on to a Browser. Basically, I have a methodology/technique, that if programmed into a text-serving source code (for example: C, Basic, COBOL, on a Win PC), it will allow a Browser to be attached as the terminal, and provide a fully interactive graphical user interface. IBM A...

Status on book?
What is the status on a wxWidgets book? Ed ----------------------------- <>< Ed Peddycoart Lead Visual Systems Engineer Radiance Technologies, Inc. ----------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org At 17:22 01/03/2004, you wrote: >What is the status on a wxWidgets book? I'm working on it -- I'm abou...

Opening for Tandem/HP COBOL Programmer in Washington
Job Title: Senior Tandem Programmer (ITS 5) =20 Opening Date/Time: Wed. 02/05/14 12:00 AM Pacific Time =20 Salary: $5,010.00 - $6,575.00 Monthly =20 Job Type: Full Time - Permanent=20 Location: Thurston County - Olympia, Washington =20 Department: Washington's Lottery =20 1. Go to www.careers.wa.gov 2. Click Look for Jobs 3. Under Department, select Washington's Lottery 4. Click on Senior Tandem Programmer (ITS 5) 5. Click Apply OR You may apply by sending a current resume in chronological order AND a lett= er of interest that clearly conveys how your qualification...