[FSL] Additions to Forth Scientific Library

I'm very pleased to announce some additions to the Forth Scientific
Library at  http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/sciforth.html

David N. Williams' set of words for complex numbers and functions has been
added as Algorithm #60.  I strongly suggest that anyone writing code with
complex arithmetic follow his conventions and standards.  They provide a
clear and cohesive vocabulary, a good de-facto standard IMHO.

A file with code (by DNW) for testing complex numbers and functions has
also been added as an Auxiliary file.

Another addition to the set of Auxiliary files is an up-to-date version of
ttester.fs, which enables the testing of forth words and phrases.  It is
based on the Hayes suite, but has been substantially extended and can
handle systems with either a separate floating-point stack or a unified
stack.  It currently matches Anton Ertl's version at
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/cvsweb/cgi-bin/cvsweb/gforth/test/ttester.fs

The Library.tgz file has been rebuilt to include the new material.

regards to all   cgm
0
cgm (172)
5/20/2009 12:25:14 AM
comp.lang.forth 7148 articles. 0 followers. markrobertwills (871) is leader. Post Follow

forth in forth
I came across this in the archives: >The widely shared belief (among both Forthies >and outsiders) that every "real" Forth programmer hacks together >his own compiler/interpreter/programming environment also makes >the Forth community look frivolous or at best naive. Most people >who program for a living know that there are more useful ways to >spend their time than building their own programming environment -- >the key to productivity is leveraging off other peoples' work. HERESY in the Forth community! Imagine... NOT coming up with your own CASE statement or local variable implemetation? Use OTHER PEOPLES TOOLS? Yuccch! One thing you can count on in the Forth community... try to establish a standard ANYTHING, and all that will happen is others will come up with their own implementation, defeating the purpose of standardization. Why is this? I mean, I'm usually quite happy to program in other languages without building my own interpreter or compiler. For instance with Ruby, the only time I even considered it's implementation was when I was learning how it's class structure was organised, and that was only because some of my references talked about the internals. Now with Forth, it seems like every step along the way makes me think about writing my own implementation! A couple of months back I designed (in outline) a prototype based OOPS for forth, and before I could finish it I was planning how to write a ...

applications in forth or forth libraries
is there a archive of applications built in forth? something like cpan for perl? etc.? On Dec 2, 3:46=A0pm, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > is there a archive of applications built in forth? > > something like cpan for perl? etc.? Well, you'll find some things. Take a look at forthfreak.net to get the pointers. The main problem is that even "ANS compatible" Forths are not compatible at all if you add the mindset of the programmer to the standard. There are some classes of problems that are better solved by non-ANS extensions than with ANS. And almost every problem of some complexity involves such problems. So programmers that are used to one specific Forth system learn a domain specific way how to deal with such problems and sometimes they are (me too, indeed) surprised that a specific feature "is not ANS"... Perl has not that problem. You've one dominating implementation. Regards, -Helmar gavino wrote: > is there a archive of applications built in forth? > > something like cpan for perl? etc.? I think the vast majority of them are proprietary in nature, and hence not published. Cheers, Elizabeth -- ================================================== Elizabeth D. Rather (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH FORTH Inc. +1 310.999.6784 5959 West Century Blvd. Suite 700 Los Angeles, CA 90045 http://www.forth.com "Forth-based products and Services for real-time applications since 1973.&...

Forth Scientific Library
Amigos, I want to provide the URL of the FSL in my On-line Primer, but I can't seem to find www.taygeta.com/fsl/sciforth.html with my browser. What has happened to the links to FSL? -- Julian V. Noble Professor Emeritus of Physics http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/~jvn/ "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." --- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956) Julian V. Noble wrote: > > Amigos, I want to provide the URL of the FSL in my On-line Primer, > but I can't seem to find > > www.taygeta.com/fsl/sciforth.html > > with my browser. What has happened to the links to FSL? > Strange. I accessed it earlier today with no trouble, but now taygeta doesn't seem to be responding at all. I hope it's just temporarily off line. Meanwhile (sigh) I can provide any of the files needed by email. That is the correct address for the Primer. regards cgm This is a little off-topic, but have you or anyone published the RNG that you posted here 10 years ago? I would like to be able to link to a web page of it. Brad Eckert wrote: > This is a little off-topic, but have you or anyone published the RNG > that you posted here 10 years ago? I would like to be able to link to a >...

What happened to the Forth Scientific Library?
Hi, I just wanted to have a look at the FSL, but all the links to Taygeta don't work any more, e.g. http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/docs/fsl_arrays.html http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/Library.tgz http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/scilib.html All list: "Not found". Even the links on the sourceforge page are not up to date: http://forth.sourceforge.net/system/fsl/ There seems to be a FSL fork by CREWEB.ORG ftp://ccreweb.org/software/fsl/README But this one does not look complete. For example it is missing the bignum library 'big.fth', singular value ...

FORTH Poem by Julian Noble, inscribed into an old copy of Scientific Forth
I recently found a reasonably priced second-hand copy of Julian Noble's Scientific Forth on the Internet and have just received it in the post. To my delight, it has a lengthy inscription, hand-written, and signed by him, and dated 26 April 1992. I'm re-printing it here for the interest of other Forthers. There is one word (a name perhaps?) in the last verse that I'm not sure I can make out. I've put these in parentheses. If anyone can think of a different reading, please do suggest. (reposting -- corrected a couple of typos) - Assad To Abe, my once and future father-in-law ---------------------------------------- A Prayer for Forth ================== When I undertook a quixotic crusade On behalf of the FORTH tongue obscure I offered this book to the publishing trade - Who soon beat a path from my door! O FORTH, thy FORTHright endearing concision Thy power, thy speed that my book doth convey Are these but destined for scorn and derision, Doomed not to go FORTH into light of day? O FORTH doth thy star now wane in declension? Declare it a FALSEhood lest we wax too sad Pray, (Gresham), thy Law now hold in suspension That for once the Good may drive FORTH the Bad! Julian V. Noble 26 April 1992 inscribed in Scientific Forth, Mechum Banks Publishing, 1992 AKE wrote: > I recently found a reasonably priced second-hand copy of Julian Noble's Scientific Forth on the Internet and have just ...

& in A rationale for ARRAYs in the Forth Scientific Library
In "A rationale for ARRAYs in the Forth Scientific Library" http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/docs/fsl_arrays.html I found this phrase: & name{ #elements }malloc What does the character & indicate at the beginning of the line? In that document it is also used this way: a{ & b{ &! Is & a forth word? How about &! ? Michael Michael michael.kalus@onlinehome.de wrote: > In "A rationale for ARRAYs in the Forth Scientific Library" > http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/docs/fsl_arrays.html > I found this phrase: > > & name{ #elements }malloc > > What does the character & indicate at the beginning of the line? > In that document it is also used this way: > > a{ & b{ &! > > Is & a forth word? How about &! ? > > Michael The words & and &! are among those defined in the fsl-util files in the Auxiliary code provided with the Library: http://www.taygeta.com/fsl/scilib.html Unfortunately, these and a number of other FSL words are defined only by a particular implementation rather than fully specified, so other implementations may provide the same functionality differently. In other words, full phrases such as the ones you quote, have standard effects, while the individual words may behave differently. In any case, reading a fsl-util file along with "A rationale for arrays" is probably a practical necessity. Similarly, "A rationale for Structures" may ...

Forth Scientific Library: new submission for review
There is a new submission to the FSL by Hans Bezemer: a high accuracy gamma function using the Spouge method. It is quite compact. Reviewing should not be onerous. I anyone is willing to review this, please let me know by email. regards to all cgm ...

Forth is to program , Forth is NOT to study ..
Forth is to program , not to learn , nor study . Study is for students , Students dont eat well . They seek help and subsidy , and credencials .. all , far from productive programming . There is NO arguement , NO arguement in Forth , cause it is always done LEAST WORK , FASTEST runtime . In 40 years , Humans have built up school systems , universities, industries and factories Since it is a "system" , its uncompetitive . Competition and profits are impossible from any system . Accountants can see the "books" indicate this is the last of those 40 years of educational systems . For the lack of profits . Productivity/Profits comes ONLY from individuals , working alone ( competition) . They create their own "tools" . They NEVER write manuals cause every tool is the simplest it can be , Needs no explanation . Forth Dictionary is not for teaching Forth , its for organizing WORDS . Its for taking work and details away from the programmer . Forth is to program , not to learn , nor study . Study is for students , Students dont eat well . They seek help and subsidy , and credencials .. This is not programming. There is NO arguement in Forth , cause it is always done LEAST WORK , FASTEST , no BLOAT . -------- In 40 years , Humans have built up school systems , universities, industries and factories Since it is a "system" , its uncom...

no forth pc? no forth replacement for mysqL? a la www.prevayler.org? no forth appserver?
how about a forth clone of iceWM in 1% the code? On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:36:49 PM UTC-6, the_gavino_himself wrote: > how about a forth clone of iceWM in 1% the code? Right now, what I'm interested in is niche RPGMaker-type games on Android. I've done some of this work already in Java, including creating a map editor (on Android) and a playable demo, using First Seed Material (http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/index.php) assets I gave up on my last alternatives to Java when I found Terminal IDE, which allowed me to move code all the way from Java source to installable .apks on the device itself. But now there is a Forth system on Android! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gnu.gforth&hl=en I don't know if it'll have on-device turnkey facilities soon or ever, or how deployment will otherwise work. I've some familiarity with Java API, the Android way of XML-specified interfaces and the like (fortunately, games mostly ignore that part of Android), but JNI and friends is still a mystery to me. But you can get the satisfaction of being able to touch an icon and have your Forth app start up.... by the roundabout method of having an auxiliary app that 1) slides Forth source into starta.fs on the SD card and then 2) launches gforth. It's satisfying anyway. So in the manner of someone laying down track with the expectation that there will be a tunnel through the mountain by the time the mountain is reache...

FORTH
Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? Ian implementation of what On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:44:49 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Jones" <bellevueparkw@btinternet.com> wrote: |Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? | |Ian | Alien at Large wrote: > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:44:49 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Jones" > <bellevueparkw@btinternet.com> wrote: > > |Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? > | > |Ian > > implementation of what What he said in the subject line. (Hint: it&#...

Forth
Anyone know of a version of Forth for RISC OS? I used to use Forthmacs by Hanno Schwalm a few years ago, but I've been out of the Acorn scene since 2000, recently returned with an Iyonix. Hanno's site seems to be down and no reply from his old e-mail address. Anton -- Hi, By the process of poking various fingers onto keys Anton generated this: > Anyone know of a version of Forth for RISC OS? > > I used to use Forthmacs by Hanno Schwalm a few years ago, but I've been out > of the Acorn scene since 2000, recently returned with an Iyonix. Hanno's > site see...

3 books on eBay: Starting FORTH; Thinking FORTH; FORTH Programmer's Handbook
Forth Programmer's Handbook by Conklin and Rather Search for eBay Item # 4129534182 Excellent (like new) condition, second EDITION (August 1998), sixth PRINTING (August 2000). Thinking Forth by Leo Brodie (1984) Search for eBay Item # 4129545378 Excellent (like new) condition, this is the 1994 reprint from Fig Leaf Press (Forth Interest Group, Inc). Starting Forth by Leo Brodie (1987) Search for eBay Item # 4129553634 Second edition, in very good condition. Shows slight wear, but very clean. The softcover binding is in excellent shape. ...

Id love to surf web with 4megs ram forth pc using forth and forth chips
when will this happen? cant wait!! On 9/27/2013 11:52 AM, the_gavino_himself wrote: > when will this happen? > > cant wait!! > I'll happen when someone comes up with several $M in funding. Cheers, Elizabeth -- ================================================== Elizabeth D. Rather (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH FORTH Inc. +1 310.999.6784 5959 West Century Blvd. Suite 700 Los Angeles, CA 90045 http://www.forth.com "Forth-based products and Services for real-time applications since 1973." ================================================== Elizabeth D Rather wrote: > On 9/27/2013 11:52 AM, the_gavino_himself wrote: >> when will this happen? >> >> cant wait!! >> > > I'll happen when someone comes up with several $M in funding. With 4 megs of RAM? I wouldn't do that even if I had large funding. This is not enough memory to display a single cat image, so it's not worth considering. -- Bernd Paysan "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself" http://bernd-paysan.de/ On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:01:15 PM UTC+1, Bernd Paysan wrote: > With 4 megs of RAM? I wouldn't do that even if I had large funding. Thi= s=20 > is not enough memory to display a single cat image, so it's not worth=20 > considering. This is true. Cat images are big. Especially images of lions - because they= ar...

3 books on eBay: Starting FORTH; Thinking FORTH; FORTH Programmer's Handbook #2
Forth Programmer's Handbook by Conklin and Rather Search for eBay Item # 4129534182 Excellent (like new) condition, second EDITION (August 1998), sixth PRINTING (August 2000). Thinking Forth by Leo Brodie (1984) Search for eBay Item # 4129545378 Excellent (like new) condition, this is the 1994 reprint from Fig Leaf Press (Forth Interest Group, Inc). Starting Forth by Leo Brodie (1987) Search for eBay Item # 4129553634 Second edition, in very good condition. Shows slight wear, but very clean. The softcover binding is in excellent shape. ...

Writing ANS Forth in ANS Forth
Hi I'm currently attempting to write an ANS-compliant ITC Forth system for the ARM as a personal learning project. I've implemented my system primitives as code words and am now starting to look at the implementation of the high-level words. I've noticed that a number of systems use non-ANS definitions or user variables such as LATEST in their implementation of high-level words. I'm currently trying to decide how this fits in with a strictly ANS-compliant system. Here are my thoughts so far regarding two possible approaches... 1) Implement non-ANS words and use them in high-level ANS word definitions. Pros - Makes implementation of some words easier(?). Cons - Non-ANS words visible to the user. System always has bespoke extensions whether you want it to or not. High-level definitions not portable. 2) Only implement high-level ANS words in terms of other ANS words. Pros - 'Cleaner' implementation(?). System has no bespoke extensions. Using SEE on high-level words only shows ANS source, so the user only sees standard documented words. Cons - Some words that would have previously been high-level would have to be implemented as code words where no suitable ANS primitives exist. So, should a strictly ANS-compliant Forth only ever be implemented in ANS Forth? (and is that even possible/practical?) I guess that without the visibility provided by WORDS and SEE this really becomes a non-issue with the user being unaware that there are a number of und...

Forth Application and Technique OR Forth Handbook
hello I buy 1 week ago on amazon U.S. "Forth applications and technical" I would like to know if this book is worth knowing - I do not familiarized with programming language ? and if it is sufficient to have familiarized high in this language ? is that the book "Forth programming" handbook is necessary ? i have not a good level of english and i use a translator thanks On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:37:15 AM UTC-7, michael wrote: > hello > > > > I buy 1 week ago on amazon U.S. "Forth applications and technical" > > > > I would like to know if this book is worth knowing > > > > - I do not familiarized with programming language ? > > > > and if it is sufficient to have familiarized high in this language ? > > > > is that the book "Forth programming" handbook is necessary ? > > > > i have not a good level of english and i use a translator > > > > thanks Best book to learn from beginner. Starting Forth Free Online Version http://www.forth.com/starting-forth/ Also get an old paper book copy Jason In comp.lang.forth, michael wrote: > i have not a good level of english and i use a translator If you need some French materials - maybe try Turboforth for DOS? http://forth.free.fr/apprentissage/turbo-forth/page00.htm -- The consensus was, as usual in this co...

JavaScript to Forth translator (shift-forth)
Hi All, I am working on experimental tool to translate JavaScript (subset) into Forth. https://github.com/drom/shift-forth It takes JavaScript program in Single Static Assignment (SSA) form, implements very simple stack scheduling algorithm, using PICK for deep stack access. And runs peephole optimizer on top. I am working to add basic control structures to to it: Call, if, while Any suggestions are welcome. --Alexey ...

Which FORTH?
I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env provider that's financially viable??? ---John On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:03:58 -0700 (PDT), jski <john.chludzinski@gmail.com> wrote: >I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. > >I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes >of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of >fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env provider that's >financially viable??? In terms of target performance performance and features, the top of the range comes from MPE. http://www.mpeforth.com/xc7.htm But then, we supply Forth systems. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads On 9/15/11 12:03 PM, jski wrote: > I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. > > I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes > of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of > fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env pro...

About FORTH
Bonjour � tous. Je recherche les sources d'un forth pour ORIC. Existe-t-il un metacompilateur pour ORIC ? Merci d'avance. Seilebost. PS : Je recommence � tester l'ULA en vhdl. In article <ad4152cf.0306280212.fae8ce@posting.google.com>, olivier JEAN wrote: > Je recherche les sources d'un forth pour ORIC. > Existe-t-il un metacompilateur pour ORIC ? What's a "metacompiler" ? -- Andr� Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/> No actual neurons were harmed in the making of this Usenet post. Andre Majorel &...

Forth Foundation Library
I just came across the homepage of a project called the Forth Foundation Library: <http://ffl.dvoudheusden.net/>. Currently the stuff in the library is not very exciting, but the project is pretty young, so it may grow yet. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/ansforth/forth200x.html ...

With Forth
With Forth I can pretend that I am sometimes connected to reality while attempting to write a computer program. Jason ...

Forth as Assembly Language (Was Re: FORTH levels)
Guy Macon wrote: > > John Doty wrote: > > >It's pretty clear from the contents of the development kits > >that the dominant language for small widgets must be C. > > Your viewpoint is skewed. Those development kits are for > *medium*- sized low volume widgets. When the quantities > become high (some of my designs have reached quantities of > 100,000 per hour) the usual choices (PIC, 8051, ARM...) cost > too much. At those volumes you are more likely to see > microcontrollers made by by GeneralPlus/SunPlus, Elan/EMC, > WinBond, Sonix, etc, and nearly 100% of the software is > written in highly optimized assembly language with > Forth making some inroads. This is an entire world that is > invisible to you unless you are a designer of talking barbie > dolls, computer mice, or musical greeting cards. > > References: > http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010221S0034 > http://www.aes.org/sections/la/archive/2000/2000_docs/soundfortoys200004.doc > > -- > misc.business.product-dev: a Usenet newsgroup > about the Business of Product Development. > -- Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> > Forth can be used as an assembler. What is keeping Forth from replacing a conventional assembler? Can't a Forth development system do whatever optimization is needed for machine code faster and better than ancient assembly language? By the way John Doty is involved in the des...

Re: Differences between ANS Forth and Forth-79
-------------------------------1162045838 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 10/26/2006 5:50:22 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, eratherXXX@forth.com writes: The biggest problem you'll encounter is that the difference between Forth as described in either edition of Starting Forth and any contemporary Forth you might want to use is vast. For example, SF assumes that your program source is in 1024-byte "blocks" that must be edited with a special Forth editor. There may be a few systems that st...

Tethered Forths (was: The meaning of xt in Forth-94)
On 7/2/2015 3:10 AM, Raimond Dragomir wrote: >> BTW, I would love to see a forth system targeted to ARM chips >> (and/or the MSP430) that keeps the dictionary on the host other >> than the executable portions. But maybe this is not really >> important. Mecrisp seems to support reasonably small targets, just >> not the really small ones. -- >> >> Rick > > This is my plan. I have the 'host' part quite ready now. The only > 'application' that I'm interested in writing with it is > cross-compilers. (although host' can be some bigger embedded systems > like BBB or rPi). > > My dictionary space is separated completely because I want it to be > stored anywhere (internal flash, external spi flash, sd card, or even > serial link (another machine - typically 'host')). The code is > tokenized and it's really compact. It seems that the dictionary is > 2.5 times bigger than the real code! > > My intended target architectures will be: > > - very small: targets with no REPL. No need of dictionary at all What is REPL? > - small: dictionary over the serial link. REPL needs some host > special console or terminal program of course. > > - medium: dictionary on target, target has REPL but only the > interpreter (no compiler). Here there are two cases: - dictionary > merged with code - in interna...

Web resources about - [FSL] Additions to Forth Scientific Library - comp.lang.forth

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the history , philosophy , and sociology of scientific knowledge and it triggered an ongoing worldwide assessment and reaction in—and beyond—those ...

Haunting scientific reasons why we haven't found aliens
VIDEO: At one point or another most of us have wondered whether aliens really do exist. Here are some haunting scientific reasons why we haven't ...

Aussie brain drain hits scientific leaders, research positions
A BRAIN drain has stripped Australia of one in four of its scientific leaders and 671 research positions as our best and brightest head overseas. ...

Sam Harris tries "Scientific Ethics"
Apparently Sam Harris is a good writer, but I can't believe that anybody in 2016 is seriously advocating for Utilitarianism in 2016. Very intelligent ...

Yes, there is a scientific device that measures lactation output
This preternaturally adorable cow just finished being milked at the UNH Fairchild Dairy Teaching and Research Center, one of the sites of the ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

Greenpeace Launches Scientific Investigation Into Fukushima Disaster’s Effect On Pacific Ocean
... meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant on the east coast of Japan. It was the largest [&hellip Greenpeace Launches Scientific ...

Scientific journal cites a 'Creator,' scientists say OMG
Technically Incorrect: The popular journal PLOS One publishes a paper that says the human hand was "the proper design of the Creator." The scientific ...

Coke Says It Paid $132.5M To Fund Scientific Research Over A Five-Year Period
... Network — an anti-obesity organization with a decidedly pro-soda bent — Coca-Cola began disclosing all of its spending in the U.S. on scientific ...

W.Va. Schools Consider Creationism And Evolution Scientific Equals
... the 45:50 mark where a reporter asks about the teaching of both Creationism, which is absolutely unproven mythology versus teaching the scientific ...