f



Program or be Programmed !

I just started to read Douglas Rushkoff's book "Program or be Programmed" a=
nd found some lines which should tell us that it is an important task of us=
 to educate young people in programming:

"Computers and networks finally offer us the ability to write. And we do wr=
ite with them on our websites, blogs, and social networks. But the underlyi=
ng capability of the computer era is actually programming -- which almost n=
one of us knows how to do . We simply use the programs that have been made =
for us, and enter our text in the appropriate box on the screen. We teach k=
ids how to use software to write, but not how to write software . This mean=
s they have access to the capabilities given to them by others, but not the=
 power to determine the value-creating capabilities of these technologies f=
or themselves."=20

We should be proud that with the power of Forth we can teach kids how to wr=
ite software, to give them access to the power to determine the value-creat=
ing capabilities of this technology for themselves.

I accidentally found this by a special e-book offer from O/R Books:
http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/program/

And I am sure another one is worth reading: "Technocreep - The Surrender of=
 Privacy" by Thomas P. Keenan, http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/technocreep/

And there are more: http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/
I am writing this because this offer is available this week only, with O/R =
books celebrating it's fifth birthday. Of course these books are available =
as printed books, too. I ordered "Autopilot" as printed edition.
0
visualforth
12/2/2014 2:55:38 AM
comp.lang.forth 7148 articles. 0 followers. markrobertwills (871) is leader. Post Follow

9 Replies
1586 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

visualforth@rocketmail.com wrote:

> I just started to read Douglas Rushkoff's book "Program or be Programmed"
> and found some lines which should tell us that it is an important task of
> us to educate young people in programming:
> 
> "Computers and networks finally offer us the ability to write. And we do
> write with them on our websites, blogs, and social networks. But the
> underlying capability of the computer era is actually programming -- which
> almost none of us knows how to do . We simply use the programs that have
> been made for us, and enter our text in the appropriate box on the screen.
> We teach kids how to use software to write, but not how to write software
> . This means they have access to the capabilities given to them by others,
> but not the power to determine the value-creating capabilities of these
> technologies for themselves."
> 
> We should be proud that with the power of Forth we can teach kids how to
> write software, to give them access to the power to determine the
> value-creating capabilities of this technology for themselves.
> 
> I accidentally found this by a special e-book offer from O/R Books:
> http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/program/
> 
> And I am sure another one is worth reading: "Technocreep - The Surrender
> of Privacy" by Thomas P. Keenan,
> http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/technocreep/
> 
> And there are more: http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/
> I am writing this because this offer is available this week only, with O/R
> books celebrating it's fifth birthday. Of course these books are available
> as printed books, too. I ordered "Autopilot" as printed edition.

I managed to outline the very basics of Forth to a 5 year-old at a recent 
Imagineering Exhibition. In about 5 minutes spent with him he managed to 
grasp the concepts of the parameter stack and postfix operations. 

He was, to admit, quite bright in that he had suggested a small modification 
to the programme I was running on the stand. I was displaying a sine-wave of 
asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source code 
in a separate window. 

With a bit of role play in the class-room and the aid of a few blocks and 
sheets of acrylic and some dry marker pens (shame we can't use chalk 
anymore) Forth would be a very good language to teach our primary school 
children. It would probably not take many sessions of this before you could 
let them loose on a Forth on a computer and have them programming for real.
There are some tutorial books that can help the teachers at this level too.

-- 
********************************************************************
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk..
********************************************************************
0
Paul
12/2/2014 11:36:12 AM
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:36:15 AM UTC-5, Paul E Bennett wrote:
> visualforth@rocketmail.com wrote:
> 
> > I just started to read Douglas Rushkoff's book "Program or be Programmed"
> > and found some lines which should tell us that it is an important task of
> > us to educate young people in programming:
> > 
> > "Computers and networks finally offer us the ability to write. And we do
> > write with them on our websites, blogs, and social networks. But the
> > underlying capability of the computer era is actually programming -- which
> > almost none of us knows how to do . We simply use the programs that have
> > been made for us, and enter our text in the appropriate box on the screen.
> > We teach kids how to use software to write, but not how to write software
> > . This means they have access to the capabilities given to them by others,
> > but not the power to determine the value-creating capabilities of these
> > technologies for themselves."
> > 
> > We should be proud that with the power of Forth we can teach kids how to
> > write software, to give them access to the power to determine the
> > value-creating capabilities of this technology for themselves.
> > 
> > I accidentally found this by a special e-book offer from O/R Books:
> > http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/program/
> > 
> > And I am sure another one is worth reading: "Technocreep - The Surrender
> > of Privacy" by Thomas P. Keenan,
> > http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/technocreep/
> > 
> > And there are more: http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/
> > I am writing this because this offer is available this week only, with O/R
> > books celebrating it's fifth birthday. Of course these books are available
> > as printed books, too. I ordered "Autopilot" as printed edition.
> 
> I managed to outline the very basics of Forth to a 5 year-old at a recent 
> Imagineering Exhibition. In about 5 minutes spent with him he managed to 
> grasp the concepts of the parameter stack and postfix operations. 
> 
> He was, to admit, quite bright in that he had suggested a small modification 
> to the programme I was running on the stand. I was displaying a sine-wave of 
> asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
> generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
> did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source code 
> in a separate window. 
> 
> With a bit of role play in the class-room and the aid of a few blocks and 
> sheets of acrylic and some dry marker pens (shame we can't use chalk 
> anymore) Forth would be a very good language to teach our primary school 
> children. It would probably not take many sessions of this before you could 
> let them loose on a Forth on a computer and have them programming for real.
> There are some tutorial books that can help the teachers at this level too.
> 
> -- 
> ********************************************************************
> Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>
> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk>
> Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
> Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
> Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk..
> ********************************************************************

sounds wishful
0
the_gavino_himself
12/13/2014 8:47:38 PM
the_gavino_himself wrote:

[%X]

>> I managed to outline the very basics of Forth to a 5 year-old at a recent
>> Imagineering Exhibition. In about 5 minutes spent with him he managed to
>> grasp the concepts of the parameter stack and postfix operations.
>> 
>> He was, to admit, quite bright in that he had suggested a small
>> modification to the programme I was running on the stand. I was
>> displaying a sine-wave of asterix characters scrolling continuously down
>> the screen. 3 lines of code generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers
>> and the other 30 or so lines did scaling and arrangements for its
>> display. I was showing the source code in a separate window.
>> 
>> With a bit of role play in the class-room and the aid of a few blocks and
>> sheets of acrylic and some dry marker pens (shame we can't use chalk
>> anymore) Forth would be a very good language to teach our primary school
>> children. It would probably not take many sessions of this before you
>> could let them loose on a Forth on a computer and have them programming
>> for real. There are some tutorial books that can help the teachers at
>> this level too.
> 
> sounds wishful

Not that wishful Gav. I have run some of the ideas by some ex-teachers and 
have some contacts in the Teacher Training arena. The 5 year-old was 
probably easier to deal with. I know the real challenge is teaching the 
teachers on how to approach the material.

-- 
********************************************************************
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk..
********************************************************************
0
Paul
12/13/2014 8:54:13 PM
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:47:39 PM UTC-5, the_gavino_himself wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:36:15 AM UTC-5, Paul E Bennett wrote:
> > visualforth.com wrote:
> >=20
> > > I just started to read Douglas Rushkoff's book "Program or be Program=
med"
> > > and found some lines which should tell us that it is an important tas=
k of
> > > us to educate young people in programming:
> > >=20
> > > "Computers and networks finally offer us the ability to write. And we=
 do
> > > write with them on our websites, blogs, and social networks. But the
> > > underlying capability of the computer era is actually programming -- =
which
> > > almost none of us knows how to do . We simply use the programs that h=
ave
> > > been made for us, and enter our text in the appropriate box on the sc=
reen.
> > > We teach kids how to use software to write, but not how to write soft=
ware
> > > . This means they have access to the capabilities given to them by ot=
hers,
> > > but not the power to determine the value-creating capabilities of the=
se
> > > technologies for themselves."
> > >=20
> > > We should be proud that with the power of Forth we can teach kids how=
 to
> > > write software, to give them access to the power to determine the
> > > value-creating capabilities of this technology for themselves.
> > >=20
> > > I accidentally found this by a special e-book offer from O/R Books:
> > > http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/program/
> > >=20
> > > And I am sure another one is worth reading: "Technocreep - The Surren=
der
> > > of Privacy" by Thomas P. Keenan,
> > > http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/technocreep/
> > >=20
> > > And there are more: http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/
> > > I am writing this because this offer is available this week only, wit=
h O/R
> > > books celebrating it's fifth birthday. Of course these books are avai=
lable
> > > as printed books, too. I ordered "Autopilot" as printed edition.
> >=20
> > I managed to outline the very basics of Forth to a 5 year-old at a rece=
nt=20
> > Imagineering Exhibition. In about 5 minutes spent with him he managed t=
o=20
> > grasp the concepts of the parameter stack and postfix operations.=20
> >=20
> > He was, to admit, quite bright in that he had suggested a small modific=
ation=20
> > to the programme I was running on the stand. I was displaying a sine-wa=
ve of=20
> > asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of c=
ode=20
> > generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lin=
es=20
> > did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source =
code=20
> > in a separate window.=20
> >=20
> > With a bit of role play in the class-room and the aid of a few blocks a=
nd=20
> > sheets of acrylic and some dry marker pens (shame we can't use chalk=20
> > anymore) Forth would be a very good language to teach our primary schoo=
l=20
> > children. It would probably not take many sessions of this before you c=
ould=20
> > let them loose on a Forth on a computer and have them programming for r=
eal.
> > There are some tutorial books that can help the teachers at this level =
too.
> >=20
> > --=20

> sounds wishful

Gavino,

This isn't wishful at all. More than thirty years ago, one year before the =
RTX2000 was launched, at Munich's electronica fair I showed RSC-Forth on a =
100mm x 100mm MINIBEE R6511 Microprocessor board to school kids on Saturday=
 morning, when everybody was allowed to enter the fair. I showed how easy i=
t is to make sounds writing some lines of Forth code.

While typing the code, one of the kids immediately told me that I had made =
a typo, and he was right! Imagine that! A seven year old kid! Back then pro=
gramming wasn't taught in schools yet!

I read you have problems programming in Forth. So try this, what I showed t=
o these school kids. You only need a TI MSP430 G2 LaunchPad (10$ - if you d=
on't have the money, I'll send it to you), a little 8 Ohm Speaker (90 Cents=
 at Sparkfun) and the 4E4th-IDE, an Integrated Development Environment for =
this Launchpad, free download at http://www.4e4th-ide.org/

Here it is - copy this text and use the IDE's 'Download / Clipboard / All' =
menu:

( ---------------------------------------------- )

HEX

: TIMER=20
    1 2A C! 1 2E C!
    80 182 !
;

: SET-TIMER ( n -- )
   192 !
;

: TIMER-ON
   210 180 !=20

;

: TIMER-OFF=20
   0 180 !=20
;

: TIMER-START ( n -- )
   TIMER DUP SET-TIMER TIMER-ON=20
;

: DOWN-TIMER =20
   0 DO 1 MS  I -  DUP  SET-TIMER
        DUP 1 < IF LEAVE THEN LOOP TIMER-OFF=20
;

: CHIRP
 1000 TIMER-START 100 DOWN-TIMER=20
;

DECIMAL

 : CHIRP3 CHIRP 100 MS CHIRP 50 MS CHIRP ;=20

: CHIRPS BEGIN CHIRP3 300 MS KEY? UNTIL ;

( ---------------------------------------------- )

You will get it running within a few minutes, following the IDE's advice.
Let me know about your success or problems!
Take the chance!
0
visualforth
12/18/2014 12:51:37 AM
WJ wrote:

> Paul E Bennett wrote:
> 
>> I was displaying a sine-wave of
>> asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of
>> code generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so
>> lines did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the
>> source code in a separate window.
> 
> Gauche Scheme:
> 
> (define line-length 79)
> (define mid-point (div line-length 2))
> (define one-line (string-append
>   (make-string mid-point #\space) "|" (make-string mid-point #\space)))
> (define (pause) (sys-nanosleep 5e7))
> (let loop ((x 0.0))
>   (when (< x 22)
>     (let ((this-line (string-copy one-line))
>           (p (round->exact (+ mid-point (* mid-point (sin x))))))
>       (string-set! this-line p #\*)
>       (print this-line)
>       (pause))
>     (loop (+ 0.1 x))))
> 
> Partial output:

[%X]

Ok, now do that without using the sin x function (which I did not in my 
example). I shall post the full source of my example shortly. I have just 
had a quick look and there is a total of 65 lines defining 7 words including 
the comments and a more vertical style than most use. You will see 
(eventually) that had I used a more horizontal style it would probably have 
been just seven lines.

The reason I started playing with the central sine-wave generation was for a 
small robotic project that required me to generate such a waveform. The 
three line sine-wave generation code is all that I am using from this 
example for the robotics project.

-- 
********************************************************************
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk..
********************************************************************
0
Paul
12/19/2014 1:01:01 AM
Paul E Bennett wrote:

> I was displaying a sine-wave of 
> asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
> generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
> did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source code 
> in a separate window. 

Gauche Scheme:

(define line-length 79)
(define mid-point (div line-length 2))
(define one-line (string-append
  (make-string mid-point #\space) "|" (make-string mid-point #\space)))
(define (pause) (sys-nanosleep 5e7))
(let loop ((x 0.0))
  (when (< x 22)
    (let ((this-line (string-copy one-line))
          (p (round->exact (+ mid-point (* mid-point (sin x))))))
      (string-set! this-line p #\*)
      (print this-line)
      (pause))
    (loop (+ 0.1 x))))

Partial output:

     *                                 |
   *                                   |
  *                                    |
 *                                     |
*                                      |
*                                      |
*                                      |
 *                                     |
  *                                    |
   *                                   |
     *                                 |
       *                               |
         *                             |
           *                           |
              *                        |
                  *                    |
                     *                 |
                        *              |
                            *          |
                                *      |
                                    *  |
                                       |*
                                       |    *
                                       |       *
                                       |           *
                                       |               *
                                       |                  *
                                       |                      *
                                       |                         *
                                       |                           *
                                       |                              *
                                       |                                *
                                       |                                  *
                                       |                                    *
                                       |                                     *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                     *
                                       |                                    *
                                       |                                  *
                                       |                                *
                                       |                              *
                                       |                            *
                                       |                         *
                                       |                      *
                                       |                   *
                                       |               *
                                       |           *
                                       |        *
                                       |    *
                                       |*
                                    *  |
                                *      |
                            *          |
                         *             |
                     *                 |
                  *                    |
               *                       |
            *                          |
         *                             |
       *                               |
     *                                 |
   *                                   |
  *                                    |
 *                                     |
*                                      |
*                                      |
*                                      |
 *                                     |
  *                                    |
   *                                   |
     *                                 |
       *                               |
         *                             |
            *                          |
               *                       |
                  *                    |
                     *                 |
                         *             |
                             *         |
                                 *     |
                                    *  |
                                       |*
                                       |    *
                                       |        *
                                       |            *
0
WJ
12/19/2014 8:20:09 AM
Paul E Bennett wrote:

> I was displaying a sine-wave of 
> asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
> generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
> did scaling and arrangements for its display.

Factor:


USING: sequences literals locals math.ranges math.functions ;

<< CONSTANT: line-length 79 >>
CONSTANT: mid-point $[ line-length 2 /i ]

: one-line ( -- string )
  mid-point " " first <string>
  dup "|" prepend append ;
:: starred-line ( i -- string )
  one-line  :> str
  CHAR: *  i str set-nth
  str ;

0.0 22.0 0.1 <range>
[ sin mid-point * mid-point +
  round >fixnum starred-line print
] each


Partial output:
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                     * 
                                       |                                    *  
                                       |                                  *    
                                       |                                 *     
                                       |                               *       
                                       |                            *          
                                       |                         *             
                                       |                      *                
                                       |                   *                   
                                       |                *                      
                                       |            *                          
                                       |        *                              
                                       |     *                                 
                                       | *                                     
                                     * |                                       
                                 *     |                                       
                             *         |                                       
                         *             |                                       
                      *                |                                       
                  *                    |                                       
               *                       |                                       
            *                          |                                       
         *                             |                                       
       *                               |                                       
     *                                 |                                       
   *                                   |                                       
  *                                    |                                       
 *                                     |                                       
*                                      |                                       
*                                      |                                       
*                                      |                                       
 *                                     |                                       
  *                                    |                                       
   *                                   |                                       
     *                                 |                                       
       *                               |                                       
         *                             |                                       
           *                           |                                       
              *                        |                                       
                  *                    |                                       
                     *                 |                                       
                        *              |                                       
                            *          |                                       
                                *      |                                       
                                    *  |                                       
                                       |*                                      
                                       |    *                                  
                                       |       *                               
                                       |           *                           
                                       |               *                       
                                       |                  *                    
                                       |                      *                
                                       |                         *             
                                       |                           *           
                                       |                              *        
                                       |                                *      
                                       |                                  *    
                                       |                                    *  
                                       |                                     * 
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                     * 
                                       |                                    *  
                                       |                                  *    
                                       |                                *      
                                       |                              *        
                                       |                            *          
                                       |                         *             
                                       |                      *                
                                       |                   *                   
                                       |               *                       
                                       |           *                           
                                       |        *                              
                                       |    *                                  
                                       |*                                      
                                    *  |                                       
                                *      |                                       
                            *          |                                       
                         *             |                                       
                     *                 |                                       
                  *                    |                                       
 

0
WJ
12/25/2014 9:08:08 PM
WJ wrote:

> Paul E Bennett wrote:
> 
> > I was displaying a sine-wave of 
> > asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
> > generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
> > did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source code 
> > in a separate window. 
> 
> Gauche Scheme:
> 
> (define line-length 79)
> (define mid-point (div line-length 2))
> (define one-line (string-append
>   (make-string mid-point #\space) "|" (make-string mid-point #\space)))
> (define (pause) (sys-nanosleep 5e7))
> (let loop ((x 0.0))
>   (when (< x 22)
>     (let ((this-line (string-copy one-line))
>           (p (round->exact (+ mid-point (* mid-point (sin x))))))
>       (string-set! this-line p #\*)
>       (print this-line)
>       (pause))
>     (loop (+ 0.1 x))))
> 
> Partial output:
> 
>      *                                 |
>    *                                   |
>   *                                    |
>  *                                     |
> *                                      |
> *                                      |
> *                                      |
>  *                                     |
>   *                                    |
>    *                                   |
>      *                                 |
>        *                               |
>          *                             |
>            *                           |
>               *                        |
>                   *                    |
>                      *                 |
>                         *              |
>                             *          |
>                                 *      |

Oforth:

79 Constant new: line-length
line-length 2.0 / ceil Constant new: mid-point
func: make-line {
  ListBuffer init( line-length, #[ ' ' ] )
  dup  put( mid-point, '|' ) }
func: pause { System sleep(50) }
func: go {| i x old-x delta char |
  0 -> old-x
  0 220 for: i [
    i 10.0 / sin mid-point -- * mid-point +   -> x
    x old-x - -> delta
    delta abs 0.5 <
    ifTrue: [ '|' ]
    else: [ delta sgn 2 + "/ \\" at ] -> char
    make-line dup put( x round, char )
    charsAsString println
    pause
    x -> old-x
  ]
}

Partial output:

       /                               |
     /                                 |
   /                                   |
  /                                    |
 /                                     |
/                                      |
|                                      |
|                                      |
 \                                     |
  \                                    |
   \                                   |
     \                                 |
       \                               |
         \                             |
           \                           |
              \                        |
                  \                    |
                     \                 |
                        \              |
                            \          |
                                \      |
                                    \  |
                                       |\
                                       |    \
                                       |       \
                                       |           \
                                       |               \
                                       |                  \
                                       |                      \
                                       |                         \
                                       |                           \
                                       |                              \
                                       |                                \
                                       |                                  \
                                       |                                    \
                                       |                                     \
                                       |                                      \
                                       |                                      |
                                       |                                      |
                                       |                                      |
                                       |                                     /
                                       |                                    /
                                       |                                  /
                                       |                                /
                                       |                              /
                                       |                            /
                                       |                         /
                                       |                      /
                                       |                   /
                                       |               /
                                       |           /
                                       |        /
                                       |    /
                                       |/
0
WJ
3/27/2015 7:57:53 AM
WJ wrote:

> WJ wrote:
> 
> > Paul E Bennett wrote:
> > 
> > > I was displaying a sine-wave of 
> > > asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of code 
> > > generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so lines 
> > > did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the source code 
> > > in a separate window. 

Ocaml:

#load "unix.cma";;

let line_length = 79;;
let mid_point = line_length / 2;;
let empty_line = let half = String.make mid_point ' ' in half ^ "|" ^ half ;;
let make_line i =
  let line = Bytes.of_string empty_line in
  Bytes.set line i '*' ;
  line ;;
let pause () = ignore (Unix.select [] [] [] 0.05);;
let round x = int_of_float (floor (x +. 0.5)) ;;

let rec  loop x =
  print_endline
    (make_line (round ((sin x) *. float mid_point) + mid_point));
    pause ();
    if x < 9.0 then loop (x +. 0.125)
  in loop 0.0 ;;

                                       *
                                       |    *
                                       |         *
                                       |             *
                                       |                  *
                                       |                      *
                                       |                          *
                                       |                             *
                                       |                                *
                                       |                                  *
                                       |                                    *
                                       |                                     *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                      *
                                       |                                     *
                                       |                                    *
                                       |                                  *
                                       |                                *
                                       |                             *
                                       |                          *
                                       |                      *
                                       |                  *
                                       |              *
                                       |         *
                                       |     *
                                       |*
                                   *   |
                              *        |
                         *             |
                     *                 |
                 *                     |
             *                         |
         *                             |
       *                               |
    *                                  |
  *                                    |
 *                                     |
*                                      |
*                                      |
 *                                     |
  *                                    |
   *                                   |
      *                                |
        *                              |
           *                           |
               *                       |
                   *                   |
                        *              |
                            *          |
                                 *     |
                                      *|
0
WJ
11/28/2015 8:17:35 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Program or be Programmed
http://www.rushkoff.com/program-or-be-programmed/ The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: it's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? ?Choose the former,? writes Rushkoff, ?and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make.? ...

affiliate program program wedding program weight loss program graphic program
Gambling has unfortunately become an acceptable practise in Muslim Society due to its wide scale promotion by the media. A large number of good Muslims are also caught in the web, not realising that they are gambling and that the earnings from the gambling are haraam. The following is a translation of a scholarly article by the late Mufti Muhammad Shafi rahmatullahi alaihe which is being published to make Muslims aware of the different forms of transactions and other items which are classified in Shar'iah as gambling. http://www.geocities.com/avril_lavigne_lot/SpecificPrograms.htm aff...

Re: Program or be Programmed !
Paul E Bennett wrote: > WJ wrote: > >> Paul E Bennett wrote: >> >>> I was displaying a sine-wave of >>> asterix characters scrolling continuously down the screen. 3 lines of >>> code generated the sine-wave (and cosine) numbers and the other 30 or so >>> lines did scaling and arrangements for its display. I was showing the >>> source code in a separate window. >> >> Gauche Scheme: >> >> (define line-length 79) >> (define mid-point (div line-length 2)) >> (define one-line (stri...

start program as only program
Hi, I'm looking for a way to start my application when windows start and when started, the user can't use windows. (ALT-TAB or so) Is this possible ? TIA, Bart. Bart, Run it as a service, see the VO sample gallery Frans. "Bart" <bart@NOSPAMdc-soft.com> wrote in message news:7lbci.12599$U84.945411@phobos.telenet-ops.be: > Hi, > > I'm looking for a way to start my application when windows start > and when started, the user can't use windows. (ALT-TAB or so) > Is this possible ? > > TIA, > Bart. > &g...

GUI programming program
Hi, guys, I have a question related to GUI programming. I created a GUI using GUIDE and it includes a popupmenu and a axes and some other push buttons. I put a surface() function in the GUI opening function in order to create a figure in the axes. The figure can be displayed correctly in the axes, however, the popupmenu is invisible(the other push bottones shows correctly). It is so weired for me. BTW, I created this GUI by using Matlab 7.0 release 14.0. Does anybody know what is wrong with my GUI? Thanks in advance! Helen helen zhao wrote: > > > Hi, guys, > I have a question re...

Program that teaches you programming
Back in about 1980 or there abouts I recall a program they had in my high school that ran on apple ]['s that would display either a programming example, a psuedo code programming example, a word problem or maybe a flow chart (cant remember what one it was exactly) and then you had a window below it to type in the program code, which it would then check and run for you. I do know it was a Basic program. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about? Bill H On Dec 29, 7:15 pm, Bill H <b...@ts1000.us> wrote: > Back in about 1980 or there abouts I recall a program they had in my >...

Tracker programming/programs
Is there any open source project with following kind of file format: As we know, any sample can be constructed from basic sine waves with frequency, phase, and amplitude information. If we take this information, and express it as function of time, we have a sound. So, take much of these, and you have music. S = a * sin (w * t + p) a = f (t) w = f (t) p = f (t) So I'm asking if there already exist any project, where music is calculated "in air". This to replace various tracker programs around. Tatu Portin wrote: > So I'm asking if there already exist any project,...

[OT] When is a program not a program
We had a Windows service come in the other day written by an external contractor. The service installed correctly, but then went berserk when asked to do the job it was actually designed for. Being a service, it can't be deleted in the task manager, so we went to the service manager and told the service to stop. Unfortunately, that had no effect. We then went to the .exe for the service and called -unregserver. Unfortunately, there was a bug in the code, which stopped this call from working. Of course, restarting had no effect, until we set the service to manual startup. This does not get...

von neumann programing lang; functional-level programing
Ok, today's Wikipedia learned me few things. One is the term =E2=80=9Cvon neumann programnig lang=E2=80=9D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_programming_languages effectively, that's those of C, C++, Java, sh, perl and the bunch of garbage to no ends. In short, =E2=80=9Cvon neumann programnig lang=E2=80=9D are those modeled o= n computer hardware. Namely, storage, control flow. (thus the bunch of garbage such as memory address, pointers, file handle, (and, lisp's cons)) I find the discovery of this term very illuminating. I used to use pages of words to describe the low-...

functional programming haskell lisp claim to beat object programming, what does forth have?
I am not joking. I am unix admin and don't understand this stuff but have read smalltalk is = the only proper oo language and its message oriented not object. I noticed a object system in gforth. What will forth do if functional is better? All I really get from my unix is that it is important to use all cpus on a = box and to keep everything in main memory for speed and possibly log update= s to the in memory data to disk, which can be fast, and this is called prev= ayler.org style which makes SQL databases not really needed in all but very= large apps. How does forth ...

Forth is to program , Forth is NOT to study ..
Forth is to program , not to learn , nor study . Study is for students , Students dont eat well . They seek help and subsidy , and credencials .. all , far from productive programming . There is NO arguement , NO arguement in Forth , cause it is always done LEAST WORK , FASTEST runtime . In 40 years , Humans have built up school systems , universities, industries and factories Since it is a "system" , its uncompetitive . Competition and profits are impossible from any system . Accountants can see the "books" indicate this is ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Ser...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Ser...

Web resources about - Program or be Programmed ! - comp.lang.forth

Programmed Data Processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Programmed Data Processor ( PDP ) was a series of minicomputers made and marketed by the Digital Equipment Corporation from 1957 to 1990. The ...

Arduino hack: light sensor programmed to indicate light level using 3 LEDs - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Arduino hack: light sensor programmed to indicate light level using 3 LEDs - Picture by Tristan Nitot

SXSW 2010: Program or be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age - YouTube
Best-selling author and technology visionary Douglas Rushoff offers his insights and perspectives on humanity's role in the bight new future. ...

Someone In The Cockpit Programmed The Turn That Diverted The Malaysia Plane From Its Original Path
The westward turn that diverted the missing Malaysia aeroplane from its original path toward Beijing was programmed into a computer system in ...

Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 may have been programmed to fly to Australia
... flight paths &#8212; and three of them lead to Australia. Flight routes ending in Port Hedland, Adelaide and Perth could have been programmed ...

Skilled rejects Programmed's merger offer
AUSTRALIA'S biggest workforce provider Skilled Group has rejected a merger bid from rival Programmed, but the suitor is open to making another ...

The male brain is programmed to seek out sex over food
It turns out the way to a man's heart has nothing to do with his stomach.

Skilled agrees to Programmed merger talks
Shares in Australia's biggest workforce provider, Skilled Group, have jumped sharply after the resumption of merger talks with rival Programmed ...

Cells programmed back to embryonic state using acid bath may provide way to grow new organs
Scientists use an acid bath to shock mature cells from mice back into a stem cell-like state.

Photos of the women who programmed the ENIAC, wrote the code for Apollo 11, and designed the Mac
... then.” In the earliest days of computing, the US Army built the ENIAC, the first electronic general purpose computer in 1946. And women programmed ...

Resources last updated: 1/26/2016 6:36:57 AM