With Forth

With Forth I can pretend that I am sometimes connected to reality while attempting to write a computer program.

Jason
0
Jason
7/28/2013 2:31:05 PM
comp.lang.forth 7148 articles. 0 followers. markrobertwills (871) is leader. Post Follow

forth in forth
I came across this in the archives: >The widely shared belief (among both Forthies >and outsiders) that every "real" Forth programmer hacks together >his own compiler/interpreter/programming environment also makes >the Forth community look frivolous or at best naive. Most people >who program for a living know that there are more useful ways to >spend their time than building their own programming environment -- >the key to productivity is leveraging off other peoples' work. HERESY in the Forth community! Imagine... NOT coming up with your own CASE statement or local variable implemetation? Use OTHER PEOPLES TOOLS? Yuccch! One thing you can count on in the Forth community... try to establish a standard ANYTHING, and all that will happen is others will come up with their own implementation, defeating the purpose of standardization. Why is this? I mean, I'm usually quite happy to program in other languages without building my own interpreter or compiler. For instance with Ruby, the only time I even considered it's implementation was when I was learning how it's class structure was organised, and that was only because some of my references talked about the internals. Now with Forth, it seems like every step along the way makes me think about writing my own implementation! A couple of months back I designed (in outline) a prototype based OOPS for forth, and before I could finish it I was planning how to write a ...

When did FORTH become Forth
Just curious, If I recall correctly, didn't Forth used to be FORTH? Blueeyedpop wrote: > Just curious, If I recall correctly, didn't Forth used to be FORTH? The IBM 1130 didn't do lower case. -jpd (co-developer of FORGO, a FORTRAN compile&go system for the 1130) Blueeyedpop wrote: > Just curious, If I recall correctly, didn't Forth used to be FORTH? Yes, back when we used A(or K)SR33s. Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ����������������������������������������������������������������������� When did we stop...

Forth is to program , Forth is NOT to study ..
Forth is to program , not to learn , nor study . Study is for students , Students dont eat well . They seek help and subsidy , and credencials .. all , far from productive programming . There is NO arguement , NO arguement in Forth , cause it is always done LEAST WORK , FASTEST runtime . In 40 years , Humans have built up school systems , universities, industries and factories Since it is a "system" , its uncompetitive . Competition and profits are impossible from any system . Accountants can see the "books" indicate this is ...

applications in forth or forth libraries
is there a archive of applications built in forth? something like cpan for perl? etc.? On Dec 2, 3:46=A0pm, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > is there a archive of applications built in forth? > > something like cpan for perl? etc.? Well, you'll find some things. Take a look at forthfreak.net to get the pointers. The main problem is that even "ANS compatible" Forths are not compatible at all if you add the mindset of the programmer to the standard. There are some classes of problems that are better solved by non-ANS extensions than with ANS. And almost every...

no forth pc? no forth replacement for mysqL? a la www.prevayler.org? no forth appserver?
how about a forth clone of iceWM in 1% the code? On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:36:49 PM UTC-6, the_gavino_himself wrote: > how about a forth clone of iceWM in 1% the code? Right now, what I'm interested in is niche RPGMaker-type games on Android. I've done some of this work already in Java, including creating a map editor (on Android) and a playable demo, using First Seed Material (http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/index.php) assets I gave up on my last alternatives to Java when I found Terminal IDE, which allowed me to move code all the way from Java source to installable .apks on the device itself. But now there is a Forth system on Android! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gnu.gforth&hl=en I don't know if it'll have on-device turnkey facilities soon or ever, or how deployment will otherwise work. I've some familiarity with Java API, the Android way of XML-specified interfaces and the like (fortunately, games mostly ignore that part of Android), but JNI and friends is still a mystery to me. But you can get the satisfaction of being able to touch an icon and have your Forth app start up.... by the roundabout method of having an auxiliary app that 1) slides Forth source into starta.fs on the SD card and then 2) launches gforth. It's satisfying anyway. So in the manner of someone laying down track with the expectation that there will be a tunnel through the mountain by the time the mountain is reache...

Forth
Hi Chris, http://www.figuk.plus.com/codeindex/index.html Your fourth code index, at the above URL looks really excellent and gives a good show for our favorite language. I am continuing to enjoy reading it. Currently, I have sorted it by applications. Applications are the area of Forth that are my favorite. I am wondering if a version might be made available to catalog editor words, commands and functions? I have found that many neat features are never used in some of the Fourth editors because it's not obvious where they are or what they do. I really like the idea of your index and ...

Forth
Anyone know of a version of Forth for RISC OS? I used to use Forthmacs by Hanno Schwalm a few years ago, but I've been out of the Acorn scene since 2000, recently returned with an Iyonix. Hanno's site seems to be down and no reply from his old e-mail address. Anton -- Hi, By the process of poking various fingers onto keys Anton generated this: > Anyone know of a version of Forth for RISC OS? > > I used to use Forthmacs by Hanno Schwalm a few years ago, but I've been out > of the Acorn scene since 2000, recently returned with an Iyonix. Hanno's > site see...

FORTH
Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? Ian implementation of what On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:44:49 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Jones" <bellevueparkw@btinternet.com> wrote: |Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? | |Ian | Alien at Large wrote: > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:44:49 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Jones" > <bellevueparkw@btinternet.com> wrote: > > |Has anyone got an implementation working on a TREO 600? > | > |Ian > > implementation of what What he said in the subject line. (Hint: it&#...

Forth
Was there ever a forth on cart for the 8 bitters? And if so, anyone got one they dont want anymore... On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:16:43 +0000, Ziggy wrote: > Was there ever a forth on cart for the 8 bitters? Not that I'm aware of. If there is one, I would be interested on Infos. There are a couple of disk based forth systems for the Atari 8bit, see http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG/LangForth > > And if so, anyone got one they dont want anymore... I can build you one, if you like (8 KB Cart, or AtariMax Flashcart), if you need one for work, not for collecting an original piece. Best regards Carsten Strotmann Carsten Strotmann wrote: > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:16:43 +0000, Ziggy wrote: > > >>Was there ever a forth on cart for the 8 bitters? > > > Not that I'm aware of. If there is one, I would be interested on Infos. > There are a couple of disk based forth systems for the Atari 8bit, see > http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG/LangForth > > > >>And if so, anyone got one they dont want anymore... > > > I can build you one, if you like (8 KB Cart, or AtariMax Flashcart), if > you need one for work, not for collecting an original piece. > > Best regards > > Carsten Strotmann > > > Cool.. that wiki looks rather useful.. And yes, the cart was for home 'collector' use.. Im stuck doing the *.net ...

Id love to surf web with 4megs ram forth pc using forth and forth chips
when will this happen? cant wait!! On 9/27/2013 11:52 AM, the_gavino_himself wrote: > when will this happen? > > cant wait!! > I'll happen when someone comes up with several $M in funding. Cheers, Elizabeth -- ================================================== Elizabeth D. Rather (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH FORTH Inc. +1 310.999.6784 5959 West Century Blvd. Suite 700 Los Angeles, CA 90045 http://www.forth.com "Forth-based products and Services for real-time applications since 1973." ================================================== Elizabeth D Rather wrote: > On 9/27/2013 11:52 AM, the_gavino_himself wrote: >> when will this happen? >> >> cant wait!! >> > > I'll happen when someone comes up with several $M in funding. With 4 megs of RAM? I wouldn't do that even if I had large funding. This is not enough memory to display a single cat image, so it's not worth considering. -- Bernd Paysan "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself" http://bernd-paysan.de/ On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:01:15 PM UTC+1, Bernd Paysan wrote: > With 4 megs of RAM? I wouldn't do that even if I had large funding. Thi= s=20 > is not enough memory to display a single cat image, so it's not worth=20 > considering. This is true. Cat images are big. Especially images of lions - because they= ar...

3 books on eBay: Starting FORTH; Thinking FORTH; FORTH Programmer's Handbook
Forth Programmer's Handbook by Conklin and Rather Search for eBay Item # 4129534182 Excellent (like new) condition, second EDITION (August 1998), sixth PRINTING (August 2000). Thinking Forth by Leo Brodie (1984) Search for eBay Item # 4129545378 Excellent (like new) condition, this is the 1994 reprint from Fig Leaf Press (Forth Interest Group, Inc). Starting Forth by Leo Brodie (1987) Search for eBay Item # 4129553634 Second edition, in very good condition. Shows slight wear, but very clean. The softcover binding is in excellent shape. ...

3 books on eBay: Starting FORTH; Thinking FORTH; FORTH Programmer's Handbook #2
Forth Programmer's Handbook by Conklin and Rather Search for eBay Item # 4129534182 Excellent (like new) condition, second EDITION (August 1998), sixth PRINTING (August 2000). Thinking Forth by Leo Brodie (1984) Search for eBay Item # 4129545378 Excellent (like new) condition, this is the 1994 reprint from Fig Leaf Press (Forth Interest Group, Inc). Starting Forth by Leo Brodie (1987) Search for eBay Item # 4129553634 Second edition, in very good condition. Shows slight wear, but very clean. The softcover binding is in excellent shape. ...

Forth and AI (Was Re: C vs Forth, was Howerd's ANN : Forth Versus C
Jeff, I would be interested in hearing your experiences using Forth with AI. Steve Graham === Bill Spight <Xbspight@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<4095C3EA.1549F111@pacbell.net>... >>> > Symbolic Computations on a Personal Computer, -- S. N. Baranoff >>> > >>> > List Processing and Object-Oriented Programming Using Forth, -- >>> > Dennis L Feucht >> It might be interesting to hear from Messers Baranoff and Feucht bout >> the difficulties and trade-offs of using Forth for symbolic >> computati...

Differences between ANS Forth and Forth-79
Hello all, I have recently accquired the german edition of Leo Brodies's "Starting Forth". Since it uses the Forth-79 standard, I would like to know if there is a document that lists the differences between Forth-79 and ANS-Forth. Appendix D.6 of the dpANS draft details the differences between Forth-83 and ANS Forth, but I would like to know, if there are other things to be aware of. I know that there are several ANS-Forth versions of "Starting Forth" available on the web, but I would prefer to read the dead trees version. Many thanks in advance, Alex Alexander ...

Writing ANS Forth in ANS Forth
Hi I'm currently attempting to write an ANS-compliant ITC Forth system for the ARM as a personal learning project. I've implemented my system primitives as code words and am now starting to look at the implementation of the high-level words. I've noticed that a number of systems use non-ANS definitions or user variables such as LATEST in their implementation of high-level words. I'm currently trying to decide how this fits in with a strictly ANS-compliant system. Here are my thoughts so far regarding two possible approaches... 1) Implement non-ANS words and use them in hi...

JavaScript to Forth translator (shift-forth)
Hi All, I am working on experimental tool to translate JavaScript (subset) into Forth. https://github.com/drom/shift-forth It takes JavaScript program in Single Static Assignment (SSA) form, implements very simple stack scheduling algorithm, using PICK for deep stack access. And runs peephole optimizer on top. I am working to add basic control structures to to it: Call, if, while Any suggestions are welcome. --Alexey ...

Forth Application and Technique OR Forth Handbook
hello I buy 1 week ago on amazon U.S. "Forth applications and technical" I would like to know if this book is worth knowing - I do not familiarized with programming language ? and if it is sufficient to have familiarized high in this language ? is that the book "Forth programming" handbook is necessary ? i have not a good level of english and i use a translator thanks On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:37:15 AM UTC-7, michael wrote: > hello > > > > I buy 1 week ago on amazon U.S. "Forth applications and technical" > > > > I would like to know if this book is worth knowing > > > > - I do not familiarized with programming language ? > > > > and if it is sufficient to have familiarized high in this language ? > > > > is that the book "Forth programming" handbook is necessary ? > > > > i have not a good level of english and i use a translator > > > > thanks Best book to learn from beginner. Starting Forth Free Online Version http://www.forth.com/starting-forth/ Also get an old paper book copy Jason In comp.lang.forth, michael wrote: > i have not a good level of english and i use a translator If you need some French materials - maybe try Turboforth for DOS? http://forth.free.fr/apprentissage/turbo-forth/page00.htm -- The consensus was, as usual in this co...

What is Forth?
I thought that it might be fun to start a thread asking the question, what is Forth? I have heard it stated that Forth is Words and Stacks. But, with the new Forth chips, the use of stacks is discouraged, because they are so shallow. Also, it seems that unstructured programming is encouraged with the new chips, lots of jumps to save on a few bytes of code. If that be true then perhaps Forth is no longer Words and Stacks?? In my mind Forth is programming in the extensible macro assembler of a mind wrenchingly simple virutal machine, while for contrast, Java is programming in C++ on top of a mind wrenchingly complex virutal machine. More verbosely, Forth is programming in the extensible macro assembler of a mind wrenchingly simple virtual machine, which features two Stacks which are used implicitly, and which also features Words. What's your definition? Honestly, I don't know enough about hardware to make a statement one way or another about chips in general, and the new Intellasys chips in particular, I only know microcomputer programming. Jason Jason Damisch wrote: > I thought that it might be fun to start a thread asking the question, > what is Forth? > > I have heard it stated that Forth is Words and Stacks. But, with the > new Forth chips, the use of stacks is discouraged, because they are so > shallow. Also, it seems that unstructured programming is encouraged > with the new chips, lots of jumps to save on a few bytes of code. I...

Which FORTH?
I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env provider that's financially viable??? ---John On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:03:58 -0700 (PDT), jski <john.chludzinski@gmail.com> wrote: >I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. > >I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes >of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of >fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env provider that's >financially viable??? In terms of target performance performance and features, the top of the range comes from MPE. http://www.mpeforth.com/xc7.htm But then, we supply Forth systems. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads On 9/15/11 12:03 PM, jski wrote: > I haven't used FORTH on an embedded project since circa 1985. > > I'm wondering if FORTH, Inc.'s SwiftForth is the current BMW/Mercedes > of FORTH development environments for embedded apps? As a matter of > fact, FORTH, Inc. appears to be the only FORTH dev env pro...

About FORTH
Bonjour � tous. Je recherche les sources d'un forth pour ORIC. Existe-t-il un metacompilateur pour ORIC ? Merci d'avance. Seilebost. PS : Je recommence � tester l'ULA en vhdl. In article <ad4152cf.0306280212.fae8ce@posting.google.com>, olivier JEAN wrote: > Je recherche les sources d'un forth pour ORIC. > Existe-t-il un metacompilateur pour ORIC ? What's a "metacompiler" ? -- Andr� Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/> No actual neurons were harmed in the making of this Usenet post. Andre Majorel &...

Tethered Forths (was: The meaning of xt in Forth-94)
On 7/2/2015 3:10 AM, Raimond Dragomir wrote: >> BTW, I would love to see a forth system targeted to ARM chips >> (and/or the MSP430) that keeps the dictionary on the host other >> than the executable portions. But maybe this is not really >> important. Mecrisp seems to support reasonably small targets, just >> not the really small ones. -- >> >> Rick > > This is my plan. I have the 'host' part quite ready now. The only > 'application' that I'm interested in writing with it is > cross-compilers. (although host' can be some bigger embedded systems > like BBB or rPi). > > My dictionary space is separated completely because I want it to be > stored anywhere (internal flash, external spi flash, sd card, or even > serial link (another machine - typically 'host')). The code is > tokenized and it's really compact. It seems that the dictionary is > 2.5 times bigger than the real code! > > My intended target architectures will be: > > - very small: targets with no REPL. No need of dictionary at all What is REPL? > - small: dictionary over the serial link. REPL needs some host > special console or terminal program of course. > > - medium: dictionary on target, target has REPL but only the > interpreter (no compiler). Here there are two cases: - dictionary > merged with code - in interna...

SynthOS
"SynthOS(tm) is a revolutionary tool that synthesizes an application specif= ic operating system ("ASOS") based on some basic system criteria and the ap= plications running on top of it. There is no need for the developer to worr= y about setting semaphores, mutexes, or priority flags or creating task con= text blocks, message queues, task mailboxes-these are all created automatic= ally. There is no need to worry about race conditions, deadlocks, processor= hogging, or unserviced tasks because the ASOS is correct-by-design. The re= sulting ASOS is portable to any process...

keep forthing folks, I wish forth well
:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aVpaUMK2oA ...

ITS NOT FORTH
What i read here has nothing to with Forth . Forth is to nix the overhead and noise and simplify . If your SW compiles , it cant be Forth . Forth is imediate programming at any level , without reading manuals . It is intuitive . You dont have to figure the Kernel , while programming . Tomas Scott Guadalajara MX Cell 33 1449 2609 ( Call for routes in GDL ) KC7CC Ham Radio The new PC is Nientendo DS Lite . It will destroy existing WEB , cell phones providers I offer free programming advice and help on DS Lite BIOS . ...

Web resources about - With Forth - comp.lang.forth

Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders confront racial issues at Flint debate
Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders tiptoed through a minefield of racial issues Sunday evening, with both white candidates attempting to appeal ...

Watch Peyton Manning’s Retirement Announcement Live Online: Start Time, Streaming Video Links For Manning’s ...
Fans can watch Peyton Manning’s retirement announcement live online and see as the NFL legend and soon-to-be Hall of Famer says goodbye. Manning ...

Fiji fightback stuns Australia in Las Vegas Sevens
Defending champions Fiji produced a stunning second half fightback to defeat Australia 21-15 and retain their Las Vegas Sevens crown. Australia ...

At Least 60 Killed in Islamic State Suicide Bombing Outside Baghdad
On Sunday, a fuel tanker rigged with explosives detonated at a checkpoint south of Baghdad, Reuters reports , killing at least 60 people and ...

Ray Tomlinson, Creator Of Email Passes Away At Age 74
Email is something pretty much all of us use in our day-to-day lives. Whether it be for work or pleasure, most of us have an email address, or ...

The Body of a Woman Who Starved To Death in an Elevator Has Been Discovered
My worst nightmare my worst nightmare my worst nightmare: the body of a woman who was trapped in an out-of-service elevator car and starved to ...

Apple shuts down first-ever ransomware attack against Mac users
With the help of security researchers, Apple over the weekend quickly blocked a cyberattack aimed at infecting Mac users with file-encrypting ...

Arnold Schwarzenegger Endorses John Kasich
New York Times Arnold Schwarzenegger Endorses John Kasich New York Times Arnold Schwarzenegger, right, endorsed Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, ...

Coast Guard Suspends Search for Missing Cruise Ship Passenger
Coast Guard Suspends Search for Missing Cruise Ship Passenger

EU stays silent as Turkey seizes Zaman newspaper ahead of refugee summit
The takeover of Zaman sparked international outrage and was described as one of the ‘darkest days’ in the history of Turkey's Press – but EU ...