f



Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran

Dear all,

I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 to 
(IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1
My main task is CFD where I usually built "user-subroutines" in the form of 
a user.dll file which the commercial solver can use and thus implements my 
models.
Up till now everything worked fine with CVF. I tried to compile and link an 
already used library with IVF. I have used exactly the same compiler and 
linker switches with the exception of /iface:cvf and IVF produced the dll 
with no errors. However, the solver just hangs ...
I thought about checking the "contents" of the 2 dll files, which are as 
follows:

(CVF)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dump of file ubound.dll

File Type: DLL

  Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll

    00000000 characteristics
    4200DDD4 time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:04:04 2005
        0.00 version
           1 ordinal base
           6 number of functions
           6 number of names

    ordinal hint RVA      name

          1    0 00009EC8 UBOUND
          3    1 000094C0 UEXE
          5    2 000096A2 ULIB_CHECK_VERSION
          2    3 00009EC8 _UBOUND@24
          4    4 000094C0 _UEXE@8
          6    5 000096A2 _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12

  Summary

        1000 .data
        4000 .rdata
        2000 .reloc
        A000 .text
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and
(IVF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dump of file ubound.dll

File Type: DLL

  Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll

    00000000 characteristics
    4200E4BA time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:33:30 2005
        0.00 version
           1 ordinal base
           3 number of functions
           3 number of names

    ordinal hint RVA      name

          1    0 00009D4E _UBOUND@24
          2    1 0000951C _UEXE@8
          3    2 000095CC _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12

  Summary

        1000 .data
        1000 .data1
        6000 .rdata
        2000 .reloc
        A000 .text
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I CANNOT HELP NOTICING THE RESEMBLANCE and definately don't understand the 
difference!!! However, I know nothing about dlls and have no idea how to 
resolve this issue. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Vangelis 


0
2/2/2005 5:48:26 PM
comp.lang.fortran 11941 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

10 Replies
1644 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

Why not show the !DEC metacommands that DLLEXPORT?
On the face of it your CVF DLL has a .def and more but your IVF DLL
doesn't. What gives?

-- 
You're Welcome,
Gerry T.
______
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even
remotely true." -- Homer Simpson.


"Evangelos Boutsianis" <evangelos.boutsianis@ltnt.iet.mavt.ethz.ch> wrote
in message news:42011269$1@news1.ethz.ch...
> Dear all,
>
> I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 to
> (IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1
> My main task is CFD where I usually built "user-subroutines" in the form
of
> a user.dll file which the commercial solver can use and thus implements
my
> models.
> Up till now everything worked fine with CVF. I tried to compile and link
an
> already used library with IVF. I have used exactly the same compiler and
> linker switches with the exception of /iface:cvf and IVF produced the dll
> with no errors. However, the solver just hangs ...
> I thought about checking the "contents" of the 2 dll files, which are as
> follows:
>
> (CVF)
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
> Dump of file ubound.dll
>
> File Type: DLL
>
>   Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll
>
>     00000000 characteristics
>     4200DDD4 time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:04:04 2005
>         0.00 version
>            1 ordinal base
>            6 number of functions
>            6 number of names
>
>     ordinal hint RVA      name
>
>           1    0 00009EC8 UBOUND
>           3    1 000094C0 UEXE
>           5    2 000096A2 ULIB_CHECK_VERSION
>           2    3 00009EC8 _UBOUND@24
>           4    4 000094C0 _UEXE@8
>           6    5 000096A2 _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12
>
>   Summary
>
>         1000 .data
>         4000 .rdata
>         2000 .reloc
>         A000 .text
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
> and
> (IVF)
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dump of file ubound.dll
>
> File Type: DLL
>
>   Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll
>
>     00000000 characteristics
>     4200E4BA time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:33:30 2005
>         0.00 version
>            1 ordinal base
>            3 number of functions
>            3 number of names
>
>     ordinal hint RVA      name
>
>           1    0 00009D4E _UBOUND@24
>           2    1 0000951C _UEXE@8
>           3    2 000095CC _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12
>
>   Summary
>
>         1000 .data
>         1000 .data1
>         6000 .rdata
>         2000 .reloc
>         A000 .text
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I CANNOT HELP NOTICING THE RESEMBLANCE and definately don't understand
the
> difference!!! However, I know nothing about dlls and have no idea how to
> resolve this issue. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Vangelis
>
>


0
gfthomas (618)
2/5/2005 9:14:57 AM
"Evangelos Boutsianis" wrote
>
> I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 to
> (IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1

Sorry, as you have discovered to your own detriment, you have upgraded
in chronological sense only - IVF is in no way, shape or form an upgrade
from the CVF compiler.

If it still matters, dll diffs you're seeing are probably due to a
change in calling conventions - a misguided attempt to cut out their
turf from the CVF user base.

0
bvoh (245)
2/6/2005 12:24:31 AM
"bv" <bvoh@Xsdynamix.com> wrote in message
news:42056308.3939E629@Xsdynamix.com...
> "Evangelos Boutsianis" wrote
> >
> > I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6
to
> > (IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1
>
> Sorry, as you have discovered to your own detriment, you have upgraded
> in chronological sense only - IVF is in no way, shape or form an upgrade
> from the CVF compiler.
>
> If it still matters, dll diffs you're seeing are probably due to a
> change in calling conventions - a misguided attempt to cut out their
> turf from the CVF user base.
>

Agreed: IVF is a major downgrade wrt CVF. I've previously expounded here
and on the Intel IVF forum (where they're not so naive as to dismiss user
criticisms as the outburst of one who doesn't comply with the drug-pushing
prescriptions of the c.l.f. unqualified) on IVF's inadequacies vis-a-vis
CVF and after two years of floundering, IVF has yet to measure up to the
competition, the unsupported Microsoft (Digital (Compaq) ) VF (MSVF).

Not even Microsoft would be so malicious as to change the default calling
convention between their former (sic MSVF) Fortran 90/95 and current C++
compilers. Intel did so, with apparent impunity. Well, we'll see!

It's been standard CVF support recommendation that .lib generation and
distribution be favored over the use of a .def. This is poor advise which
MSVF never promoted.

-- 
You're Welcome,
Gerry T.
______
 "I promise there will be fewer nuclear disasters with me as your mayor
than with me as your nuclear safety inspector."  Homer Simpson






0
gfthomas (618)
2/6/2005 4:17:27 AM
Gerald F. Thomas wrote:

<snip>

> It's been standard CVF support recommendation that .lib generation and
> distribution be favored over the use of a .def. This is poor advise which
> MSVF never promoted.
> 

"advice", not "advise". You under-educated arse-fart.
0
Aardpig
2/6/2005 8:01:16 PM
PLEASE don't argue with Gerry Thomas. We are unable to grasp his
profound insights, and provoking further comment from him wastes his
time and ours.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

0
beliavsky (2212)
2/6/2005 8:13:22 PM
Let me try to give you the information that might be missing. In both 
attempts I have used the same source file that
includes the following:

 SUBROUTINE ubound(bc_index, var_index, face_index, xfc, yfc, zfc)
 !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: ubound

Should I change something here?

Vangelis


"Gerald F. Thomas" <gfthomas@sympatico.ca> wrote in message 
news:U70Nd.4751$lw4.1018311@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Why not show the !DEC metacommands that DLLEXPORT?
> On the face of it your CVF DLL has a .def and more but your IVF DLL
> doesn't. What gives?
>
> -- 
> You're Welcome,
> Gerry T.
> ______
> "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even
> remotely true." -- Homer Simpson.
>
>
> "Evangelos Boutsianis" <evangelos.boutsianis@ltnt.iet.mavt.ethz.ch> wrote
> in message news:42011269$1@news1.ethz.ch...
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 to
>> (IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1
>> My main task is CFD where I usually built "user-subroutines" in the form
> of
>> a user.dll file which the commercial solver can use and thus implements
> my
>> models.
>> Up till now everything worked fine with CVF. I tried to compile and link
> an
>> already used library with IVF. I have used exactly the same compiler and
>> linker switches with the exception of /iface:cvf and IVF produced the dll
>> with no errors. However, the solver just hangs ...
>> I thought about checking the "contents" of the 2 dll files, which are as
>> follows:
>>
>> (CVF)
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> Dump of file ubound.dll
>>
>> File Type: DLL
>>
>>   Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll
>>
>>     00000000 characteristics
>>     4200DDD4 time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:04:04 2005
>>         0.00 version
>>            1 ordinal base
>>            6 number of functions
>>            6 number of names
>>
>>     ordinal hint RVA      name
>>
>>           1    0 00009EC8 UBOUND
>>           3    1 000094C0 UEXE
>>           5    2 000096A2 ULIB_CHECK_VERSION
>>           2    3 00009EC8 _UBOUND@24
>>           4    4 000094C0 _UEXE@8
>>           6    5 000096A2 _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12
>>
>>   Summary
>>
>>         1000 .data
>>         4000 .rdata
>>         2000 .reloc
>>         A000 .text
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>> and
>> (IVF)
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Dump of file ubound.dll
>>
>> File Type: DLL
>>
>>   Section contains the following exports for ubound.dll
>>
>>     00000000 characteristics
>>     4200E4BA time date stamp Wed Feb 02 15:33:30 2005
>>         0.00 version
>>            1 ordinal base
>>            3 number of functions
>>            3 number of names
>>
>>     ordinal hint RVA      name
>>
>>           1    0 00009D4E _UBOUND@24
>>           2    1 0000951C _UEXE@8
>>           3    2 000095CC _ULIB_CHECK_VERSION@12
>>
>>   Summary
>>
>>         1000 .data
>>         1000 .data1
>>         6000 .rdata
>>         2000 .reloc
>>         A000 .text
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I CANNOT HELP NOTICING THE RESEMBLANCE and definately don't understand
> the
>> difference!!! However, I know nothing about dlls and have no idea how to
>> resolve this issue. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
>>
>> Vangelis
>>
>>
>
> 


0
2/6/2005 10:47:07 PM
beliavsky@aol.com wrote:
> PLEASE don't argue with Gerry Thomas. We are unable to grasp his
> profound insights, and provoking further comment from him wastes his
> time and ours.
> 
> "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."
> 

Agreed, but sometimes you have to stand up to a bully. Just killfile me, 
and I'll get on with harassing him out-of-sight.
0
Aardpig
2/6/2005 11:39:04 PM
In article <IPydncU8LfskN5vfRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
Aardpig  <aardpig@nospam> wrote:

>Agreed, but sometimes you have to stand up to a bully.

This is just Usenet... we call them kooks. You don't have to bother.
If you do, killfiling you isn't enough, because 3rd parties will get
drawn in.

-- greg
0
lindahl (697)
2/6/2005 11:56:08 PM
"Evangelos Boutsianis" <evangelos.boutsianis@ltnt.iet.mavt.ethz.ch> wrote
in message news:42069e72$1@news1.ethz.ch...
> Let me try to give you the information that might be missing. In both
> attempts I have used the same source file that
> includes the following:
>
>  SUBROUTINE ubound(bc_index, var_index, face_index, xfc, yfc, zfc)
>  !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: ubound
>
> Should I change something here?
>

Try:

SUBROUTINE ubound [STDCALL, ALIAS:'_UBOUND'] (bc_index, var_index,
face_index, xfc, yfc, zfc)
implicit none
integer(4)  :: bc_index[REFERENCE], var_index[REFERENCE],
face_index[REFERENCE]
real(8) :: xfc[REFERENCE], yfc[REFERENCE], zfc[REFERENCE]

(ditto for the other exports. If any arguments are arrays, append the dims
to [REFERENCE], ie, [REFERENCE] (dims) )

Your .def file would look like:

;DEF file
LIBRARY
EXPORTS
;  Function    Ordinal
;       --------    -------
;F95 exports
  ubound     @1
  uxe           @2
  ulib_check_version    @3

When you dumpbin/exports you'll see:

1    0 00009EC8 ubound
2    1 000094C0 uexe
3    2 000096A2 ulib_check_version


-- 
HTH,
Gerry T.
______
"Some of those writing letters to this program are slightly fictitious but
others definitely are not." -- Dick Cavett, host of The Detroit Symphony
Orchestra, PBS Radio.


0
gfthomas (618)
2/7/2005 12:06:40 AM
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:24:31 GMT, bv <bvoh@Xsdynamix.com> wrote:

>If it still matters, dll diffs you're seeing are probably due to a
>change in calling conventions - a misguided attempt to cut out their
>turf from the CVF user base.

The change in calling conventions was to improve compatibility with "the rest
of the world".  In hindsight, we should have made that change when we brought
out DVF in 1997.  The STDCALL default has been nothing but a headache for us
and our customers over the years.

Nevertheless, Intel Visual Fortran offers an /iface:cvf option, which is
applied by default when you convert a project, that keeps the defaults the
same as CVF.  So there should not be problems in this regard.


Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

User communities for Intel Software Development Products
  http://softwareforums.intel.com/
Intel Fortran Support
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/
0
2/7/2005 4:14:36 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
Hi, I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They offer an upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated. Does anybody have experiences going that route already? Thanks a lot. --hh -- It would be also interesting to know what happens with and AMD Athlon processor. Does the Intel Visual Fortran proposes optimizations for AMD ? NN a �crit : > Hi, > I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a W...

Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?
Hey As a C/C++ programmer (Fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77 (with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and include files) source to MS Windows. The original source runs under VMS, with differential compile support (cpp) for a number of Unix systems (Solaris, Digital Unix, IRIX, UNICOS). Which is the fastest way Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler for Windows or ...? thanx, Ivo silvestri@isitech.com (silvestri) writes: > As a C/C++ programmer (Fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77 > (with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and inclu...

Calling C from Fortran link problems (Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 & MS Visual Studio 8)...
Dear newsgroup, I am trying to call some C/C++ code from Fortran, but I cannot link the fortran exe correcly. I have C code that wraps a C++ class. For example, a C function like: extern "C" void BB_Initialise(void) { if (BB_Object != NULL) delete BB_Object; BB_Object = new BlockInternals(); }; /* BB_Initialise */ The above C wrapper is built into a static lib, using Microsoft Visual Studio 8: cl -c -MT -W3 -EHsc -O2 -Gy -D "WIN32" -D "NDEBUG" -D "_WINDOWS" -D "_MBCS" -D "_LIB" "..\src\FortranCWrapper.cpp" -out:&...

how to run Fortran codes in Compaq Visual Fortran?
I have a bunch of Fortran applications from my adviser and I need use them to create a executable program. My adviser gave me a makefile to do the job. But honestly, I don't know how to run the makefile in Cygwin. I changed the makefile to a two simple command line file and created an executable program. But due to some memory problem, the results are not complete. My adviser uses Compaq Visual Fotran 6.5 and generate an executable program works fine. However when I add all the Fortran application files into one project, I got tons of error message. I don't know what I did wrong. Pleas...

Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048
Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048 - new ! Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048 CD NR 15 878 BVisual Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL v8.0.048 - Intel Soft 15 798 INTEL.FORTRAN.COMPILER.V8.0.048 INTEL.FORTRAN.COMPILER.V8.0.IMSL.v5.0 INTEL.VTUNE.PERFORMANCE.ANALYZER.V7.1A Intel.Fortran.Compiler.for.Windows.v7.1.022 Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional 11 299 for more info, and for other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! ple...

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran #2
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

makefile from linux lahey fortran to intel visual fortran on windows
Hello! I am new with programming in fortran and I need some help with compiling. I have this program that uses a makefile for linux lahey fortran, and I want to make the program run on intel visual fortran. The program uses modules (which replace common blocks in fortran 77), and I don't know how to port the makefile. The makefile for linux lahey fortran looks like EXECUTABLE: main.o subroutine1.o subroutine2.o module.o lf95 -o EXECUTABLE main.o subroutine1.o subroutine2.o module.o main.o: main.f90 module.o makefile lf95 -c main.f90 subroutine1.o: subroutine1.f90 module.o makefile ...

How to link an Fortran f77 dll (Absoft Pro Fortran) with an existing f77 dll (Visual Fortran)
Hello, i have to connect an existing Fortran F77 DLL written in Visual Fortran to a new one. How can i link two DLLs together? I search an example, to understand how it works. Please help me! At the moment i have a dll called "example.dll". Within this dll are three functions: DOUBLE PRECISSION FUNCTION EXF1(A,B) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLL_EXPORT :: EXF1 !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : "EXF1" :: EXF1 REAL*8 A,B EXF1=A*2*B RETURN End DOUBLE PRECISSION FUNCTION EXF2(A,B) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLL_EXPORT :: EXF2 !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : "EXF2" :: EXF2 REAL*8 A,B EXF2...

Visual Fortran vs. Pro Fortran
I'm trying to decide between Visual Fortran and Pro Fortran for a software development project. I'm wondering if either is signicantly better when it comes to designing menus and user-dialog boxes in the application program. Thanks in advance. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Uebersax, PhD web: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsuebersax -------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Uebersax wrote: > > I'm trying to decide between Visual Fortran and Pro Fortran for a > software...

using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express
Steve Lionel said on the Intel Fortran forum that Intel Visual Fortran can work from the command line with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express. Could someone please describe the installation procedure? I am having trouble logging in to the Intel forum and cannot ask there. I can create object files but when trying to create an executable get the message ifort: error: could not find '\Bin' beliavsky@aol.com wrote: > Steve Lionel said on the Intel Fortran forum that Intel Visual Fortran > can work from the command line with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express. > Could someone pl...

Difference between Intel Visual Fortran and Compaq VF
Anybody knows how big the difference is? Are there any significant improvements from CVF to IVF? yaqi wrote: > Anybody knows how big the difference is? Are there any significant > improvements from CVF to IVF? Most if not all of the "public" differences are described on Intel's web site. Source code is almost 100% compatible. module use names may need to change slightly, many additional Windows APIs are documented, some errors in the definitions fixed and more standard conforming (used to be a lot of usage of 16#xxxxxxxx instead of z'xxxxxxxx', don't kn...

Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
Hi folks, I've been asked to provide a C++ GUI to an existing text based FORTRAN program. I'm familiar with both languages, although I have never had an occasion to mix them before. I've seen postings in this group that indicate mixing Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ works well. I have a few specific questions, though. 1. I have Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, and need to get a copy of C++ for the company I'm working for. Will Microsoft� Visual C++� .NET 2003 Standard Edition work well with Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, or do I need to drop back to Microsoft Visual...

Compaq Visual Fortran
Does anyone have a Compaq Visual Fortran compiler that they would not mind parting with? I am willing to buy one. Old Power flow software I have will only work with a Compaq fortran compiler. On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:21:08 -0700, delyn wrote: > Does anyone have a Compaq Visual Fortran compiler that they would not > mind parting with? I am willing to buy one. Old Power flow software > I have will only work with a Compaq fortran compiler. What is in your code that is so specific to PowerStation? The Intel compiler comes with lots of PowerStation compatability options, including, if...

Intel Visual Fortran
Hi All: I am a Compaq Visual FORTRAN user. I am trying to set up a new computers and looking for information on the state of the art on the compilers. Can someone write their recommendations for FORTRAN compilers for (i) XP and (ii) Linux platforms? Would you recommend Intel Visual FORTRAN for both XP and Linux? The following two questions are a bit out of place. But some of the members have experience. So I am seeking their experience and recommendations. The Linux servers will be mainly for the purpose of number crunching in FORTRAN. Which of the Linux builds are better? I mean, RedHat v...

IBM Visual Fortran
Hello, I must miss something. I use for years the Compaq Visual Fortran, which has a development environment. I downloaded the demo IBM Fortran. Look as like it's a DOS-command compiler. Does it have a Design environment for Windows similar to the old Compaq Visual Fortran? Please let me know Tuli tuli wrote: > Hello, > > I must miss something. I use for years the Compaq Visual Fortran, > which has a development environment. > I downloaded the demo IBM Fortran. Look as like it's a DOS-command > compiler. Does it have a Design environment for Windows similar to t...

Writing ANSI escape sequences from FORTRAN under Win2K using Visual Fortran
Please excuse me if I'm offtopic and provide me the right forum. I've an old Fortran-77 program writing ANSI escape sequences to position and color output to a screen. I would like to run it as a Console app or a quickwin app under Win2K using Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6. It compiles, links and runs but no positioning nor coloring. I loaded ANSI.SYS in CONFIG.SYS and CONFIG.NT. Apart from that I tried running a batchfile containing the well known ANSI.COM and the console app. All methods provided the same (negative) result. Questions: a) Does anyone know how to make ANSI.SYS load ...

Compaq Visual Fortran and HDF
Hello, is there anybody out there who managed to work with HDF-files using Compaq Visual Fortran. I am a little bit lost not knowing for example if there a precompiled binaries available which can be used with CVF. I downloaded some of the available ones but the next question arises: how to include the binaries ... May be someone can point me to the starting point I have not found by reading all these HDF documents... Thanks for your help in advance ! Cheers, Klemens In a previous article, Klemens <jokulhlaup@web.de> wrote: >Hello, > >is there anybody out there who manage...

Intel Visual Fortran in x64
Hi All, I got an x64 Windows based Intel machine that has come with a Intel Visual Fortran CD. Since my old Compaq Visual Fortran would not get installed on this 64 bit architecture, I was trying to ue the INtel compiler, and their MKL. Howeverm I am used to the Visual IDE, and so would like to use the Mrcrosft .NET IDE, as the Intel Fortran manuals say. Trouble is, even after installing the Visual Studio .NET 2005, I still do not see the Fortran option in the drop-down for the Project types. All that is there are the VB, VC, VC++ and VJava. Has anybody used the .NET IDE and the Intel Fortr...

Visual Fortran
What does the "Visual" mean in Visual Fortran? I last programmed with Fortran back in the 1980s and am thinking of getting back into it, and need to know what compiler to buy. And none of them explain the Visual part. F "Ffloyd" <Ffloyd@programming.com> wrote in message news:ep2fk65r9a696u2r1qd6n3uaqsjmfjr9n2@4ax.com... > What does the "Visual" mean in Visual Fortran? > I last programmed with Fortran back in the 1980s and am thinking of > getting back into it, and need to know what compiler to buy. And none > of them explain the Visual part. It means it integrates with Visual Studio. There are a few freeware compilers of which gfortran seems to be the most actively maintained currently. If you're on Windows, it's easiest in my opinion to go to http://www.equation.com and download it. Since you programmed in the '80s, you probably will be comfortable with a command-line interface. If you've got the money, I would consider Intel Visual Fortran to be a good value. About the 'visual' part: I have Norman Lawrence's book, Compaq Visual Fortran, A Guide to Creating Windows Applications, and enjoy it. The examples from the book may be found at the book's website: http://www.elsevierdirect.com/companion.jsp?ISBN=9781555582494 Also I found it at google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=0C9FTm_xBa8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=norman+lawrence+fortran&...

Compaq Visual Fortran and Netcdf
Hi all, reading several messages here and in the internet I realized that running netcdf with Compaq Visual Fortran seems to be a little bit tricky. When I encountered similar problems with HDF I got some old binaries from the HDF developers and in the end it worked properly... Is there anybody who managed to run Netcdf routines in combination with CVF ? I always got some linkage problems when building the project. Are there precompiled binaries available or do I have to compile it on my own ? I would be very happy if somebody could provide me some information how to manage this problem. Th...

Macros in Compaq Visual Fortran
Hi, I have a bunch of old Fortran programs that could REALLY benefit from macros. Lots of repeated code and repeated code with just one neme changing. Now I see CVF has !if !else !endif and with /fpp #if #else #endif but no mention of your basic #define mycode(x,y) style of macros. Is there any simple way of interposing a preprocessor in there? I have several cpp's ready to slip right in. Thanks, George CVF has this ability, but you have to turn it on by adding the switch /fpp:"/m" - this enables macro substitution. There isn't a direct option for this in the IDE, s...

Compiling compaq visual fortran
Hi all, I am trying to compile a program written in Compacq Visual Fortran using fortran 77.But it give a lot of errors in Allocating Arrays and defining characters. Is that because f77 has non compatibility problems with Compacq Visual Fortran? If so could you please let me know whether it is possible to convert the command to run in f77 compiler or do I have to fgo for fortran 90 comlier?Is Compacq Visual Fortran compatilble with fortran 90? Will I have to do modifications to my code if I want to complile with F90? your answers will be very much appreciated.. Thanks..:) Anf On Thu, 12 ...

EDITOR: Compaq Visual Fortran
Hi All, I have used Compaq Visual Fortran (CVF) for several years. Now I am using version 6.6. The editor, for fixed format, i.e. 1-6 for comments, label, etc., 7-72 for body of code, etc. to me is so annoying. The autoindent doesn't work that well; everytime I need to indent a line, I still always need to fix it with 'space-bar' key etc etc. I am just wondering if there is somehing that can be done in this editor to fix this problem. Somebody might have this problem before? Any suggestion to fix it? Thanks, KIS kis wrote: > Hi All, > > I have used Compaq Visual For...

Web resources about - Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran - comp.lang.fortran

Berlaymont building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...  / 50.84361; 4.38278 Coordinates : 50°50′37″N 4°22′58″E  /  50.84361°N 4.38278°E  / 50.84361; 4.38278 The Berlaymont is an office building ...

Bedroom 'drops through floor' as building collapses in Enfield
The owners of L.A Lulu's Touch of Style hairdressing salon stood on Liverpool Road in Enfield on Tuesday and watched as the family business they ...

It took Verizon seven months to fix Internet outage in NYC building
... in Harlem. (credit: Vernon Williams) Last summer, a manhole fire knocked out Verizon telephone and DSL Internet service at an apartment building ...

About 100 Workers Walk Out at Tesla Battery Plant Building Site
At least 100 workers at the construction site for Tesla Motors Inc.’s battery factory near Reno, Nevada, walked off the job Monday to protest ...

Hillary: ‘We Don’t Need to Make America Great,’ ‘Instead of Building Walls, We Need To Be Tearing Down ...
Hillary: 'We Don't Need to Make America Great,' 'Instead of Building Walls, We Need To Be Tearing Down Barriers'

The biggest challenge building a mobile app has nothing to do with how the app works
... chart from BI Intelligence , based on a survey by mobile advertising firm InMobi , shows the biggest challenge app developers face in building ...

L.A. skyscraper building slide 70 floors above ground
Downtown L.A. skyline is about to get a whole lot more exciting and possibly a little scary for anyone afraid of heights

Should Christians let Muslims use their buildings?
A Church of Scotland minister has spoken of the backlash he suffered after he opened his church for Muslim Friday prayers after the local mosque ...

Trump: Everything But Building The Wall Is Negotiable
Trump: Everything But Building The Wall Is Negotiable

The 6 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid When Building a Brand
... to branding decisions, sometimes one bad mistake can derail even the best idea. Q: What are the most common mistakes we should avoid when building ...

Resources last updated: 3/2/2016 4:37:43 PM