first book published on Fortran?

What was the first book written on Fortran? I think that one of the
first was

A Guide to Fortran Programming
by Daniel D. McCracken
Wiley (1961),

which can still be purchased on Amazon (used). I bought the book out
of curiosity and was pleased to see that most of the code is legal
(fixed format)
Fortran 95!
0
beliavsky (2213)
12/1/2003 9:08:12 PM
comp.lang.fortran 11941 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:08:12 -0800, beliavsky wrote:
> What was the first book written on Fortran?

The Reference Manual and Programmer's Primer from IBM were the first
books.  They were published when IBM released the first implementation
of the language (FORTRAN I) for the 704 scientific computer in the mid
1950's.

"Reference manual: FORTRAN automatic coding system for the IBM 704
EDPM" by J.W. Backus et al. published by IBM in October 1956.
Originally IBM Form 32-7026.  Superseded by 32-7026-1 and then Form
C28-6003 (October 1958). ~56 pages.

"General Information Manual: Programmer's Primer for FORTRAN Automatic
Coding System for the IBM 704 Data Processing System", originally IBM
Form 32-0306, superseded by Form 32-0306-1 and later forms.  ~64
pages.

> I bought the book out of curiosity and was pleased to see that most
> of the code is legal (fixed format) Fortran 95!

Last week, I found a 44 (fourty four) year old FORTRAN II subroutine
that computes the determinant of a matrix.  Strangely it compiled
under g77 with only one change, the intrinsic function ABSF has since
become ABS.  Scary stuff.

-Leif
0
lharcke (25)
12/2/2003 2:29:18 AM
In article <pan.2003.12.02.02.29.18.34461.27633@stanford.edu>,
Leif Harcke  <lharcke@stanford.edu> wrote:

>Last week, I found a 44 (fourty four) year old FORTRAN II subroutine
>that computes the determinant of a matrix.  Strangely it compiled
>under g77 with only one change, the intrinsic function ABSF has since
>become ABS.  Scary stuff.

I suppose 44 years is scary in the computer world. I assume you had hard
copy: a 44-year-old tape or deck of cards might be a bit hard to read by
now, and you might even struggle to find a reader for it.

If you go to the British Museum you can look at the Codex Sinaiticus
which is over 1500 years old, and you can still read it if you know
Greek. If you want to annoy a computer shop, ask if their floppies or
CD-ROMs or whatever will still be usable 1500 years from now.

John Harper, School of Mathematical and Computing Sciences,
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand
e-mail john.harper@vuw.ac.nz phone (+64)(4)463 5341 fax (+64)(4)463 5045
0
harper (719)
12/2/2003 3:28:34 AM
<beliavsky@aol.com> wrote in message
> What was the first book written on Fortran? I think that one of the
> first was
>
> A Guide to Fortran Programming
> by Daniel D. McCracken
> Wiley (1961),

It is unclear whether the first published book (as opposed to vendor's
manual) was McCracken ( I have the fourth, 1962, printing) or

A FORTRAN Primer
by Elliot I. Organick
Addison-Wesley (1963)

since the latter was available, I understand, informally also in 1961. I
have the second printing. An extract is appended.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

C        SOLUTION OF QUADRATIC EQUATION
C        (P. 122 OF A FORTRAN PRIMER BY E. ORGANICK)
    1 READ INPUT TAPE 5, 51, ANAME, N
   51 FORMAT(A6,I2)
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6,52, ANAME
   52 FORMAT(1H1,33HROOTS OF QUADRATIC EQUATIONS FROM A6)
      DO 21 I = 1, N
      READ INPUT TAPE 5, 53, A, B, C
   53 FORMAT(3F10.2)
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6,54, I, A, B, C
   54 FORMAT(1H0,8HSET NO. I2/5H A = F8.2,12X,4HB = F8.2,12X,4HC = F8.2)
      IF(A) 10, 7, 10
    7 RLIN = -C/B
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6, 55, RLIN
   55 FORMAT(7H LINEAR,25X,4HX = F10.3)
      GO TO 21
   10 D = B**2 - 4.*A*C
      IF(D) 12, 17, 17
   12 COMPR = -B/(2.*A)
      COMP1 = SQRTF(-D)/(2.*A)
      COMP2= -COMP1
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6, 56, COMPR, COMP1, COMPR, COMP2
   56 FORMAT(8H COMPLEX,21X,7HR(X1)= F10.3,11X,7HI(X1)= F10.3,/1H ,28X,
     17HR(X2)= F10.3,11X,7HI(X2)= F10.3)
   16 GO TO 21
   17 REAL1 = (-B + SQRTF(D))/(2.*A)
      REAL2 = (-B - SQRTF(D))/(2.*A)
   20 WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6, 57, REAL1, REAL2
   57 FORMAT(6H REAL 25X,5HX1 = F10.3,13X,5HX2 = F10.3)
   21 CONTINUE
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6, 58, ANAME
   58 FORMAT(8H0END OF A6)
      GO TO 1
      END

0
metcalfm (125)
12/2/2003 8:21:02 AM
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:21:02 -0800, Michael Metcalf wrote:
> It is unclear whether the first published book (as opposed to
> vendor's manual) was McCracken ( I have the fourth, 1962, printing)
> or "A FORTRAN Primer" by Elliot I. Organick Addison-Wesley (1963)
> since the latter was available, I understand, informally also in
> 1961.

Organick's original books (2 volumes) were published by the Univ. of
Houston computing center in 1961, and republished in a single volume
by Addison-Wesley in 1963.  We still have the originals in cold
storage here.

"A primer for programming with the FORTRAN language," Houston :
Computing and Data processing Center, University of Houston, 1961.
~101 pages.

"Drill exercises and example problems for A primer for programming
with the FORTRAN language," Houston: Computing and Data Processing
Center, University of Houston, 1961.  ~105 pages.

-Leif
0
lharcke (25)
12/3/2003 10:58:14 PM
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:28:34 -0800, John Harper wrote:
> I assume you had hard copy: a 44-year-old tape or deck of cards
> might be a bit hard to read by now, and you might even struggle to
> find a reader for it.

Actually, it was an electronic copy.  It started life in 1959 as an 80
column punch card deck, migrated to 7 track BCD tape using the IBM 704
FORTRAN 6-bit BCD character set, migrated again to 9 track tape while
preserving the character encoding, then to 8mm Exabyte, and is now a
bytestream file on ISO-9660 CD-ROM with the 7 bits of the BCD tape
encoding (6 character bits + 1 parity) taking up the 7 least
significant bits in a standard 8-bit byte.

-Leif
0
lharcke (25)
12/4/2003 8:21:18 AM
Thanks to the people who responded to my question about the first
Fortran book.
As someone mentioned, one of the first books was

A FORTRAN Primer
by Elliott Organick
Addison-Wesley (1963)

In Appendix F, after he lists under "General literature on FORTRAN"
the following books:

"General Information Manual -- FORTRAN"
IBM Bulletin, form F28-8074-1
(year not given)

A Guide to FORTRAN Programming
by David D. McCracken
John Wiley (1961)

Computer Language, An Autoinstructional -- General Introduction to
FORTRAN
by H. L. Coleman and C. Smallwood
McGraw-Hill (1962)

So I think these were the first books on FORTRAN, the OTPL :).

Organick also lists the early compiler manuals, mostly by IBM, with
one entry by Honeywell.
0
beliavsky (2213)

Re: first book published on Fortran?
beliavsky@aol.com writes: > What was the first book written on Fortran? I think that one of the > first was > > A Guide to Fortran Programming > by Daniel D. McCracken > Wiley (1961), > > which can still be purchased on Amazon (used). I bought the book out > of curiosity and was pleased to see that most of the code is legal > (fixed format) While some of the code may be legal, its meaning has changed, e.g., one-trip DO loops etc. > Fortran 95! robin <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> writes: > While some of the code may be legal, its meaning has ch...

Re: first book published on Fortran? #2
Richard Maine <nospam@see.signature> writes: > robin <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> writes: > > > While some of the code may be legal, its meaning has changed, > > e.g., one-trip DO loops etc. > > No. This is a widely help misconception, but it is a misconception. > One-trip DO loops have never been a feature of standard, portable > Fortran of any vintage (including vintages before the formal ASA > standard). Whether or not it was a misconception is irrelevant. The fact is that most if not all compilers of the time always executed the loop at lea...

Re: first book published on Fortran? #3
beliavsky@aol.com writes: > Thanks to the people who responded to my question about the first > Fortran book. > As someone mentioned, one of the first books was > > A FORTRAN Primer > by Elliott Organick > Addison-Wesley (1963) > > In Appendix F, after he lists under "General literature on FORTRAN" > the following books: > > "General Information Manual -- FORTRAN" > IBM Bulletin, form F28-8074-1 > (year not given) > > A Guide to FORTRAN Programming > by David D. McCracken Daniel D. McCracken? > John Wiley (1961) ...

A Fortran book for returning to Fortran?
What book would you recommend for returning to Fortran after many years without it? I have several years of Fortran experience, most of it with versions before Fortran 77, and never did learn many of the new features of Fortran 77. Robert Miles On 10/23/2011 03:53 AM, Robert Miles wrote: > What book would you recommend for returning to Fortran after many years > without it? > > I have several years of Fortran experience, most of it with versions > before Fortran 77, and never did learn many of the new features of > Fortran 77. How about Fortran 95/2008 ? Is there a reason you want to stop at Fortran 77 ? If you are willing to go all the way to modern Fortran, I would go for "Modern Fortran Explained" by Metcalf, Reid and Cohen 2011. I have used the previous edition and I liked it a lot, and I'm planning to buy the current edition: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Explained-Numerical-Mathematics-Scientific-Computation/dp/0199601429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319359949&sr=8-1 But this book is strictly about modern Fortran. It intentionally avoids all obsolete features from Fortran 77. Cheers, Daniel. On 10/23/2011 4:56 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote: > On 10/23/2011 03:53 AM, Robert Miles wrote: >> What book would you recommend for returning to Fortran after many years >> without it? >> >> I have several years of Fortran experience, most of it with versions >> before Fortran 77, and never did learn many of ...

First Fortran program vectorized with experimental version of GNU Fortran.
Lectoribus Salutem, A compiler built from an experimental branch of the GNU Compiler Collection today (well, actually, yesterday) compiled and vectorized a Fortran 95 program for the first time. The example program is: DIMENSION A(1000000), B(1000000), C(1000000) READ*, X, Y A = LOG(X); B = LOG(Y); C = A + B PRINT*, C(500000) END It was vectorized (checked by visual inspection of the resulting assembler file) on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, my G4 Power Book. Dorit mailed me yesterday that the example program vectorized correctly on her machine (a G5 based Mac). The current plan for the...

Recent book published covering FORTRAN
Logikal Solutions has released "The Minimum You Need to Know to Be an OpenVMS Application Developer" ISBN 0-9770866-0-7. This book covers developing the same application in BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL and C/C++. The use of RMS indexed files and RDB Database. MySQL is also covered, but only from a C perspective. The FMS screen management library, MMS/CMS, DCL and a host of other concepts. It is designed so a person familiar with one of the covered languages can both quickly come up to speed on OpenVMS, and learn another of the covered languages by comparing the programs. You can learn...

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran #2
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

Calling a Fortran DLL from Fortran
In calling a FORTRAN DLL, from FORTRAN code, one needs to place the DLL in = a path that is searched by the Windows operating system. Placing the DLL in= a folder other than the ones in the PATH environment variable, will cause = the call to fail. Does anyone know how to call a DLL that is stored in a fo= lder not in the Windows path? In VB one uses the Declare statement to accom= plish that. I tried GETENVQQ to get the Path environment variable, then aug= ment the path of the DLL and then using the SETENVQQ to update the PATH en= vironment variable but I haven't been able to succ...

Fortran to C to Fortran Arrays
I'm doing a little research. I want to create a multi-dimensional array in fortran containing real values and pass it to a C/C++ program. In the C/C++ program the array will be loaded with values gathered using a libjpeg library or something (haven't figured that out yet). Then I want to return this array back to the Fortran program, loaded with data so that it can be handled there. I have not started to write code yet on this I am just researching some. Can this be done? deadpickle wrote: > I'm doing a little research. I want to create a multi-dimensional > array in fortran...

fortran
What's the fortran equivalent to C's kandr2? If there is any. Bill "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in news:kbameg$2ci$1@dont- email.me: > What's the fortran equivalent to C's kandr2? If there is any. > > Bill > > > My crystal globe is a bit fuzzy at the moment. What is kandr2??? I dont recognize it as a legal keyword/function. Google wont show a man page for it. Sjouke Burry wrote: > "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in > news:kbameg$2ci$1@dont- email.me: ...

FORTRAN
I was planning on using Fortran 77 for a project I am undertaking, but are there any later versions supporting derived types that have a free online guide (or pdf file) as to the language structure?? ie Fortran 90? Thanks "iantheengineer" <do@youthinkimdaftenuff.edu> wrote in message news:ca3mss$p53$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > I was planning on using Fortran 77 for a project I am undertaking, but are > there any later versions supporting derived types that have a free online > guide (or pdf file) as to the language structure?? ie Fortran 90? > You will find lo...

Fortran
Another item I found in my friends junk is the "Apple FORTRAN Language Reference Manual" and original floppies. The disks are labeled "FORT 1" and "FORT2" and are in the original cardboard sleeve. There is also a duplicate of the "FORT2" disk in another cardboard sleeve. When I get a chance, I'll see if the disks are still readable. The manual has slight water damage on the back cover, but is otherwise in good shape. If there is any interest, I'll pass it on to my friend. In article <917894e7-4d7d-49af-b08c-89069da9c7e4@q30g2000prq.googlegro...

FORTRAN
POWER TO YOU, EVERY BODY I want to read all frames of a film by fortran software, picture by picture. is it possible ? how? mohsen sajadi <sajadi111@yahoo.com> wrote: > POWER TO YOU, EVERY BODY [Caution: at least here outside the ancient realm of FORTRAN, writing in ALL CAPITALS is considered shouting, and thus impolite...] > I want to read all frames of a film by fortran software, picture by > picture. is it possible ? Probably yes, if that's what you really want to do. But it completely evades me why anyone would want to do that, other than for the perverse fun of being able to. ;-) > how? Impossible to say --- you completely forgot to say what file format that "film" of yours is stored in. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain. Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<2q3la8Fr1qikU3@uni-berlin.de>... > mohsen sajadi <sajadi111@yahoo.com> wrote: > > POWER TO YOU, EVERY BODY > > [Caution: at least here outside the ancient realm of FORTRAN, writing > in ALL CAPITALS is considered shouting, and thus impolite...] Since the 1990 standard, the official spelling is "Fortran", not using all upper case. Also, lower and upper case letters can be mixed in a source code. On 6 Sep 2004 17:32:56 GMT, Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote: >[Caution: at least he...

Fortran
Dear colleges ! I want to work with FortranCompiler and start it from Matlab 6.5. Programs in Fortran should use IMSL,NAG,NETLIB library. Which Compiler do you suggest ?? I have Windows 2000 professional. thanks, Andreas Andreas wrote: > > Dear colleges ! > > I want to work with FortranCompiler and start it from Matlab 6.5. > Programs in Fortran should use IMSL,NAG,NETLIB library. > > Which Compiler do you suggest ?? > I have Windows 2000 professional. You might go to www.fortran.com to see a list of various Windows compilers and features plus links to other use...

Fortran
Is there cheaper Fortran compilers to Mac Os X than Absoft Pro Fortran v9.0 for OS X or IBM XL Fortran Compiler 8.1 for OS X Commercial versions are Pro Fortran Compiler & Tools 9.0 97PCOSX1 $899.00~ Buy now and XL Fortran Compiler & Tools 8.1 XLFOSX381C $999.00 Buy now Heikki Jamsa heikki.jamsa@mail.suomi.net On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:21:49 +0200, Heikki J�ms� (heikki.jamsa@mail.suomi.net) wrote: > > Is there cheaper Fortran compilers to Mac Os X > than Absoft Pro Fortran v9.0 for OS X > or > IBM XL Fortran Compiler 8....

How to link an Fortran f77 dll (Absoft Pro Fortran) with an existing f77 dll (Visual Fortran)
Hello, i have to connect an existing Fortran F77 DLL written in Visual Fortran to a new one. How can i link two DLLs together? I search an example, to understand how it works. Please help me! At the moment i have a dll called "example.dll". Within this dll are three functions: DOUBLE PRECISSION FUNCTION EXF1(A,B) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLL_EXPORT :: EXF1 !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : "EXF1" :: EXF1 REAL*8 A,B EXF1=A*2*B RETURN End DOUBLE PRECISSION FUNCTION EXF2(A,B) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLL_EXPORT :: EXF2 !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : "EXF2" :: EXF2 REAL*8 A,B EXF2...

Translate Fortran 77 to Fortran 95
Can anyone recommend a reference for translating Fortran 77 idioms to Fortran 95 idioms? This is more than just translating fixed form to free form. I've been tasked with making an estimate for converting old Fortran 77 code to Fortran 95 making some improvements, such as: 1)Make it compile with f95 compiler from the gfortran package. 2)Add IMPLICIT NONE ; 3)Use MODULES; 4)Eliminate GOTO; 5)Eliminate jumping out of loops; 6)Do something about COMMON blocks (mostly used as part of memory management by linker script and to simulate a kind of C struct); And more. The code...

Intel fortran and fortran 77 standard!
Hi! I am trying to recompile lapack 3.0 with Intel fortran, but I am getting compiler errors in ilaenv.f I tried to skip that file to see what happens, but there are more errors. Can Lapack be compiled with Intel compiler at all? I was using CVF 6.1 by now and any hints on how to avoid trouble are welcome. Thanks! Atmapuri. "Atmapuri" <janez.makovsek@usa.net> wrote in message news:QN6jc.1589$37.232466@news.siol.net... > Hi! > > I am trying to recompile lapack 3.0 with Intel > fortran, but I am getting compiler errors in ilaenv.f > I tried to skip that file...

Going from Fortran IV for CDC to any other Fortran
I have been trying trying to help the brother of a hopeful fortran using sister to get her earthquake processing software converted to useable compilable code. (Yes, they might have picked someone else, but,,,) I am acting as moderator of an under-used Fortran forum and trying to do my best. The problems I saw were 1) The program was written for a CDC computer that used integer*4 words of at least 48 bits in width, because all text was stored in 2-D arrays of 6 characters, initialised and manipulated as integers and written out using A6 fomats. 2) calls to machine-dependent timing...

Installing Fortran 95 (The Fortran Company)
This is my first visit and post so I am sure that someone will let me know if this is not the proper forum for this info request. I recently purchased a CD on Fortran95 from The Fortran Company (actually a Fortran CD and a Gygwin CD for Windows XP). If anyone has had experience on a successful installation, I would like to know. I am trying to run what should be simple-minded examples using an associated development interface called Photran and can't seem to get to first base. I would appreciate any comment or re-direction. "TexRon" <ronbowden.mail2@gmail.com> wrote ...

Visual Fortran vs. Pro Fortran
I'm trying to decide between Visual Fortran and Pro Fortran for a software development project. I'm wondering if either is signicantly better when it comes to designing menus and user-dialog boxes in the application program. Thanks in advance. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Uebersax, PhD web: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsuebersax -------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Uebersax wrote: > > I'm trying to decide between Visual Fortran and Pro Fortran for a > software...

VAX VMS Fortran to Fortran 77
I'm Compiling some Fortran source from the FCC using a couple compilers. One is Gfortran, the other is Microsoft Fortran 5.1 and I'm running into some compile errors due to som dialect differences between the VA VMS aqnd Fortran 77. I have Googled until my fingers a sore from typing, and I have not found a good resource that comprehensively spells out the dialect differences. Anyone in the group here know of such a source? Anyone here have experience with going from VAX VMS fortran to Fortran 77? Thanks Jeff Chief Engineer Northern Illinois University On 6/9/2010 10...

Calling Fortran 77 from Fortran 95
When calling Fortran 77 from Fortran 95, how can I make sure the compiler will pass a contiguous array and not a dope array struct? On 2011-03-06 14:07:38 -0400, sturlamolden said: > When calling Fortran 77 from Fortran 95, how can I make sure the > compiler will pass a contiguous array and not a dope array struct? In a narrow sense your question is meaningless as F77 is a subset of F95. What you probably meant was what happens when a F95 compiler finds that it does not have an explicit interface to some procedure. That is well defined and yields what you are probably thinking of as...

Web resources about - first book published on Fortran? - comp.lang.fortran

List of anonymously published works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Throughout the history of literature , since the creation of bound texts in the forms of books and codices , various works have been published ...

Facebook IPO Primer Published
Someone wrote a whole book dedicated to Facebook’s initial public offer ? That’s like asking whether there’s a whole blog dedicated to Facebook. ...

Now it's official! It has been published in the media. Facebook has just release - Facebook-Hilfeforum ...
Now it's official! It has been published in the media. Facebook has just released the entry price: $5.99 to keep the subscription of your status ...

#PanOptics2014 @trevorpaglen #NSA photo he published @the_intercept @ArtistsReport #rightscon #snowden ...
paglen.com firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/02/10/new-photos-... www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/the-practi... democra ...

Dexter Holland Discusses His Recently Published Paper 3/22/2013 - YouTube
The Offspring's Dexter Holland talks about the paper he recently published for his doctorate: Identification of Human MicroRNA-Like Sequences ...

Kirk Douglas obituary published in error on eve of 98th birthday
... Kirk Douglas has achieved many things in his 97 years. Proofreading his obituary is now one of them, after People magazine accidently published ...

Azerbaijan election result published before polling starts
Something funny happened the day before Azerbaijan's presidential election: the election commission announced the winner.

Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online
AN Australian man has won a landmark defamation case against Google after images of him were published alongside gangland figures including drug ...

Secrets behind James Bond revealed on 60th anniversary of first book being published
IT IS one of the most famous lines in cinema history, but the legendary introduction, "Bond&#8201;.&#8201;.&#8201;. James Bond", might never ...

Tolkien's first prose to be published
The first prose piece by Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien, written in 1914-1915 will be published.